PFF: Jets OLB Jordan Jenkins graded well as a rookie

LAD_Brooklyn

Lost on anybody that he was far closer to the 3rd-ranked rookie (Floyd) than the #1 ranked rookie? This is framed as though there was Bosa, Jenkins, and then everybody else way down below. By PFF's own grades/numbers, there was just Bosa and then there was everybody else. His 73.4 ranked 54th out of the edge defenders. Also all of his (2.5) sacks came against backup QBs (Moore, Kaepernick, Manuel). 

He was just ok as a rookie, though he got better with more playing time as the year went on, and should only get better still. Doubt we see him terrorizing QBs with his speed, though. As far as his perceived strength being setting the edge on rushing downs, in a way that one-dimensional edge rushers can't, PFF gave him a grade of 39.4 against the run, which is pretty terrible (ranked 100th out of 107 edge defenders). His best grade came when he dropped into coverage (73.2) where he was 11th overall. 

He's just a kid yet, and hopefully he'll be a solid starter for us for years, but he has work to do.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lost on anybody that he was far closer to the 3rd-ranked rookie (Floyd) than the #1 ranked rookie? This is framed as though there was Bosa, Jenkins, and then everybody else way down below. By PFF's own grades/numbers, there was just Bosa and then there was everybody else. His 73.4 ranked 54th out of the edge defenders. Also all of his (2.5) sacks came against backup QBs (Moore, Kaepernick, Manuel). 

He was just ok as a rookie, though he got better with more playing time as the year went on, and should only get better still. Doubt we see him terrorizing QBs with his speed, though. As far as his perceived strength being setting the edge on rushing downs, in a way that one-dimensional edge rushers can't, PFF gave him a grade of 39.4 against the run, which is pretty terrible (ranked 100th out of 107 edge defenders). His best grade came when he dropped into coverage (73.2) where he was 11th overall. 

He's just a kid yet, and hopefully he'll be a solid starter for us for years, but he has work to do.

Floyd (his old teammate) was a 1st rounder. So yes closer to the next guy which was also a 1st rounder.

4 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Floyd (his old teammate) was a 1st rounder. So yes closer to the next guy which was also a 1st rounder.

Neither of them were good as rookies. Both graded terribly against the run.

Floyd got a lower grade than Jenkins in rushing the passer, yet he got 7 sacks in his 12 games. Maybe Jenkins had more hurries or Floyd had some serious bonehead plays for which they really penalized him. 

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Neither of them were good as rookies. Both graded terribly against the run.

Floyd got a lower grade than Jenkins in rushing the passer, yet he got 7 sacks in his 12 games. Maybe Jenkins had more hurries or Floyd had some serious bonehead plays for which they really penalized him. 

Yep I thought Jenkins looked like a rookie a lot.  He bit on play action and would lose the ball a lot but he got better after his late start. I really like how he tackles though like s freight train and he plays lots faster than he times that is for sure.  Even though he bit on play action he was all over that player in seconds problem was that player didn't have the ball....oh well he will learn and I think has tons potential.

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Yep I thought Jenkins looked like a rookie a lot.  He bit on play action and would lose the ball a lot but he got better after his late start. I really like how he tackles though like s freight train and he plays lots faster than he times that is for sure.  Even though he bit on play action he was all over that player in seconds problem was that player didn't have the ball....oh well he will learn and I think has tons potential.

Hope so. We'll see. He has a new teacher this year so it'll be interesting how that plays out.

18 hours ago, Kevin L said:

PFF once gave Aaron Rodgers a negative grade after a 300 yard 5 TD game. I have no idea what criteria they use to get their grades.

Yeah, and I've noticed guys get really good grades who I didn't feel really made an impact. I've come to think they give too many points to simply playing the assignment and not enough to actually making impact plays.

But anyways, if Jenkins can become a Calvin Pace type strongside OLB, that would be fantastic. I think people see he's never going to be a terror off the edge. So with that said, we still need to find that double-digit sack guy on the other side.

Looks like Mauldin will get one more year to show if he can be that guy, but that'll more than likely be a position we need to upgrade next off-season.

I'm not sure why people feel like he was something against the run. Even without the pff stats he was not great at the run and would get washed down pretty easily. I think he'll improve but he was decent going after the qb. Dude has strength and clocks in at about a 4.7 putting him beyond the threshold for a good pass rusher which is usually 4.8. I'm not saying he'll be a terror but he got pressure as the game slowed for him later on in the season, including a good showing against the pats. Also the guy hits like a truck and is better in space than anticipated.

19 hours ago, Tinstar said:

you folks realize these kids were rookies playing at the highest level right ?

I really don't get this fan base. I know we've had our share of outright busts, but when we see some development finally we still have the same group of fans disparaging improvement or first year successes?

13 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Oh and you forgot to add Leo to that list

And all of them are 22 yrs old or less.

For sure. They all can be major cornerstones for years to come especially Leo and Adams. They have superstar 12 plus year careers written all over them.

23 hours ago, JiF said:

I think this is a solid comparison.  Jenkins will never be a dominating pass rusher.  He's the dirty work, set the edge guy you described.  It would be nice to find that guy who can consistently get to the QB.

Next year....Arden Key.

Archived