What Would it Take for Hack to be the Starter in 2018?

Skeptable

50 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think I'd rather have a guy that was total trash than a guy like Tannehill who gives you false hope but never wins anything. Tannehill is a Pennington/Sanchez type who eeks out the second contract but will never be good. Wouldn't you rather crash and burn with Hackenberg and take a clean stab on a 1st round QB in 2018 than stick with Tannehill for the next four years?

Sure - I agree with this - but that's not really the point.  Because you're not arguing Hackenberg vs. Tannehill, you're arguing Darnold et. al vs. Tannehill.

49 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

I was a much bigger fan of Chad Pennington than Ryan Tannehill.

Wrong.

10 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Can't argue with that.

And you better not try!!!!!!!

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, thadude said:

You're seriously comparing Brady and Hack?

Where do you even get that... I am talking about how to groom a QB... and the process... I never said anything about Hack being Brady... You turn these conversations so much its hard to talk to you.

37 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Sure - I agree with this - but that's not really the point.  Because you're not arguing Hackenberg vs. Tannehill, you're arguing Darnold et. al vs. Tannehill.

Wrong.

And you better not try!!!!!!!

Well given the fact that you have 247k likes would scare anyone off. 

35 minutes ago, JiF said:

I can 100% see a scenario where Hack is slightly competent and Mac passing on a QB next year.  Hack didnt even see the field last year and Mac passed on taking a QB this year.  

This has always been the most likely scenario.

2 hours ago, nicg4360 said:

In no way was he comparing Hack to Brady. Not sure where you see that. Very clearly he suggests giving Hack an offence that Brady uses "Dink and Dunk".

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

It's not that simple

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I can 100% see a scenario where Hack is slightly competent and Mac passing on a QB next year.  Hack didnt even see the field last year and Mac passed on taking a QB this year.  

So you would seriously consider passing on Darnold or Allen? Even if Hack doesn't look good just ok?

2 hours ago, nicg4360 said:

I was a much bigger fan of Chad Pennington than Ryan Tannehill.

Tannehill stinks.  Dolphins will regress next year and try to buy him out

I was saying what Big Mac would do.  I'm not the GM. 

I can see a scenario similar to the Chargers with Brees being a 2nd round pick then drafting rivers with the 4th overall well I guess technically it was a trade. Brees all of a sudden turned it around and Rivers sat until Brees left in free agency. It's up to Hack to have a similar outcome and try to keep the upcoming first round pick on the sidelines.

10 hours ago, thadude said:

Well Mac did cut out two best receivers since Keyshawn who both had reasonable contracts just cuz

Marshall asked for his release because he didn't want to be on a rebuilding team at the end of his career and Decker has been hurt 2 of the 3 seasons we had him but whatever fits your agenda.

7 hours ago, gEYno said:

If the media narrative is the reason for this teams failures, then it was never good enough to begin with.

Not saying it is THE reason. But it is a real issue the Jets have to overcome that few other teams, if any, have to deal with. I can't think of any other team where the media covering it's own market actively roots against them.

10 hours ago, thadude said:

We actually don't have a terrible roster outside of qb.  Our qb's are just so bad

So what you're saying is the GM that you want to fire and consider one of the worst in the league actually built a decent roster with young talent?  Which take is it because you can talk out of both sides of your mouth in less than an hour.

Hysterical.

Long story short, it's gonna have to take a really solid season/showing for Hack to cement himself as the future and force the team to pass on a top talent...it's well known that I love the kid, but I don't see it happening.  I want him to prove me so very wrong...more than anything...but I think we're picking a 1st round QB next year.  

That said...I still hope I'm wrong

If we get the #1 pick and Darnold stays rated like he is there are only two possible scenarios even with Maccagan

1. We take him regardless of how Hack plays

2. We trade him for a truckload of picks likely 3 numbers plus.

There is no scenario where we take another player at 1 unless 1 of the other QBs is higher rated than Sam after this year.

8 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Because the Lions are such an amazing franchise (Hahahahahaha)... What do the Lions have... Why would he want to stay... He would have his choice of nearly half the league going after him. 

How many playoff games have the lions won in the last 60 years? ... Go on look it up... (The answer is 1 - 1991)

How many years have they made the playoffs in the last 25 years?? ... 3 Times.... 

Yeah it seems like he should absolutely stay... How did that work for Barry Sanders.

While I agree to a certain extent I doubt Stafford would come to a Jet team that is most likely going to be in worse shape than the Lions will be. I could see him going to a team that has great skill players but no QB. Stafford can play no doubt. He has toiled in relative obscurity in Detroit though and I don't know how he would handle the spotlight with the expectation to win being so high in other cities where even the littlest thing is scrutinized so heavily. BTW my wife is a huge Lions fan and I go to at least one game a season. So I have watched him play quite a bit.

6 hours ago, JiF said:

I agree with this 100%. Say they finish 3-13 with Hack starting after a 0-7 start. Hack goes 3-6 and improves a little bit after each start. I could see Mac passing on a QB in this scenario very easily. That would be a HUGE mistake.

11 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

While I agree to a certain extent I doubt Stafford would come to a Jet team that is most likely going to be in worse shape than the Lions will be. I could see him going to a team that has great skill players but no QB. Stafford can play no doubt. He has toiled in relative obscurity in Detroit though and I don't know how he would handle the spotlight with the expectation to win being so high in other cities where even the littlest thing is scrutinized so heavily. BTW my wife is a huge Lions fan and I go to at least one game a season. So I have watched him play quite a bit.

And if the Jets turn out to be better then expected? And the Jets have a ton of cap room with a top tier Defense... You never know... its a year away and Stafford isn't signed yet... Again I am in the minority here but all this talk of doom and gloom makes me even more confident this team is going to surprise and compete and every game.

17 hours ago, JiF said:

According to you and you're crew, Hack doesn't even belong in the NFL, how can a guy look slightly competent if he was undraftable and doesn't belong on an NFL roster. Missing the logicz here

16 hours ago, thadude said:

It's not that simple

I am not saying run the offense Tom Brady runs now... Run the offense Tom Brady ran his first 2-3 years as a starter and let the defense win you all the games.

18 hours ago, nicg4360 said:

In no way was he comparing Hack to Brady. Not sure where you see that. Very clearly he suggests giving Hack an offence that Brady uses "Dink and Dunk".

Thanks for the back-up

19 hours ago, thadude said:

I don't even think Hack will be on the roster in 2018 but even if he was and we go 4-12 there is no way he's beating out Rosen or Allen.  Even Lamar Jackson would start over Hack, easily

I wouldn't go that far. As of right now, the odd man out looks like it'll be Petty, who is/was reportedly a distant 3rd. I don't know if that's due to surgery recovery, if it's outright inaccurate, or if it's just plain old meaningless because it was May-June.

If he shows he's up to the task, I'm 100% fine with Hackenberg sticking as the #2 next year. I'm 100% fine with Hack beating out a top-5 pick to open the 2018 season as the starter if a first spring/summer isn't enough time for a rookie to start week 1. I'm fine with Hack beating out next year's 1st round pick and never relinquishing the job because he's suddenly really good. I want the team to have a good, young QB and don't care what the player's name is. Pessimism over Hack being that guy doesn't mean I wouldn't be thrilled if he was awesome.

I felt the exact same way when the names were Clemens/Sanchez (who possessed eerily similar draft slot comparisons to Hackenberg and the expected-whomever). 

14 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Long story short, it's gonna have to take a really solid season/showing for Hack to cement himself as the future and force the team to pass on a top talent...it's well known that I love the kid, but I don't see it happening.  I want him to prove me so very wrong...more than anything...but I think we're picking a 1st round QB next year.  

That said...I still hope I'm wrong

I hope they pick a top QB no matter how well they do this year.... can't have enough.

15 hours ago, nicg4360 said:

I can see a scenario similar to the Chargers with Brees being a 2nd round pick then drafting rivers with the 4th overall well I guess technically it was a trade. Brees all of a sudden turned it around and Rivers sat until Brees left in free agency. It's up to Hack to have a similar outcome and try to keep the upcoming first round pick on the sidelines.

I'd love to see this scenario.  It's ideal but I doubt it happens.  

And my takes are coming from Mac's perspective, not my own.  And homey just took a S over 2 QB prospects with no real starter on the roster.  I assume because of the presence of Hack.  So, like I said before...if Hack shows any signs of life, I could 100% see Mac giving him all of 2018 and not drafting a QB next season.

I hope they pick a top QB no matter how well they do this year.... can't have enough.

With Petty in his final year a QB will be picked. What round a QB is picked is likely all going to be determined by Hacks play. He comes in and lights it up and plays Carson Wentz style or better it will be in 2-4 round. He shows no improvement and plays like the preseason games last year we will be using a first round pick.

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I wouldn't go that far. As of right now, the odd man out looks like it'll be Petty, who is/was reportedly a distant 3rd. I don't know if that's due to surgery recovery, if it's outright inaccurate, or if it's just plain old meaningless because it was May-June.

If he shows he's up to the task, I'm 100% fine with Hackenberg sticking as the #2 next year. I'm 100% fine with Hack beating out a top-5 pick to open the 2018 season as the starter if a first spring/summer isn't enough time for a rookie to start week 1. I'm fine with Hack beating out next year's 1st round pick and never relinquishing the job because he's suddenly really good. I want the team to have a good, young QB and don't care what the player's name is. Pessimism over Hack being that guy doesn't mean I wouldn't be thrilled if he was awesome.

I felt the exact same way when the names were Clemens/Sanchez (who possessed eerily similar draft slot comparisons to Hackenberg and the expected-whomever). 

Except McCown won't start this year.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'd love to see this scenario.  It's ideal but I doubt it happens.  

And my takes are coming from Mac's perspective, not my own.  And homey just took a S over 2 QB prospects with no real starter on the roster.  I assume because of the presence of Hack.  So, like I said before...if Hack shows any signs of life, I could 100% see Mac giving him all of 2018 and not drafting a QB next season.

Move past the two safeties ... its an old and tired argument already and the season hasn't even started.... It's proven that many teams have taken 2 safeties in a single draft... Even superbowl winning franchises... And so what if he passed on subpar QB talents for two prospects in the strength of the draft... In fact most fans would want the GM to draft players that are strong in the draft and not weak talent pool

29 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

According to you and you're crew, Hack doesn't even belong in the NFL, how can a guy look slightly competent if he was undraftable and doesn't belong on an NFL roster. Missing the logicz here

I've never said that Hack doesnt belong in the NFL.  In fact, I've said numerous times that I understand liking the prospect.  He was a 5 star recruit and the #1 pro QB prospect coming out of High School.  At one point was considered the #1 overall pick in the draft.  Something is in there, somewhere.  That said, taking him the 2nd round was moronic and I have zero faith in the Jets ability to develop him but that's very different than what you're claiming.

The logic is simple; I can see a scenario where if Hack is slightly competent than Mac passes on QB next year.  Not sure why that needs further explanation.  Pretty simple logic to grasp. 

4 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

With Petty in his final year a QB will be picked. What round a QB is picked is likely all going to be determined by Hacks play. He comes in and lights it up and plays Carson Wentz style or better it will be in 2-4 round. He shows no improvement and plays like the preseason games last year we will be using a first round pick.

I still think its first round even if Hack is great

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Move past the two safeties ... its an old and tired argument already and the season hasn't even started.... It's proven that many teams have taken 2 safeties in a single draft... Even superbowl winning franchises... And so what if he passed on subpar QB talents for two prospects in the strength of the draft... In fact most fans would want the GM to draft players that are strong in the draft and not weak talent pool

You dont get to decide what I want to talk about and when I talk about it and I who I talk about it with, but thanks for the input.   

That said, I didnt say anything about drafting 2 safeties.  I said Mac took a S over 2 QB prospects in a year that he didnt have a QB.  Cute rant though.

On 6/27/2017 at 11:33 PM, JetFaninMI said:

Your asking an awful lot for a guy who is a young inexperienced QB. He is going to make mistakes and probably a lot of them. The problem as I see it is the media focus on him. The scrutiny he has faced WITHOUT PLAYING A DOWN in a real game is simply ridiculous. If he can have any type of success in the face of such adversity that would say a lot about his make-up. If he can show progress when all are writing him off that alone would go along towards showing he can be an NFL quality starter, Still you have to remember the guy is 22 and while I would love it if he shoved it in everyone's face and had a decent season I am not confident. There is really nothing to go on so its hard to say what Hack needs to do realistically to start in 2018. Lets get through 2017 before we start on 2018.

Though technically true, this is that's an oversimplification that suggests he's as much a clean slate as any total unknown or as someone with a more successful history.

He's primarily faced this scrutiny because he was 4th string on a team with 3 lousy QBs, after being drafted in round 2, which itself followed 2 college seasons that would have kept lower profile QBs out of the draft's first 2 rounds. 

Then he had that awful close to the preseason, followed by losing out to Petty midseason when he was given another chance to be Fitz's backup after Geno went on IR. Further still, and despite any fans rationalizing why it was smart to keep him as a backup through the final game, the optics of that weren't good. All this while, a rookie QB drafted 2+ rounds later made the pro bowl.

When he gets drafted so much higher than expected, and the team that does it is already one of the sports media's favorite punching bags, it's not unexpected for that scrutiny to be even greater.  Like most people, the self-proclaimed draft experts and other sports talking heads love to say "I told you so" and harping on Hackenberg is little more than a form of just that.

Archived