Nick Mangold weighs in on possibility of joining Patriots

joewilly12

Former Jets center Nick Mangold weighs in on possibility of joining Patriots, Geno Smith joining Giants

•  
  •  
Nick Mangold is still a free agent, but he said it would be ‘awful difficult’ to ever join Bill Belichick and the Patriots.

Nick Mangold is still a free agent, but he said it would be ‘awful difficult’ to ever join Bill Belichick and the Patriots.

(JULIO CORTEZ/AP)

Nick Mangold spent many years wearing green and white, trying to catch the Patriots atop the AFC East. Now a free agent, would the veteran center ever join his longtime rival?

At this point, it's purely a hypothetical posed to him by A.J. Hawk and Bob Papa on SiriusXM NFL Radio, given that the Patriots already have a center in David Andrews. But if injuries struck New England and they needed an interior lineman, would Mangold be willing to play for Bill Belichick?

"That would be awful difficult," Mangold said with a laugh. "I can assume, after years of all the battles that I've had with New England, I don't think Bill's all that fond of me."

But when told that's perhaps why Belichick could want a guy like him, Mangold said, "You never know I guess."

Mangold spent 11 seasons with the Jets, starting 164 games in that span. Last season, however, he only made it on the field for eight and finished the season on IR with an ankle injury. So far he hasn't signed with a team, and he danced around whether the Saints - whose center Max Unger reportedly had surgery for a foot injury recently - are a possibility for him.

The former Jets center also addressed how he thought moving from the Jets to the Giants would be for his old teammate, Geno Smith.

"I think it'll be good for him, especially learning under Eli (Manning), who obviously has been doing it at a high level for a long time," Mangold said. "I think still being in the New York market might hurt him a little bit, but if he keeps his head down, keeps working, keeps learning. I hope that he can get another shot and show what he can do on the field."

Mangold's concern may be a legitimate one. Smith had a rough few years in New York, most notably losing his starting job when he was punched and injured by then-teammate IK Enemkpali before the 2015 season.

Would love to see Mangold re-signed, even after the start of the season if they are worried about the injury

Easily one of the top 3-5 first round picks for the Jets in the last 20 years (24 picks)

Revis, Mangold, Ellis, Brick, Abe (traded for Mangold), Penny, Wilkerson?

Farrior played well for the steelers so can't give much credit for that pick

Guess we can count Key since Adams has not played a down but he was worth more in the trade then as a player "just give me the damn ball" 

at least 4 of these 24 Jets first round picks won a SuperBowl with another team

I hope he does and I hope he wins the Super Bowl.  Serves the Jets right.  Get rid of a guy like Mangold who should be retiring never wearing another jersey while holding on to a turd like Decker?  Signing a worthless poobag like McCown?  Keeping David Harris and that contract?

You go win a Super Bowl, Nick.  You deserve it. 

22 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Us cutting Nick Mangold to save money, then paying Josh McCown $6 million, then Mangold going to the Patriots...yep, this is Jets fandom. Never ends.

Pretty much. Numb to this sh*t already.

Archived