Will giants take Barkley?

kevinc855

5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

That would be a dream scenario, and while it is a difficult choice, I think they would take Darnold. He seems to get a higher grade, by a little, by more evaluators and, more importantly, I feel the coaches and GMs around the league just prefer him on a personal level to Rosen. 

It's funny, but Darnold is the only QB I don't want .

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, bitonti said:

this thread is called will the Giants take Barkley the real question is will the Jets?

Every mock draft  has Barkley going 4 to CLE and it's considered a great pick, because Barkley is the top prospect overall and the Cleveland has 2 picks in the top 5. 

But the Jets pick 3 and to take Barkley would be an overpay? When he's in consideration at 1 and 2 and would be a steal at 4?

when he's not doing his best Monopoly man impression Woody Johnson has always been a fan of Curtis Martin as both a player and later, he would consider him a friend. Curtis gave a speech at Woody's 60th birthday party. 

Curtis Martin played his football at Alderdice (Pitt), PA and went to Pitt. 

Saquon Barkley played his football in Bethlehem, PA and went to Penn State

Not saying Barkley is Martin but Mac can sell Barkley to his boss as that type of franchise player.

And he can sell the pick to fans who will buy tickets to see Barkley make plays right away (as opposed to a QB who would be buried on the scout team).

I think two things are true:

1. The Johnson brothers will only fire Bowles and Macc when public opinion against them gets loud.

2. Drafting Allen or Barkley will get very loud, immediately. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think three things are true:

1. The Johnson brothers will only fire Bowles and Macc when public opinion against them gets loud.

public opinion against them has already been loud and they got extensions.  Thankfully they aren't listening to the fans anymore even though I wanted a new HC.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

public opinion against them has already been loud and they got extensions.  Thankfully they aren't listening to the fans anymore even though I wanted a new HC.

It’s not loud yet because the Giants sucking gave them media cover. But, it’s about to get loud. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s not loud yet because the Giants sucking gave them media cover. But, it’s about to get loud. 

it got pretty loud.  Maybe it was muted a bit b/c of the ridiculousness w/ the giants benching a mediocre QB but it was still pretty loud.

If that is true, why not trade back and fleece a QB desperate team?

They should and probably will...but who they fleece is gonna depend on who they really want in this draft.

If they want Barkley they’ll probably get another DP out of us at 3 and stop trading back because CLE picks 4.

If they really want Nelson, I can see them trading back to like 5....beyond that it gets iffy for him being available.

If they want a QB, they’ll stick at 2.

Don’t see them trading back to 12 unless they’re getting BUF 2 1sts this yr, both BUF 2s this year and next years 1. Doubt BUF does that but who knows.

While Gettleman is picking 2nd this year, if he amasses enough draft capital he may believe he can just trade up to that level again next yr if need be for a QB.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Woody can't hear anything in the UK. Can Chris really make a firing decision without big bro? 

Woodrow will like Allen and Barkley as people.  He will want a servant to make Rosen and Mayfield stop talking. 

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Woody can't hear anything in the UK. Can Chris really make a firing decision without big bro? 

Woodrow will like Allen and Barkley as people.  He will want a servant to make Rosen and Mayfield stop talking. 

I’d almost guarantee that Woody has someone read him Manish tweets over his tea and crumpets 

Just now, bitonti said:

When not shining the Maybach, the footman tends to Woody's purebred Alaskan Malamute named Porsche.

She's a handful. 

But because of allergies, Woody has only seen Porsche in photographs, in much the same way he experiences his Romanian mistress, Luka.

5 hours ago, talisaynon said:

No, because Cleveland is taking him.

The general consensus I am getting from my friend is that they want Barkley bad and view him as a better player than any of the top 4 QBS. They also are fine with any QB falling to them at 4. They love Mayfrield thanks to the destruction of Ohio State and also love Allen as they feel he fits the mold of AFC North QB (Flacco, Ben). In fact my feeling is they probably want those two more than they want a California QB.

Cleveland fans are weird. But it's their loss.

Fans don't make the decisions come draft time though, lol

4 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I agree  with this thinking. The problem as I see it is if your draft board is Darnold, Rosen, Barkley and Nelson, then how do you take a QB who's not a sure thing over a Barkley who many say might be the best player in the draft ? 

The Jets had zero chance at Barkley at 6. 

The issue here is the Giants should really take Barkley and take their offense to a new level and the Jets then take Rosen and start to build their offense .

What happens if the Browns take Allen and the Giants take Barkley . Who do the Jets take fro Rosen and Darnold  ?

@Mogglez has said Rosen is the #1 QB on Macc's board. It's gonna be him

5 minutes ago, King P said:

@Mogglez has said Rosen is the #1 QB on Macc's board. It's gonna be him

Reading Moggles posts you can't really tell if what he is saying is from an actual insider or his personal preference/rumors that are publicly available to everyone. He likes Mayfield so he projected the Jets like him in top 3 tier while afterward all evidence points to this being inaccurate. I can easily see Jets taking Allen/Darnold over Rosen,.

the reasons why the Jets should draft Saquon Barkley at 3

1 - If He's even there he's the best available player - because he's the best player in the whole draft. (Leonard Williams scenario)

2 - If he's there at 3 that means at least 1 QB has been drafted (NYG go Chubb), but more probably 2 QBs.  

3 - Every one of these Qbs has horrifying flaws. they all are about a coinflip or worse to pan out. Teddy Bridgewater is better than at least 2 of them, right now, on one leg. Barkley is far safer like 99% not going to bust in fact could be an all-pro right away.  

4 - Josh McCown actually had the offense humming to 30 points per game before he got hurt. Its not a long-term solution but at 10 mil fully guaranteed one.  You know they aren't playing the rookie QB this year. 

5 - on the other hand, Saquon Barkley instantly starts, becomes the best offensive weapon this team has had since Curtis Martin. He's the guy other team's defensive coordinator screams at his team about. The Jets have no such players at present and drafting a QB to hold a clipboard isn't going to add instant impact. They cut Bilal Powell who is 30. 

6 - There's no such thing as a rebuild in the NFL only reloads. The roster is going to be totally different 3 years from now.  This idea that I believed as recently as a month ago, that an RB isn't worth the high pick because his career length is too short... life is too short. Mac doesn't have 5 years in this job. We could all get hit by a meteor tomorrow. This idea that they will take Josh Allen and he will play 20 years is feasible but it's not nearly as likely as getting like 3-5 dominant years out of Barkley.

7 - As other posters like to point out Barkley is a WR playing RB. He means it as an insult but a 230 WR at 4.4 who runs out of the backfield and takes it to the house is pretty damn exciting. It could mean a longer career cause he's not going between the tackles like a thumper. He's a finesse player in a power player body. 

8 - there are other QBs in this draft and others, and even the trade market (Big Dick Nick maybe). They can't fix all the team's problem in any one given draft.   

Eli is at the end of his career. He’s had 1 mediocre season and one epic failure season. He may actually be done. He’s getting new life and one more chance to turn it around. If it was any other HC he may have been on the trade block. Giants would be stupid to let Rosen fall to the Jets. RBs are a dime a dozen and typically don’t go in the top 3 picks. To pass on a potential franchise QB..... ? I just don’t see it happening. They are in a perfect spot in the draft for Rosen. Like I’ve been saying the Jets will have to choose between Mayfield and Allen. I don’t see the Brown’s passing on Darnold but stranger things have happened. Maybe they take Allen. 

On 3/21/2018 at 1:01 AM, bitonti said:

this thread is called will the Giants take Barkley the real question is will the Jets?

Every mock draft  has Barkley going 4 to CLE and it's considered a great pick, because Barkley is the top prospect overall and the Cleveland has 2 picks in the top 5. 

But the Jets pick 3 and to take Barkley would be an overpay? When he's in consideration at 1 and 2 and would be a steal at 4?

when he's not doing his best Monopoly man impression Woody Johnson has always been a fan of Curtis Martin as both a player and later, he would consider him a friend. Curtis gave a speech at Woody's 60th birthday party. 

Not saying Barkley is Martin but Mac can sell Barkley to his boss as that type of franchise player.

And he can sell the pick to fans who will buy tickets to see Barkley make plays right away (as opposed to a QB who would be buried on the scout team).

Barkley would make 100% sense at 3 if Macc had drafted Watson last year. That would've been a dynamic duo. Instead, Macc took a Safety.

Macc now boxed himself in and has to take a QB at 3.

On 3/21/2018 at 12:01 AM, bitonti said:

You need to stop. Are you seriously using where they went to college(which isn’t even the same college lmao) as some kind of pitch to the owner that we need to take Barkely over a QB? Wtf.

i don’t even like Allen and i’d pick him over a damn running back. This isn’t a third round pick we originally had...we had to give up A LOT to get here. You have to be sh*tting me?

just stop.

28 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You need to stop. Are you seriously using where they went to college(which isn’t even the same college lmao) as some kind of pitch to the owner that we need to take Barkely over a QB? Wtf.

i don’t even like Allen and i’d pick him over a damn running back. This isn’t a third round pick we originally had...we had to give up A LOT to get here. You have to be sh*tting me?

just stop.

The Jets second round picks are disposable. They are not premium picks when 6 out of the last 7 2nd round picks have been absolute value less busts

There aren't any Saquon Barkleys in this draft or any others. He's better than Fournette, Zeke and Gurley. 

Meanwhile these QBs are all coin flips at best. Just cause they take their Josh of choice doesn't mean he pans out. Barkley's panning out. 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Jets second round picks are disposable. They are not premium picks when 6 out of the last 7 2nd round picks have been absolute value less busts

There aren't any Saquon Barkleys in this draft or any others. He's better than Fournette, Zeke and Gurley. 

Meanwhile these QBs are all coin flips at best. Just cause they take their Josh of choice doesn't mean he pans out. Barkley's panning out. 

In general 2nd round picks ARE premium picks. Saying we don’t draft good in the 2nd really isn’t a great reason to just let three go for a running back. That’s lazy.

we moved up for this coin flip. We moved up for the most important position in the entire sport. Idc if Barkely is Curtis Martin..we ain’t goin no where without a QB.

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Idc if Barkely is Curtis Martin..we ain’t goin no where without a QB.

That's true but honest question when has 3 QBs ever gone 1,2,3 and  if it ever happened, when has that 3rd QB ever worked out? 

Im not saying take Barkley at all costs but there's probably not 3 QBs on Mac's list. There could be only 2. If those 2 are Rosen and Darnold you want them to reach for QB3? 

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That's true but honest question when has 3 QBs ever gone 1,2,3 and  if it ever happened, when has that 3rd QB ever worked out? 

Im not saying take Barkley at all costs but there's probably not 3 QBs on Mac's list. There could be only 2. If those 2 are Rosen and Darnold you want them to reach for QB3? 

Looks like it happened twice:

1999 (Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith) - others: Culpepper went 11 overall

1971 (Jim Plunkett, Archie Manning, Dan Pastorini) - others: Theisman went in 4th rd.

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I’m perfectly fine with taking Allen if that happens. I’m being so serious. Allen is the better pick given our situation right now. But I’m not just forgetting about Mayfield. I’ll take either Allen or Mayfield. Just get us a QB.

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

C’mon Bit. The Jets can’t go RB at 3. That would leave McCown, TB and Hack for the future of our QBs. A good or great for all that matters RB is not the answer in the NFL game today. It’s a passing game and a great RB is a supplement to that offense. Not a be all end all. Besides as I said in another post the Jet fans would burn Met Life down if they passed on a QB at #3. They will just have to take their chances with what’s left. Who knows they might get it right. After all they are overdue to get a break in the never ending QB depression they’ve been in in the last  48 years. ?

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m perfectly fine with taking Allen if that happens. I’m being so serious. Allen is the better pick given our situation right now. But I’m not just forgetting about Mayfield. I’ll take either Allen or Mayfield. Just get us a QB.

Im with you on this. If our dreams are broken and Rosen is gone by our pick, Allen is worth the investment. I feel with Jeremy Bates we have an actual talent of an offensive coordinator that understands the qb position, and can develop Allen.

If you untap half of Allen’s potential, he’s a franchise quarterback. If you get all of it, he’ll be scary good.

29 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Besides as I said in another post the Jet fans would burn Met Life down if they passed on a QB at #3.

Jets fans would buy Barkley jerseys by the boatload. This team doesn't have a star as big as he's about to be.  

32 minutes ago, J!E!T!S! said:

Looks like it happened twice:

1999 (Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith) - others: Culpepper went 11 overall

1971 (Jim Plunkett, Archie Manning, Dan Pastorini) - others: Theisman went in 4th rd.

great so the Jets are taking Akili Smith and Dan Pastorini in this scenario 

I don't like it one bit 

there are 2 QBs at the top end there aren't 3 just cause we need one.  

33 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It's an entertainment business fans are not going to get in their car and buy tickets to watch Josh Allen be QB3 for 4 years 

I hope they do. It will really open things up for the Jets at pick 3. If they don't take Barkley they are either trading the pick or taking a QB. A dream scenario for the Jets IMO would be 

1. Browns- Josh Allen

2. Giants- Saquon Barkley

Then the Jets would have their pick of one of the best 3 QBs in the draft.

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's an entertainment business fans are not going to get in their car and buy tickets to watch Josh Allen be QB3 for 4 years 

Hackenberg was a 2nd round pick. That is vastly different from the #3 overall pick. That is vastly different from spending 3 2nd round picks to get the guy.

there is no way on gods green earth that he will be stuck behind anyone for 4 years. Maybe half the year tops.

Archived