Sign in to follow this  
VinnyT16

The state of NY sports..Where do the Jets rank in terms of future?

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I hate to say it, but Porzingis is never going to be the same player again.  This isn't the NFL where guys recover from torn ACL's left and right.  Having a guy that tall suffer an injury like that is really bad for his future.  Especially since he was having issues avoiding lesser injuries already. 

I know the doctors say he'll come back better than ever, but I just don't think that will be the case.  He's a "Unicorn" for a reason:  With transcendent play and a unique skillset comes heavy risk simply because of his body type.  It's a double-edged sword. 

Why the Knicks should trade Porzingis for Butler and draft picks

The real unicorns are Knox, Robinson and Ntilikina 

Put Butler with that young core they make the playoffs this year

The Yankees are set up to win championships, they are clearly #1.  After that it's muddy, no teams close to competing for titles but I think we'd be #2 on this list.  We have the young QB, we have a lot of young talent, we will have second most cap room in the league.  We will be entering a great era of Jets football especially when Brady retires in the coming years.

Lundvist has not given up more than 2 goals in a game yet this season. Rangers got beat on a power play goal today on one of the worst penalty calls I've ever seen. They are in every game and playing better already. Probably won't make the playoffs this year, but they should pick up a bunch of picks at the deadline again. They play hard and are very competitive in the midst of rebuilding. Won't be long before they are back in the mix.

On 10/10/2018 at 9:21 PM, VinnyT16 said:

I thought that this would be a good thread after the Yankee debacle last night. I’ve been following sports in this town all my life as a Jets, Yankees, Rangers, and Knicks fan, and I can’t recall a more down period. In contrast this is obvioulsy the gilded age for Boston professional sports with the Pats, Red Sox, Bruins, and Celtics all awesome at the same time. 

Here are my rankings (best chance to be good the fastest)

#1 Yankees-Team looks great on paper, but the pieces don’t seem to fit well. The good news for the Yankees is that they can pretty much fix all their problems in one offseason thanks to deep pockets and talent rich farm system. 

#2 Knicks-The Knicks have been the worst NBA team over the past 20 years, but I think their luck will change soon. Kevin Knox looks like the real deal and they will have the cap space to add a big free agent in 2019 to partner with Knox and KP. The eastern conference is also terrible! Kevin Durant anyone? 

#3 Mets-Tremendous rotation with DeGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler, and Matz. They also look to have the makings of a good young nucleus with McNeil, Rosario, Conforto, and Alonso. The issue for them is that Atlanta and Philadelphia are only going to get better, and the Wilpons won’t spend enough to close the gap. 

#4 Islanders-They are going to be better than people expect this year as Matt Barzal is one the best players in the league nobody has ever heard of. Also trust Lou Lamorillo and Barry Trotz to build a winner. Still probably at least 2 years away from being true contenders, but could make the playoffs this season. 

#5 Nets-They finally own their draft pick this year, but they don’t suck enough to finish with a top 3 lottery pick. Also don’t see a big free agent going to Brooklyn when the Knicks have cap space.  That said the eastern conference is terrible and I could definitely see them as a top 5-6 seed in the playoffs by 2019. 

#6 Giants-The only reason I put the Giants over the Jets is that they have an outside shot of making the playoffs this year because their  division sucks. The Giants have a record of 4-17 in their last 21 games which is hard to fathom given the talent on their roster. 

#7 Jets-The Jets have talent and Sam Darnold should have a bright future, but until they find a real head coach I have no confidence in this team being competitive in a division with the Patriots. 

#8 Rangers- The Rangers are trash right now. It’s an odd combination of mediocre veterans and very young/raw talent that are forced to play in bigger roles than they are ready for. Throw in the fact that they are paying Henrik 10MM a year to tend goal on an awful team, and you have sh*t show on your hands. 

No idea how you get these rankings. I'll fix them for you.

1. Yankees - loaded for now, loaded for the future. Love em or hate em, there's not much else to say.
  2. Devils - have a young core, including a Hart trophy winner and #1 pick, and got back to the playoffs last year. People forget that aside from the Yankees, this is has been the most consistent area team in terms of making the playoffs over the past 2-3 decades.
  3. Rangers - this team is absolute dogspit right now (and I love to see it). But, they've finally positioned themselves for a full blown rebuild that will next year net (probably) them a top 3 lottery and 2 really big free agents, including maybe Erik Karlsson. The Rangers might be the #1 "destination" team in this area, meaning a team that players around the league want to come to -- even over the Yankees.
  4. Jets - The Jets are kind of in purgatory. It's easy to say the arrow is trending straight up because of Sam Darnold, and I wouldn't argue too hard with you. But the rest of the roster is kind of bare bones, and the guys driving the ship are kind of idiots. Next offseason will determine whether the Jets go to #2 or #7 on this list.
  5. Nets - The Nets are in great GM / HC hands with Sean Marks and Kenny Atkinson, which is maybe the most important thing you can say about an NBA team that isn't the Warriors these days. In a year or two people will be talking about Atkinson the same way they talk about Brad Stevens. The guy is a savant. What's more is that Marks has quietly and competently built a pretty solid young core that includes some long rangy wings (Levert and RHJ), a very young center with a ton of potential (Allen), and a former top 3 pick with superstar potential (DLo). What's MORE is that the Nets will finally be out of the shadow of the dreadful Billy King / Celtics deal next year--- they will have a lotto pick, additional first rounder, and cap room for 2 max deals. Knicks fans will loudly protest that "no one cares about the Nets" - and maybe they're right - but from a basketball perspective, I think the Nets are clearly set up better.
  6. Giants - The Giants are kind of a weird one to peg. They have a better pedigree than most teams on this list, and it wouldn't surprise anyone to see them get the ship righted in a few years. But they've also been absolutely abysmal for most of the past 5 years, and don't have the fix at the game's most important position that the Jets have. What they do have is two of the most transcendent talents in the game, and an owner that knows what he's doing. Like the Jets, they could go up or down next offseason.
  7. Knicks - The Unicorn's ACL has detonated, Joakim Noah counts $18+ million against the cap, and Tim Hardaway is owed $50 million more. I do like Knox and Mitchell Robinson. Talk to me when they sign Durant and draft Zion.
  8. Mets - Can the MLB force a sale of a team? If they can, they should, for the sake of the tri-state area and the fans of this God forsaken team. If the Yankees were literally any other team, the Mets would have unloaded Degrom for a huge haul of team-controlled, MLB ready players at important positions. Instead, the Mets will hoard their pitching riches to no end whatsoever. They area easily the lowest ranked team that should be way higher, if they weren't a moneyball team in the country's largest market.
  9. Islanders - John Tavares is a dirty, filthy traitor and I don't blame any Isles fan who will forever harbor the levels of disdain that I still do for Ilya Kovalchuk. Matt Barzal is the goods, and the Isles are another team with a good GM / HC combo, but they currently suffer from a dearth of talent in net and on the blue line. OP saying they could make the playoffs this year almost made me spit out my coffee. Oh, and the scoreboard is still on the blue line.

On 10/11/2018 at 10:05 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

I hate to say it, but Porzingis is never going to be the same player again.  This isn't the NFL where guys recover from torn ACL's left and right.  Having a guy that tall suffer an injury like that is really bad for his future.  Especially since he was having issues avoiding lesser injuries already. 

I know the doctors say he'll come back better than ever, but I just don't think that will be the case.  He's a "Unicorn" for a reason:  With transcendent play and a unique skillset comes heavy risk simply because of his body type.  It's a double-edged sword. 

Basketball really does seem to be the only sport left where they can't figure out how to get the guy back to where he was after an ACL tear. There's something about the lateral mobility needed on a basketball court specifically that is still giving them fits. For almost all the other major team and individual sports they seem to have it down. That said it only seems like a matter of time, so it's hard to count anyone out because someone has to be the experimental breakthrough eventually.

I was listening to a podcast with some famous German dude a while back and he was explaining that we are possibly about 7-10 years away from an ACL injury being short-term. They'll basically just fix the tear and the rehab will only be a few weeks.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Basketball really does seem to be the only sport left where they can't figure out how to get the guy back to where he was after an ACL tear. There's something about the lateral mobility needed on a basketball court specifically that is still giving them fits. For almost all the other major team and individual sports they seem to have it down. That said it only seems like a matter of time, so it's hard to count anyone out because someone has to be the experimental breakthrough eventually.

I was listening to a podcast with some famous German dude a while back and he was explaining that we are possibly about 7-10 years away from an ACL injury being short-term. They'll basically just fix the tear and the rehab will only be a few weeks.

If "a while back" was around 7 years ago, KP will be ok!

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I definitely wish him the best.  I'm not a Knicks fan (I'm a fairweather Nets fan who prefers the college game to the NBA), but the NBA is better when the Knicks are contenders.  KP is a ton of fun to watch. 

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Knicks need to trade Porzingis for picks before he loses all value