Retrospect to 2009 2010

southparkcpa

Watching how fast the eagles defense looked last night, from defensive line, to corner backs was quite impressive.

Thinking back on how Rex neglected the offense he must be shaking his head.

Looking at the eagles drafts, they seem to have a solid GM and ownership. They built a fast defense and a solid offense.

What I can't help but notice is they have a solid offense with a working solid TE,  running backs , solid OLINE.

Yet we haven't had a TE  since Dustin Keller really although this appears to be changing Thank God.

I bet their HC went to offensive meetings.  

I also liked the temperament of their HC. Emotional enough but not a corpse like Bowles or a cheer leader like REX.

We hired REX, got excited but in reality, the Ravens knew he was limited  in a "cerebral" way yet he spent 5 years here and 

our drafts under him were simply awful.make no mistake, I believe he had a strong influence on Tanny, as did Mangini.

Rex Ryan was a great defensive coach for the first 3 years ..something happened though. We began to get gashed for big gains all the time and get blown out. I mean hell .. we even got blown out in 2010 43-3 by the Patriots before we got back at them in the divisional round. It was odd. We had good schemes .. good personnel .. maybe he just spent too much time coaching the DL .. he was a DL coach before all of this. 

22 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Watching how fast the eagles defense looked last night, from defensive line, to corner backs was quite impressive.

Looking at the eagles drafts, they seem to have a solid GM and ownership. They built a fast defense and a solid offense.

What I can't help but notice is they have a solid offense with a working solid TE,  running backs , solid OLINE.

Yet we haven't had a TE  since Dustin Keller really although this appears to be changing Thank God.

I also liked the temperament of their HC. Emotional enough but not a corpse like Bowles or a cheer leader like REX.

We hired REX, got excited but in reality, the Ravens knew he was limited  in a "cerebral" way yet he spent 5 years here and 

our drafts under him were simply awful.make no mistake, I believe he had a strong influence on Tanny, as did Mangini.

And it was done it two years

The Brick and Mangold draft was the key - Jets have not drafted OL in the first three rounds since (Vlad does not count)

Revis helped too but the league figured out the Ryan defense (again) and they did not adjust, a shame since I think he actually cared about the Jets - really bad drafts and drama (Tebow, Idzik) sealed his fate 

Rex did not need first round players, he was better with the underdogs

42 minutes ago, JiF said:

Rex is the only good thing to happen to this franchise in the last 50 years.   The Jets will probably never make the playoffs again in our lifetime let alone go to back to back AFCC games.

The good old days...

I disagree.. yes it was fun but in retrospect he mortgaged us and had no ability to develop talent or find talent.   After 2010, he showed his true colors as he did with the Bills. 

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

I disagree.. yes it was fun but in retrospect he mortgaged us and had no ability to develop talent or find talent.   After 2010, he showed his true colors as he did with the Bills. 

This

Rex was in the right place at the right time. We had a solid core of good players who were beaten down and bored by Magini. Rex came in and pushed the right buttons for his first two years, and it was fun, but to anyone who was really paying attention, it was not sustainable. Offseason between 10 and 11 Rex showed his true colors, when he decided to abandon the offense completely to try to build the 85 Bears so HE could win with HIS defense. Lets also not forget how lucky we were in 09 and 10, unfortunately our luck didn't result in a SB.

27 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

That's fine to disagree but the bottom line is, he's the guy that is responsible for the best run in franchise history.  Probably something you'll never see again.  Not sure why you feel the need to look back at those times with disdain.  That's a personal choice.  I prefer to remember the good old days and hope one day we can find a coach to replicate that success..and maybe finally get us over the hump!

To each their own.  We all have our ways. 

The Eagles defense allowed a 500 yard passer and allowed 33 points which didn't include a missed PAT and missed chip shot FG.  The Eagle D played great in the NFC playoffs and at home this year but they won this SB b/c the O outscored Brady unlike the last 2 Pats SB losses where D won those games.

Rex would have been a fine DC for us in those years as much as I liked him when he first got hired, but after watching him the only thing he had was fire in his eyes. He didn't know how to coach the entire team and that's what we need. A coach that can coach the entire team and understand both sides of the ball. It's ok that you might specialize in one side, but then you better have the other side completely covered by another awesome coach.

1 minute ago, 68JET11 said:

Rex would have been a fine DC for us in those years as much as I liked him when he first got hired, but after watching him the only thing he had was fire in his eyes. He didn't know how to coach the entire team and that's what we need. A coach that can coach the entire team and understand both sides of the ball. It's ok that you might specialize in one side, but then you better have the other side completely covered by another awesome coach.

Good thing we replaced him with a coach who is equally involved in all phases of the game.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Good thing we replaced him with a coach who is equally involved in all phases of the game.

That wasn't a dis, I liked Rex alot... and if you see my posts DUMBA$$ is the worst and I've been calling for him to be fired after the 1st year. He sucks and I'm sure that we can agree on. I just wish Rex had the foresight to hire a competent OC. Since he didn't, he probably would have been a better DC for us then HC. 

36 minutes ago, JiF said:

That's fine to disagree but the bottom line is, he's the guy that is responsible for the best run in franchise history.  Probably something you'll never see again.  Not sure why you feel the need to look back at those times with disdain.  That's a personal choice.  I prefer to remember the good old days and hope one day we can find a coach to replicate that success..and maybe finally get us over the hump!

To each their own.  We all have our ways. 

I think we will have a run.  Dont ask me when....  :)

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Rex Ryan was a great defensive coach for the first 3 years ..something happened though. We began to get gashed for big gains all the time and get blown out. I mean hell .. we even got blown out in 2010 43-3 by the Patriots before we got back at them in the divisional round. It was odd. We had good schemes .. good personnel .. maybe he just spent too much time coaching the DL .. he was a DL coach before all of this. 

Rex never changed what he did defensively which is why the defense regressed.  Rex changed his scheme once in his entire time here, against the Pats when he only rushed 3 guys and played a ton of underneath coverage to beat Brady.   Every other game, he stuck to blitzing too much and never once changing up what we did.

On top of that, Rex continued to draft and staff a 4-6 type defense when the entire league was going smaller, faster and playing a lot more nickel.  He and Idzik literally had no idea how to pick personnel and left this team without any impact players.  

Yes the 2009-2010 champ game seasons were great, but overall Rex's inability to change as the league changed hurt this organization enormously

35 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The Eagles defense allowed a 500 yard passer and allowed 33 points which didn't include a missed PAT and missed chip shot FG.  The Eagle D played great in the NFC playoffs and at home this year but they won this SB b/c the O outscored Brady unlike the last 2 Pats SB losses where D won those games.

That's interesting and shows how Brady is , in the mind of many, the GOAT.  He looked rushed, panicked and still had an unbelievable game.

Can't wait til he retires.

Retrospect of 2009-2010, Rex acted like he won the Super Bowl after beating the Pats.  He failed to get his team ready to play the Steelers in Pittsburgh.  He neglected the offense and even let Schitty use the same exact gameplan they used when they barely beat the Steelers during the regular season (as if the Steelers wouldn't make adjustments).

Rex's head coaching career turned on his failure to lead heading up to the AFCCC.  He coaches up that game and the Jets win (they were dogs, but they had every ability to win), then a lot of careers change.  He could still be the Jets HC.  Heck, maybe even Sanchez is a different player after winning that game.

The most colossal blunder this team has made in the last 15 years was drafting Sanchez and going with a rookies QB rather then getting a quality game manager vet QB.

The team was close and build to win in those two rex years and they draft  a rookie without having a real quality offensive coach willing to prioritize the rookie.  Despite some of the success in the playoffs a rookie mistake prone QB is often not going to string the 4 wins in a row you need.

They have 3 elite OLman, 4 if Peters could stay healthy. TE is pro bowl level. 

their WRs catch everything and they have diversity  at RB with 3 guys who can do different things. Oh and the top D in football.

elite coaching....

holy crap there is no hope for the Jets. 

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Retrospect of 2009-2010, Rex acted like he won the Super Bowl after beating the Pats.  He failed to get his team ready to play the Steelers in Pittsburgh.  He neglected the offense and even let Schitty use the same exact gameplan they used when they barely beat the Steelers during the regular season (as if the Steelers wouldn't make adjustments).

Rex's head coaching career turned on his failure to lead heading up to the AFCCC.  He coaches up that game and the Jets win (they were dogs, but they had every ability to win), then a lot of careers change.  He could still be the Jets HC.  Heck, maybe even Sanchez is a different player after winning that game.

I blame Rex Ryan for a lot, but not the Pitt game. The D just got run over in the first quarter, but he rallied the troops and almost had us comeback for a win.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I blame Rex Ryan for a lot, but not the Pitt game. The D just got run over in the first quarter, but he rallied the troops and almost had us comeback for a win.

That's the thing: the D got run over in the 1st quarter because they weren't ready to play.  That's on Rex and it was HIS defense.

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

The Eagle D gave up 600 yards of offense. This is hardly the day to bloviate about their defense pal :) although they did make a few plays at the end of the game to secure the win (which Jet defenses never have or will under Bowles)

39 minutes ago, SMC said:

That's the thing: the D got run over in the 1st quarter because they weren't ready to play.  That's on Rex and it was HIS defense.

It could be. But I remember watching peope missing tackles and not getting off of blocks. At some point, players have to make plays. Its not like we were getting out schemed and fooled. Our players on D just didn’t show up til the second half. Thats on them.

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

That's interesting and shows how Brady is , in the mind of many, the GOAT.  He looked rushed, panicked and still had an unbelievable game.

Can't wait til he retires.

it will be a great day for the rest of the AFC east, AFC and NFL when Brady retires.  we'll all have more chances to win.

Archived