Todd Bowles is a far better coach today than he was yesterday..

Beerfish

If the team competes and plays hard despite losing and he should stay. If the team gets blown out in 13 of the 16 games then he should be gone. The team isn't very good so I don't expect positive results. 

1 hour ago, August said:

If the team competes and plays hard despite losing and he should stay. If the team gets blown out in 13 of the 16 games then he should be gone. The team isn't very good so I don't expect positive results. 

Bowles shoulda been fired for last season.  

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

He gets $ 5 million guaranteed either way so no compelling reason to dump him. Cimini was on Sirius and mentioned that.

The "compelling reason to cut him" is that he sucks, and every snap he plays takes snaps away from a player who may have a future in the NFL with the Jets. The same "compelling reason" why McCown should not have been signed.

We can afford any cap hit to improve the team via subtraction. Forte was the 2nd worst old man on the team last year, bested only by Revis. And he has no future. He should be cut.

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We've already seen the the press begin to martyr him. It will only get more prevalent.  His job security has gone up by several notches now that the jets have purged the team of vets.  This will only ramp up with local press, the national media and some on here.  "How do you expect him to win when you give him not talent?"    "How are you supposed to have discipline and good character when you remove all the solid vets?"

This will be like the famous 'Rex's best coaching job year' and like Rex he will get another two years to screw up after this one.

Yes indeed Todd Bowles is suddenly a lot better coach who has to put up with no talent, get ready for everyone and their dog to throw rose petals at his feet.

To Rex credit, when he had a great team we were knocking on the door of the Superbowl, when the team was purged he stunk. 

Rex went to the AFCCG with a QB that threw 20 INT's to 12TD's and had a QB rating of 63 in his rookie season. 

I kill Rex when I can, but I will never pretend like those first 2 years he didnt deal with adversity from the QB position. 

As for Bowles, when we had vet talent on this team we won 10 games. The problem was once again the QB position, as a yearly total sure, Fitz had a solid season. But that last game of the year against the Bills told us exactly who he was. 

Ironic that it was Rex that did it to us during that last game. 

Todd Bowles may not be able to recover from this. The idea of tanking before the season starts is one thing, Being 2 weeks in December and you have 2 or 3 wins on the year makes that situation much realer. 

I will forever believe this. This is why you dont give a team to Ryan Fitzpatrick. We would have been able to get through this 2 seasons ago. Instead....

35 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

To Rex credit, when he had a great team we were knocking on the door of the Superbowl, when the team was purged he stunk. 

Rex went to the AFCCG with a QB that threw 20 INT's to 12TD's and had a QB rating of 63 in his rookie season. 

I kill Rex when I can, but I will never pretend like those first 2 years he didnt deal with adversity from the QB position. 

As for Bowles, when we had vet talent on this team we won 10 games. The problem was once again the QB position, as a yearly total sure, Fitz had a solid season. But that last game of the year against the Bills told us exactly who he was. 

Ironic that it was Rex that did it to us during that last game. 

Todd Bowles may not be able to recover from this. The idea of tanking before the season starts is one thing, Being 2 weeks in December and you have 2 or 3 wins on the year makes that situation much realer. 

I will forever believe this. This is why you dont give a team to Ryan Fitzpatrick. We would have been able to get through this 2 seasons ago. Instead....

When Fitzpatrick had that bad stretch in mid November right before he got hot the switch should've been made then...

2 hours ago, August said:

Agree, I was going to post a similar opinion.  I would add the team has to "improve" as time goes on.  If its status quo then he is toast IMHO

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We've already seen the the press begin to martyr him. It will only get more prevalent.  His job security has gone up by several notches now that the jets have purged the team of vets.  This will only ramp up with local press, the national media and some on here.  "How do you expect him to win when you give him not talent?"    "How are you supposed to have discipline and good character when you remove all the solid vets?"

This will be like the famous 'Rex's best coaching job year' and like Rex he will get another two years to screw up after this one.

Yes indeed Todd Bowles is suddenly a lot better coach who has to put up with no talent, get ready for everyone and their dog to throw rose petals at his feet.

well, i guess we'll see.  they could surprise.  imo the players aren't that bad.  the vets they cut were either just getting too old or wouldn't have fit into the new scheme.  i think the real problem is the jets haven't laid out any plan and the fans are getting restless. and last season was such a downer.

Yes Bowles IMO did a poor job of managing the team but anyone who thinks based on the play of the QBs last year that we should have had a better record is nuts.   

You could have had Lombardi on the sideline and it wouldn't have made a bit of difference with what we saw out there from Fitz and Co.  

5 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Yes it is mind boggling. Is there anyone on the roster more washed up than this guy?

And the GM cant see that?

I think Forte's contract is guaranteed for this year and there is dead cap associated with it as well; he may still get cut or traded for a case of beer, but other than the roster spot, there is no advantage to cutting him....

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I think Morton is a good coach, i liked the hire but he is also the oc and his side of the ball truly has ZERO talent.  so he will get it in the neck while Bowles underachiever sh*t defense skates

Maybe, or maybe Morton gets promoted at some point if he shows any glimmer of Head Coach potential.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yup, exactly.  (Oh and Hack will get that one as well, probably from the same people that wanted Marshall and Decker gone)

Even with Marshall and Decker gone the wr's & te's now are waaaaay better than what Geno had .

9 hours ago, peebag said:

Bowles looked like a beaten man at that presser yesterday.  I don't think he survives this coming year.  There has to be a scapegoat and HC is the easiest position to point fingers at.

Typical Jets overcorrection. They moved on from the uber cheerleader Ryan to the sad sack Bowles.

2 hours ago, tuffhand said:

The team quit on him and he lost control of the locker room, I thought he was a dead man.

Hey we're 10-5, on the verge of a playoff run, and Chris Ivory is one of the NFL's leading rushers -- WHY DON"T I MAKE STEVAN RIDLEY OUR FEATURED BACK?

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Idzik was in a rebuild mode as well his last year, saving all that cap to carry forward. Didn't help him or Rex. If and when Jets go 2-14, do you really think Woody will extend Bowles? He's got two years left. Woody would have to make that decision next off season. So no, Bowles is just a lame duck that will get tossed aside soon after the next season ends. 

7 hours ago, j4jets said:

Idzik was in a rebuild mode as well his last year, saving all that cap to carry forward. Didn't help him or Rex. If and when Jets go 2-14, do you really think Woody will extend Bowles? He's got two years left. Woody would have to make that decision next off season. So no, Bowles is just a lame duck that will get tossed aside soon after the next season ends. 

Woody is not the woody of old, he has decided he wants to rebuild and he will listen to the ;league pundits who say 'Its not bowels fault.;.  Mark my words.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Woody is not the woody of old, he has decided he wants to rebuild and he will listen to the ;league pundits who say 'Its not bowels fault.;.  Mark my words.

I can see it happening. However, what exactly has Bowles shown to get an extension? I understand the lack of talent (which falls on the GM), but when you don't have any control of the locker room, and your team doesn't perform, what justifies a contract extension? If Jets have zero issues in the locker room this year, that might be the only way Bowles gets an extension. We all know we aren't more than 3 games this year. 

Give Todd Bowles a legit QB he's John Fox 

the coaches don't really don't make a huge difference in the outcomes of these games

that's why Revis gets 16 million and Bowles get 1. coaches go as far as their roster takes them, especially the QB 

Archived