Projected 2018 NFL draft order: Two top-five picks for the Browns?

TuscanyTile2

27 minutes ago, Stark said:

I like Mayfield. I hope that if he is drafted here he plays great. I just hope the plan is to not sit at 9 and hope a QB falls to us. Because if Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield are gone I don't think I could handle Josh Allen just because he is a Qb.

And yet some folks, just as smart as me or you, think Allen is far superior to Mayfield.  

This is why I'm not sweating it all.  Till these kiddies take a pro field and start throwing pro passes, it's all speculation.

I'm confident we will get a QB prospect.  I hope it's Mayfield because he actually produced in college (unlike some who are more about measurable) and because I like his passion, effort and plucky take no sh*t competitors attitude, a guy whose team will bleed for him on his say so.

But I have no idea if he'll work out.  

All I care about it that we get a top prospect, and there are several.  I'm not going to worry about which one we get till they give me cause to worry.  Life is too short to joust windmills.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Cool stuff here but I doubt Bills pass on Mayfield for Josh Allen if this were to happen

Yea I think it's a toss up at this point. It really sounds like a lot of teams are interested in Allen, it would not shock me at all if he is taken as the 3rd QB. I'm torn on if I want Mayfield to play well in the playoffs because I think then we'll need to trade up for to 3.

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Any team not taking a QB in those top 5 picks could easily trade down though.  I especially think Cleveland will trade down with their #5 pick.

Cleveland will draft a QB and it will probably be Rosen IMO. I don't think they trade out but draft either the top OL(if still there) or the top RB. You have a football guy in there now at GM and I'm pretty sure he will go offense heavy in the draft. You know they will be building that team from the ground up and they will want to start by having 2 building blocks to go forward with. You know the right way to rebuild.

With all this qb trade up talk and proclamations of unloading draft picks in droves for a franchise qb, is it not more wise to double down instead? A NEW kind of thinking??!! 

Lets say you stay put at 8 and you wind up with mayfield. Not impossible. Then, with the first pick in the second you double down and grab a guy like the clemson kid. 

Now, you double the chances of getting at least a good starting qb without losimg the farm. 

I should run a franchise..... 

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm gonna bet NFL GMs have Allen rated higher than a lot of us believe. Here's how I see it playing out:

1 - Browns (1-15) - QB - Sam Darnold 

2 - Giants (3-13) - QB - Josh Rosen - flip them if you want either way these two are going top 2.

3 - Colts (4-12) - EDGE - Bradley Chubb - Indy considers trading back after deciding to stick with Luck and Brisset but decide to stay put and arguably get the best player in the country

4 - Browns via Huston (4-12) - **TRADE** - Buffalo - QB - Josh Allen - The Bills move up to select their QB of the future. After an impressive combine Allen shoots up draft boards. Bills give up 2018 1st, 2018 1st (from Chiefs), and 2019 1st.

5 - 49ers (4-12) - RB - Saquon Barkley - They give Jimmy G a new weapon

6 - Bears (4-12) - **TRADE** - Jets - QB - Baker Mayfield - The Jets know the Broncos are picking ahead of them and the Cardinals are trying to trade up so they make the jump up to get their guy. Mayfield fell to the 4th QB taken after having shaky measurables at the combine and questions about his game transitioning to the NFL. The Bears are more than happy to recoup some draft picks to slide back a few slots. Jets give up their 2018 1st and a 2019 1st. Cardinals make the same offer but the Jets picks will be higher.

7 - Bucs (4-12) - CB - Minkah Fitzpatrick - Brent Grimes is 34, they draft his replacement.

8 - Broncos (5-11) - LT - Mike McGlinchey - The Broncos are upset that a QB didn't fall to them. Elway doesn't strike me as the guy to trade up for a players like Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson. They take a LT to protect Lynch and give him one more year to see if he has what it takes.

9 - Jets (5-11) - **TRADE** - Bears - WR - Calvin Ridley - Great trade by the Bears, they acquire more picks and they still get the WR they had their eyes on.

10 - Bengals (6-10) - G - Quenton Nelson - The middle of their OL needs work, this is an easy pick

11 - Cardinals (6-10) - QB - Lamar Jackson - The Cardinals still get a QB, not as polished as the first 4 taken but the ceiling is sky high for Jackson. Jackson can sit behind Palmer for a year and work on his mechanics before taking over next year.

2 first round picks for baker mayfield??? No way

I am hoping and praying the Jets wind up with Mayfield. I have been touting this guy since watching him beat OSU earlier in the season. He just has IT IMO. I felt the same way about Watson last year and watched them take"the leader of men" instead. Going by that I don't think Macchole will pick Mayfield even if he is there because well he's Macchole. That's why I will watch and comment like I always do but won't expect much when the commish steps up to the podium to announce the Jets draft pick.

I am also with the thinking that the Jets should not trade away their future draft picks to jump up and grab a QB. The only reason I feel that way is because its Macchole who will be doing the deal and I could really see him get fleeced so badly that it would be moot as to who he picks.

7 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

In a best case scenario IMO, the Jets will be able to trade up to get the #3 QB prospect in the 2018 draft.  They cannot swing and miss here, no matter who they pick or where they end up picking.  The problem is that I have no faith in Mac to pick the right guy.  Fingers crossed.

they'd have to trade up at least to the number 4 slot.  this assumes the dolts won't take a qb.

imo they should just use the sledgehammer approach and get it done.  what i am afraid of is that they try to finesse the pick or cross their fingers and hope one of the top prospects falls to them.  or maybe they think another 2nd rounder is the guy to get.  i think they pick a qb in the first round and then back it up by going qb again in round 5 or so.

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

With all this qb trade up talk and proclamations of unloading draft picks in droves for a franchise qb, is it not more wise to double down instead? A NEW kind of thinking??!! 

Lets say you stay put at 8 and you wind up with mayfield. Not impossible. Then, with the first pick in the second you double down and grab a guy like the clemson kid. 

Now, you double the chances of getting at least a good starting qb without losimg the farm. 

I should run a franchise..... 

I would not mind adding a young QB in FA or drafting one late in addition to a 1st round QB but there is no way I want us to us another pick on a QB until round 5. If you take 2 QBs high then the players and coaches get divided and there is not clear support from the organization. Push all the chips in on one guy and build around him.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I would be upset if we traded up for Baker Mayfield.

I kinda would too.

I like Baker, but not enough to trade up for him.

Rosen is the only one I'd 100% risk it all for. Darnold I'd entertain. But after that, absolutely not.

9 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

You can draft a QB prospect from today till tomorrow, if you do not have the coaching infrastructure to properly coach up a college QB, it does not matter who they pick, they fill fail undoubtedly.

That's why we Need to let go most of this coaching staff.

6 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm gonna bet NFL GMs have Allen rated higher than a lot of us believe. Here's how I see it playing out:

2 - Giants (3-13) - QB - Josh Rosen - flip them if you want either way these two are going top 2.

3 - Colts (4-12) - EDGE - Bradley Chubb - Indy considers trading back after deciding to stick with Luck and Brisset but decide to stay put and arguably get the best player in the country

4 - Browns via Huston (4-12) - **TRADE** - Buffalo - QB - Josh Allen - The Bills move up to select their QB of the future. After an impressive combine Allen shoots up draft boards. Bills give up 2018 1st, 2018 1st (from Chiefs), and 2019 1st.

6 - Bears (4-12) - **TRADE** - Jets - QB - Baker Mayfield - The Jets know the Broncos are picking ahead of them and the Cardinals are trying to trade up so they make the jump up to get their guy. Mayfield fell to the 4th QB taken after having shaky measurables at the combine and questions about his game transitioning to the NFL. The Bears are more than happy to recoup some draft picks to slide back a few slots. Jets give up their 2018 1st and a 2019 1st. Cardinals make the same offer but the Jets picks will be higher.

7 - Bucs (4-12) - CB - Minkah Fitzpatrick - Brent Grimes is 34, they draft his replacement.

8 - Broncos (5-11) - LT - Mike McGlinchey - The Broncos are upset that a QB didn't fall to them. Elway doesn't strike me as the guy to trade up for a players like Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson. They take a LT to protect Lynch and give him one more year to see if he has what it takes.

9 - Jets (5-11) - **TRADE** - Bears - WR - Calvin Ridley - Great trade by the Bears, they acquire more picks and they still get the WR they had their eyes on.

10 - Bengals (6-10) - G - Quenton Nelson - The middle of their OL needs work, this is an easy pick

11 - Cardinals (6-10) - QB - Lamar Jackson - The Cardinals still get a QB, not as polished as the first 4 taken but the ceiling is sky high for Jackson. Jackson can sit behind Palmer for a year and work on his mechanics before taking over next year.

I wouldn't trade 2 1st rounders for Mayfield.  Rosen or Darnold - no problem.  I'm not high on Mayfield.

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

What would you do with our first this year?

Draft O-Line after signing Cousins.

If no Cousins try to trade up to 2, hopefully the Giants win a game.  If that doesn't work let the draft happen, wouldn't spend 2 1's on a QB I'm not sold on.  If he falls to them, maybe I'd take him.

9 minutes ago, adb280z said:

If no Cousins try to trade up to 2, hopefully the Giants win a game.  If that doesn't work let the draft happen, wouldn't spend 2 1's on a QB I'm not sold on.  If he falls to them, maybe I'd take him.

With Cousins I'd prefer Edge over OL but I certainly wouldn't complain either way. If the Giants do have the 2nd pick and we did not sign Cousins I'm not sure Macc is going to have the luxury of hoping the next best QB is there which is why I predict a trade up.

17 minutes ago, adb280z said:

Redskins are franchise tagging Cousins 

7 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Even if Allen kills his workouts I still think either Mayfield or Jackson go ahead of him

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Even if Allen kills his workouts I still think either Mayfield or Jackson go ahead of him

I would certainly take Mayfield over him but from what Kiper and McShay have said GMs like Allen more. I think it will depend on the team that's picking. I think Buffalo may want to go with a more prototypical QB since Tyrod and Manuel didn't work out, which is why my hunch is they choose Allen. Cousins is going to determine a lot when in comes down to where these QBs go.

Wouldn't have only one plan.

Plan A - Pre draft I'd be all over Indy for a trade of some type if they wind up at #2.

Tell Indy we're easy either way. What's the price for the #2 pick OR what's the price for Luck.

Plan B - Be ready to trade up to #6 if we need to move up to get the QB we want.

Plan C - Take Mayfield (insert equivalent talent) at #9

I see good discussion in thread and can see most points of view. Be aware, just because one QB works out, doesn't mean others don't. It's not a zero sum game.

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

1. Cleveland will draft a QB (say, Darnold).

2. The Colts will not, but they will likely offer a trade.  The other top QB prospect goes here (say, Rosen).

3. The Giants will draft a QB, if one is available.  If top 2 are gone, they might hesitate (now that they might retain Manning).  Personally, I think they pass on a QB here, retain Manning, and keep developing their back pair of QB's.

4. San Fran will resign Garrapolo.  No QB here.

5. Cleveland will not draft two QB's in the top 5.  No QB here.

6. Chicago just drafted Trubisky.  No QB here.

7. Tampa has Winston.  No QB here.

8. Cincinnati is interesting, you would think no QB, but QB IS a possibility here.

9. The Jets.  We could be looking at every QB other than Darnold/Rosen here, or we could be looking at Darnold (Browns), Rosen (Colts pick), Allen (Cincy) all off the board.

I don't see a need to trade up tbqh.  Stand pat, save assets, pick the QB who is available at #9 (Mayfield) and use those two seconds to start rebuilding the O-line in front of him. 

Stay pat? Mac can’t afford to stay pat. Other QB needy teams could easily jump us and trade with teams that pick before us and take OUR QB. It’s not like QB’s grow on trees ?. Mac needs to ensure he gets one of Rosen Darnold, Mayfield or Allen. These 4 could easily go in top 8. Mac needs to sell the farm, the seeds, the tractor, the hay, the animals and get a QB.  

13 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Man if any thing good can come from this season now it’s having the Giants beat The Cardinals next week, and Colts losing out so the Giants don’t pick in the top 2!

So if this transpired and Giants fall back to 3 and stay put with Eli and fix their OL, what would it take to move up to #2 and get Darnold from #9. That’s a big leap. We’d need 1300 points to get fair trade value. #2 pick is worth 2600. Our pick is 1350. So  probably our first this year, next year’s first and our 2nd rounder 490 points this year, if not more. DO IT Bean Boy.

8 hours ago, BigO said:

Stay pat? Mac can’t afford to stay pat.

Says who?  You?  The only opinion that matters is that of Mr. Johnson.

8 hours ago, BigO said:

Other QB needy teams could easily jump us and trade with teams that pick before us and take OUR QB.

They could, yes.  

8 hours ago, BigO said:

It’s not like QB’s grow on trees ?.

They don't, no.

8 hours ago, BigO said:

Mac needs to ensure he gets one of Rosen Darnold, Mayfield or Allen.

Says who?  You?  

Lets be clear, the ongoing Jet Fan fantasy that we're in the running for the top 2 (presuming they STAY the top 2) prospects, Darnold and Rosen, and just annoying at this point.  Lets at least TRY and live in the real world once in a while, eh?  The Jets will not trade up to the #1 or #2 picks, even if they were available, which they will not be.

Beyond that, Macc may not have any interest in Mayfield at #9, much less at the price of three #1 picks to get up to pick #3.  sh*t, I really like Mayfield, and I wouldn't trade half a decade of talent in picks for him either.  

8 hours ago, BigO said:

These 4 could easily go in top 8. Mac needs to sell the farm, the seeds, the tractor, the hay, the animals and get a QB.  

The Dan Snyder school of football.  Just be aware, that's a hell of an investment to make on a 10-20% chance of success, if that.  It fails, we are damned to talent deficiencies and weak QB play for the next five years.  Me, I don't sell the farm for anyone in this class, they're not worth it.

But I can sit at pick #8/9/10 and I'm confident Mayfield, or Rudolph, or Allen or Jackson will be available.  I get the QB, and I get to keep both my #2 picks to start building around him, and I get to keep my 2019 #1 and 2020 #1 to ensure future opportunies at QB (if needed) or for elite level O-line or other help as needed.

Too many Jets Fans allow history to dictate the now.  It's a loser mentality that leads to support for bad, risky decisions and short term satisfaction over long term team building.  Winners are not built selling your whole draft and drafts to come for one QB.  Certainly not the possible QB's in the draft class.

11 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I would certainly take Mayfield over him but from what Kiper and McShay have said GMs like Allen more. I think it will depend on the team that's picking. I think Buffalo may want to go with a more prototypical QB since Tyrod and Manuel didn't work out, which is why my hunch is they choose Allen. Cousins is going to determine a lot when in comes down to where these QBs go.

I think a lot of GM’s see Mayfield’s red flags (spread offense, off the field issues) and aren’t riding the espn hype train

I think Luck is done with Indy and he, not Cousins, ends up dictating the market

19 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Cool stuff here but I doubt Bills pass on Mayfield for Josh Allen if this were to happen

Well it all depends on how the top QBs rank once the draft actually rolls around, which is eons from now. Josh Allen could easily be a no-brainer over Mayfield. You can easily see Allen sky-rocket up draft boards and Mayfield fall after exhibiting a low ceiling in the combine, not to mention questionable character. Just saying. Personally, if thats how the board fell, I would stand pat and take Jackson if I was the Jets. 

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

Well it all depends on how the top QBs rank once the draft actually rolls around, which is eons from now. Josh Allen could easily be a no-brainer over Mayfield. You can easily see Allen sky-rocket up draft boards and Mayfield fall after exhibiting a low ceiling in the combine, not to mention questionable character. Just saying. Personally, if thats how the board fell, I would stand pat and take Jackson if I was the Jets. 

Allen is going to destroy the combine workouts.  I agree take Jackson but I don’t hate Allen either though he’s definitely a risky pick

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

But I can sit at pick #8/9/10 and I'm confident Mayfield, or Rudolph, or Allen or Jackson will be available.  I get the QB, and I get to keep both my #2 picks to start building around him, and I get to keep my 2019 #1 and 2020 #1 to ensure future opportunies at QB (if needed) or for elite level O-line or other help as needed.

This. And I would even argue that it's not the worst thing if the Jets pick at #9 or 10 and NO top tier QBs are on the board. It's not good. But it's not as bad as say, trading away 'the farm' only to see your prized QB get hurt b/c of poor O-line play or a freak accident on the field. OR simply having him be no good OR having no talent around him b/c you traded away all your draft picks. 

The Jets can stand pat and either take the 4th QB available- if he is there. Assuming top 3 are Darnold, Rosen, Allen...one of Mayfield, Jackson, Rudolph, etc. OR if all the QBs are gone odds are a top 3 non-QB talent drops to the Jets. Then they can take a QB in the 2nd round. 

21 minutes ago, PepPep said:

F*ck NO. I’d take Falk before him. Of course not in the 1st round but I don’t want anything to do with inaccurate one read running QB’s

Archived