Jamal Adams is Playing at an Elite Level

GreenFish

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, CTM said:

Even if he grades as a top 5 safety, he still doesnt turn the ball over and wasnt a good pick @1.6 unless your strategy was to land a solid player at a low value position, which seems like a poor strategy. Imo he needs to Ed Reed to justify the draft slot.

Glad goes gotten better and for sure is one of our best players but we have one of the worst rosters in the football sport so that statement needs context.

So you need to draft the best safety of all time in order to justify taking a safety at 6 overall? I mean really? Look, I get the Jets suck at drafting but this is an incredibly ridiculous bar to set.

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So you need to draft the best safety of all time in order to justify taking a safety at 6 overall? I mean really? Look, I get the Jets suck at drafting but this is an incredibly ridiculous bar to set.

I think the only safeties drafted top 5 in the past 25 years were Eric berry and Sean Taylor. Why do you think that is?

5 hours ago, GreenFish said:

I think the other interesting thing to see is how will he play when he's not asked to do it all and has some help. I think if the Jets properly address the edge position, that's going to elevate Adams a bit more. 

As it stands, TE's have been held in check all year. That's partly Adams, and partly Lee. But we don't get torched by TEs and backs coming out of the backfield any more. Even athletic guys like Njokue, Gronk and Burton have been held in check. And guys like Duke Johnson, and McCoy did not have an impact in the passing game. 

We face Gronk and Jimmy Graham in the coming weeks. Going to be interesting how he holds against Gronk again and how he does against Graham. 

I don't see him being the type to get tons of INTs. Just doesn't seem like he has the hands. But considering how much he has improved in coverage, I'll just wait and see. 

Can’t emphasise the bolded enough. There’s a reason we’ve been one of the worst defences for INTS in years, it’s the pass rush stoopid!!!!

until we get an edge rush that can in turn free up the interior guys to bring pressure up the middle which in turn will give blitzzing linebackers or safeties a free run to the QB then we will continue, as we have for nearly 20 years, to allow even the most average QB’s in the league to pick us apart. They have all day back there while we ‘rush’ four 300 pound DT’s who look for all the world like they are playing in glue. Even Rex couldn’t solve that puzzle and his smoke and mirrors eventually got found out by the elite guys in the AFC Championship games. 

This all means that for years our secondary has struggled to get picks. It’s not just Jamal, it’s everyone. Until we start forcing opposing QB’s into rushing throws and confusing them with well designed blitzes and coverages(not happening under Kacy) then those errant throws are just not there for anyone in our secondary. 

BTW @GreenFish I wasn’t actually calling you ‘stoopid’ but you get what I mean

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I thought this thread would be the most nauseating thing I saw today but then I just watched a Sonic commercial advertising something called a “Fritos Meat Pie.” Then again; the Fritos Meat Pie could probably hold Gronkowski to 4/75/1td

Hmmmm...you’re trying a little too hard now

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Even if he grades as a top 5 safety, he still doesnt turn the ball over and wasnt a good pick @1.6 unless your strategy was to land a solid player at a low value position, which seems like a poor strategy. Imo he needs to Ed Reed to justify the draft slot.

Glad goes gotten better and for sure is one of our best players but we have one of the worst rosters in the football sport so that statement needs context.

Ed Reed landed in an all-time great defense that stayed upper-echelon his entire career. For sure he was a part of that greatness but so too were guys like Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Adalius Thomas, Peter Boulware, Ngata, Chris McAlister, Dawan Landry etc etc. Look back at those teams and it wasn’t just Reed getting INTS , they all were. That talent and the aggressive scheme made a huge difference and allowed Reed to flourish. Jamal Adams has nothing close around him

I don't know if Adams is an all-pro, but he should definitely get votes for it and be damn close if he's not. The dude's all over the field, backing up his words. And he is a good leader for whatever that means on a sinking ship like the Jets are right now. 

I still don't see how people can claim he wasn't worth it at 6 last year, he's becoming everything the draft prognosticators said he would be and was the most logical and surefire pick. Don't give me the "but he's not a QB" line, neither of the available guys left were assured of being quality as Mal was, you have to take that into account. 

9 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

I don't know if Adams is an all-pro, but he should definitely get votes for it and be damn close if he's not. The dude's all over the field, backing up his words. And he is a good leader for whatever that means on a sinking ship like the Jets are right now. 

I still don't see how people can claim he wasn't worth it at 6 last year, he's becoming everything the draft prognosticators said he would be and was the most logical and surefire pick. Don't give me the "but he's not a QB" line, neither of the available guys left were assured of being quality as Mal was, you have to take that into account. 

If the talent evaluators really disliked Watson and mahomes then Addams was the best pick they could make in that spot but it also proves you need new talent evaluators.

I am an Addams fan and a self proclaimed college football novice but for such a QB starved team for so long to pass on both QBs and to see both hit is a kick in the d*ck

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Because Jamal Adams was taken at 6?

What is your point? Gholston was also a bad pick. He was a stiff who played a premium position, I was never a fan but the positional value of someone who can pressure the QB is high, a safety is not 

28 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

If you check out the 2016 draft thread, I think @Patriot Killa was the one who bumped it last week, you’ll see hardly anyone wanted a QB. At least not at 6. Their was plenty of love for Adams on draft night. The few who wanted Mahomes, wanted to trade back, or pick him in the 2nd or 3rd round lol. Just about the same thing with Watson. Nobody wanted him at 6 either. They either wanted Jamal, Lattimore, the Bama TE, or Hooker. I’d bet last season, before Watson got hurt, everyone claimed they wanted him. The same way this year everyone now says they wanted Mahomes.

9 minutes ago, CTM said:

What is your point? Gholston was also a bad pick. He was a stiff who played a premium position, I was never a fan but the positional value of someone who can pressure the QB is high a safety is not 

I love Adams, but to your credit, I remember you saying the same thing about taking a safety back on draft night 2016. You’re one of the very few here who aren’t using hindsight.

People were not uniformly high on Watson-thought he was not enough of a pocket QB, thought his arm was not strong enough for the NE.

There was concern that Mahomes could not be a pocket passer.  

Many thought that Jamal would not make it to 6.

Obviously Dorsey and Reid knew what they were doing when they evaluated Mahomes.  Based on the last 2 years, QBs will not drop again like Watson and Mahomes did.

Derwin is a player very close to Adams-and he was picked much further down.  Derwin was picked in the more natural spot.  

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

If you check out the 2016 draft thread, I think @Patriot Killa was the one who bumped it last week, you’ll see hardly anyone wanted a QB. At least not at 6. Their was plenty of love for Adams on draft night. The few who wanted Mahomes, wanted to trade back, or pick him in the 2nd or 3rd round lol. Just about the same thing with Watson. Nobody wanted him at 6 either. They either wanted Jamal, Lattimore, the Bama TE, or Hooker. I’d bet last season, before Watson got hurt, everyone claimed they wanted him. The same way this year everyone now says they wanted Mahomes.

Yep and I did that to show just how people really felt about Patrick Mahomes. I don’t blame them. I felt the same. He came from a gimmick air raid system and had video game numbers. Who wouldn’t be weary of that at 6? But when they flip the script and act like we should of went Mahomes all the way.....yeah...you all knew you wanted someone else at 6. We talked about this all 2017, JetsNation. We wanted our guy in 2018. We screamed “Suck For Sam”.

That’s actually what happened so how are you people mad?

btw that wasn’t a question I want any of you to answer. I’m actually only submitting this comment because I typed so much before I came to the realization that I’m really not up for a debate on this beaten-to-death topic anymore. I’ve argued enough about it. 

Just accept the Pro Bowl/Future All-Pro and let’s watch Darnold grow.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

People were not uniformly high on Watson-thought he was not enough of a pocket QB, thought his arm was not strong enough for the NE.

There was concern that Mahomes could not be a pocket passer.  

Many thought that Jamal would not make it to 6.

Obviously Dorsey and Reid knew what they were doing when they evaluated Holmes.  Based on the last 2 years, QBs will not drop again like Watson and Mahomes did.

Derwin is a player very close to Adams-and he was picked much further down.  Derwin was picked in the more natural spot.  

We all held our breath as the Bears and Titans picked. He was slotted to go in the top 3-5

36 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

We all held our breath as the Bears and Titans picked. He was slotted to go in the top 3-5

I think that draft was the last gasp of the old Defensive NFL.

Based on what we know now, i think the 2017 draft goes much differently.  

7 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Thanks for posting this, I personally couldn’t be arsed to go back and check but this certainly chimes with my recollection. Absolutely nobody was banging the table for a QB at six and if anything the complaint was that it was a terrible year to be picking high and looking for a QB  and typical SOJ luck that there wasn’t a franchise QB that year because if anyone thought Mahomes or Watson were that good then they wiukdn’t Be getting picked at 10 or below. Those passers go top 1 or 2.

I think people were already looking ahead to the next year and Darnold & Rosen

funny thing is you can;t move these days for people crawling out of the woodwork acting like they knew all along that Mahomes would throw 40 TD’S his first season

Archived