Best way to improve in the 1st round...

Mike135

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Stark said:

Trade down, just trade down..... I am so sick of hearing every "draft expert" saying trade down. It is not trading down, it is a team trading for your pick. We don't call teams and say, "uh, hey guys we want to trade down." seriously..

Yes, we all know trading down and acquiring more picks will benefit us and if the opportunity presents itself we SHOULD take it. Seriously though, stop with this "trade down" odds are we won't be having any offers worthy of trading down for.

What are you talking about?  Teams are always phoning  other teams and saying 'We are willing to trade down' Talks take place before the draft and a framework for compensation is usually layed out then gets adjusted at the draft. 

Whether you get any action from teams wanting to trade up is another matter but if a team has an eye on a guy they like they make calls to teams drafting earler and if a team wants more picks they will at least let teams know they will trade down.

The draft almost always has some surprises and guys who you never dreamed of 'being there' fall so you better be ready to trade if the oppo arises.

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

these are all good points Slats. But I'm not taking a RB at #6.  Still think it is a waste and I am far from convinced that Fournette is the next Elliot or Marcus Allen.  I would not be averse to a trade down for Fournette (I'm thinking that GMs are not going to be persuaded to go the Cowboys 2016 draft route and take a RB that early, so he should be there further down in round 1.  I still don't like the pick no matter how good he might be.  Too much risk.  RBs have short life spans and very few teams run one-horse backs.  We can do better in this draft than that.

i'm not a fan of taking a rb at 6, however, if the jets are in /or think they can win this year and settle the qb position by signing a guy like glennon then the fournette makes some sense. with the 6 pick they really need an impact player and it doesn't matter which side of the ball the guy plays on.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

that's interesting, b/c it would really set up the wrs and allow them to walk away from decker/marshall and even provides a red zone threat.  

Absolutely, and I wouldn't be disappointed with picking Williams.  Picking Fournette doesn't save us any cap space because pretty sure Powell and Forte are all guaranteed.  While the Williams pick would allow us to drop Marshall or Decker (I'd drop Decker). 

If Fournette was just a normal great RB (like Zeke), yeah... think I'd choose Williams because of the cap savings and WRs are more important in today's game.

But Fournette may really be a once in a generation RB.  So I'd gamble on him.

Won't complain if Williams is the pick though.

16 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Is Williams even the top WR prospect? I lean Corey Davis and would not take either at 6.

Supposedly.  I could be wrong as I don't follow college ball, but I've seen a few mock drafts that have him going top 10.

27 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Is Williams even the top WR prospect? I lean Corey Davis and would not take either at 6.

Watch the Clemson-OSU semi, and what he did to the OSU secondary that has two top ten guys in this draft. Then watch the 2nd half vs Bama, which has 5-6 first rd draft picks. I think that will answer your question.:D

7 hours ago, Mike135 said:

8 weeks until we find our identity?

If there was a top notch QB or LT, I'd be all over that.

However considering there's not, it's real hard to find a better option than this...

Sure a top notch Safety, CB or LB would be nice as well, but giving this offense an identity in a way that would also seriously help take the pressure of a young QB just seems like something the team can't pass up.

Imo, no other pick in this draft improves the team overall more than Fournette.  He'd be a young QB's best friend.  Which of course filters down to the oline, WRs and defense.

This is our identity ha http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67194/are-jets-planning-to-copy-16-browns-thanks-but-no-tanks-please

two yr draft plan.. CB is deep this yr, pick 1 or two.. qb much better class next yr.. re-build the dam line in these two yrs.. 

8 hours ago, Mike135 said:

8 weeks until we find our identity?

If there was a top notch QB or LT, I'd be all over that.

However considering there's not, it's real hard to find a better option than this...

Sure a top notch Safety, CB or LB would be nice as well, but giving this offense an identity in a way that would also seriously help take the pressure of a young QB just seems like something the team can't pass up.

Imo, no other pick in this draft improves the team overall more than Fournette.  He'd be a young QB's best friend.  Which of course filters down to the oline, WRs and defense.

If he's the next Earl Campbell (who is the greatest RB I've ever seen) I will absolutely not be upset at this pick. 

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I still like Cook over Fournette at Rb and will not be at all surprised if he goes before fournette.

The Jets will take a CB or S orrrrr if we happen to let Harris go Rueben Foster

I hope note. Unless you get a Woodson or a Polamalu they do not have #6 pick impact on a team

52 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

An NFL rb is only as good as his ol. Take a guy like Demarco Murray and throw him behind DAL offensive line and he's all world. Send him to PHI and he's pedestrian and bouncing around the league. There is one RB in the last 20 years that broke this theory with AP. Fournette is not AP.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Right.  Many think Fournette is better than AP.

9 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Meh. I don't see it. Fournette isn't close to Peterson and the comparison as NFL talents is laughable. Peterson is a complete back. Fournette is a two down back that needs to be in a certain system to be worth anything. Hard pass. 

18 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Meh. I don't see it. Fournette isn't close to Peterson and the comparison as NFL talents is laughable. Peterson is a complete back. Fournette is a two down back that needs to be in a certain system to be worth anything. Hard pass. 

Adrian Peterson is a terrible pass catcher . He himself is a 2 down back a damn good one tho.. but that's why they had Chester Taylor for all those years to be the 3rd down back .. 

in the past 10 years Matt Forte and Zeke where more complete than AP coming out .. 

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

Adrian Peterson is a terrible pass catcher . He himself is a 2 down back a damn good one tho.. but that's why they had Chester Taylor for all those years to be the 3rd down back .. 

Not true at all. He's very solid in the screen game. He's not a Bell or Johnson, but he had 30 catches two years ago and has had 40 plus a few years. 

26 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Not true at all. He's very solid in the screen game. He's not a Bell or Johnson, but he had 30 catches two years ago and has had 40 plus a few years. 

I don't got to make it up

Peterson's struggles with blocking and protection have sidelined him on third downs for most of his career, thus taking away many opportunities to catch passes, but with ten dropped passes last year and a reception rate nearly 15% below the league leader, it makes it tough to trust him in the passing game on a regular basis.

Read more: http://kfan.iheart.com/onair/vikings-blog-38526/historically-speaking-how-bad-of-a-12507064/#ixzz4aGwuocYO

FYI I don't think Fournette is as good as AP.. I'm just saying he had plenty flaws coming out too.. but I have never in my life seen a RB run as violent as AP with the ball in his hands.. I have yet to see that from Fournette

I hope note. Unless you get a Woodson or a Polamalu they do not have #6 pick impact on a team

I dunno , they are saying Hooker has the best ball skills anyone has seen out of a FS , ever ! And Jamaal Adams is right up there in being able to cover TE, solid tackling and playmaker .

I wouldn't mind either . I'd lean towards Adams as he has more of a body of work and apparently a natural born leader ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, YouPlay2Win said:

I dunno , they are saying Hooker has the best ball skills anyone has seen out of a FS , ever ! And Jamaal Adams is right up there in being able to cover TE, solid tackling and playmaker .

I wouldn't mind either . I'd lean towards Adams as he has more of a body of work and apparently a natural born leader ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please take hooker at #6. He fits a very bad need at safety. Tennessee will take Adams before us most likely

Archived