Drafting Safeties isn't a bad idea....

Jet_Engine1

5 hours ago, IntoTheGreen said:

How the draft fell? Are you kidding me?!?! Willis and Bowser waere there. Take a passrusher. Cook kamara everett shaheen etc were playmakers on O sitting there. Add something that can build a team, not a unit. And who cares a great secondary will still get torched without a passrush.

Cook fine.  Everett fine.  Shaheen? Absolutey not and Willis is better off in a 4-3 as an EDGE DE.  His hips are stiff as a board.  Bad fit as a 3-4 OLB.

When you take Adams you are taking a leader and a culture changer so that must be factored in as well. One of the best players in the draft on the field. He played 41% FS, 32% CB , 13% SS and 14% LB , he can do it all.

Maye individually is a great player but I agree taking another is probably overkill. There were some great corners on the board or Cook. On the positive side Maye had the 2nd lowest catch rate at S in college and only missed 1 tackle in 438 snaps (per PFF). He is injury prone though . 

Trying to stay positive at least it looks like the 2nd round curse is over . He will be a good player , something this team lacks .

A great many of the posters here are bashing the Jets second round pick. Personally I prefer to be more positive. The Jets have one safety that 75% want gone and a second that at best will be on the pup list (more likely looking at an injury settlement). By most accounts they have potentially one stud and a second at worse very talented. You may not care for the position they play but they are locks for years to come baring injury. There are 22 starters on a team (looking offense and defense only) and with the condition of their roster at the end of last year, they now have in my mind have at least 7 young defensive starters who would be just that for 75% of the league. For me this roster has improved. This draft was defense heavy in talent and Mac drafted to the talent.

10 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

A great many of the posters here are bashing the Jets second round pick. Personally I prefer to be more positive. The Jets have one safety that 75% want gone and a second that at best will be on the pup list (more likely looking at an injury settlement). By most accounts they have potentially one stud and a second at worse very talented. You may not care for the position they play but they are locks for years to come baring injury. There are 22 starters on a team (looking offense and defense only) and with the condition of their roster at the end of last year, they now have in my mind have at least 7 young defensive starters who would be just that for 75% of the league. For me this roster has improved. This draft was defense heavy in talent and Mac drafted to the talent.

when you look at it logically, they figured they had one healthy safety on the roster and he sucks.  so i get it.  the guys they picked are good.  it's not like they reached.  they got 2 starters.  they didn't reach for a qb which i guess says something about what they think of hack.  and they have more picks to theoretically address offensive needs today.  the main takeaway is that the safeties sucked bigtime.  

The player may be fine.  In fact, the jets may end up with 2 superb safeties.  But the strategy is peculiar.   You stack one positional group (like DL and safety) at the cost of all other ones.  Then when it is time to resign them, you end up with the issues we now have of overpaying guys in DL and being unable to trade others.  Will we spend big money to resign 2 safeties in 4 years? Or should that money be distributed throughout the team?

Simple allocation of resources, regardless of how good the players are.

11 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Maye was a consensus 4-5th round pick.

**** the Jets

Really?

I just did a quick look and he was a consensus second round pick. Some thought he might slip to the third where he would be a solid value pick. Who had him going in the 4th round?

3 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

This is Mac's "Idzik 12" draft. His Waterloo. 

idzik picked guys who sucked. mccags is picking guys to replace them.  the reason we need 2 safeties is mainly b/c pryor sucks so bad.  maye is a good player.  i've seen multiple 'grades' of B+ or better, he is a very good player.  i can't complain they took bad players.  even the wr isn't bad, he will play.  the new WCO is perfect for him.  they didn't reach for a crappy qb, they didn't overdraft anyone, they acquired 2 extra picks and drafted 2 day 1 starters and a wr with big play ability.  decker is probably out, marshall is gone and devin smith is a big ?.  today they can hopefully draft a rb and te and the overall draft could have a different feel.  but the team is better, gilchrist is coming off a big injury and won't play for them again, and pryor is a huge liability.  

27 minutes ago, bergenjets said:

Really?

I just did a quick look and he was a consensus second round pick. Some thought he might slip to the third where he would be a solid value pick. Who had him going in the 4th round?

That's where a lot of guys had him after he broke his arm. He may be a good player, I just don't like doubling up on Safety at the top of the draft.

Archived