July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

I'm done.  @Long Island Leprechaun is up. 

I was considering both Mario Williams and Lyle Alzado for DE, so I guess this means that I get to pick the guy I really want who will not get nearly enough respect here. My O is actually completely set because I am playing Concrete Charlie at C.  I may be better off selecting 2 defensive players next round for flexibility. Even if I don't I can play Roy Green at nickel back and pull Bednarick (for a rest ;) ). 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm done.  @Long Island Leprechaun is up. 

I was considering both Mario Williams and Lyle Alzado for DE, so I guess this means that I get to pick the guy I really want who will not get nearly enough respect here. My O is actually completely set because I am playing Concrete Charlie at C.  I may be better off selecting 2 defensive players next round for flexibility. Even if I don't I can play Roy Green at nickel back and pull Bednarick (for a rest ;) ). 

I almost took Keith Byars but went with Franco instead

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Nice run of picks lately.  Honey Badger is a guy that I think fits well.  We only get 22 players - it is nice to have a guy who can play S and man cover guys out of the slot.  The Field Mouse, Bob St Clair.  Some nice players.  @Paradis showing his love of undrafted RBs goes for Arian Foster after bitching about me selecting Priest Holmes 3 weeks ago.  It goes to show how these drafts pan out.  I usually would pick one of my top 4 (Earl, Brown, Payton, OJ[on prison discount]) early or wait to the end.  I got scared at the way backs were being snapped up and liked the way Holmes fit so I grabbed him.  Now guys are grabbing Foster and Lewis who I would have been fine with.     

My thought process w Badger is so many people picked 3 WRs...I wanted at least one current player and he’s my personal fave

10 minutes ago, HessStation said:

My last pick needs to be a middle LB. I have three guys in mind. What anyone’s thoughts on picking a predominately great 34 inside LB to play 43 middle? I don’t see it being a big deal if the guy is an all time great but wondering what others think 

I am no expert, but I remember that Vilma was a really good MLB and a really crappy ILB for what that's worth.

40 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I almost took Keith Byars but went with Franco instead

I couldn't take Franco after my back and forth with Paradis.  I also prefer Byars as a blocker and part time TE. Franco is the better overall back, but we've already seen Byars fill these roles. 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I couldn't take Franco after my back and forth with Paradis.  I also prefer Byars as a blocker and part time TE. Franco is the better overall back, but we've already seen Byars fill these roles. 

Byars is a better blocker and definitely a better receiver. I was thinking with him and Allen you could do a lot of different looks on O

Just now, New York Mick said:

Byars is a better blocker and definitely a better receiver. I was thinking with him and Allen you could do a lot of different looks on O

Allen is the kind of superstar back that might still be willing to do some dirty work too.  I'd have to check what the Raiders did with him and Bo in the same backfield. 

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Allen is the kind of superstar back that might still be willing to do some dirty work too.  I'd have to check what the Raiders did with him and Bo in the same backfield. 

Bo Jackson: 2,782 rush yards, 352 receiving yards, 18 touchdowns

Marcus Allen: 2,560 rush yards, 1,093 receiving yards, 28 touchdowns

from bleacher report. 

19 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Bo Jackson: 2,782 rush yards, 352 receiving yards, 18 touchdowns

Marcus Allen: 2,560 rush yards, 1,093 receiving yards, 28 touchdowns

from bleacher report. 

I was more concerned with if he was acting as a blocker or doing something else to help BO get his. 

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

My last pick needs to be a middle LB. I have three guys in mind. What anyone’s thoughts on picking a predominately great 34 inside LB to play 43 middle? I don’t see it being a big deal if the guy is an all time great but wondering what others think 

I just did this with Sam Mills. I was going to go 3-4, but then I liked Clyde Simmons more than I liked the OLB I was gonna pick. 

10 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

They had a FB outside of picking up the blitz neither block much. 

Both Franco Harris and Rocky Bleer blocked for each other. 

I always remember an old interview with Rocky Bleier.  They asked him if he could have the qualities of the ideal RB, what he would take.  He said he would take the body of Jim Brown, the power of Earl Campbell, the moves of Gale Sayers and the acceleration of O.J. and just once he would like to feel the wind in his hair!

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I always remember an old interview with Rocky Bleier.  They asked him if he could have the qualities of the ideal RB, what he would take.  He said he would take the body of Jim Brown, the power of Earl Campbell, the moves of Gale Sayers and the acceleration of O.J. and just once he would like to feel the wind in his hair!

Cool.  And now 30 years later, you could argue for replacing Gale with Barry, maybe someone was faster than OJ, but you wouldn't change JB or Earl's names as nobody has come along since who can do what they did.

On 7/22/2018 at 7:33 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Great job on the Tom Mack pick, @JiF.  Can't believe he lasted this long.  11x Pro Bowler!

Well, my offense is set. Feeling pretty good about the sheer offensive power. Steve Young is a highly accurate passer and put up great numbers as a running QB. Earl Campbell and Leroy Kelly are a dynamic one-two punch. Kelly also was all-world as a punt returner. Offensive line has lots of beef. Antonio Brown and Charley Taylor are nicely complementary and Kellen Winslow is the complete package as a pass-catching TE. Bring it on, suckers... (italics are HOFers)

image.png

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

I just don’t know

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Basically Bo Jackson 

21 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

They had a FB outside of picking up the blitz neither block much. 

Both Franco Harris and Rocky Bleer blocked for each other. 

Had to look up the fullback.  The first Steve Smith.  Before Steve Smith Sr.  A D.C. boy that went to DeMatha like so many before him and since.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Oh! I gotcha. Same thing happened to me. 

I honestly thought you were joking around after that pick. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want Houston over Easley? It’s almost a tie other than Easley is a little more well known bc of age

Archived