July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

12 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Well, my offense is set. Feeling pretty good about the sheer offensive power. Steve Young is a highly accurate passer and put up great numbers as a running QB. Earl Campbell and Leroy Kelly are a dynamic one-two punch. Kelly also was all-world as a punt returner. Offensive line has lots of beef. Antonio Brown and Charley Taylor are nicely complementary and Kellen Winslow is the complete package as a pass-catching TE. Bring it on, suckers... (italics are HOFers)

image.png

I look at that and I see xxx, xxx, xxx, Earl Campbell, xxx, xxx, Nate Newton, xxx, xxx.  You can just run that play over and over against half the teams a la Wade Phillips.  

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I look at that and I see xxx, xxx, xxx, Earl Campbell, xxx, xxx, Nate Newton, xxx, xxx.  You can just run that play over and over against half the teams a la Wade Phillips.  

LOL. Problem is that we're all putting our high powered offenses against world class defenses. I honestly don't know how you assess that or determine which side breaks. That's why I proposed the dodo race conclusion -- we all win and we all get prizes!

14 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

LOL. Problem is that we're all putting our high powered offenses against world class defenses. I honestly don't know how you assess that or determine which side breaks. That's why I proposed the dodo race conclusion -- we all win and we all get prizes!

You can't objectively.  Everyone thinks their DL will stop that play.  Everyone except me would be wrong but no one will admit it.  Everyone thinks their offense will shred all opposing defenses because it's all HoFers.  The so called voting is going to be a sh-t show.  Your dodo story was perfect.

Here's the thing...is everyone willing to admit what their team's weaknesses are?  Is everyone willing to admit when the opposing team has a good matchup?  For example, I drafted a LB who specifically excelled at roughing up TEs at the line.  He stopped every great TE in his day, but a while back.  I put a lot of thought into that, as I'm sure others have into some of their specific picks.  Will anyone else say "yeah, I can see how Wilcox will neutralize Mackey"?  Even though that's exactly what he did in reality?  I'm hopeful but not very confident in that.  Will they translate that to modern TEs like Gronk?  Again, we'll see.

I know my secondary is probably the weakest unit on my team.  And my RBs are very good historically speaking but not anywhere near the best in this context.  A team with a great OL and diverse passing game will be my toughest matchup.  My team should be a power rushing attacks worst nightmare.  I can make all those arguments on both sides but will it mean anything against "BUT I HAVE JOHNNY UNITAS HANDING OFF TO GALE SAYERS!!!!".  No idea.  It's hard to not be emotionally attached after all this effort has been put in.

14 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I honestly thought you were joking around after that pick. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want Houston over Easley? It’s almost a tie other than Easley is a little more well known bc of age

True! I don’t know why its bothersome to me. Houston was a 12-time Pro Bowler, two-time first team All Pro. 49 picks, 9 defensive TDs. I think it’s just because I didn’t see him play. I’m self-flagellating. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

True! I don’t know why its bothersome to me. Houston was a 12-time Pro Bowler, two-time first team All Pro. 49 picks, 9 defensive TDs. I think it’s just because I didn’t see him play. I’m self-flagellating. 

I actually completely understand unfortunately I don’t know what that says about either of us.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Take that sh-t to the JN RV.

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

@Lith One small quibble: the spreadsheet has me drafting Bob St Clair. I believe that was @#27TheDominator. I drafted Jamal Lewis. 

15 minutes ago, HessStation said:

That was me one pick ahead 

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Wasn't me.  I mentioned it, but I think it was @HessStation

Got it fixed.  Jamal Lerwis at 441 to T0m; Hess took Bob St Clair at 443.  

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

In the grand scheme everyone knows their teams, **** the spreadsheet at this pt. It’s the last rd

I am in a weird spot.  I need another DE to run a fairly standard 3-4.  Because I have Bednarick going both ways I have an extra pick that I should be able to use on O or D.  I figure that nobody is going to accept that the guy can compete for an entire game on both sides of the ball, so I need to be able to rest him and it seems like D would be where to do it.  Drafting another C would be a disaster.  I can swing Roy Green over to the defensive side, but while he started at DB, he did not truly excel.  

I can pick another DE and move my 3-4 DE inside and then run a standard 4-3 or use Green for the nickel, or I can pick another top shelf CB to play nickel with Night Train and Wehrli.  Alternatively, I can pick another offensive weapon - either a FB or TE that can let me run a standard O, another RB to spell Priest Holmes.  I can also draft another killer WR - there are at least 4 that I had been seriously considering that will still be available.  

I guess 440 picks is my limit. 

Started screwing things up in the last 30 or so picks - next year we need to limit to 20 teams and 440 picks.  I can't be held repssonsible for anything beyond pick 440.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am in a weird spot.  I need another DE to run a fairly standard 3-4.  Because I have Bednarick going both ways I have an extra pick that I should be able to use on O or D.  I figure that nobody is going to accept that the guy can compete for an entire game on both sides of the ball, so I need to be able to rest him and it seems like D would be where to do it.  Drafting another C would be a disaster.  I can swing Roy Green over to the defensive side, but while he started at DB, he did not truly excel.  

I can pick another DE and move my 3-4 DE inside and then run a standard 4-3 or use Green for the nickel, or I can pick another top shelf CB to play nickel with Night Train and Wehrli.  Alternatively, I can pick another offensive weapon - either a FB or TE that can let me run a standard O, another RB to spell Priest Holmes.  I can also draft another killer WR - there are at least 4 that I had been seriously considering that will still be available.  

I think you need to consider Bednarik a center for all intents and do whatever makes most sense on D in that equation 

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

I think you need to consider Bednarik a center for all intents and do whatever makes most sense on D in that equation 

Yeah. I am kind of pissed about it because most of my "fun" picks are on O.  Actually, I have one on D and I am taking him no matter what this round. A guy you all forgot about.  Get ready to be reminded!

37 minutes ago, Lith said:

I guess 440 picks is my limit. 

Started screwing things up in the last 30 or so picks - next year we need to limit to 20 teams and 440 picks.  I can't be held repssonsible for anything beyond pick 440.

As always, your work and patience is very appreciated, Lith. I’m not sure how you don’t lose your mind doing this time-consuming sh*t for these ingrate wanks.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As always, your work and patience is very appreciated, Lith. I’m not sure how you don’t lose your mind doing this time-consuming sh*t for these ingrate wanks.

What makes you think that I have not lost my mind?  Why else would I agree to do stuff like this.  I always enjoy doing it at the beginning and hate it by the time we finish up. 

In all honesty, I am losing my mind and I am barely keeping track.  Thanks a ton @Lith and @nycdan and whoever the hell else is involved.  I talk some sh*t on here, but please feel free to ignore it.  I enjoy trash talk, but whatever you guys decide is cool with me.  Thanks to @Paradis for getting this started.  Any updates on your son?  That is some scary sh*t.  

NEXT YEAR full 53 man rosters!  

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

In all honesty, I am losing my mind and I am barely keeping track.  Thanks a ton @Lith and @nycdan and whoever the hell else is involved.  I talk some sh*t on here, but please feel free to ignore it.  I enjoy trash talk, but whatever you guys decide is cool with me.  Thanks to @Paradis for getting this started.  Any updates on your son?  That is some scary sh*t.  

NEXT YEAR full 53 man rosters!  

Son is at home and on his way to a full recovery (thank god, seriously). Things are good at home. We're gonna be alright. Thanks for asking--

And @Lith you are a treasure. You put in so much elbow grease for us here at the looney bin, the unsung hero of Jet forum commisery. Thanks for picking up the slack where I was supposed to.  

+thanks to @Jetsfan80 as well for all the heavy lifting

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Son is at home and on his way to a full recovery (thank god, seriously). Things are good at home. We're gonna be alright. Thanks for asking--

And @Lith you are a treasure. You put in so much elbow grease for us here at the looney bin, the unsung hero of Jet forum commisery. Thanks for picking up the slack where I was supposed to.  

@Jetsfan80 is who I forgot to thank?  I'm good with that. ;)

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

This was your fvckin idea.  I hold your responsible or these last two weeks of my life.  Spending two days putting together a spreadsheet.  Then for 12 days after that, I am an internet loser living on this site, monitoring a fake NFL draft while a bunch of fellow internet loser wannabe GMs put together make pretend teams of former players both dead and alive.  My dead guy DL would dominate your dead guy OL. They are both dead, nobody is dominating anybody. 

Although on the bright side, this was a welcome distraction from the Mets for two weeks, so thank you for that.

I would not do sh*t like this if I did not enjoy doing it.  Any excuse to talk football during the offseason.  And our timing is perfect, wrap this thing up on the same day training camp starts.

Great news on your son, genuinely happy for you and your family.

Oh yeah, and how the hell do we get through 440+ picks on a Jets website and not one of you guys picks Wesley Walker.  The Rodney Dangerfield of wide receivers.  The guy gets no respect, not even from Jet fans.

Oh yeah, and @Stark make your pick so we can get moving and finish this thing today.

Some nice late picks:

Nyjunc - Bob Kuechenberg

Greenwich - Robert Brazile

Both were on my lists, but Brazile seemed a 3-4 style LB didn't fit my system. Great player.

I'm sure there will be considerable debate about Greenwich's pick at QB, which was a brilliant maneuver, no matter how you feel about Russell Wilson. With Dan Fouts, Len Dawson, Bart Starr, Sammy Baugh, Kenny Stabler, Roman Gabriel, Ken Anderson, Bert Jones still on the board, there were more riches there than any other position at the last pick. Who would have guessed?

1 hour ago, Lith said:

This was your fvckin idea.  I hold your responsible or these last two weeks of my life.  Spending two days putting together a spreadsheet.  Then for 12 days after that, I am an internet loser living on this site, monitoring a fake NFL draft while a bunch of fellow internet loser wannabe GMs put together make pretend teams of former players both dead and alive.  My dead guy DL would dominate your dead guy OL. They are both dead, nobody is dominating anybody. 

Although on the bright side, this was a welcome distraction from the Mets for two weeks, so thank you for that.

I would not do sh*t like this if I did not enjoy doing it.  Any excuse to talk football during the offseason.  And our timing is perfect, wrap this thing up on the same day training camp starts.

Great news on your son, genuinely happy for you and your family.

Oh yeah, and how the hell do we get through 440+ picks on a Jets website and not one of you guys picks Wesley Walker.  The Rodney Dangerfield of wide receivers.  The guy gets no respect, not even from Jet fans.

Oh yeah, and @Stark make your pick so we can get moving and finish this thing today.

I thought I saw Wesley taken.  I would have picked him over Jimmy Smith just for pure nostalgia preseasons.  

That said, my offense is disgusting and nobody can stop me.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I thought I saw Wesley taken.  I would have picked him over Jimmy Smith just for pure nostalgia preseasons.  

That said, my offense is disgusting and nobody can stop me.

Wesley Walls was taken.  Not Walker.

Not a big fan of the Sunny Jurgensen pick -- although that may be because I remember watching the 35+ year old Jurgensen who backed up Billy Kilmer and never saw him play in his prime.

Archived