Gilchrist Waived

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Revis ruined Revis and while he was at it he ruined the whole defense.  Guy came into camp overweight and out of shape.  Guys looked up to him and he set a poor example while other vets (Wilkerson and Richardson) followed Revis' lead. 

The entire secondary was a joke coached by 2 clowns Bowles and Rodgers. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

ITS THE GM'S JOB TO PLAN FOR THE FUTURE

waht do you blame him for genious?

Harris (no one could know he runs like a grandma and is useless in modern NFL)

Clady (no injury history, also 4th rounders are basically trash)

Marshall (good character guy everwhere else hes been)

Hackenberg (Sandusky/James franklin)

McNown (less of an impediment to Petty or Hack starting then Cutler would of been)

I would blame him for Skrine though, I originally gave that signing an A++ but I have downgraded t to a A-, not one of Macc's better moves

13 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

waht do you blame him for genious?

Harris (no one could know he runs like a grandma and is useless in modern NFL)

Clady (no injury history, also 4th rounders are basically trash)

Marshall (good character guy everwhere else hes been)

Hackenberg (Sandusky/James franklin)

McNown (less of an impediment to Petty or Hack starting then Cutler would of been)

I would blame him for Skrine though, I originally gave that signing an A++ but I have downgraded t to a A-, not one of Macc's better moves

I'm betting you short-circuited about five actual long-form poster rebuttals with this one post, which may be a record. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Horrible player. The head coach is a DB coach who can't coach DBs. The GM gets the DBHC any player he wants and gets the same results on defense year in and year out. The Pats could have put up 100 points on us in both games last year. Think about the resources this team has burned on ******* safeties in just three years.

HOW MANY TIMES DID IZDICK ALMOST MAKE THE PLAYOFFS BIG MOUTH? 

7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Macc signed Skrine, Revis, Cromartie and Gilchrist. No one in the last two seasons has been worse than Buster Skrine. He is awful. 

...Did you happen to see Cromartie play that first year? Revis the second? Skrine has been decent our defense as a whole has not.

10 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Reminder: to revamp a terrible secondary two seasons ago Macc handed out 4 huge deals north of 40 million total. The only guy left from that two seasons later is Buster Skrine, one of the worst players in the secondary both seasons as a Jet. 

Thanks Mac. :spin:

10 hours ago, varjet said:

The Jets had a decent defense in 2015.  Those guys basically kept the Jets competitive then.

But with Revis falling apart and Cromartie needing to be cut for cap reasons, that group completely collapsed.

But yes, the money spent on the secondary was not a good investment by the Jets.  At this point in time the Jets appear to have learned their lesson and are doing things differently.  Now.

Yep now we draft safties and positions we are at a surplus. The safe way to draft. :huh:

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yes. I saw them both. Skrine was rated worse. Those are facts. 

Rated worse by who? obviously not anyone who watched the games and watched Cromartie and Revis Getting burned down the field constantly...I would love to see your statistics and see what context they are in..

16 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Oh good. Let me know when they raise that banner. I'll be sure to watch. 

Wasting two years of rebuilding time is inexcusable. And they really haven't learned their lesson. They still lack high end talent at important positions. This regime is not long for the Jets. Or at least shouldn't be. 

WRONG! the mandate in NY has always been to stay COMPETETIVE in the division to keep people in the seats. They tried to win short term, it didn't work but Macc wrote the contracts so we didn't carry to much cap hit going forward.

We just had what I think was a decent draft & now we're gonna have probably 80 million to fill holes. 

So close. So close. 

Not what I said. At all. This team needed to be blown up two seasons ago. They've wasted time, money, and resources to have missed the playoffs both years. I'm willing to allow time for roster adjustments and drafts and all that comes with building a playoff caliber team. I'm just not seeing those as the results of what's been happening as far as transactions in three offseasons. 

It would have been very hard to blow the team up in 2015.    There were too many of the Tanny contracts left, particularly on the OL.

It could have been done, and Woody would have saved money in the end, but the team would have been awful, awful, awful.  The Jets were also required to spend money.  In the end Woody got full stadiums in 2015, they beat the Pats at home (which they shamelessly milked in their advertising and Macc won Executive of the Year, which like gets him 1-2 more years in his job than he otherwise would get.  I think Woody and Macc do the same thing over again, exactly, if they had the chance.

For 2016, my theory is that Macc and Bowles likely knew they needed a different path, but Woody intervened and wanted to be competitive again..  They also had issues managing the veterans they hired, plus Gailey and Patullo.  The result was a mess and perhaps the worst 5-11 team in NFL HIstory.   If they play that season again they could end up 3-13 or worse.

14 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

He came in and had to build a team for the short term, now he's beginning to execute his long term plan. 

That is what they appear to be doing.  Macc is a Scout and Draft Board Purist.  I think the 2015 draft also suffered from Bradway's Scouts.   I think they add 7 players to the roster this year who are better than 7 players from last year.  

Macc needs help in the Executive role.  Figuring out trades, strategy, etc.  I think Woody tries to play that role, and he is not good at it. 

When Woody says that they are trying to do now what they have not done in 17 years, that is pretty telling.  They are trying to be different.   It will be a very long-term build.   Tanny is also working his magic with the Dolphins, and the Patriots are the Patriots, so the Jets will have to counter that.  I think Woody is right that we will hopefully see the team improve gradually over time, but it is going to take a while.

17 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Reminder: to revamp a terrible secondary two seasons ago Macc handed out 4 huge deals north of 40 million total. The only guy left from that two seasons later is Buster Skrine, one of the worst players in the secondary both seasons as a Jet. 

Again, that sounded like Johnson wanted some big splashes with all the money he had.  Just because Mac is the GM didn't mean he had a boss to listen to.

I HOPE Johnson has finally learned that drafting is the way to build a contender, and he lets this play out, because there is going to be a LOT of money available next year. 

So because the Jets had to spend money when Macc took over, it's okay those players sucked because, hey salary floor? That's some logic. Or. You know. Pony up the money for young talent two years ago. 

They didn't suck Carl.  Revis played well his first year.  So did Skrine.  Cromartie played okay, and so did Gilchrist.  This is the NFL dude!  The contracts are completely over-inflated no matter who you sign.

NOBODY, and I don't care who you are, saw Revis completely forgetting how to play his position within a year.  Because he was so bad, we had to use Buster Skrine as our number one, which obviously can't be done. 

16 minutes ago, varjet said:

It would have been very hard to blow the team up in 2015.    There were too many of the Tanny contracts left, particularly on the OL.

It could have been done, and Woody would have saved money in the end, but the team would have been awful, awful, awful.  The Jets were also required to spend money.  In the end Woody got full stadiums in 2015, they beat the Pats at home (which they shamelessly milked in their advertising and Macc won Executive of the Year, which like gets him 1-2 more years in his job than he otherwise would get.  I think Woody and Macc do the same thing over again, exactly, if they had the chance.

For 2016, my theory is that Macc and Bowles likely knew they needed a different path, but Woody intervened and wanted to be competitive again..  They also had issues managing the veterans they hired, plus Gailey and Patullo.  The result was a mess and perhaps the worst 5-11 team in NFL HIstory.   If they play that season again they could end up 3-13 or worse.

That is what they appear to be doing.  Macc is a Scout and Draft Board Purist.  I think the 2015 draft also suffered from Bradway's Scouts.   I think they add 7 players to the roster this year who are better than 7 players from last year.  

Macc needs help in the Executive role.  Figuring out trades, strategy, etc.  I think Woody tries to play that role, and he is not good at it. 

When Woody says that they are trying to do now what they have not done in 17 years, that is pretty telling.  They are trying to be different.   It will be a very long-term build.   Tanny is also working his magic with the Dolphins, and the Patriots are the Patriots, so the Jets will have to counter that.  I think Woody is right that we will hopefully see the team improve gradually over time, but it is going to take a while.

NICE....

I think many fans keep forgetting that Mac is not the OWNER.  Woody could have hired Ozzie Newsome, but if he is going to keep sticking his nose into the business, he is going to keep getting the same results.  This purge in the off-season and what has been graded by many experts as a solid draft goes a long way in showing that MAYBE Woody has learned something, kept his nose out of things, and let Mac do his job.  We will have to see how well they do, and you are judged by the talent you bring in through the draft.

BUT....I like what happened so far this year. I don't know if many of the people on this site are hockey fans, but the best example is the current Toronto Maple Leafs.  They have sucked for YEARS....YEARS.  When Brendan Shanahan came in to run the ship, he broke from the tradition of trying to buy a Stanley Cup every year.  The Leafs could afford it, but when the salary cap came in, they couldn't keep up with the everyone else who all knew you had to draft well.  Shananhan got rid of expensive old talent, brought in a kick-azz staff, and have drafted so well that they now have the number 1 farm system in all the NHL, not to mention the three of the best rookies in the league who all made the roster this year.  THAT is what you hope the Jets can do.

It will, of course, all come down to Hackenberg, and whoever they draft next year.  If they don't get the QB, Mac will be replaced in about 2 years. 

Just now, gEYno said:

sammy-watkins-fantasy-football-training-

Yeah, sorry that he couldn't be the exact player that he was when he was 24.  This thing called age catches up with everyone.  He was still good, and if you use Google to research the actual stats and not find cool pictures, you can see he was still top 15 in the league that year.

33 minutes ago, Jetster said:

WRONG! the mandate in NY has always been to stay COMPETETIVE in the division to keep people in the seats. They tried to win short term, it didn't work but Macc wrote the contracts so we didn't carry to much cap hit going forward.

We just had what I think was a decent draft & now we're gonna have probably 80 million to fill holes. 

AGREED!  Why can't more people actually understand that WOODY is the owner, and if he says sign players and stay competitive, then the staff has to do that.

Just now, CanadaSteve said:

Yeah, sorry that he couldn't be the exact player that he was when he was 24.  This thing called age catches up with everyone.  He was still good, and if you use Google to research the actual stats and not find cool pictures, you can see he was still top 15 in the league that year.

Then, perhaps we should not have paid him like he was 24, and perhaps brought on an actual 24-year-old who was on the right side of their career?

Also, he was 16th in the league in yards against, which may be misleading because he only played 14 games...

He was good enough to shut down lesser competition. He often went unchallenged, because, well, Cromartie, the best example of which was in the Raiders game when there was no reason to throw at Revis cause Cro couldn't stop anything.  Most importantly, when faced with tougher competition, he got beaten badly.

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

so...he has been the worst CB we have had the passed two years based off of two articles that were written before they took a snap in those two years?

That tweet is a rankings of 2015. I can look up 2016 but it's not going to prove your point either. Buster Skrine is awful. 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

That tweet is a rankings of 2015. I can look up 2016 but it's not going to prove your point either. Buster Skrine is awful. 

He was not the worst CB on our team even by your article

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

Then, perhaps we should not have paid him like he was 24, and perhaps brought on an actual 24-year-old who was on the right side of their career?

Also, he was 16th in the league in yards against, which may be misleading because he only played 14 games...

He was good enough to shut down lesser competition. He often went unchallenged, because, well, Cromartie, the best example of which was in the Raiders game when there was no reason to throw at Revis cause Cro couldn't stop anything.  Most importantly, when faced with tougher competition, he got beaten badly.

So put some of the blame where it probably lied...on Woody.  As it was stated, we HAD to spend money.  There was no indication that Revis was on the decline, and you can't blame a team for signing a player AFTER you see the results.  You are paying them in advance to perform in the future.  Revis played pretty good, and was a disaster last year.  The Jets did the right thing in letting him go.   

Were you excited when he came back, because it seemed this whole board was.  We challenged that first year, but it was a mirage.  The organization should have seen it....and maybe some of them did.  But the problem was, Woody probably believed we were truly one win away from the playoffs, and we had a coach spouting off to the media that our starting QB for 2017 wasn't even on the roster!  I'm sure that left some in the organization shaking their heads. 

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

He was not the worst CB on our team even by your article

Buster Skrine was awful in Cleveland and he's been just as bad in New York. He was rated worse than Revis in both 2015 and 2016. He was slightly better than an injured and aging Cromartie in 2015. Totally needs to make 8 million this year. 

23 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Buster Skrine was awful in Cleveland and he's been just as bad in New York. He was rated worse than Revis in both 2015 and 2016. He was slightly better than an injured and aging Cromartie in 2015. Totally needs to make 8 million this year. 

Not saying the kid is a star in the league and yea we probably overpaid him but I really don't think he is as bad as you believe he is.

30 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

So put some of the blame where it probably lied...on Woody.  As it was stated, we HAD to spend money.  There was no indication that Revis was on the decline, and you can't blame a team for signing a player AFTER you see the results.  You are paying them in advance to perform in the future.  Revis played pretty good, and was a disaster last year.  The Jets did the right thing in letting him go.   

Were you excited when he came back, because it seemed this whole board was.  We challenged that first year, but it was a mirage.  The organization should have seen it....and maybe some of them did.  But the problem was, Woody probably believed we were truly one win away from the playoffs, and we had a coach spouting off to the media that our starting QB for 2017 wasn't even on the roster!  I'm sure that left some in the organization shaking their heads. 

You stated that Revis's age as a reason for his dip in performance, literally a few posts ago.  Was there no indication that he was going to get older each year?  While most of us were surprised by how bad he was (though in hindsight, considering his attitude, it shouldn't have been that surprising that he stopped trying), I think the majority of us didn't expect him to live up to his price tag.  And he didn't, in 2015 or 2016.  We agree that they did the right thing by letting him go now.

Sure I was excited to have him back, but emotion and logic don't overlap entirely.  Sometimes the Jets do dumb stuff that I enjoy as a fan.  The opposite is true if they're on the right track now.  I want the Jets to go 0-16 and get the #1 overall pick and hopefully a franchise QB, but I'm not going to enjoy it happening.  As for the rest, if this is what you think, then there's no arguing with it... But you'll have to excuse those of us who don't fall in line with the "everything bad that Macc did is Woody's fault, and everything good that Macc did is Macc's responsibility" thought process.

18 hours ago, MTJ06 said:

except for the fact that if you read the articles you would have know that the actual cap figures were higher and our spend rate was 84.56% the prior 2 years. 

Jets had to spend 40 mil in cash spend in 2015 to reach 89%, which was NOT required in 2015. We spent 60 mil additional in cash in 2015, which was $20mil on top of the required 89%. 

To make matters worse, we spent 172mil in cash spend in 2016. Our cash spending from 2013 to 2016 was 98% of the total salary cap. Again, the phony excuse Mac nuthuggers use for his lavish FA spending is just that, a phony excuse. Its all BS. Total.

If Macc had spent 20 mil fewer in cash and cap spending in each of 2015 and 2016, we still would've been fine. So no, Macc didn't HAVE to spend what he spent. He CHOSE to spend. He's 100% liable for the salary cap mess we are in. He's also 100% liable for having THE worst roster in the NFL 3 years into his tenure.  

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Not saying the kid is a star in the league and yea we probably overpaid him but I really don't think he is as bad as you believe he is.

Then you and I are watching completely different games. If he isn't getting beat, he's committing a penalty. One of the worst signings the Jets have made in this regime. 

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Then you and I are watching completely different games. If he isn't getting beat, he's committing a penalty. One of the worst signings the Jets have made in this regime. 

not resigning Harris, or Revis?

Archived