July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lith said:

Oh yeah, and how the hell do we get through 440+ picks on a Jets website and not one of you guys picks Wesley Walker.  The Rodney Dangerfield of wide receivers.  The guy gets no respect, not even from Jet fans.

Yeah, I was pretty close to snagging Walker with my last WR pick.  But I couldn't pass on Andre Rison. 

13 minutes ago, Lith said:

Wesley Walls was taken.  Not Walker.

Not a big fan of the Sunny Jurgensen pick -- although that may be because I remember watching the 35+ year old Jurgensen who backed up Billy Kilmer and never saw him play in his prime.

Wes Welker was also taken.  Confusing much?  

A ton of good CBs on the board.  A couple of guys I would have been more likely to take if I needed a starter or a full-time player, but Hammer is a punisher and can be better rolled up to run support.  

I got scared when I saw the pictures of Gradishar that Rulon Jones got picked.  Didn't think anybody would remember him, but there were a few years when he was the best in the game.  

That T that @Dunnie picked played in the 1920s?  From that picture it looks like he was born before the Civil War 

About 5 WRs I would still love.  I am putting an UDFA contract out for Hardy Brown.  He will be a vicious special teamer and on the sidelines drinking during O and D. 

"I didn't really believe the things I'd heard about him, but then I played against him for the first time at Kezar Stadium in'51," said Joe Geri, then a single- wing tailback for the Pittsburgh Steelers. "We ran a trap or something and he threw that shoulder into my eye -- we didn't wear face masks in those days -- and put me down on my back. I was lying there groggy but I managed to ask one of my teammates, `Is it bad?' And he said, `Well, your eye's out.'" It was reported that Geri's eye literally was hanging by a tendon, out of the socket.

5 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

So just to be clear because I’ve been out of the loop these last few days. I’m picking my final 2 players now and they should both be defense because my first 2 picks were both offense?

Yes.  You should end up with 11 of each.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

A ton of good CBs on the board.  A couple of guys I would have been more likely to take if I needed a starter or a full-time player, but Hammer is a punisher and can be better rolled up to run support.  

I got scared when I saw the pictures of Gradishar that Rulon Jones got picked.  Didn't think anybody would remember him, but there were a few years when he was the best in the game.  

That T that @Dunnie picked played in the 1920s?  From that picture it looks like he was born before the Civil War 

About 5 WRs I would still love.  I am putting an UDFA contract out for Hardy Brown.  He will be a vicious special teamer and on the sidelines drinking during O and D. 

"I didn't really believe the things I'd heard about him, but then I played against him for the first time at Kezar Stadium in'51," said Joe Geri, then a single- wing tailback for the Pittsburgh Steelers. "We ran a trap or something and he threw that shoulder into my eye -- we didn't wear face masks in those days -- and put me down on my back. I was lying there groggy but I managed to ask one of my teammates, `Is it bad?' And he said, `Well, your eye's out.'" It was reported that Geri's eye literally was hanging by a tendon, out of the socket.

What corners?

i need one

There are two very similar corners I was close to taking with my last pick.  I went FS instead but if you look, you'll find two guys who were teammates who were both solid enough for this part of the draft and surprisingly (to me) difficult to choose between.  There are also still a few really good old-timers (50s/60s) who would be great picks.

5 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Some nice late picks:

Nyjunc - Bob Kuechenberg

Greenwich - Robert Brazile

Both were on my lists, but Brazile seemed a 3-4 style LB didn't fit my system. Great player.

I'm sure there will be considerable debate about Greenwich's pick at QB, which was a brilliant maneuver, no matter how you feel about Russell Wilson. With Dan Fouts, Len Dawson, Bart Starr, Sammy Baugh, Kenny Stabler, Roman Gabriel, Ken Anderson, Bert Jones still on the board, there were more riches there than any other position at the last pick. Who would have guessed?

Thanks. 7x pro bowler, 6x all-pro, in only 9 seasons on the field! I'm too young to claim to have watched him, but according to everything I researched about him prior to picking him, the guy could cover the pass, stop the run ("consistently ranking at or near the top for the team lead in tackles even though opponents often avoided his side of the field"), and rush the QB like nobody's business.

Originally, Brazile didn't fit my scheme, but when you get a player as talented as him for the value I'm getting in the final round, you make the scheme fit the player. Ultimately, when I decided to switch up my scheme in order to get him, I realized that he was actually exactly the kind of LB I needed for what my D will be running, and his credentials alone are far superior than the other two guys I was going to take for my previous scheme. Plus, I got to take 5x pro bowler, 2x all pro, 1x season sack champ Elvis Dumervil to finish off the new scheme, instead of taking a third rate LB for my previous scheme.

Thanks on the QB maneuver. Knowing I wouldn't have to worry about QB till the end and knowing that other than the 23 picked, I had my choice of the lot was both a blessing and a curse. The amount of time I put into researching all the older guys and thinking about QBs over the last week or so is nuts. I talked to so many ppl from colleagues to friends/family to guys I'm in FF leagues with. There are guys people wouldn't even consider (like 2x all pro, MVP Rich Gannon) who I gave real serious thought to, because if we're basically taking a player at his absolute peak and holding all else constant, you can do much worse than Rich Gannon. I finally narrowed it down to 4 guys yesterday morning, and two guys by the time I picked, and ultimately, went with the guy who:

1) Has the championship pedigree
2) Has the big arm and the finesse to make every throw necessary
3) Has the mobility needed to scramble around and be a game-breaking playmaker
4) Has the intangibles that all of the greats have
5) I actually have seen him play

The only real knocks against him are (1) his height, (2) he gets discredited for playing with that amazing D and Marshawn Lynch. Ultimately, I don't think either of those are really big issues anyway, because if you've seen the guy play - especially last year without any type of defense or running game, he was still an MVP candidate.

Very happy with the guys I picked. For me, I went with guys based on how they were at their peak. So I wasn't really too focused on a guys overall accomplishments.

Also admit I was a bit biased against older players based on on their styles and me not believing they would fit in today's game

32 minutes ago, King P said:

Very happy with the guys I picked. For me, I went with guys based on how they were at their peak. So I wasn't really too focused on a guys overall accomplishments.

Also admit I was a bit biased against older players based on on their styles and me not believing they would fit in today's game

It’s a LEGEND team NOT a today team

Archived