July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

I'm here but don't have the time to make the picks now.  I can make them tonight or tomorrow morning but I will make sure to pick.

Thanks.  Sounds good -- you will probably be closing us out when you get to pick. 

2 hours ago, BigO said:

It’s a LEGEND team NOT a today team

Well, that may be correct in part, but it should be a legend team that actually is coherent and fits your scheme as well. Any monkey can pick a bunch of players with HOF or pro bowls after their name and say they'll adjust. That should be a consideration in voting for teams.

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Well, that may be correct in part, but it should be a legend team that actually is coherent and fits your scheme as well. Any monkey can pick a bunch of players with HOF or pro bowls after their name and say they'll adjust. That should be a consideration in voting for teams.

And any jackass can think he’s a thoroughbred horse.

4 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I paid careful attention to making sure I got a LG and a RG, a LT and a RT, and a LDE and a RDE for my lineups.  Not just grabbing two guys and assume one would move over.  Did I pass up a slightly more talented player who would have had to move out of position?  Not sure but possibly.  But I stuck to my plan.  All my guys played in a 4-3 defense.  Pretty much all my OL are quick and can pull.  I probably put way more thought into this than I should have but it was fun so the satisfaction was in the process. 

Now comes the part where you clowns tell me why Gene Upshaw doesn't have a chance in hell of blocking 'Random DT #2 from the 2000s' because size and speed...  

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I paid careful attention to making sure I got a LG and a RG, a LT and a RT, and a LDE and a RDE for my lineups.  Not just grabbing two guys and assume one would move over.  Did I pass up a slightly more talented player who would have had to move out of position?  Not sure but possibly.  But I stuck to my plan.  All my guys played in a 4-3 defense.  Pretty much all my OL are quick and can pull.  I probably put way more thought into this than I should have but it was fun so the satisfaction was in the process. 

Now comes the part where you clowns tell me why Gene Upshaw doesn't have a chance in hell of blocking 'Random DT #2 from the 2000s' because size and speed...  

Me too. All I'm saying is that it would be a plus if someone can imagine these players playing together in a coordinated fashion and not bumping into each other or flaming out.

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Exactly. Only a jackass would make such an argument as this. Your team should be judged based on the value of the player and how he dominated THEIR era. Upshaw, for instance, was an absolute BEAST. He was like King Kong on that Raider OL. I saw him play throughout his entire career and no one to this date comes close. Then you have a guy in the 40’s or 50’s who was a HOF T or HOF DT that is way lighter than today’s standards. Totally different era going up against totally different level of athletes BUT they TOTALLY dominated. This particular scenario has to hold more weight than a player today who’s rated very good compared to a HOF player from the golden era. Of course schemes are taken into account. 

F62FF6D9-42F8-4E52-8BF0-92E5B6FDAA35.gif

4 minutes ago, BigO said:

Exactly. Only a jackass would make such an argument as this. Your team should be judged based on the value of the player and how he dominated THEIR era. Upshaw, for instance, was an absolute BEAST. He was like King Kong on that Raider OL. I saw him play throughout his entire career and no one to this date comes close. Then you have a guy in the 40’s or 50’s who was a HOF T or HOF DT that is way lighter than today’s standards. Totally different era going up against totally different level of athletes BUT they TOTALLY dominated. This particular scenario has to hold more weight than a player today who’s rated very good compared to a HOF player from the golden era. Of course schemes are taken into account. 

F62FF6D9-42F8-4E52-8BF0-92E5B6FDAA35.gif

Totally agreed.  But looking at this honestly, I am probably just as likely to overvalue the guys I grew up watching - Upshaw, Mean Joe, Earl, OJ, etc. as opposed to the guys from before that era.  I get it and it'll take some effort to really look at the whole of each team.  But yes, the system matters.  Part of the challenge was trying to stay true to that system as we got into the deeper rounds.  I have areas where I am not super happy, but I expected that and did the best I could with the players on the board.  Most of you were brutal in taking guys I wanted right before my pick.  

19 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Me too. All I'm saying is that it would be a plus if someone can imagine these players playing together in a coordinated fashion and not bumping into each other or flaming out.

My sinister plan was to grab as many Steel Curtain guys as I could.  Was doing well with Greene and Lambert but someone snagged Blount way quicker than I expected (not that he wasn't worth the pick there) and then Ham went.  I was hoping to sneak in Donnie Shell but couldn't quite get there in time.  In a 12-team league that can actually work and it's certainly answers the system question :)

24 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Totally agreed.  But looking at this honestly, I am probably just as likely to overvalue the guys I grew up watching - Upshaw, Mean Joe, Earl, OJ, etc. as opposed to the guys from before that era.  I get it and it'll take some effort to really look at the whole of each team.  But yes, the system matters.  Part of the challenge was trying to stay true to that system as we got into the deeper rounds.  I have areas where I am not super happy, but I expected that and did the best I could with the players on the board.  Most of you were brutal in taking guys I wanted right before my pick.  

That’s where your GM wits have to take over. There are only so many ‘elite’ players at every position. How we all approached our teams is quite interesting. Whether some valued DL over OL over WR over secondary is how this all plays out.i stayed religious to my formula instead of jumping all over the place with best player available because ultimately, you’re going to have to select 2nd tier players.

33 minutes ago, nycdan said:

My sinister plan was to grab as many Steel Curtain guys as I could.  Was doing well with Greene and Lambert but someone snagged Blount way quicker than I expected (not that he wasn't worth the pick there) and then Ham went.  I was hoping to sneak in Donnie Shell but couldn't quite get there in time.  In a 12-team league that can actually work and it's certainly answers the system question :)

I think this exercise has convinced me they were the greatest defense, 85 Bears close second. then probably Tampa Bay, 60’s Green Bay... 

My receivers and backs are prolific, but lack speed and I biffed my LB corps a bit with Sean Lee and Sam Mills playing out of position. But, I love my o-line, secondary, and d-line, and Big Ben to Keith Jackson would be immortal. All in all, I’m a B- squad, but this was fun to play. It’s fun to reminisce about these old players you forgot about when the league was actually appointment television. 

9 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I wonder whoever took LT what their back side front 7 looks like. Bc I might just toss sweep to Bo like it’s techno bowl all game ftw.

LT, Zach Thomas, Tippett, Buoniconti.  Yeah, I'd run away from LT.

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

I’d run over Thomas

He does seem to be the weak link there.  He was a great player but could you imagine what would happen if Brown or Czonka hit him full steam?  Or god forbid Earl lowered that helmet into him!

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

He does seem to be the weak link there.  He was a great player but could you imagine what would happen if Brown or Czonka hit him full steam?  Or god forbid Earl lowered that helmet into him!

He was good for racking up tackles 7 yards down field. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

My receivers and backs are prolific, but lack speed and I biffed my LB corps a bit with Sean Lee and Sam Mills playing out of position. But, I love my o-line, secondary, and d-line, and Big Ben to Keith Jackson would be immortal. All in all, I’m a B- squad, but this was fun to play. It’s fun to reminisce about these old players you forgot about when the league was actually appointment television. 

Never forget

Just now, New York Mick said:

Didn’t both Kearse (DE) Sapp (DT) play in the 4/3

Sapp did some DE/DT with TB... Kearse, mostly 4/3 end. It's a not a proper 4-3 - I'd have Miller coming down to play DE more often. 

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Sapp did some DE/DT with TB... Kearse, mostly 4/3 end. It's a not a proper 4-3 - I'd have Miller coming down to play DE more often. 

Got ya. I’m doing the same thing. I purposely picked LBs who could play DE & OLB and Suh who can play DE or DT. It fits the defensive scheme. 

Archived