Draft Rumors

C Mart

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see a lot of OJ Howard, Eric Ebron comparisons so here are there combine numbers

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/o.j.-howard?id=2557856 - Howard

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/eric-ebron?id=2543466 - Ebron

They look very similar in terms of measurables. I don't watch college football so someone who does can weigh in on the differences they saw on the tapes. 

Just now, Lupz27 said:

Will it take 3 years for Howard to show anything useful like Davis, and Olsen?

That's a lazy argument. A lot is dependent on the specific player and scheme. But, I can tell you, we're not in dire need of him being ready year 1. We can let him grow this year. Not that I think that's the case. Davis never had Howard's hands and Olsen can't run like Howard. 

Just now, bgivs21 said:

I see a lot of OJ Howard, Eric Ebron comparisons so here are there combine numbers

They look very similar in terms of measurables. I don't watch college football so someone who does can weigh in on the differences they saw on the tapes. 

Willingness to block, and effectiveness at doing it is the projected difference.

7 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Stephen Hill- Calvin Johnson

56 minutes ago, slats said:

While I don't like the idea of either position, either, I'd take the 25+ touch a game RB over a TE who's having a monster game if he catches 6 passes. 

If those 6 catches convert to 2 TD drives (perhaps via key 3rd down conversions, etc.) and draw attention off the WRs and RB, then the disparity in touches isn't as meaningful.  I guess you could say would you rather have Antonio Gates or Curtis Martin.  Both guys help an offense tremendously in different ways. The thing for me if Fournette is a consistent 'move the chains' guy.  Usually good for a 3rd and 2 situation and usually able to get 3-4 yards on first down rushes, then I'd opt for that.  I'm so f-ing sick of 3-and-outs. 

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

So one team in the middle of the round has him #2 on their QB depth chart.  That's not really putting yourself out on a limb, Kristian.  Of course if it does happen, he'll look like Nostradamus I guess.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I guess but Marcus Mariota isnt winning them games.  He's the ultimate game manager right now as their passing attack sucks.  In fact, I think he's probably lost them more games than he's won them.  That team is all about that OL and the running game that Robinson built.  He's stocked piled picks too...they're in good shape right now.    

I'd disagree.  Look at his individual games last season and look at his red zone numbers for his career.  He'll be a top 10 QB next season and had he not broke his leg last December, he would have taken his team from #1 pick to playoffs in 1 season.

My point is this, the Jets, like the Texans, can build a great roster everywhere but QB.  And any success they have is very short lived.  Doesn't matter how well you scout, draft, or build a team, in today's NFL, it doesn't mean anything if you can't find a QB.

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Anita Marks saying that Giants and Steelers are trying to trade up to get Mahomes.

She says the Jets love Fournette and Hooker and won't trade down past 12. 

Just the thought of Fournette in our backfield excites the hell out of me . 

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Anita Marks saying that Giants and Steelers are trying to trade up to get Mahomes.

She says the Jets love Fournette and Hooker and won't trade down past 12. 

So we have people saying the Jets love Fournette, Howard, and Hooker. Really hoping we draft one of the first two though. I like Hooker, but the injuries scare me.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

He wasn't injury prone like Lattimore though. He had surgery and it was done with

Yes, but we have ZERO tape of him post-surgery though.

Lattimore is the pick that instantly puts me in the Fire Macc boat.

1 minute ago, Seth said:

Yes, but we have ZERO tape of him post-surgery though.

Lattimore is the pick that instantly puts me in the Fire Macc boat.

Him and Allen would be my anger picks. And he knows that he needs to nail this so  I don't think he's going to take Lattimore.

In order, my preferences would be:

Trade Down

Howard

Fournette

Hooker

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Him and Allen would be my anger picks. And he knows that he needs to nail this so  I don't think he's going to take Lattimore

CB is perfect pick in the second round. I'm betting OJ Howard if we stay at 6 although Fournette would be a gutsy pick. Just hard to justify even a great RB in a RB-deep draft on a team that has 20 holes.

23 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So one team in the middle of the round has him #2 on their QB depth chart.  That's not really putting yourself out on a limb, Kristian.  Of course if it does happen, he'll look like Nostradamus I guess.

Haha exactly. Also got "depending on how things fall" in there too.

The draft must be the easiest thing to make yourself look knowledgeable. Make a few educated guesses to get some predictions right, explain the incorrect ones away by saying that a trade up/down didn't happen, they weren't expecting X to still be there when they drafted etc.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Willingness to block, and effectiveness at doing it is the projected difference.

Not even half of it. Ebron had one of the worst hands in college football Howard had some of the best. And not just willingness to block but ability to block. A Howard Ebron comparison would be from nobody except a layman, bored, lazy NFL fan who never watched either play in college. 

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

Not even half of it. Ebron had one of the worst hands in college football Howard had some of the best. And not just willingness to block but ability to block. A Howard Ebron comparison would be from nobody except a layman, bored, lazy NFL fan who never watched either play in college. 

Lazy NFL fan

Is that what you call contradiction in terms...or would it be more considered ironic?

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

Watson to the Jags at 4 has some heat to it hear on the local radio in Jax.

Read that elsewhere also.  Wondering what happens to Bortles.

If Watson/Trubisky gone by 6, I don't see a problem with Howard at 6.  Better option than Hooker & Fournette for the Jets.

Archived