Bringing up the Rear; Jets Defense Earns PFF’s Lowest Grade

JetNation

12 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Unintelligent masses rely on polarity for feelings of belonging, comfort and the ease of knowing all the rhetoric. Look at politics. Or religion. Or Apple vs PC. Or Coke vs Pepsi.

In the wise words of Mrs. Potts, it’s a tale as old as time...

I think it is more a matter of false equivalence than dialectic. There was a time when you couldn't make the simple observation that Mark Sanchez is a lousy quarterback without the entire peanut gallery coming to its feet and demanding that you frame your argument as a case for Brian Schottenheimer. This is basically the same thing. They probably both suck, but Bowles being bad at his job doesn't really make it any harder to judge Maccagnan at his, but Maccagnan being bad at his job does make it difficult to figure out what sort of results Bowles could coax out of a real roster.

12 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Unintelligent masses rely on polarity for feelings of belonging, comfort and the ease of knowing all the rhetoric. Look at politics. Or religion. Or Apple vs PC. Or Coke vs Pepsi.

In the wise words of Mrs. Potts, it’s a tale as old as time...

I feel you in my soul .

The fact that the Jets have picked NINE straight defensive players in the 1st round of the draft since 2010 really highlights the fact that this team has been poorly run from top to bottom for a long time. The current regime is responsible for the last 2+ years and 3 drafts and a bottom ranked defense is the end result?  How Mac and /or Bowles have any supporters left on this board is beyond me. 

35 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The fact that the Jets have picked NINE straight defensive players in the 1st round of the draft since 2010 really highlights the fact that this team has been poorly run from top to bottom for a long time. The current regime is responsible for the last 2+ years and 3 drafts and a bottom ranked defense is the end result?  How Mac and /or Bowles have any supporters left on this board is beyond me. 

9 straight, half of which have sucked. Coples, Wilson and Milliner are entirely out of football. Mo might as well be out of football. Is Pryor even in the league? 

37 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Have my hand raised. I'm a supporter. 

The Jets are the bottom ranked defense according to a website's metric I am not really sure anyone understands.

I wonder how many current coaches or GMs fans would be deemed acceptable on this board. I ask because reading the expectations and or complaints on here, it would be a very short list. 

44 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Have my hand raised. I'm a supporter. 

The Jets are the bottom ranked defense according to a website's metric I am not really sure anyone understands.

I wonder how many current coaches or GMs fans would be deemed acceptable on this board. I ask because reading the expectations and or complaints on here, it would be a very short list. 

GM's s need to draft well and be active in free agency in order to fill holes and fix the team's deficiencies.  Coaches have to manage the X's and O's, have command of the locker room, and maximize the talent of the roster he is given to work with.  If you can tell me that our coach and GM have done a good job based on this simple criteria, then we are obviously watching different teams, particularly over the last 1-1/2 years.

48 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

GM's s need to draft well and be active in free agency in order to fill holes and fix the team's deficiencies.  Coaches have to manage the X's and O's, have command of the locker room, and maximize the talent of the roster he is given to work with.  If you can tell me that our coach and GM have done a good job based on this simple criteria, then we are obviously watching different teams, particularly over the last 1-1/2 years.

Agree. goes without saying that is the goal of a GM and HC. I guess I see the last 2 seasons and 6 games differently.

In 2015, coming off a previous record of 4-12. Mac had a salary cap floor. Used the cap space and Jets went 10-6. Whatever reason, or excuse you want to use, it was a big surprise. And the HC deserves a lot of credit.

Off of that season in 2016, did the team have a choice but to try and get over the top and make a run? You could say yes they did, and they should have blown up the team? But is that really an option? To blow up a team after going 10-6? You don't need to look far as the Giants after spending their large cap space, went 11-5, and are now 1-5 to start 2017. Would any franchise blow up their roster coming off 0f 10-6? Yes the 2016 season was a complete failure as aging vets, and QB play that went from all time great in 2015 (look at the Jet's record book) to all time worst. Jets end up at  5-11.

Off of that season, Mac purges the roster of veterans and underperforming contracts. The evidence is there, those players are now either on the street, or not having a significant role on an NFL roster. It appears Mac set this up in case 2016 is a failed season, the Jets would have the resources (cap space) to do a rebuild. The Jets have a roster of mostly under 30, and expectations were worst team in the NFL.

I bring up expectations because how many current coaches and GMs would this fan base deem acceptable? I expect the ones chosen would have had more than 2 seasons and 6 games to show their worth. And to add, if you looked at those coaches and GMs you feel are "doing a good job", they have had the same so called issues the Jets have had.

I see a GM that has a plan, made the best of the last two seasons, but had a reset button in case the bottom fell out. I see a coach that can get victories, even with a suspect roster, and average QB play. What I don't see, is hitting the reset button on the GM and coaches, and that being beneficial to the team. 

Unless they have changed the way they do their defensive ranks which is just adding the "grades" for the players Id think you can justify the ranking. On an individual talent basis the Jets have been pretty awful.  The linebackers are flat out terrible. The defensive line has played below average. The corners arent particularly good and seemed to get called for a bunch of penalties. The safeties have been ok. Other teams may have a bright spot or two in a roster of junk and that will change their rankings. Im not sure there is any stat that shows the Jets even being remotely efficient except that they seem to be holding teams down in terms of points. Whats odd is that its not touchdowns but field goals that have really made the difference. I dont know if its kickers missing or teams opting for 4th down shots or whatever but the Jets dont have many field goals against. Jets are also getting ok field position which maybe helps too. 

8 minutes ago, jason423 said:

Unless they have changed the way they do their defensive ranks which is just adding the "grades" for the players Id think you can justify the ranking. On an individual talent basis the Jets have been pretty awful.  The linebackers are flat out terrible. The defensive line has played below average. The corners arent particularly good and seemed to get called for a bunch of penalties. The safeties have been ok. Other teams may have a bright spot or two in a roster of junk and that will change their rankings. Im not sure there is any stat that shows the Jets even being remotely efficient except that they seem to be holding teams down in terms of points. Whats odd is that its not touchdowns but field goals that have really made the difference. I dont know if its kickers missing or teams opting for 4th down shots or whatever but the Jets dont have many field goals against. Jets are also getting ok field position which maybe helps too. 

Seems like they are just averaging the grades for the defensive players which is a bad way to measure a defense.

I much prefer Football Outsiders' DVOA as well as drive stats.  These have Jets as a average/bad defense, but not worst in the league.  Which seems about right.  Ranked 23 in DVOA (21 vs pass, 25 vs rush).  https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef

In most drive stats, Jets are in the middle half.  Rank high in INT and not allowing FG,  rank poorly in TD/FG ratio - give up a lot more TD than FG.  https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef  All in all, an average/bad defense.  23 in yards per drive, 15 in points per drive.  

Bowles should be fired for having the lowest ranked defensive players, and awarded coach of the year for making those lowest ranked defensive players the 23rd best defense.

Archived