Projected 2018 NFL draft order: Two top-five picks for the Browns?

TuscanyTile2

We can make fun of the Browns as much as we want but they're in absolutely terrific position to turn things around quickly.  Again, we've seen what a good QB has done for the 49ers (1-10 pre-Garropollo and now 3-0 with him).  Band aids like Fitz and McCown are not the answer. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/21795530/projected-2018-nfl-draft-order-top-32-picks-week-15-2017

image.png

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Colts pick 2nd then I give up whatever I can to move up to their spot. My guess is the Giants will trade with the Colts so the Colts still get a top 3 pick then they either take Chubb or they trade down again with us. The only team that will have more ammo than us is Buffalo and if they keep winning their picks will be in the 20s. 

In a best case scenario IMO, the Jets will be able to trade up to get the #3 QB prospect in the 2018 draft.  They cannot swing and miss here, no matter who they pick or where they end up picking.  The problem is that I have no faith in Mac to pick the right guy.  Fingers crossed.

42 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We can make fun of the Browns as much as we want but they're in absolutely terrific position to turn things around quickly.  Again, we've seen what a good QB has done for the 49ers (1-10 pre-Garropollo and now 3-0 with him).  Band aids like Fitz and McCown are not the answer. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/21795530/projected-2018-nfl-draft-order-top-32-picks-week-15-2017

image.png

Believe it when I see it

"We looked at trading up higher the the 1st round and did our best but the price was just too prohibitive.  We are comfortable with Minkah Fitzpatrick who we never thought would last to our pick at 9 and we did manage to use our two 2nd rounders to get back up into the 1st round and get Josh Allen who we really like a lot."

Just now, Beerfish said:

"We looked at trading up higher the the 1st round and did our best but the price was just too prohibitive.  We are comfortable with Minkah Fitzpatrick who we never thought would last to our pick at 9 and we did manage to use our two 2nd rounders to get back up into the 1st round and get Josh Allen who we really like a lot."

People have Josh Allen going top ten. 3rd amongst QBs

Just now, Beerfish said:

Minkah Fitzpatrick and Josh Allen?  Id be more than happy with that draft. If we don't draft Baker Mayfield.

42 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So we could possibly send Mo Wilk to Cleveland  along with our #9 pick for their #5 pick to move up to draft Baker Mayfield. 

Lol nobody is trading for Mo anymore. We had our chance and decided to hold him and extend him at $18.5m for 2 guaranteed years. Right up there with the brilliance of Revis for 2 years $19.5m/year. 

Only possible way I can imagine he'd have any trade value is if we agreed to eat $12-14m of his $17m salary for 2018 (basically, try to buy a draft pick like Cleveland did with Osweiller). Even then we wouldn't get much since he'd be a 1 year rental for his new team. After all that's leaked out about the repeated late and skipped meetings, one's ever going to go into a season with that tool making in that range again, unless some 80% of it was incentive-based.

Then again, if we ate all that $ Mo would still have all the guaranteed money that turned him into an obnoxious, lazy sack of shit. So getting him at $3-4m probably still wouldn't work for a new team even if the Jets pay most of it. He needs to be on incentive-based deals for the rest of his career after the crap he pulled here.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

image.png

1. Cleveland will draft a QB (say, Darnold).

2. The Colts will not, but they will likely offer a trade.  The other top QB prospect goes here (say, Rosen).

3. The Giants will draft a QB, if one is available.  If top 2 are gone, they might hesitate (now that they might retain Manning).  Personally, I think they pass on a QB here, retain Manning, and keep developing their back pair of QB's.

4. San Fran will resign Garrapolo.  No QB here.

5. Cleveland will not draft two QB's in the top 5.  No QB here.

6. Chicago just drafted Trubisky.  No QB here.

7. Tampa has Winston.  No QB here.

8. Cincinnati is interesting, you would think no QB, but QB IS a possibility here.

9. The Jets.  We could be looking at every QB other than Darnold/Rosen here, or we could be looking at Darnold (Browns), Rosen (Colts pick), Allen (Cincy) all off the board.

I don't see a need to trade up tbqh.  Stand pat, save assets, pick the QB who is available at #9 (Mayfield) and use those two seconds to start rebuilding the O-line in front of him. 

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

2. The Colts will not, but they will likely offer a trade.  The other top QB prospect goes here (say, Rosen).

3. The Giants will draft a QB, if one is available.  If top 2 are gone, they might hesitate (now that they might retain Manning).  Personally, I think they pass on a QB here, retain Manning, and keep developing their back pair of QB's.

8. Cincinnati is interesting, you would think no QB, but QB IS a possibility here.

9. The Jets.  We could be looking at every QB other than Darnold/Rosen here, or we could be looking at Darnold (Browns), Rosen (Colts pick), Allen (Cincy) all off the board.

I don't see a need to trade up tbqh.  Stand pat, save assets, pick the QB who is available at #9 (Mayfield) and use those two seconds to start rebuilding the O-line in front of him. 

Any team not taking a QB in those top 5 picks could easily trade down though.  I especially think Cleveland will trade down with their #5 pick.

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

image.png

Dude please, they are not turning anything around except taking two top five players and turning them into fourth round pick few years later.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

And prepare for the same cycle of crappy football teams. This is the mindset that has us where we are. With no risk comes no reward. Time for the mentality of everyone in the JETS Front Office and Staff to change and start trying to go get "their QB" make a bold move and try for the love of god... Sitting and hoping a QB will fall or just taking the best QB at your spot is not going to get us the QB we are hoping for. And if you don't trade up for a top qb you sure as hell don't just take the qb that is available at your pick in the first round just because you need that position. If you are willing to stay at your pick you better not be wasting the pick while letting better players fall.

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We can make fun of the Browns as much as we want but they're in absolutely terrific position to turn things around quickly. 

Where have we heard this before? RIGHT!  2004, and 2005, and 2008, and 2010, and 2012, and 2013, and 2014, and 2016.  All the years they had a top ten pick, and in some cases multiple picks in the first round, and are still the worst franchise this millennium...

No offense, but I will believe it when I see the Brown in the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

In a best case scenario IMO, the Jets will be able to trade up to get the #3 QB prospect in the 2018 draft.  .

This narrative is all that matters and will not change in the coming 4 months. We won't pry that 1st pick out of CLE's hands -- and the Giants barring a total shift in thinking with Eli, will almost assuredly want to lock up a QB there too...

IND folks. That's what it's looking. 

14 minutes ago, Stark said:

And prepare for the same cycle of crappy football teams. This is the mindset that has us where we are. With no risk comes no reward. Time for the mentality of everyone in the JETS Front Office and Staff to change and start trying to go get "their QB" make a bold move and try for the love of god... Sitting and hoping a QB will fall or just taking the best QB at your spot is not going to get us the QB we are hoping for. And if you don't trade up for a top qb you sure as hell don't just take the qb that is available at your pick in the first round just because you need that position. If you are willing to stay at your pick you better not be wasting the pick while letting better players fall.

I believe Mayfield will available at #9.

And I think Mayfield will be a good #1 QB.

41 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

QB's will go 1.2.3 in the draft this year.

Regardless of this list the Giants are not winning another game - Cleveland and the giants take the big two...and someone will move up to the third spot to take Mayfield....

I agree completely and the Jets better be the team to move up to number 3.

43 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

QB's will go 1.2.3 in the draft this year.

Regardless of this list the Giants are not winning another game - Cleveland and the giants take the big two...and someone will move up to the third spot to take Mayfield....

I have seen many QB mock drafts that have Mayfield 4th and Allen/Jackson ahead of him

Completely agree with you here. Fans would have you believe 5 QBs are going in the 1st 8 picks...not gonna happen. Too many good players & too many teams at the top NOT choosing QBs. Because this is a deep draft at QB, teams won't pay the price necessary to move up knowing that those teams aren't picking a QBs anyway. 

Even a team like the Skins if they lose Cousins will sit & let the draft come to them. Hell, they got Cousins in the 3rd & wasted their draft picks on RG3. I think the Jets will either move up for Rosen if he gets close, or if they stay where they are Jackson & Mayfield will be staring them in the face. I personally like Rosen. He's got an NFL deep ball, nice catchable ball, and he's very accurate in the short game which is absolutely necessary in the NFL. That's what scares me about Jackson BUT, if Jackson could be 15 to 20% BETTER than what T mobile has become, that's good enough to get to the playoffs & match him with a stud RB and the right offense, his legs make him super scary in a 1 game wins it all scenario. Look how dangerous the Panthers are now with McCaffrey moving around & Cam running more again. 

The game has evolved, an in his prime Michael Vick would be absolutely frightening with theses new rules of giving yourself up, can't go low in the pocket, and being able to throw the ball away & no one can touch u anymore after you do.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I believe Mayfield will available at #9.

And I think Mayfield will be a good #1 QB.

I don't agree with the order posted above because I don't see the Broncos winning another game this year. That would put us at #9 with the Broncos picking at #8. I don't believe the Broncos are a threat to trade up for a QB but I do believe they are a threat to take a QB forcing us to jump them. If Mayfield is the guy we want I think we need to see what it would cost to move up to each of the picks between 3-7. Browns obviously being the sweet spot since they may not require as much compensation. 

Our biggest threat is Buffalo, we need them and the chiefs to make the playoffs. Hopefully a top 10 team will want to stay in the top 10 and get an early 2nd instead of getting 2 late round firsts.

I completely disagree with this assessment and it's precisely the reason this team is where it is.  You don't mess around with the QB position.  You don't wait and hope the guy you like falls to you - you go and get him.  If the Jets really like Mayfield - go and get him...if they really like Jackson, go and get him.

You can NOT be passive with the QB position - not if you're the Jets.  If they're smart they go up as high as they can and give up whatever it takes.

So what if you have to give away to 2nd rounders - honestly.  If the QB hits you have 15 years to build a team around him - if he doesn't then it really doesn't matter who you draft in the second round because The Jets will have to start over again in 4 years. 

5 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

You can draft a QB prospect from today till tomorrow, if you do not have the coaching infrastructure to properly coach up a college QB, it does not matter who they pick, they fill fail undoubtedly.

Because of the lack of coaching in the college system and the impatience of teams, the number of quality QBs in the NFL is going to continue to go way down

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

Of course the year the Jets HAVE TO draft a QB it's possible that the top 3 picks in the draft will be QB's.  It's unbelievable how timing / luck always seems to be working against this franchise. 

Bad luck had very little to do with us not landing a top 2 pick. Maccagnan decided to sign McCown when all we had to do was play Petty and Hackenberg all season to lock up a 2 win season and top 2 pick. This front office and ownership made the conscious decision to chase 6 wins instead of doing everything necessary to land a franchise QB.

We knew going into the season that the 2018 draft had two potential franchise QBs but instead of doing everything to put the team in position to get one of the top 2 guys we chose to chase mediocrity. If we come out of the 2018 draft without one of Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield and lets face it the first two may be impossible to get the blame goes to Maccagnan and ownership for not seeing the bigger picture.

Archived