Refs & running game killed us Sunday

Jetster

You know we can all dissect this game into a million fractured pieces, like what defense were we in when Brady scored his 2nd TD at the end of the half but it's all just a moot point. Defenses all over this league have been trying to stop Tom Brady from ripping them a new azzhole. 

Last years Super Bowl, this year vs Houston when the Texans had both Watt & Mercilus playing. All of these games have the same thing in common, keep that mofo GOAT on the sideline where he can't do any damage! 

Did the Jets get jobbed by the refs? Your damn right, I thought there were 3 huge terrible calls in the game that could have been the difference for our Jets to get a win. While many here are talking about the most obvious & aggregious, the overturn call with ASJ, a call that really turned the momentum was much earlier in the game & came at a time when the Jets had the Pats on their heels up 14-0. How the f*ck do you throw a flag for hitting a defenseless receiver & then discuss it, pick up the flag, while Jet fans everywhere get to see a replay of a helmet to helmet hit? 

The Patriots are the only team in this league that get flags picked up after they are thrown? It's absolutely crazy. It happened against Houston too, Flowers grabbed the Texans TE on a 3rd down (obviously hooked him), and the flag was thrown. For all intents & purpose it would have resulted in an automatic 1st down, Texans would have eaten more clock, Pats & Brady would not have had time for their comeback as this was at the end of the 4th quarter. But, unlike any other games I witness week in & week out, inexplicably the refs gather to discuss, and announce that there is no flag on the play? They show the replay on the big screen, Flowers hooks the TE, Bill Obrien goes apesh*t on the sidelines ripping the refs, obviously to no avail. When have you ever seen a holding call & subsequent flag picked up for the Jets? NEVER!

Then you had the Gronk PI with Adams. Is there ever a time that Gronk doesn't use his big mitts to push off? Not only that the replays clearly show Gronk put his hand on Adams FACEMASK. I believe that was on 3rd down? 

Now to the running game. 4 times in the 2nd quarter the Jets had 2nd & 2 or 1 yard to go & failed every time! That was an absolute killer! By converting you keep Brady watching, you force the Pats D into defending at least 3 more plays, and you move into scoring position while eating up the entire 2nd quarter clock. The run play calling was atrocious! Let's just run into the strength of their D. Pitch the ball, use stretch plays, stay 4/5 wide to keep them spread out. While I'm not a huge fan of any of our RBs, we really missed Powells presence. We needed to convert at least 2 of those 3rd downs.

We all know Mo sucks & we got zero pressure on Brady but the bottom line, turn those calls around convert on short yardage, Jets probably are in 1st place in the AFC East. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, same old story for our New York Jets.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

You know we can all dissect this game into a million fractured pieces, like what defense were we in when Brady scored his 2nd TD at the end of the half but it's all just a moot point. Defenses all over this league have been trying to stop Tom Brady from ripping them a new azzhole. 

Last years Super Bowl, this year vs Houston when the Texans had both Watt & Mercilus playing. All of these games have the same thing in common, keep that mofo GOAT on the sideline where he can't do any damage! 

Did the Jets get jobbed by the refs? Your damn right, I thought there were 3 huge terrible calls in the game that could have been the difference for our Jets to get a win. While many here are talking about the most obvious & aggregious, the overturn call with ASJ, a call that really turned the momentum was much earlier in the game & came at a time when the Jets had the Pats on their heels up 14-0. How the f*ck do you throw a flag for hitting a defenseless receiver & then discuss it, pick up the flag, while Jet fans everywhere get to see a replay of a helmet to helmet hit? 

The Patriots are the only team in this league that get flags picked up after they are thrown? It's absolutely crazy. It happened against Houston too, Flowers grabbed the Texans TE on a 3rd down (obviously hooked him), and the flag was thrown. For all intents & purpose it would have resulted in an automatic 1st down, Texans would have eaten more clock, Pats & Brady would not have had time for their comeback as this was at the end of the 4th quarter. But, unlike any other games I witness week in & week out, inexplicably the refs gather to discuss, and announce that there is no flag on the play? They show the replay on the big screen, Flowers hooks the TE, Bill Obrien goes apesh*t on the sidelines ripping the refs, obviously to no avail. When have you ever seen a holding call & subsequent flag picked up for the Jets? NEVER!

Then you had the Gronk PI with Adams. Is there ever a time that Gronk doesn't use his big mitts to push off? Not only that the replays clearly show Gronk put his hand on Adams FACEMASK. I believe that was on 3rd down? 

Now to the running game. 4 times in the 2nd quarter the Jets had 2nd & 2 or 1 yard to go & failed every time! That was an absolute killer! By converting you keep Brady watching, you force the Pats D into defending at least 3 more plays, and you move into scoring position while eating up the entire 2nd quarter clock. The run play calling was atrocious! Let's just run into the strength of their D. Pitch the ball, use stretch plays, stay 4/5 wide to keep them spread out. While I'm not a huge fan of any of our RBs, we really missed Powells presence. We needed to convert at least 2 of those 3rd downs.

We all know Mo sucks & we got zero pressure on Brady but the bottom line, turn those calls around convert on short yardage, Jets probably are in 1st place in the AFC East. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, same old story for our New York Jets.

good points all.  the thing is the jets can only control what they can control and this means they need to get the oline run blocking better and they need to find a way to get pressure on the qb from the dline.  they take care of those aspects and whatever short comings they have will seem that much smaller.  and if the oline run blocks better then a better case can be made to start petty or hack.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

good points all.  the thing is the jets can only control what they can control and this means they need to get the oline run blocking better and they need to find a way to get pressure on the qb from the dline.  they take care of those aspects and whatever short comings they have will seem that much smaller.  and if the oline run blocks better then a better case can be made to start petty or hack.

I wouldn't start hack against a HS team.  He really is horrible and Mac will have to learn to embrace his ineptitude regarding making that pick. 

My take: the Pats killed them.  Sunday's game played out like all the other competitive Pats-Jets games when the Pats come out on top.  The Pats ALWAYS score a TD at the end of the half in every game they've won against the Jets.  This Sunday was no different.

19 minutes ago, SMC said:

My take: the Pats killed them.  Sunday's game played out like all the other competitive Pats-Jets games when the Pats come out on top.  The Pats ALWAYS score a TD at the end of the half in every game they've won against the Jets.  This Sunday was no different.

2017 pats td 12 seconds left in the half

2016 pats td 2.47 left and then .31 seconds left in the half

2016 pats td 6.35 left in the half

2015 pats fg 2.05 left in the half.

Bowels and his tight defense and fine clock management.  I guess in his defense the same thing happened with rex I am pretty sure.

I think overall John Morton has done a good job with the offense, and clearly has exceeded expectations.

But I don't quite get the identity of the offense they built, understanding that much of it was built before Morton arrived.

I am supportive of a WCO and trying to build a team that is not completely dependent upon a QB.  But, particularly when you consider the stadium and history, having a Jets team with a strong OL and running game not only seems like a productive path, but is also consistent with the culture of the team, the Northeast and what the fans are looking for.  

I would hope that they look to build a stronger OL and running game this offseason.

24 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think overall John Morton has done a good job with the offense, and clearly has exceeded expectations.

But I don't quite get the identity of the offense they built, understanding that much of it was built before Morton arrived.

I am supportive of a WCO and trying to build a team that is not completely dependent upon a QB.  But, particularly when you consider the stadium and history, having a Jets team with a strong OL and running game not only seems like a productive path, but is also consistent with the culture of the team, the Northeast and what the fans are looking for.  

I would hope that they look to build a stronger OL and running game this offseason.

Morton has NO players of note. He’s done s great job. The offense is better than the D, which carries all the draft capital investment.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Morton has NO players of note. He’s done s great job. The offense is better than the D, which carries all the draft capital investment.

+1

The "identity of the offense" is flinging mud against the wall to mix things up and try different things per opponent (or per possession/per play) because they have substandard talent that can't dictate the game.

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

+1

The "identity of the offense" is flinging mud against the wall to mix things up and try different things per opponent (or per possession/per play) because they have substandard talent that can't dictate the game.

The problem with the offense is simple.....the O-Line is terrible. If you can't run the ball, your line stinks. Case closed. That is Mac's biggest crime. A good line covers up many weaknesses, including QB. Until that changes, we will continue to keep pissing into the wind.

33 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

more than anything, this season so far is an illustration of how coaching can make you better or worse.  the defense keeps adding top flight talent but is not elite, not even close.  the offense was laughed at in the preseason, considered to be in contention for the worst of all time, and it looks average.  the 6th round rb has a bigger impact than the 6th pick in the draft, and two wrs who were with other teams all throughout training camp look fine in this offense.  

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Quit running right up the pipes when the other team knows for sure you are going to run up the pipes.

God that was SO FRUSTRAING! Not only that but BB knows when ur running, Patricia tells his fat interior lineman to hold the center in place & your thwarted. There is no doubt in my mind that Wesley Johnson told Bowles they were holding him (almost impossible to see that sh*t inside on running plays), that's why in the 2nd half we got 2 calls of the Pats DTs holding, Bowles must have brought it up to the lead official, lotta good that did after the damage was done.

16 minutes ago, Jetster said:

God that was SO FRUSTRAING! Not only that but BB knows when ur running, Patricia tells his fat interior lineman to hold the center in place & your thwarted. There is no doubt in my mind that Wesley Johnson told Bowles they were holding him (almost impossible to see that sh*t inside on running plays), that's why in the 2nd half we got 2 calls of the Pats DTs holding, Bowles must have brought it up to the lead official, lotta good that did after the damage was done.

i was at the game watching personnel groupings.  whenever the jets had stewart and hansen in the game together it was a run play.  every time.  and forte was the lone setback.  

People disagree with me but I still think the best short yardage play is one back, no extra lineman at all.  A spread offense and wide oline splits.

Almost never is a one or 2 yard play because of some great extra block but almost every stoppage of said play is because a d_player made a play.

Why let the other team bring all of their lineman in tight and all of their LBs in tight and all of their safetis in the box.  Make them defend the field.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

People disagree with me but I still think the best short yardage play is one back, no extra lineman at all.  A spread offense and wide oline splits.

Almost never is a one or 2 yard play because of some great extra block but almost every stoppage of said play is because a d_player made a play.

Why let the other team bring all of their lineman in tight and all of their LBs in tight and all of their safetis in the box.  Make them defend the field.

Totally agree. Not only that but when you have that many guys bunched up its easier for those DTs on the Patriots to grab & throw and the refs cant see anything with so many guys in tight. Spread them out & you see holds ect. My entire theory of this game was GO FOR IT, take some chances, be UNPREDICTABLE. Jets coming out in spread with a speedy quick back like McGuire, now you can pitch, or at least he can run along put his foot in the grass & shoot through a small crease. No doubt Morton is kicking himself today. Too much predictability because of personnel groupings.

Todd Bowles on controversial call: No time to cry about it

i?img=%2Fmedia%2Fmotion%2F2017%2F1015%2F

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- In Todd Bowles' world, there's no crying in football.

Even when you get jobbed by a controversial call.

"We're not going to cry about it all week," the New York Jets' coach said Monday. "We have to go play Miami."

Bowles was in no mood to discuss the Austin Seferian-Jenkins play -- the apparent touchdown that was over-ruled by replay and deemed a fumble out of the end zone, resulting in a game-changing touchback in the 24-17 loss to the New England Patriots.

"It doesn't matter today," Bowles said. "We have to move on to Miami. It's not going to change, so it really doesn't matter. It's not worth talking about for me."

Bowles also said, "They're not changing the call; we're not winning the game. I don't give two shakes about it."

Sense a theme?

Bowles acknowledged he discussed it in Monday's team meeting, a one-sided conversation that probably went something like this: "Forget about it. We're on to Miami."

On Monday, NFL senior vice president of officiating Al Riveron said it was "clear and obvious" that Seferian-Jenkins fumbled and that the call on the field -- touchdown -- was rightly overturned. Of course, Riveron was defending himself because he made the ultimate call from the replay center in New York.

It wasn't clear and obvious to a lot of other people, mainly fans and media. After the game, some players were upset and baffled by the turn of events. On Monday, they fell in line with Bowles' edict to forget about it.

Quarterback Josh McCown said he still doesn't understand why it was overturned, but he added, "The league is putting a ton of resources into trying to get those things right. Ultimately, when you bring in replay and send it to the league office and everybody is looking, you hope all those eyes on it make the best decision.

"Obviously, when it doesn't go your way, there's a human element that's very frustrated," McCown continued. "Unless you show me a precedent where they changed the score of a game, for us moving forward, it really doesn't do any good [to complain]. It's gone, it's over with. It's frustrating and we'll hate it and all that stuff, but for us to keep talking about it does no good."

Defensive end Leonard Williams said he still doesn't have a clear understanding of what happened. When he got some Sunday night, he watched a few times, trying to figure out the call.

"It's pointless to keep watching it and keep watching it," he said. "It already happened. There's nothing we can do about it."

2 hours ago, section314 said:

The problem with the offense is simple.....the O-Line is terrible. If you can't run the ball, your line stinks. Case closed. That is Mac's biggest crime. A good line covers up many weaknesses, including QB. Until that changes, we will continue to keep pissing into the wind.

You must mean after QBs and edge rushers lol

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

more than anything, this season so far is an illustration of how coaching can make you better or worse.  the defense keeps adding top flight talent but is not elite, not even close.  the offense was laughed at in the preseason, considered to be in contention for the worst of all time, and it looks average.  the 6th round rb has a bigger impact than the 6th pick in the draft, and two wrs who were with other teams all throughout training camp look fine in this offense.  

We just played Tom Brady who was 20 of 38 for 52% completion. 257 yards, his lowest for the season so far. He threw 2 TDs and had 1 pick, and 1 pick dropped. 27 points scored by the #1 offense in the NFL by far which was aided by a PI call that put the Pats in the red zone.

Archived