2018 Mets thread

adb280z

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watching a talking head arguing that Max Scherzer is the best pitcher in the NL (over Kershaw).  Now I'll admit I'm a homer and of course I think Syndergaard is the best pitcher but I did look up a stat that blew my mind.

Here are the top 10 career leaders for K/BB

Rank Player (yrs, age) Strikeouts / Base On Balls Throws
1. Chris Sale (9, 29) 5.1013 L
2. Tommy Bond (10) 5.0363 R
3. Corey Kluber (8, 32) 4.9549 R
4. Stephen Strasburg (8, 29) 4.5512 R
5. Curt Schilling (20) 4.3826 R
6. Madison Bumgarner (9, 28) 4.3333 L
7. Clayton Kershaw (11, 30) 4.1788 L
8. Pedro Martinez+ (18) 4.1500 R
9. Mariano Rivera (19) 4.1014 R
10. Dan Haren (13) 4.0260 R

Now since Thor only has 370 IP he doesn't qualify for the list, but his number?  5.56.  Let that sink in.  There are only 3 guys who ever finished above 4.55.  Noah is a full point higher than the 4th best all time, and a half point higher than the best of all time.  The guys metrics are insane.   He got a little bit of a late start in the majors (Kershaw was only 20 for example) but he is going to be a joy to watch if he stays healthy.  Pretty much a no-contest for best trade ever by the Mets.

On 4/1/2018 at 9:03 AM, faba said:

Even when DeGrom does not have his best stuff he still is so much better than practically all others.

Hoping Matz can show he can get his act back together starting today

Matz starts off poorly again

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Early trouble is still his kryptonite. I am starting to wonder if he might be the odd man out when Vargas comes back in a few weeks.

I really have no confidence in him right now to throw a good game to give us a chance to win I think you are right on Vargas

So for me tonight is the most intriguing game of the month. The thing that piqued my curiosity most with respect to the Callaway hire was the impact that he would have on Harvey. Supposedly Callaway and Dave Eiland spent a LOT of time with Harvey this Spring, more than any of the other pitchers, with the goal of rebuilding him psychologically and everyone in the org is very pleased with the results.

I'm excited and nervous for those first few innings. With all the ups and downs that Harvey has had with the team and even the fans over the past 4-5 years, it really would be one of the coolest comeback stories ever. Baseball is all about the narratives and I have to think that the rest of the team would feed off Harvey if he can get some of his magic back.

That said it's going to be ******* cold out there today, so I'm trying to keep my expectations reasonable, but man...

Very encouraging outing from Harvey.  The thing that pleased me the most last night was that he let the lead off batter on base like 3 innings straight (one an error by Reyes) and worked himself out of a couple of jams which was crazy considering he only gave up 1 hit and 1 base on balls.

Lugo was nasty last night too.

Todd Frazier has been clutch.

Cant ask for a better start! 

14 hours ago, JiF said:

Very encouraging outing from Harvey.  The thing that pleased me the most last night was that he let the lead off batter on base like 3 innings straight (one an error by Reyes) and worked himself out of a couple of jams which was crazy considering he only gave up 1 hit and 1 base on balls.

Lugo was nasty last night too.

Todd Frazier has been clutch.

Cant ask for a better start! 

The offense has been good but the pitching and defense (bullpen in particular) have been really good.  I think they are tied for league low in runs scored against.  Have I mentioned the bullpen?  Just need to get Bruce hitting and this could turn into a nice April.

7 hours ago, nycdan said:

The offense has been good but the pitching and defense (bullpen in particular) have been really good.  I think they are tied for league low in runs scored against.  Have. I mentioned the bullpen?  Just need to get Bruce hitting and this could turn into a nice April.

Yup.  Been a nice start and the bullpen has looked strong.  Even Familia is back in his 15/16 form, putting guys on base, making me a nervous wreck, but getting himself out of trouble.  Would be nice if the starters could give us at least 6 innings so the bullpen would not be so taxed, but that is baseball today.  Hopefully we get a few more innings out of the starters as the season goes on.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Been a nice start and the bullpen has looked strong.  Even Familia is back in his 15/16 form, putting guys on base, making me a nervous wreck, but getting himself out of trouble.  Would be nice if the starters could give us at least 6 innings so the bullpen would not be so taxed, but that is baseball today.  Hopefully we get a few more innings out of the starters as the season goes on.

It's early in the season and cold, so pitch counts are going to be kept tight.  I think we'll see the starters go longer once May rolls around.  It would be nice if we could get through a year without multiple serious injuries for a change.  Hoping Callaway is the answer.

Conforto goes yard off Strasburg in his first game back from the DL.  Cespedes goes deep too for good measure.

We can take a 1.5 game lead on the Nats today if we hold on for the W.  Too early to start thinking about the division race?  lol.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Conforto goes yard off Strasburg in his first game back from the DL.  Cespedes goes deep too for good measure.

We can take a 1.5 game lead on the Nats today if we hold on for the W.  Too early to start thinking about the division race?  lol.  

I don't care if it is April.  Every season starts with the first goal being the Division, until it becomes apparent that it is out of reach.  Long way to go, but lets at least make a statement this week that we are not going to get our asses kicked every time we go in to DC. 

Nice start today.

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't care if it is April.  Every season starts with the first goal being the Division, until it becomes apparent that it is out of reach.  Long way to go, but lets at least make a statement this week that we are not going to get our asses kicked every time we go in to DC. 

Nice start today.

Yep.  As long as you're playing about .500 ball by late July, you can make a run.  The more wins you can pile up early on to make it easier to be in that position, the better!

51 minutes ago, Lith said:

Nice start today.

The best thing to happen to the Mets this April was Murphy being hurt. 1/3 of the games we have against the Nats come over the first 3 weeks. Huge, huge opportunity to get an early jump on them.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Doesn’t matter the time of year, getting wins on the road vs your biggest comp in the division vs one of their Ace’s is huge.  

The way the Mets did it today?  How can’t you be excited and wonder what if this team stays healthy? 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Doesn’t matter the time of year, getting wins on the road vs your biggest comp in the division vs one of their Ace’s is huge.  

The way the Mets did it today?  How can’t you be excited and wonder what if this team stays healthy? 

Because I'm a Mets fan, and used to getting my heart broken?  

I'm definitely excited though.  Full chub.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because I'm a Mets fan, and used to getting my heart broken?  

I'm definitely excited though.  Full chub.

Having a bad April isn’t as bad as having an awesome April is awesome. People forget that the reason the ‘15 Mets were able to weather that brutal summer until the Yo trade is because they absolutely crushed the Spring. A bad start is more than correctable but a great April and May buys you a loooooot of leeway for the season.

I am always of the opinion that you shouldn’t take too much from the first two months of a season but winning a ton early certainly makes the summer grind so much easier during the rough patches.

Frazier just killed a great outing by Matz.  Still some time to get the bats going but this was looking like a duel down to the wire vs Gio as they were scoreless heading into the 5th.  

2nd error on the year already for Frazier.  This was one cost a run.  

Just now, JiF said:

razier just killed a great outing by Matz.  Still some time to get the bats going but this was looking like a duel down to the wire vs Gio as they were scoreless heading into the 5th.  

2nd error on the year already for Frazier.  This was one cost a run.  

And then he was inches from going yard on his AB.  Haha

Another big W.

Love to see the aggression on the basebaths.  Taking extra bases, putting pressure on the defense.  We may not have a whole lot of team speed, but Rosario scoring from first on the double.  Cabrera taking 3rd on Yo's grounder.  Conforto running to stay out of the DP so Cabrera could score what became the game winner.

Last year, we lose this game 2-1.

No mercy tomorrow, don't let up , I don't want to hear any talk about a house money game , these guys not only step on our throats they squash our skulls and mock us when they have the upper hand ....sweep them . 

Archived