Kenny Easley and his 7 years of play now in the HOF

Jet_Engine1

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Amen.....     I didn't realize he played only 7 years but Klecko was a much m943 dominant force than Easley...  but JETS get shilt on  at every turn. 

And hes still talking. LOL. Hes referred to himself in the third person about 10 times so far, and hes so self unaware, he doesn't realize hes first to speak because he was a pity entry, and outside of Seattle (and lets be honest, most of the current Hawks fans have no idea who he is) nobody gives a **** about him.

And now hes on a Black Lives Matter tangent..

LOL. Whos next? Otis Smith?

25 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I never watch the Hall of Fame speeches, they are SOOOO boring.

Jason Taylor is killing it. Cant help but like him. Thanked all the owners he played for, including Dan Snyder, who he "stole a lot of money from....sorry". LOL

10 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Jason Taylor is killing it. Cant help but like him. Thanked all the owners he played for, including Dan Snyder, who he "stole a lot of money from....sorry". LOL

Talked about being a HOF dad....  was so humble.  best speech I've head in a long time. 

Hard not to like him now

Easley was a beast. Defensive player of the year, 4 all pros and 5 pro bowls. Without kidney disease, he would have been one of the all time greats. He belongs in just like Klecko does. It's a shame that it took that long for Easley and Klecko should have been in decades ago. The not counting sacks until 81' really hurt him I believe in the voters eyes. 

10 hours ago, estang74 said:

Easley was a beast. Defensive player of the year, 4 all pros and 5 pro bowls. Without kidney disease, he would have been one of the all time greats. He belongs in just like Klecko does. It's a shame that it took that long for Easley and Klecko should have been in decades ago. The not counting sacks until 81' really hurt him I believe in the voters eyes. 

8 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Easley is probably the best safety ever, and possibly the best college defensive player ever

1,000 Appreciations for these two posts and adding some class to this toilet bowl of a thread. So because Klecko or Hill isn't in the Hall, tearing down Kenny Easley's accomplishments is the remedy because being a big, sour-grapes, triggered baby is the how adults (and men, specifically) should appropriately react... I guess the rules changed on me when I wasn't looking.

Point blank, if all you can say about Easley is that he played 7 years and that he was voted in on "pity," you know nothing of his career and are just exposing your ignorance, and you're also exposing the fact that you're probably not a big a fan of football as you think you are.

12 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

and outside of Seattle (and lets be honest, most of the current Hawks fans have no idea who he is) nobody gives a **** about him.

Seeing that Easley is in the HOF, where placement is determined on a national vote, and Klecko isn't, I'd say this statement would be more appropriately attached to Big Joe.

Easley was really something during his career. Best safety n the league for quite a while.

If I remember correctly I think he ruined his kidneys overdosing ibuprofen so he could play through pain.

He wound up in complete renal failure and got a kidney transplant.

16 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Amen.....     I didn't realize he played only 7 years but Klecko was a much a dominant force than Easley...  but JETS get shilt on  at every turn. 

How many years did Gale Sayers play at a high level?? 5 and only 2 1,000 yd + seasons but if you saw him play you knew he was great...

16 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Amen.....     I didn't realize he played only 7 years but Klecko was a much a dominant force than Easley...  but JETS get shilt on  at every turn. 

Not really.  

Klecko caught a lot of grief for being convicted of perjury in a insurance fraud case and ruined his chances.  Hurt him more than getting shlt on for being a Jet.  

Let me correct myself. Easley really only played for 5.5 seasons considering the strike. And then attacked and belittled his own teammate Jim Zorn for wanting to play during that '87 season.

Very good players for a short period? Gayle Sayers was a transcendent talent. TD ran for 2,000 while stacking 2 SB rings. 

Huge gap between them and Easley IMO. 

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Let me correct myself. Easley really only played for 5.5 seasons considering the strike. And then attacked and belittled his own teammate Jim Zorn for wanting to play during that '87 season.

Very good players for a short period? Gayle Sayers was a transcendent talent. TD ran for 2,000 while stacking 2 SB rings. 

Huge gap between them and Easley IMO. 

russfail.gif

Jeezus dude, give the slander of Easley a rest. He's in the HOF. Deservedly.

To our disappointment, Kleck ain't in. That has NOTHING to do with Easley and to be triggered for Joe reeks of beta-male triggering.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Not really.  

Klecko caught a lot of grief for being convicted of perjury in a insurance fraud case and ruined his chances.  Hurt him more than getting shlt on for being a Jet.  

Understood....  but the NFL isn't exactly full of choir boys.   Joe in my view is as worthy as many players already in. 

12 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I have no idea what this means. Please. Enlighten me.

Your wah-wahing over Easley being in the HOF & Kleck not being in, especially considering one has NOTHING to do with the other, makes you come off as Kleck's bottom b!tch. Clear enough now?

And if you want to criticize Easley for asking a teammate to, you know, honor the movement of their own damn union, I would say don't be a flaming hypocrite, but it seems that trait of hypocrisy runs parallel between you and Klecko:

"Gastineau crossed the picket line and Joe Klecko warned the rest of the Jets, "The first one who talks to that guy when this is over gets punched in the mouth. Two weeks later, Klecko crossed the line, leading tight end Rocky Klever to ask, "Has Joe punched himself in the mouth yet?"

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Sorry CPA, quoted you by mistake.

Kenny Easley made 5 pro Bowls and 4 All Pro teams 

Joe Klecko made 4 Pro Bowls and 2 All Pro teams

Easley had 32 career interceptions, Klecko had 24 career sacks.

neither won a ring but Easley's resume is better. Saying otherwise is homerism. 

7 hours ago, rammagen said:

Klecko belongs in the hall. but it does not mean these other players do not.

it's a very touchy subject around here to go against "Klecko belongs in the Hall" argument but I'm going to do it anyway.

Joe Klecko was an excellent player but he wasn't even the best pass rusher on his own team.

If Mark Gastineau had the human personality of Klecko HE'S the real Jets HOF'er from that era. The guy broke the sack record and invented the sack dance. 

99 was a POS as a person but an amazing athlete. 73 was a great person (tax stuff aside) but overall a mediocre athlete. And that's coming from a guy who wears both jerseys and i grew up with the Sack exchange. it's not the hall of underdogs who made good, it's not the hall of great, it's the hall of fame. It's a shame that 73 falls just short every time but I don't think the voters are wrong. He's an inpiration but he's not getting into the HOF. neither is Chrebet. The Jets team of that era didn't win anything of significance. 

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Kenny Easley made 5 pro Bowls and 4 All Pro teams 

Joe Klecko made 4 Pro Bowls and 2 All Pro teams

Easley had 32 career interceptions, Klecko had 24 career sacks.

neither won a ring but Easley's resume is better. Saying otherwise is homerism. 

I could pick this arguement apart, but in the spirit of cooperation I will just say, we will agree to disagree.

Now, tell me how Winston Hill isnt a HOF'er.

8 Pro Bowls (4 AFL all star teams) 

All Time AFL 2nd Team.

Superbowl III ring

14 year career.

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's a very touchy subject around here to go against "Klecko belongs in the Hall" argument but I'm going to do it anyway.

Joe Klecko was an excellent player but he wasn't even the best pass rusher on his own team.

If Mark Gastineau had the human personality of Klecko HE'S the real Jets HOF'er from that era. The guy broke the sack record and invented the sack dance. 

99 was a POS as a person but an amazing athlete. 73 was a great person (tax stuff aside) but overall a mediocre athlete. And that's coming from a guy who wears both jerseys and i grew up with the Sack exchange. it's not the hall of underdogs who made good, it's not the hall of great, it's the hall of fame. It's a shame that 73 falls just short every time but I don't think the voters are wrong. He's an inpiration but he's not getting into the HOF. neither is Chrebet. The Jets team of that era didn't win anything of significance. 

Hit the nail on the head with Gastineau. He was a force and deserves to be in the HOF. He held the record for most sacks in a season and still would co-hold the record if the Packers didn't lay down so Strahan could get the record.

And Joe belongs in the HOF.

19 hours ago, estang74 said:

never heard of him....   Klecko should be in the HOF.

16 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I could pick this arguement apart, but in the spirit of cooperation I will just say, we will agree to disagree.

Now, tell me how Winston Hill isnt a HOF'er.

8 Pro Bowls (4 AFL all star teams) 

All Time AFL 2nd Team.

Superbowl III ring

14 year career.

Winston Hill has a more legitimate case than Klecko. His career is similar to Art Shell. The difference between Shell had 2 rings and Hill only 1. But both 8 ProBowls and 4 All Pros. I can see the case for Hill. But still let's look at other HOF LT. Jim Otto made it from that 1960's era. He was selected to 12 consecutive All Star games.  Anthony Munoz made 11 Pro Bowls and 9 All Pro's. Bruce Matthews made 14 consecutive Pro Bowls.

No disrespect to Winston Hill but there is a standard for the HOF and i don't think it's crazy to measure his bid as falling just short. It's close but  not an Anti-Jets conspiracy.   

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Understood....  but the NFL isn't exactly full of choir boys.   Joe in my view is as worthy as many players already in. 

I dont agree with it, just know thats given as the biggest reason he was passed.  

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Winston Hill has a more legitimate case than Klecko. His career is similar to Art Shell. The difference between Shell had 2 rings and Hill only 1. But both 8 ProBowls and 4 All Pros. I can see the case for Hill. But still let's look at other HOF LT. Jim Otto made it from that 1960's era. He was selected to 12 consecutive All Star games.  Anthony Munoz made 11 Pro Bowls and 9 All Pro's. Bruce Matthews made 14 consecutive Pro Bowls.

No disrespect to Winston Hill but there is a standard for the HOF and i don't think it's crazy to measure his bid as falling just short. It's close but  not an Anti-Jets conspiracy.   

Agree that Hill is the most eligible Jet. He was as important to the AFL and the Jets as Don Maynard IMO.  Its a travesty hes not in.

The problem is that with the explosion of the NFL exposure on TV over the past 30 years, the HOF is going to be getting watered down. Watch how many players of tge modern era get in, over guys more deserving from the past. It's frustrating. I have no personal dislike of a guy like Easley, but he played in an era when DBs could get away with murder by todays standard. Safety was a position mistly filled by guys who couldnt play CB at the NFL level, it was a pretty secondary position (no pun intended) back then. He had good stats, for a very brief period, but the pool he was measured against was shallow. Ronnie Lott was redefining the position. The Woodsons didnt exist yet. Steve Atwater was statistically a better player, has 2 rings, and isnt in the HOF.

Klecko was an interior lineman. He has 24 sacks? In the 70s and 80s? And a lot of his time was played before they even kept the stat. He made the Pro Bowl at 3 different position, still a feat UNMATCHED by ANYONE. HOF Linemen call him the toughest matchup they ever faced.

And hes not just not in, hes IGNORED. I talked to Gil Brandt one day about10 years ago (yeah, that Gil Brandt). He thinks Klecko deserves in. He knows more about football than all of us on this board COMBINED.

But in the next 10-15 years we're going to see a bunch of "pretty goods" get into the HOF, and the guys that played before NFL Network, DirecTV Sunday Ticket, Redzone, ESPN 1-8, and Sirius Radio get left ignored.....

19 hours ago, bitonti said:

Gas set the sack record with what 22 sacks, Klecko had 20 one season

Klecko actually played the run, was a better DE before the injuries and the move to the inside.

Howie Long and Hannah all say Klecko was a beast who belongs in the hall, Long pushes it.  No one ever makes a case for Gas.  It isnt because he danced, its because most believe he hurt the team by going for the sack over playing his position.  Like Klecko did

Easley absolutely belongs. Next to Ronnie Lott he was one of the dominant safeties of his era. (Steve Atwater being the other)

I was happy to see him get the call. There are quite a number of guys (Ken Riley of the Bengals, Randy Gradishar of the Broncos, Klecko and Winston Hill who always get overlooked.

As far Jayson Taylor is concerned. I thought it was a great speech. I put it up there along with Michael Irvin's speech. Then I remembered I was Jets fan and got over it.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Gas set the sack record with what 22 sacks, Klecko had 20 one season

Klecko actually played the run, was a better DE before the injuries and the move to the inside.

Howie Long and Hannah all say Klecko was a beast who belongs in the hall, Long pushes it.  No one ever makes a case for Gas.  It isnt because he danced, its because most believe he hurt the team by going for the sack over playing his position.  Like Klecko did

If you were watching the 1982 Jets and I told you there was 1 hall of fame defensive lineman on the roster, you wouldn't guess it was Klecko. 

The Hall is often about players who were so physically dominant that you'll never forget that guy. Especially on the line. Mean Joe Greene for example. 

The Hall is not full of versatile players who grind and make the most of their limited physical gifts. 

Archived