7 teams will draft a QB - who will we get?

BigO

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Huh ? Why did you leave off bears and 49ers? Don’t say jimmy G ?. 

Bears have Trubisky they are not drafting s QB. And can’t see 49ers giving up a 2 and not keeping Garapolo. If they do go QB I’d take Jimmy G in a heartbeat. Give them our #1. We’d have our QB for the next 10 years. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, BigO said:

Maybe - maybe not. Fact is we need a QB desperately and will not be picking top 5 - maybe 10 if we lucky. I don’t think it’s wise to get a FA QB at this point as this team has major holes and it would be a waste of money.  Denver and Jags would be great fit for Cousins. Good point. 

We desperately need a qb. But we refuse to do the desperate thing and lose on purpose to get a top rated qb. We won’t be picking a qb in 1st round now. Maybe 2nd round we will take a chance, again ha

1 minute ago, BigO said:

Bears have Trubisky they are not drafting s QB. And can’t see 49ers giving up a 2 and not keeping Garapolo. If they do go QB I’d take Jimmy G in a heartbeat. Give them our #1. We’d have our QB for the next 10 years. 

Trubisky hasn’t looked good. To be fair the bears receivers are hideous but he has looked like a glorified Blake Bortles so I wouldn’t blame the bears for drafting a qb 

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We desperately need a qb. But we refuse to do the desperate thing and lose on purpose to get a top rated qb. We won’t be picking a qb in 1st round now. Maybe 2nd round we will take a chance, again ha

5-7 baby! 

1 minute ago, BigO said:

They aren’t going to just pass our 2 of the best rated qbs coming out since luck. If 9ers go 3 and Rosen and darnold are already gone then maybe. If not they will def draft 1 of them or ask for Kings ransom to trade up. If they draft 1 they will wait a yr to see, then trade jimmy 

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Trubisky hasn’t looked good. To be fair the bears receivers are hideous but he has looked like a glorified Blake Bortles so I wouldn’t blame the bears for drafting a qb 

Absurd. Never happen. You don’t give up on a QB after 1 year especially when taking him at #2. 

26 minutes ago, BigO said:

Would we really though? Why are people that set on Jimmy G being that good. The systems are different. His job is different. The weapons are different. What’s being asked of him is now different. He beat the bears  by one point ..let’s just wait and review these last four games before we appoint him one of the few good young QB’s the league actually has.

13 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I think this option is so in the cards.  Mahomes and Watson went 10 and 12 last year.  Mahomes was a physical specimen and Watson won a national championship.  These other guys do not check those boxes and are more in the last first round category.  Mac will not leave a much mor highly rated player on the table.  Its not just Mac-plenty of teams passed on Trubisky/Mahomes/Watson last year, not just the Jets (include the teams that traded their picks).

The second round is just a more Jetsy way to find a QB (Clemens, Geno, Hack).

Quite frankly, the better strategy should be for Mac to trade down into the first round and then pick a QB from the ranks of who is left (Falk, Rudolph, Stidham.

But from what we hear, Mac travels to watch Darnold and Rosen play.  What is up with that when he spends so much time trying to salvage wins this year-we are are not drafting high enough to take them.

10 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

They aren’t going to just pass our 2 of the best rated qbs coming out since luck. If 9ers go 3 and Rosen and darnold are already gone then maybe. If not they will def draft 1 of them or ask for Kings ransom to trade up. If they draft 1 they will wait a yr to see, then trade jimmy 

People talk about immy being in the bag in SF.  He is not under contract.  

And why would someone trade a first round pick for him only to have to give him a big contract or franchise him.   The latter is not how you build a team.  SF gave a second round pick to have him under contract 1/2 a season and then have the right to franchise him.  Someone is supposed to pay a first without even that?  That could be a Jetsy thing to do.

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

But from what we hear, Mac travels to watch Darnold and Rosen play.  What is up with that when he spends so much time trying to salvage wins this year-we are are not drafting high enough to take them.

I'm not sure signing McCown was his attempt to salvage wins haha the last 3 teams McCown has played for, their picks turned into Winston, Wentz, and Garrett. :D

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm not sure signing McCown was his attempt to salvage wins haha the last 3 teams McCown has played for, their picks turned into Winston, Wentz, and Garrett. :D

Lol right. We just got unlucky and McCown balled out for the first time in his life LOL. Injury prone and 2-22 in his starting career but as soon as he gets to NY he goes 18-8 and doesnt do as much as pull a muscle this season. Gotta love it.?

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think this option is so in the cards.  Mahomes and Watson went 10 and 12 last year.  Mahomes was a physical specimen and Watson won a national championship.  These other guys do not check those boxes and are more in the last first round category.  Mac will not leave a much mor highly rated player on the table.  Its not just Mac-plenty of teams passed on Trubisky/Mahomes/Watson last year, not just the Jets (include the teams that traded their picks).

The second round is just a more Jetsy way to find a QB (Clemens, Geno, Hack).

Quite frankly, the better strategy should be for Mac to trade down into the first round and then pick a QB from the ranks of who is left (Falk, Rudolph, Stidham.

People talk about immy being in the bag in SF.  He is not under contract.  

And why would someone trade a first round pick for him only to have to give him a big contract or franchise him.   The latter is not how you build a team.  SF gave a second round pick to have him under contract 1/2 a season and then have the right to franchise him.  Someone is supposed to pay a first without even that?  That could be a Jetsy thing to do.

So you are going to bet Mac can find a diamond qb a lot passed over ? Didn’t we just try that ?

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

From the notes/hype (im reluctant to use the word hype, but anyway) Ive read scouts think his skill set and demeanor offer too much upside to pass on him in round 1.

We have been down this road with Hackenberg going in the second (I dont believe for a second he would have lasted until the 4th round like some have said) even though his stats put him way below that.  

If you look at some of what Allen did last year, as opposed to this year, there is enough there that some team will take him prior to the end of round 1.  Personally I pray Mac has learned from the Hack mistake that you just cant teach accuracy, and goes with a QB who has the accuracy, makeup, competitiveness and ability to be a day 1 starter like Mayfield.

I don't think you're necessary wrong, I just believe with all the options this year, that teams will hopefully feel less compelled to reach. I think a hard look at '16 will not show Allen looked any different than he did this year in '17 (his accuracy didn't change). I think a closer look will reveal it was his team that carried him, not the other way around.

I don't hate Allen, i really don't. I just have hard time with him being billed as anything more than mid-round project.

19 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Ehh, i'll take Cousins, and watch my team grow into one of the better teams in the AFC.

I like Rosen and Darnold, but if they aren't on the table. Give me Kirk or Mayfield.

Skins will franchise cousins 1 more time. He will give in and sign with them. Let’s hope mayfield falls to us. Unless bills pick him right in front of us?

56 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Ehh, i'll take Cousins, and watch my team grow into one of the better teams in the AFC.

I like Rosen and Darnold, but if they aren't on the table. Give me Kirk or Mayfield.

Funny cuz the Redskins aren’t one of the better NFC teams with God-boy Cousins

15 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Funny cuz the Redskins aren’t one of the better NFC teams with God-boy Cousins

They have the same 5-7 record with Cousins that we have with a journeyman at QB.  "But hey, we all know big-name, high-price-tag free agents always work out in the NFL"

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

They have the same 5-7 record with Cousins that we have with a journeyman at QB.  "But hey, we all know big-name, high-price-tag free agents always work out in the NFL"

lol because teams are exactly the same, just with different QBs. 

6 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

lol because teams are exactly the same, just with different QBs. 

The really good QBs (worthy of the kind of contract Cousins is going to want) do make all the difference. 

I've said this on this forum before but I'll say it again:

With Aaron Rodgers, the Packers are a legit Superbowl contender

Without Aaron Rodgers, the Packers are an under .500 team.

He got injured in their 6th game.  We'll count the loss for Rodgers.  That means they were 4-2 with him.  Since then, they're 2-4.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers

image.png

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The really good QBs (worthy of the kind of contract Cousins is going to want) do make all the difference. 

I've said this on this forum before but I'll say it again:

With Aaron Rodgers, the Packers are a legit Superbowl contender

Without Aaron Rodgers, the Packers are an under .500 team.

He got injured in their 6th game.  We'll count the loss for Rodgers.  That means they were 4-2 with him.  Since then, they're 2-4.

Thanks for informing me Rodgers is a good QB. I didn't need a chart to realize that. 

Any above average QB is getting a big contract. They're in high demand. Just how it works. Does Stafford deserve to be the top paid QB in the league? Just because he'll cost a ton doesn't mean you find reasons why he's not at Brady's level. 

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Thanks for informing me Rodgers is a good QB. I didn't need a chart to realize that. 

Any above average QB is getting a big contract. They're in high demand. Just how it works. Does Stafford deserve to be the top paid QB in the league? Just because he'll cost a ton doesn't mean you find reasons why he's not at Brady's level. 

So you just want to overpay Cousins because he's (potentially) available?  I look at him and see a guy that might get us 9-10 wins and a 1st rounder ouster.  Then in a couple of years, he'll be a huge cap liability that we'll regret having signed.  So no I don't want him here at the price tag (and # of years) that I expect he's going to demand.

Tyrod Taylor will almost certainly be available as well.  Realistic options for us at QB:

Alex Smith (our most likely option)

Kirk Cousins (on an extremely bloated contract)

Sam Bradford (next stop on the journeyman express)

Mike Glennon (at least a couple of people on this forum would be happy)

Tyrod Taylor (the Bills have a ton of resources to trade up for a young QB.  We can try to recycle their trash)

Josh McCown (would make a great backup QB but will want to be a starter after this year)

Trevor Simian (Jets showed interest at one point.  Maybe the Broncos will want to trade him)

Case Keenum (unlikely the Vikings won't re-sign him)

Eli Manning (though I can't see the Giants trading him to us)

Blake Bortles (though why would we want him)

CJ Beathard (not sure his status but I'm sure the job is Jimmy G's next year)

AJ McCarron (the never-was)

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So you just want to overpay Cousins because he's (potentially) available?  I look at him and see a guy that might get us 9-10 wins and a 1st rounder ouster.  Then in a couple of years, he'll be a huge cap liability that we'll regret having signed.  So no I don't want him here at the price tag (and # of years) that I expect he's going to demand.

I don't want them to overpay for anyone. But that's not realistic now is it. Point is that he's a pretty good QB and will get paid as so. I'd rather pay a big contract for Cousins if we're not gonna draft one and not worry about the QB spot for the next 5 years or so then to sign....well literally any body else. 

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I don't want them to overpay for anyone. But that's not realistic now is it. Point is that he's a pretty good QB and will get paid as so. I'd rather pay a big contract for Cousins if we're not gonna draft one and not worry about the QB spot for the next 5 years or so then to sign....well literally any body else. 

He's a pretty good QB who will be paid as if he's the best in the NFL.  And it's highly doubtful we "[won't have to] worry about the QB spot for the next 5 years or so". 

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He's a pretty good QB who will be paid as if he's the best in the NFL.  And it's highly doubtful we "[won't have to] worry about the QB spot for the next 5 years or so". 

Any QB that gets a new contract becomes the highest paid player in history. Does that make them the best. No. Just the way this stupid system works. 

Archived