7 teams will draft a QB - who will we get?

BigO

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Eli goes to Jacksonville

Cousins stays in DC

Browns draft a QB (Darnold/Rosen) at #1

Giants draft a QB (Rosen/Darnold) at #2

San Francisco resigns Garoppolo (pick #3) and retains Bethard as the #2, drafts supporting player.

Denver Broncos could draft a QB at pick #4.  Who?  No idea, Allen, Mayfield, Rudolph, Jackson, Finlay, Falk all available)

Indianapolis Colts are unlikely to draft a QB at pick #5 (Luck)

Chicago Bears are unlikely to draft a QB at pick #6 (Trubisky)

Houston Texans are unlikely to draft a QB at pick #7 (Watson)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers are unlikely to draft a QB at pick #8 (Winston)

Arizona Cardinals are possible to draft a QB at pick #9 (Gabbart is the #1 right now).

New York Jets at pick 10 could be looking at Darnold, Rosen, Rudolph and Jackson all being of the board.  Rudolph getting hyped now, with a number of sites now ranking THEM #1 and #2 over both Darnold and Allen.

I'm sorry, I have to inquire - was this on planet earth? 

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Realisticly, there is no chance the Jets can trade up further than pick #5.  And it would take multiple #1 picks to get there from #10 or lower.

And we're going to win another game, not sure which one, but I bet we win one more and finish 6-10, picking ~14.

We're getting the 5th "best" rated-by-eggheads QB if we go QB.  That QB might just be Baker Mayfield, or it might not.

It will not be Darnold, Rosen, Jackson or Rudolph, based on today's QB-hype-of-the-moment.  No point worrying till it plays itself out tbqh.

And what's wrong with that? If they can do it, then do it. 

Rams went up from 15th spot to number 1 for Goff. Gave up: first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016), a third-round pick (2016), a first-round pick (2017) and another third-round pick (2017). 

Easy peasy. Mail that in right now. 

2 hours ago, BigO said:

Number of teams lack a future QB and the odds are high they will more than likely draft one.  From top to bottom - Browns, Giants, Denver, Jets, Cards, Redskins, Bills.  I think we’ll be in the 10-15 draft spot and can draft the 4th QB prospect unless we of course move up or get jumped by another team.  For arguments sake let’s say we take the 4th best QB off the board. Who would you like and why. My pick Mayfield since Rosen, Darnold go first 2 QB’s and Elway may pull trigger on Allen. Just seems like a natural fit. That leaves Mayfield or Jackson. 

We have our QB. Anyone we get is a waste since they'll never see the field. 

2 hours ago, BigO said:

Number of teams lack a future QB and the odds are high they will more than likely draft one.  From top to bottom - Browns, Giants, Denver, Jets, Cards, Redskins, Bills.  I think we’ll be in the 10-15 draft spot and can draft the 4th QB prospect unless we of course move up or get jumped by another team.  For arguments sake let’s say we take the 4th best QB off the board. Who would you like and why. My pick Mayfield since Rosen, Darnold go first 2 QB’s and Elway may pull trigger on Allen. Just seems like a natural fit. That leaves Mayfield or Jackson. 

Alex Smith will be our QB next year.

Another possible QB to impact the list of teams is Smith where after the way he has fallen off somewhat, Chiefs may just hand the reins over to Mahommes(sp?) and move on from Smith. That puts him on one of those other teams either via trade or by waiver. He could end up with Jags, Washington, or even the Giants if they don't want to fully rebuild. Heck, even Arizona may want him if they don't want to rebuild. In any event, Smith is another QB in play to possibly make more QBs available in the draft for the Jets. The issue is this year is that now the blueprint provided i.e Goff, Wentz, etc. is that many teams may trade a lot to get up higher and invest in a QB even with using up multipel draft picks since those teams got big jumps in success doing that. Only thing is those are QBs at the top 1 and 2 picks, and there is not even a sure thing in this draft to be as good as them. Darnold and Rosen may not be thier equals.   

2 hours ago, BigO said:

Like where? Arena Football 

like there will be a number of qb's on the market who may be able to perform pretty well.  in some respects it's amazing the jets have been able to do so well with old and moldy qb's.  fitzy never latched on anywhere and mccown came sporting a 2-22 record. there's something to be said for getting a 4th year free agent like mccarron who has some good game experience.  and there are always trading opportunity in the draft and for players.

If we don’t sign Cousins and are going into the draft with McCown, Petty, Hack then we need to make out with 1 of Rosen, Darnold, Jackson or Mayfield. Mayfield is my choice since he’ll probably fall the furthest of those 4. Also possible that someone falls in love with Allen and he goes before the two non-“prototypical” guys. That being said, if we take Allen, I will lose my sh*t because that guy sucks.

You know, if Mac wants to take his preferential safe move on a QB, like BradwayJoe1 said, Mccarron should be a FA and hopefully wouldn't break the bank. If that were to occur you would most likely move on from McCown and maybe trade Petty since he has some interested teams that probably would throw a 5th or 6th rounder for him. Then still draft a QB in round 1 or 2 this year so that either him or Maccaron is the guy. We can keep Hack as the 3rd QB if he ever develops into something. We would then still have a few high draft picks at the top of the draft to build the areas of the O needed at Oline, RB, etc. We probably can then use the rest of the draft for other areas to maybe replace Mo, get more LB/CB depth, etc. This plan is safer then trading a boat load of picks to go up like 10 spots in the draft for a QB that may not pan out.

2 hours ago, Miodusb said:

4th best might end up being the best. Mayfield is this years Watson IMO. I love the mayfield pick. Needs to improve footwork but so does everyone coming out. He doesn’t have a canon but can make the throws. Very accurate in short yards and on the run. His moxy will spark our offense similar to how Adams did to our defense. 

On the one hand, I’d like to see the Jets draft Mayfield, but on the other hand, he comes with 100 built-in excuses for Todd Bowles to bury him on the bench forever. 

11 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

You know, if Mac wants to take his preferential safe move on a QB, like BradwayJoe1 said, Mccarron should be a FA and hopefully wouldn't break the bank. 

I have two problems here--

1 - Why do you think McCarron is Safe? What has he done to show you or us that he's anything more than a JAG?... how is safe if McCarron sucks and we pass on all the QBs. 

2 - Our GM (god bless his heart) will be fired 100% by JANUARY of 2019 if he hasn't found a Quarterback. Safe move? It's hail mary time. He's gonna shoot for the stars one way or another

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

And what's wrong with that? If they can do it, then do it. 

Rams went up from 15th spot to number 1 for Goff. Gave up: first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016), a third-round pick (2016), a first-round pick (2017) and another third-round pick (2017). 

Easy peasy. Mail that in right now. 

It's a different price depending on the year.  For Darnold, you can add in a couple more 1st rounders.  Keep in mind we would be competing with other teams who want him so that also adds to the price.   The Giants might pick #2 overall.  The Bills have 2 #1's, 2 #2's and 2 #3's and clearly they're not fond of Tyrod.  The Broncos could make a big move.  Cleveland probably wants their pick too btw.

This is going to be one heck of an expensive year to trade up to the top.  And it's also going to be extremely expensive (in terms of years and dollars) to sign Cousins.  You should probably prepare to end up with Alex Smith, as it's our most realistic option.  Or Sam Bradford.

But hey, we beat Cleveland!

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

QBs aside, those are some painfully bad rankings.

And the QB rankings are pretty bad in their own right.

This site must have gotten “Jets Insider’d.”  None of the writers/scouts that have been on that site for years are still there.  The one guy whose left is new and by the looks of it, lives in his basement, doesn’t watch CFB, and barely updates the web site.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

On the one hand, I’d like to see the Jets draft Mayfield, but on the other hand, he comes with 100 built-in excuses for Todd Bowles to bury him on the bench forever. 

#1 reason he’d be benched- Baker prefers spaghetti and meatballs over Bubba Shrimp. 

Best case scenario but I just don’t see it happening. Could Browns will get shut out AGAIN with Rosen and Darnold refusing to sign there?  They trade with Giants who take Rosen at 1.  49ers take BPA at 2. Denver trades with Browns and takes Darnold at 3.  ? we fall back to 10-15. Jets Cards Bills Skins - if Cousins departs- are all in need of a QB. Mayfield is considerably out of reach. We would have to move up to get Mayfield.

15 hours ago, Paradis said:

Why? I disagree.

From the notes/hype (im reluctant to use the word hype, but anyway) Ive read scouts think his skill set and demeanor offer too much upside to pass on him in round 1.

We have been down this road with Hackenberg going in the second (I dont believe for a second he would have lasted until the 4th round like some have said) even though his stats put him way below that.  

If you look at some of what Allen did last year, as opposed to this year, there is enough there that some team will take him prior to the end of round 1.  Personally I pray Mac has learned from the Hack mistake that you just cant teach accuracy, and goes with a QB who has the accuracy, makeup, competitiveness and ability to be a day 1 starter like Mayfield.

17 hours ago, BigO said:

Huh ? Why did you leave off bears and 49ers? Don’t say jimmy G ?. McCown will be our qb next 2 yrs we are too far down now to have a quick replacement. 

Archived