#JetsCamp Updates - Day Four - Tues 08/01/17

Maxman

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What in the holy ****. I'm leaving this website forever and will spend all my time there, reading all of their works. Please, sir, direct me to their addy.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2017/7/31/16069192/of-narrative-mob-mentalities-gerald-ford-and-the-2017-jets

If there were a way to consume a blog post intravenously, I would plug this directly into my jugular

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dbatesman said:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2017/7/31/16069192/of-narrative-mob-mentalities-gerald-ford-and-the-2017-jets

If there were a way to consume a blog post intravenously, I would plug this directly into my jugular

I'm doing a Google search for "Gerald Ford smart" and it produced a bunch of articles stating, "ACTUALLY, Gerald Ford was very smart but people don't think so because of CHEVY CHASE" and I'm thinking that Ford=Jets analogy is increasingly the pure, iridescent light of genius.

Just now, T0mShane said:

I'm doing a Google search for "Gerald Ford smart" and it produced a bunch of articles stating, "ACTUALLY, Gerald Ford was very smart but people don't think so because of CHEVY CHASE" and I'm thinking that Ford=Jets analogy is increasingly the pure, iridescent light of genius.

Smackdad is the prophet of our time

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

HOLY GOD YES HOLY GOD.

...Well, I gradually became aware of my own consciousness as my daily sleep cycle ended. I went to the bathroom and excreted waste built up over my hours of slumber. I entered the shower, turned on the water and adjusted the temperature for maximum comfort. I applied soap to my body and shampoo to my hair in order to remove dirt, grime and the offensive smells that gradually accumulated on my body over the prior day. Once this daily cleansing ritual was complete I rinsed with clean water, turned the water off, exited the shower and applied a towel to my body to remove any excess moisture.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

HOLY GOD YES HOLY GOD.

Macgregor Wells FTMFW!

7 minutes ago, Joejet said:

I see Bevis and Butthead are amusing each other again at the expense of people hoping to read Jets news!

Think practice is over.  It is fine to **** around.  If the tweets were still coming it would be bad form.

57 minutes ago, hawk said:

Cant imagine they put in some new plays during day 4...Of course im sure every player just immediately does sh*t right.   especially QB...whats the need to even have pracrice.

See this is the main issue for Hack this year he is learning a brand new offense, year 1 for a QB that you plan on red shirting should be to learn the offense, year 2 is the year where he can confidently take his new, and improved mechanics in to a competition to win QB 1 job with full knowledge of the offensive system, the change on offense probably makes this a 3 year project instead of a realistic shot at a 2 year project, and when Bowles gets fired, and a 3rd offense is installed next year Hack's career as a Jet is over, and he will latch on somewhere else after year 4 alla Geno sit for 2 years in an established offensive system behind a veteran, and in his 7th year at the age of 28 he will begin his awesome career with another team winning a Super Bowl because Jets.

13 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

See this is the main issue for Hack this year he is learning a brand new offense, year 1 for a QB that you plan on red shirting should be to learn the offense, year 2 is the year where he can confidently take his new, and improved mechanics in to a competition to win QB 1 job with full knowledge of the offensive system, the change on offense probably makes this a 3 year project instead of a realistic shot at a 2 year project, and when Bowles gets fired, and a 3rd offense is installed next year Hack's career as a Jet is over, and he will latch on somewhere else after year 4 alla Geno sit for 2 years in an established offensive system behind a veteran, and in his 7th year at the age of 28 he will begin his awesome career with another team winning a Super Bowl because Jets.

He couldn't learn the offense last year.  He had to learn "footwork" 

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Joe, hello. I have the news you requested. It is as follows: the Jets, are Bad

Hi this is Tom from Fairfield. First time long time. Yeah, uh. Do we still have to waste a first round pick on a quarterback next year or what. I'll hang up and listen. 

Pick-less Christian Hackenberg showing progress at Jets training camp

Gallery: New York Jets open training camp, 7-29-17

0shares

By Connor Hughes

chughes@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK -- His eyes grew wide. His superstition kicked into high gear. The words spoken by a reporter after the Jets concluded their fourth training camp practice still lingered in the air.  

How does Christian Hackenberg feel about his interception-free start to team drills?

"Anyone got any wood?" the quarterback joked. 

After a turbulent rookie year filled with no playing time and anonymous rips from coaches, Hackenberg has taken noticeable steps in the right direction. He's much more comfortable on the field, his arm is as alive as ever, and his accuracy and footwork more consistent.

But the fact he's pick-less? Well, that has to make John Morton happy. 

The first-year offensive coordinator has preached -- every day since organized team activities -- the need to take care of the football. "You win 82 percent of games if you win the turnover battle," he says. 

So far, Hackenberg has listened. 

"It's one of those things, where, I think it's something to build on," Hackenberg said. "I feel like it shows, at least for me, some growth in some areas. Recognition. Those types of things.

"Being able to see all this last year, go against our defense, and now have spring and training camp definitely helps. And our defense does a lot of stuff, so they challenge us. That's great."

Even without the interceptions, Hackenberg is still behind 38-year-old veteran Josh McCown on the unofficial depth chart, which is an accurate representation of training camp thus far. While Hackenberg is better, he's not there just yet. 

Is this the best battle at Jets camp?

Monday, he was removed from a 7-on-7 drill due to communication errors. Tuesday, he threw an ugly interception in individual drills, and bounced several passes short of wide-open receivers. 

The Jets are encouraged by Hackenberg's progress, but won't baptize him by fire. He's taking baby steps in the right direction, but is still several lunges away from being a realistic candidate to start Week 1.

When he's ready, he'll work his way up the depth chart. 

"There's no one main criteria," Bowles said for what he's looking for in a starter. "Obviously production takes care of a lot of it. Command. Intelligence. Toughness. Vocal. There are so many things as a quarterback that you look for. You try to get as many things as you can."

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @Connor_J_Hughes. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Hi this is Tom from Fairfield. First time long time. Yeah, uh. Do we still have to waste a first round pick on a quarterback next year or what. I'll hang up and listen. 

Tbd.  Some say yes, some say no, I say let's let it play out more than 4 days.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is like when I'd ask my professors for an extension and they'd grant it and then I'd have to find a way to ask them what the assignment was.

You blew it on my bet. I included petty and it doesn't look like he's going to get a sniff.

And the assignment was compare/contrast 80s new wave lyrical themes with classic English poets

Jets' quarterback competition trending toward two-man battle

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0801%2Fr238833_1

Bryce Petty has seen fewer reps than fellow quarterbacks Josh McCown and Christian Hackenberg so far during training camp. Noah K. Murray/USA TODAY Sports

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Right now, it's a two-man race: Josh McCown versus Christian Hackenberg.

For the fourth straight day, Bryce Petty received the fewest number of practice reps in the New York Jets' quarterback competition. Coach Todd Bowles refused to attach any significance to the rep totals and rotation order, insisting Tuesday the starting job remains wide open.

Asked when he will change the order, Bowles said, "When they start to impress me" -- meaning Hackenberg and Petty.

Clearly, Bowles doesn't like giving daily updates, saying it's too early to form evaluations. He allowed this much: The eventual winner will be the quarterback who gives them the best chance to win.

"Always," he said.

JOSH McCOWN

This was perhaps his best day, at least from an efficiency standpoint. Operating a conservative passing attack, he completed 16 of 19 attempts with no turnovers and no "sacks." McCown worked exclusively with the first-team offense ... again. So far, he's in the lead even if Bowles won't admit it.

Wow moment: There were none, but one thing jumped out. During a water break between periods, McCown walked over to the defense and spoke to a handful of players, trying to fire them up. It's not often you see a quarterback do that sort of thing, but that's part of his rah-rah leadership style.

Whoa moment: None, really. It was a pretty clean day.

CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG

Hackenberg has to yet to throw an interception in 11-on-11 drills -- four practices and counting. Yes, he's aware of the mini-streak. Asked if it's a source of pride, he said, "That's a tough question, man. It's something to build on. ... It shows, at least for me, some growth in some areas -- recognition, those types of things."

Wow moment: This wasn't a particularly crisp practice, as he completed only 7 of 12 attempts (one sack). That said, there weren't any calamitous moments, which shows progress. Each day, he seems more comfortable at the line of scrimmage.

Whoa moment: In a 7-on-7 period, Hackenberg threw into double coverage and was intercepted by Dexter McDougle on a deflection. It was an ill-advised throw.

BRYCE PETTY

Petty received only nine reps, compared to 27 for McCown and 18 for Hackenberg. Saying he learned from past experiences, Petty said he refuses to count reps. He fell into that trap in the past, leading to frustration. On Tuesday, he made the most of his limited work, completing 6-of-8.

Wow moment: Petty connected with Chris Harper for a 35-yard completion. It was a fantastic, one-handed catch, but it also was a nice throw; it had to be squeezed between two defenders. It also came on an audible, as Petty changed the play at the line of scrimmage.

Whoa moment: None.

Jets rookie report: Two rookies combined to make the loudest play of the day. TE Jordan Leggett (fifth-round pick) made a catch near the sideline and got blown up by S Marcus Maye (second round). Maye hit him so hard his helmet came off. This came during a "live" period in full pads. It was easily the most physical practice of camp. Coach Todd Bowles wants more hitting, and he got it.

On 8/1/2017 at 3:01 PM, JiF said:

Break was the wrong word.  His get off.  Hansen seems to get off the line and into his route faster.

They both get to the coach directing them into their break at 2 seconds into the gif, so if Hansen gets off the line faster, the difference is mostly if not entirely made up by the time they reach 10 yards.  But I wouldn't be surprised; Peake is a taller WR, a long strider, and those guys usually take a bit longer to reach top speed

Archived