Projected 2018 NFL draft order: Two top-five picks for the Browns?

TuscanyTile2

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Says who?  You?  The only opinion that matters is that of Mr. Johnson.

They could, yes.  

They don't, no.

Says who?  You?  

Lets be clear, the ongoing Jet Fan fantasy that we're in the running for the top 2 (presuming they STAY the top 2) prospects, Darnold and Rosen, and just annoying at this point.  Lets at least TRY and live in the real world once in a while, eh?  The Jets will not trade up to the #1 or #2 picks, even if they were available, which they will not be.

Beyond that, Macc may not have any interest in Mayfield at #9, much less at the price of three #1 picks to get up to pick #3.  sh*t, I really like Mayfield, and I wouldn't trade half a decade of talent in picks for him either.  

The Dan Snyder school of football.  Just be aware, that's a hell of an investment to make on a 10-20% chance of success, if that.  It fails, we are damned to talent deficiencies and weak QB play for the next five years.  Me, I don't sell the farm for anyone in this class, they're not worth it.

But I can sit at pick #8/9/10 and I'm confident Mayfield, or Rudolph, or Allen or Jackson will be available.  I get the QB, and I get to keep both my #2 picks to start building around him, and I get to keep my 2019 #1 and 2020 #1 to ensure future opportunies at QB (if needed) or for elite level O-line or other help as needed.

Too many Jets Fans allow history to dictate the now.  It's a loser mentality that leads to support for bad, risky decisions and short term satisfaction over long term team building.  Winners are not built selling your whole draft and drafts to come for one QB.  Certainly not the possible QB's in the draft class.

Yea says me so what’s it to ya fishy fishy  ? ? 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Says who?  You?  The only opinion that matters is that of Mr. Johnson.

They could, yes.  

They don't, no.

Says who?  You?  

Lets be clear, the ongoing Jet Fan fantasy that we're in the running for the top 2 (presuming they STAY the top 2) prospects, Darnold and Rosen, and just annoying at this point.  Lets at least TRY and live in the real world once in a while, eh?  The Jets will not trade up to the #1 or #2 picks, even if they were available, which they will not be.

Beyond that, Macc may not have any interest in Mayfield at #9, much less at the price of three #1 picks to get up to pick #3.  sh*t, I really like Mayfield, and I wouldn't trade half a decade of talent in picks for him either.  

The Dan Snyder school of football.  Just be aware, that's a hell of an investment to make on a 10-20% chance of success, if that.  It fails, we are damned to talent deficiencies and weak QB play for the next five years.  Me, I don't sell the farm for anyone in this class, they're not worth it.

But I can sit at pick #8/9/10 and I'm confident Mayfield, or Rudolph, or Allen or Jackson will be available.  I get the QB, and I get to keep both my #2 picks to start building around him, and I get to keep my 2019 #1 and 2020 #1 to ensure future opportunies at QB (if needed) or for elite level O-line or other help as needed.

Too many Jets Fans allow history to dictate the now.  It's a loser mentality that leads to support for bad, risky decisions and short term satisfaction over long term team building.  Winners are not built selling your whole draft and drafts to come for one QB.  Certainly not the possible QB's in the draft class.

I tend to agree with your thought process BUT so many teams often reach when in need of a QB and Mac has his back up vs. the wall. He’s Going into his 4th year and he MUST get a QB. It would be disastrous if he didn’t. Many on here consider only Rosen, Darnold and Baker as the only options and No way Baker lasts until 9. 

1 hour ago, BigO said:

I tend to agree with your thought process BUT so many teams often reach when in need of a QB and Mac has his back up vs. the wall. He’s Going into his 4th year and he MUST get a QB. It would be disastrous if he didn’t. Many on here consider only Rosen, Darnold and Baker as the only options and No way Baker lasts until 9. 

If Macc has proven anything in his tenure as GM....it's that he dances to the tune of a different drummer than fans do.

Few of us would have taken Hackenberg.  Or Drafted back to back #1/#2 Safeties passing on Watson and every other QB.

My biggest fear?  Macc skips QB completely, and still thinks Hack + Some Vet is the best way to go at the position.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I think a lot of GM’s see Mayfield’s red flags (spread offense, off the field issues) and aren’t riding the espn hype train

I think Luck is done with Indy and he, not Cousins, ends up dictating the market

Do you think Luck is done playing football or is just done in Indy? And if you think he's done in Indy do you think they trade him or designate him a June 1st cut? If he's on the roster the 5th day of the new season he's guaranteed $16M.

What do you think the Colts could get for him in a trade? 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

If Macc has proven anything in his tenure as GM....it's that he dances to the tune of a different drummer than fans do.

Few of us would have taken Hackenberg.  Or Drafted back to back #1/#2 Safeties passing on Watson and every other QB.

My biggest fear?  Macc skips QB completely, and still thinks Hack + Some Vet is the best way to go at the position.

Starbucks here he comes!

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Macc\Bowles can't be thinking long term at this point - they haven't sniffed the playoffs in 3 years and the team in 7 - and quite frankly there isn't a nucleus to build around - they'll have to make some sort of splash and get either of the top 2 rated QBs in the draft just to drum up fan support and to buy them time.

23 hours ago, JiF said:

I feel like this Browns team is a lot like the 1-15 Jets team back in 96.  They actually do have some good young talent.  They've just had some of the worst QB play in the league.  Kizer has a knack for doing really stupid sh*t when it matters most. 

2 OT games and 5 games decided by 3 points despite having a QB w/ 59.4 QB rating.  They might have 5 wins if they stuck with Joshy this year. 

The only meaningful difference between the Browns and Jets in 2017 is that the Browns played their Christian Hackenberg and we kept ours on the bench.

7 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The only meaningful difference between the Browns and Jets in 2017 is that the Browns played their Christian Hackenberg and we kept ours on the bench.

And the only meaningful difference between both franchises is Joe Namath.

On 12/18/2017 at 8:54 AM, Warfish said:

1. Cleveland will draft a QB (say, Darnold).

2. The Colts will not, but they will likely offer a trade.  The other top QB prospect goes here (say, Rosen).

3. The Giants will draft a QB, if one is available.  If top 2 are gone, they might hesitate (now that they might retain Manning).  Personally, I think they pass on a QB here, retain Manning, and keep developing their back pair of QB's.

4. San Fran will resign Garrapolo.  No QB here.

5. Cleveland will not draft two QB's in the top 5.  No QB here.

6. Chicago just drafted Trubisky.  No QB here.

7. Tampa has Winston.  No QB here.

8. Cincinnati is interesting, you would think no QB, but QB IS a possibility here.

9. The Jets.  We could be looking at every QB other than Darnold/Rosen here, or we could be looking at Darnold (Browns), Rosen (Colts pick), Allen (Cincy) all off the board.

I don't see a need to trade up tbqh.  Stand pat, save assets, pick the QB who is available at #9 (Mayfield) and use those two seconds to start rebuilding the O-line in front of him. 

You're wise old toad. So surely you must appreciate that if Mayfield is worth taking at #9, then ANY team looking to snag a QB is going to trade ahead of us.

Standing pat would be the death kneel - for us - for macc - for the Jets. Any team, i repeat any team looking at a QB will leapfrog us. no question. You can bet on it, for the for EXACT same reasons you outlined above. WE are the team to trade ahead of. It's a no brainer.  BUF with 2 1st round picks and a need for a long term QB will jump of us in a heartbeat to take a QB

Standing pat is not an option. Not even worth entertaining. We have to trade up with the Colts or risk losing everything. 

18 hours ago, peebag said:

Macc\Bowles can't be thinking long term at this point - they haven't sniffed the playoffs in 3 years and the team in 7 - and quite frankly there isn't a nucleus to build around - they'll have to make some sort of splash and get either of the top 2 rated QBs in the draft just to drum up fan support and to buy them time.

They're not getting either of the top two rated QB's.  No matter how short term they're thinking.  

The costs to do so......you want something to be unhappy about, THAT would be something to be unhappy about.

18 hours ago, gEYno said:

Except the Browns should have actually redshirted Kizer this year and given him a chance next year. They’ve botched that situation completely. The talent is there, but the coaching and playcalling is straight up dumb. 

18 hours ago, peebag said:

if mccags wants to prolong his tenure as gm, he should draft a guy like jackson and say he'll need to develop him for a few years.  then it would make no sense to fire mccags until we see what jackson becomes.  a shiny new qb gives the gm more rope.  if he drafts a DE in round 1, then an OT and cb in round 2, he's as good as gone the following year.  

what mccagnan doesn't seem to understand in new york is that evaluating talent is only one aspect of his job.  he's got to find marketable guys who can make the jets relevant again.  his boss is obsessed with how he's perceived and if he ignores qb again when the giants get darnold, woody will flip out.

Archived