" Jets GM is one move away from greatness or utter failure ".. ? ? ?

kelly

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what should happen and would have happened in the old NFL:

• Nothing would make the NFL happier if Darnold and Rosen played in NY.
  • Ok, maybe LAC works too.
  • Darnold and Rosen and their parents should call Goodell and tell them that they are not playing for the Cleveland Browns dumpster fire.
  • Goodell can mediate how many draft picks the Jets need to dump on the Browns and/or They can have Leo, Mo, Adams.
  • The Jets use their cap room on the rest of the offense, and draft defense when they can.
  • The Browns can take Rudolph, Falk, Allen and work with Kizer and use their draft picks to put together the rest of the team.

Just fantasizing, maybe.

On November 17, 2017 at 8:38 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Sure you did. Everyone believes you.

As to the article, since you didn’t write it I did indeed read it; particularly the parts you bolded that don’t at all prove (or indicate) anything you comically claim.

If you seriously believe the main push behind drafting Hackenberg in round 2 came from Todd Bowles, you should realize you are the only person on this planet who believes so. There may be more people on your home planet who believe this, but that’s something different.

Why would I rep that one post and not others? You even suck at psychology.

Never once did I say anywhere that Hackenberg was mainly Bowles' doing or he gave "the main push." If you only knew how to read. My point was, and still is, they were all in on it together, not a one-man show by Maccagnan as you foolishly believe. The claims I actually did make were confirmed by the story, so you’re wrong there too. Your reading comprehension is seriously flawed. And, of course, the Edison analogy sailed over your head ... lol 

Lastly, you keep referring to what other people think. Do you actually go thru life like that?

On 11/17/2017 at 3:43 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Because it's the GM, and it's his job.  The GM puts his name to every pick.  He has to weigh the scouts' opinions and the needs of the franchise.  "The buck stops here" is a useful phrase to reference here.

Pinning the blame on Bowles is absurd.  He doesn't have time to scout college players AND simultaneously coach the team.  The GM, in general, supplies the HC with the groceries.  The HC can provide input on what he needs (hence the Darron Lee pick), but the GM still has to be the one to get the talent.  

This 100%

Thank you; not only what you wrote here but the Jets have told everyone that Mac makes the picks and Bowles coaches them over and over but folks insist on making up a fairy tale that Bowles is somehow controlling the GM!

But for those pushing this narrative, if it were true, then it should alone mean that the GM should be immediately fired because he is a puppet.  

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Once again, the media disparity is here. Media thinks Macc is an ok GM, not great. Fans here hate him. WHy the disparity? And who should I trust, the people getting paid for this or the people who aren't?

The people at 42 degrees West & 72 degrees North say Brady doesn't cheat .... The rest of the world knows he's a sack of ... And full of ... $h*t .... Who should I trust?  The people taking payments off the books or those that aren't?

On 11/17/2017 at 3:11 PM, jetrider said:

Again, how is Hackenberg pinned on Macc? The GM, HC, scouts and staff put many hours, days, weeks, and months into ranking players and assembling the team's official top secret draft board. The one person in the room with the most playing/coaching experience and team vision is Bowles. It makes most sense, IMO, to blame him over others, but somehow the office geek money manager gets all the blame as if Hack was his personal choice. In the 2016 draft Jets weren't looking for a starting QB. Ten game winner Fitzpatrick with 31 TDs was the projected starter. Hackenberg was nothing more than an innocent bystander BPA victim at #51 on the Jets team board. Those are facts. 

Mac went to Happy Valley for a private workout and fell in love - we can agree that the scout who arranged that workout should be fired but every story about the pick has Mac all over it

We can also agree that the HC, scouts and staff should be on the hook if hack really was BPA at 51 since he was one of the worst QB's that I have ever seen play vs the Buckeyes,  measureables, smeasurables..  the kid was bad and not sure how anyone thinks he will get better in the NFL

17 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Mac went to Happy Valley for a private workout and fell in love - we can agree that the scout who arranged that workout should be fired but every story about the pick has Mac all over it

We can also agree that the HC, scouts and staff should be on the hook if hack really was BPA at 51 since he was one of the worst QB's that I have ever seen play vs the Buckeyes,  measureables, smeasurables..  the kid was bad and not sure how anyone thinks he will get better in the NFL

Any links? Sperm sure couldn't find any.

Happy Valley is the brewery/restaurant they (Bowles included) ate at after the workout. The story is posted.

49 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Happy Valley is the brewery/restaurant they (Bowles included) ate at after the workout. The story is posted.

I am one to have my hunches as to where picks come from-they are generally not verifiable, just hunches.

I have recollection of a variety of articles, including on from SI, that discuss how Macc fell in love with Hack.  It is what he is.  Elway won a Super Bowl and took Lynch, who could be as bad or worse.  Mac thought he could ride Fitz and have Hack learn under him-it did not work.

But my gut tells me that Bowles does not know enough about offense to have pushed for this, and Woody was not involved either.  I think Woody may have actively supported the Sanchez pick, given need for PSLs sales and his photogenic nature.  

I think Mac and Bowles drove the Williams pick as the ultimate safe pick.  I think Bowles pushed with Mac's support Adams and Lee.  I think the other picks, good or bad, were mostly Mac's.

I think Mac needs help with his drafting.  My prediction is that the teams ahead of us realize that QBs are where the value is, and they either pick them or trade the pick.  The Jets will be left with a top EDGE, RB or CB.

For those who think that Mac should have traded up for Wentz (from 20), that was not happening, particularly for a team that wanted picks to fill holes to mistakenly compete in 2016.  The price for the Jets to trade up will be steep.  Don't see them doing it for Allen.  Mayfield is the wild card.  

20 hours ago, jetrider said:

Why would I rep that one post and not others? You even suck at psychology.

Never once did I say anywhere that Hackenberg was mainly Bowles' doing or he gave "the main push." If you only knew how to read. My point was, and still is, they were all in on it together, not a one-man show by Maccagnan as you foolishly believe. The claims I actually did make were confirmed by the story, so you’re wrong there too. Your reading comprehension is seriously flawed. And, of course, the Edison analogy sailed over your head ... lol 

Lastly, you keep referring to what other people think. Do you actually go thru life like that?

hahahahahahahaha

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

FWIW, former personnel guy Greg Gabriel tweeted that a very successful current HC is looking to “move on” from his current team, which IMO,is either Sean Payton or John Harbaugh. How hard would you throw Bowles over the railing for John Harbaugh?

Both those coaches are under contract  past next season , so I am not sure how they will "move on" after this season.

Once again, the media disparity is here. Media thinks Macc is an ok GM, not great. Fans here hate him. WHy the disparity? And who should I trust, the people getting paid for this or the people who aren't?
Mac is an excellent GM ... Problem solved.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Both those coaches are under contract  past next season , so I am not sure how they will "move on" after this season.

Just had the disgusting thought that the relatively successful coach most likely to hate his job is Jason Garrett, which made me throw up in my mouth 

19 hours ago, jetrider said:

General manager Mike Maccagnan, head coach Todd Bowles, offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo, and two scouts drove to State College to conduct the workout at Penn State’s indoor football facility.

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/06/themmqb-christian-hackenberg-new-york-jets-quarterback-private-workout-nfl-draft-2016

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/happened-day-jets-drafted-christian-hackenberg-article-1.3450117

Pennsylvania State University (Penn State or PSU) is located in State College. Though "Happy Valley" is another often-used term to refer to the State College area, the term also includes the borough and the townships of College, Harris, Patton, and Ferguson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_College,_Pennsylvania

On 11/18/2017 at 10:11 PM, Charlie Brown said:

This 100%

Thank you; not only what you wrote here but the Jets have told everyone that Mac makes the picks and Bowles coaches them over and over but folks insist on making up a fairy tale that Bowles is somehow controlling the GM!

But for those pushing this narrative, if it were true, then it should alone mean that the GM should be immediately fired because he is a puppet.  

It's the same thing people debated when Rex and Tannenbaum were paired together.  No one had any clue who the actual boss was. 

On November 19, 2017 at 10:35 AM, varjet said:

I am one to have my hunches as to where picks come from-they are generally not verifiable, just hunches.

I have recollection of a variety of articles, including on from SI, that discuss how Macc fell in love with Hack.  It is what he is.  Elway won a Super Bowl and took Lynch, who could be as bad or worse.  Mac thought he could ride Fitz and have Hack learn under him-it did not work.

But my gut tells me that Bowles does not know enough about offense to have pushed for this, and Woody was not involved either.  I think Woody may have actively supported the Sanchez pick, given need for PSLs sales and his photogenic nature.  

I think Mac and Bowles drove the Williams pick as the ultimate safe pick.  I think Bowles pushed with Mac's support Adams and Lee.  I think the other picks, good or bad, were mostly Mac's.

I think Mac needs help with his drafting.  My prediction is that the teams ahead of us realize that QBs are where the value is, and they either pick them or trade the pick.  The Jets will be left with a top EDGE, RB or CB.

For those who think that Mac should have traded up for Wentz (from 20), that was not happening, particularly for a team that wanted picks to fill holes to mistakenly compete in 2016.  The price for the Jets to trade up will be steep.  Don't see them doing it for Allen.  Mayfield is the wild card.  

I posted the SI story on page 2 of this thread ... which you and Ohio State didn't bother to read.

I agree Bowles didn't "push" for Hackenberg. He pushes for defensive guys, loves safeties. I said that countless times.

Never implied he pushed for Hack any more than approving the pick. 

That was misinterpretation butchery by Sperm Rewards ... his own expertise.

My point is Bowles is the guy with the most playing and coaching experience. He is the HC.

The team is his plan, his vision. He is personally tied to their weekly performance. 

Of all people involved, Bowles is in the best position to say "Yes, I want that player" or "No, he doesn't fit my plan." 

By job description, Macc can only listen to and trust what the HC tells him. They work together but Macc is just the triggerman.

If I'm gonna point fingers I'd start with the guy whose plan and vision they are building around. The HC. Todd Bowles. 

Like I said, misguided fans expect too much from a GM and too little from a HC.

Belichick is living proof that great coaching can overcome bad general managing.

If we need a new GM that would be the next step, not the first step. 

On November 20, 2017 at 6:22 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

It's the same thing people debated when Rex and Tannenbaum were paired together.  No one had any clue who the actual boss was. 

Because maybe the answer isn't who you want it to be. 

Tannenbaum joined the Jets FO in ’97. On his 10th year he became GM in ’06. On his fourth year as GM, he and Woody hired Rex in ’09 after interviewing five others (Schottenheimer, Callahan, Grimm, Meeks, and Jagodzinski).

Tanny, a fourth year GM and a rookie HC Rex Ryan. Who do you think had more power? 

“Accepting the offer on January 19, 2009, Ryan immediately began to carry out a plan of action that he had outlined for the franchise's futureHe planned to remove the players from distractions on and off the field and allow them get to know one another to build team chemistry. Thus, training camp was moved to the campus of SUNY Cortland, where the team would be relatively secluded from the media and any other distractions.Ryan and general manager Mike Tannenbaum were also determined to draft a quarterback who could lead and be the face of the franchise.”

Sounds to me that they worked together to make Rex's master plan happen. 

In that sense, the HC had control and steered the GM. It was his plan.

Fast forward to 2015.

On Jan 13, Woody hired Maccagnan - a rookie GM, and the following day hired Bowles - a rookie HC.

A rookie GM and a rookie HC. Who do you think had or has more power? 

Another part of Bowles’ messaging occurred just before training camp began. He gathered everyone who works for the Jets, from vice presidents on down, to watch a video that outlines his vision and says, “The team is the star.” He then spoke to them and handed out T-shirts that have J-E-T-S on the back with read-outs, “Joint Effort Through Sacrifice.”

Bowles also has messages on TV screens throughout the building change every few days to let the team know what kind of mood Bowles is in or “where I think the team is mentally.”

Todd Bowles’ video, Todd Bowles’ message, Todd Bowles’ vision. Again, the GM follows the HC’s plan.

Anyone with half a brain can see they work together to make Bowles’ vision real and report to WJ the way Woody and Macc originally explained it. 

It’s you and Charlie Brown who see only rainbows, unicorns, and magic fairy dust.

Archived