Draft Rumors

C Mart

1 minute ago, Mecca said:

He's a great luxury pick to a team that thinks they might be close. That is not us. 

How is a 4 down player 25+ touch guy a "luxury pick"?  OJ Howard is a luxury pick, McCaffery is a guy who can be an entire offense for any team not just a team who thinks they are 1 player away.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Is McCaffery really the 6th best player in the draft or is everyone just all of a sudden 48 hours before the draft buying into this insane predraft hype surrounding him.

He might be great but my god, at 6?  No F'ing way.

It doesn't speak to the quality and bona Fides at the very top  of this class. But it's also possible he is a generational talent. His hand eye / hip feet coordination, his hands and versatility - he has the attention of GMs

Just now, Lupz27 said:

How is a 4 down player 25+ touch guy a "luxury pick"?  OJ Howard is a luxury pick, McCaffery is a guy who can be an entire offense for any team not just a team who thinks they are 1 player away.

howard is not a luxury pick.  he would improve the passing game, the running game and the red zone offense.  if the jets are serious about hackenberg, they should give him a real TE.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

howard is not a luxury pick.  he would improve the passing game, the running game and the red zone offense.  if the jets are serious about hackenberg, they should give him a real TE.

OJ Howard is the most overhyped player since Eric Ebron, another wasted top 10 pick.  Or maybe more close to home Kyle Brady (supposed to improve the run game, pass game, and red zone, worked out well lol).

2 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

Lol, all along McCaffrey was thought to be the 3rd best back in this draft. Now he's apparently a generational talent.

It amazes me how the draft process morphs and warps things where a guy like Watson, who everyone was talking about going #1 following his dismantling of Bama in the title game, is now talked about as an overhyped scrub, and a nice player like McCaffrey, who I like, is all the sudden a generational talent. Lol

This crap happens every year.

Today have been my first comments on the draft here or anywhere. Used to post a lot over the past 15 years and on other boards but am super busy.

the RB class actually is remarkably strong this year. There is no question that mcCaffeey is a showcase. He is on a another level athletically and in terms of how he can be deployed.

thats not to say he is a better back than fournette, or cook, etc. it just means he is a special special talent.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

OJ Howard is the most overhyped player since Eric Ebron, another wasted top 10 pick.  Or maybe more close to home Kyle Brady (supposed to improve the run game, pass game, and red zone, worked out well lol).

i can't speak to whether howard is overhyped.  but in general, the jets offense has been hindered by no TE, they're much easier to defend and they're constantly using a guy who cannot contribute in the passing game.  they need to finally fix this, for good.  

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Taking a TE while potential franchise QBs are still on the board is just so historically Jets.

13 minutes ago, Pcola said:

It's not hard to be a GM in this league if you luck up and have a franchise QB.

Right now Macc sucks.  But if he survives this year and lands Darnold in the next draft, he can look like a genius as well.

I guess but Marcus Mariota isnt winning them games.  He's the ultimate game manager right now as their passing attack sucks.  In fact, I think he's probably lost them more games than he's won them.  That team is all about that OL and the running game that Robinson built.  He's stocked piled picks too...they're in good shape right now.    

i can't speak to whether howard is overhyped.  but in general, the jets offense has been hindered by no TE, they're much easier to defend and they're constantly using a guy who cannot contribute in the passing game.  they need to finally fix this, for good.  

Their OC did not employ a TE. It's that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

10 minutes ago, Vader said:

It doesn't speak to the quality and bona Fides at the very top  of this class. But it's also possible he is a generational talent. His hand eye / hip feet coordination, his hands and versatility - he has the attention of GMs

No offense but if I hear "generational talent" one more time, I might lose my ******* mind.

13 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I dont understand this take at all.  Howard is a 3 down TE who can do it all from, blocking edge rushers to getting open down field. 

How is he a luxury pick and McCaffery isnt?  They both seem like 2 very clean cant miss type prospects.

1 minute ago, Vader said:

What is luxury pick? What does that even mean? These players are potentially dynamic and can have cascade effect across the offense. That's not luxury. That's necessity. 

People who whined about not drafting offense should be cheering if the Jets drafted Howard

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont understand this take at all.  Howard is a 3 down TE who can do it all from, blocking edge rushers to getting open down field. 

How is he a luxury pick and McCaffery isnt?  They both seem like 2 very clean cant miss type prospects.

exactly.  and this is also a way to improve the OL and running game, without drafting an offensive lineman.

4 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

They're both studs, I don't understand all the hate. Just watch some tape guys.

It gets like that when someone picks a player other than the player someone prefers .  When I look at a player this high, I believe that the player must satisfy both the football and advertising part of the football team. There are 2 players who have clean grades as football players in this draft . The TE from Bama has the highest grade and right behind him is mcCaffrey . 

Of those 2 players, who would you say have the potential to sell the most merchandise if they become the player many believe them to be  ?

36 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Because I still have concerns if he can be an in between the tackles runner. He reminds me a lot of Reggie Bush coming out of USC. 

24 minutes ago, Vader said:

What is luxury pick? What does that even mean? These players are potentially dynamic and can have cascade effect across the offense. That's not luxury. That's necessity. 

I guess someone got sick of always saying best player available so they coined a new draft phrase..

While I agree Howard isn't the great receiving TE that his athletic testing would reflect, he's still going to be a great player.

What sold me is that PFW ranked him as the #1 blocking TE on cfb. That alone makes him extremely valuable and somewhat of a can't miss.

If he ever lives up to his athleticism in the passing game, that is special. 

In short, high floor and high ceiling with this guy. Not too shabby. 

12 minutes ago, peebag said:

we're so short of talent on this team, I just want immediate capable starters.  Either defensive or offensive players.  We're a few years away from competing for anything so we have to stockpile.

Why does everyone keep repeating  ?  There's plenty of talent on the Jets roster .

1 minute ago, peebag said:

No, there's really not.

What you mean is there's no big names that fans can get excited about . There's plenty of talent on the Jets roster, because if there wasn't, we could never have won as many games as we have over the last 2 years .

Mary Kay Cabot‏  @MaryKayCabot

Myles Garrett will the #Browns pick at No. 1, multiple league sources say

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet

Description of the player the #Browns are taking at No. 1 from someone in the know: “One who is clearly, clearly better than anyone else.”

36 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

exactly.  and this is also a way to improve the OL and running game, without drafting an offensive lineman.

I'd personally take the beast TE over a RB.  I wouldnt be upset with either but I wouldnt be thrilled with taking a RB at #6 or  a TE for the matter.  Lesser of two evils I guess. 

There are a handful of guys I really like from the 2nd round and on who I think could be just as good as the 3 big names: Kamara, Foreman, Mack, Hunt, Gallman, Mixon (if you can stomach drafting him).  The same can be said for TE I guess but still, I'd rather that than a RB.

At this point I've really found myself in the Williams, Davis, Howard of my want at 6. 

Just now, JiF said:

I'd personally take the beast TE over a RB.  I wouldnt be upset with either but I wouldnt be thrilled with taking a RB at #6 or  a TE for the matter.  Lesser of two evils I guess. 

There are a handful of guys I really like from the 2nd round and on who I think could be just as good as the 3 big names: Kamara, Foreman, Mack, Hunt, Gallman, Mixon (if you can stomach drafting him).  The same can be said for TE I guess but still, I'd rather that than a RB.

At this point I've really found myself in the Williams, Davis, Howard of my want at 6. 

i can see them going rb with one of their 3rd round picks.

13 minutes ago, Mecca said:

Because I still have concerns if he can be an in between the tackles runner. He reminds me a lot of Reggie Bush coming out of USC. 

That's not a bad comparison TBH 

Archived