Jets Should Try To Sign Who In Free Agency. My Answer.

Tony The Wiz

When looking at the Jets Roster and looking at who is available in this Free Agency we have to figure out what position talent wise is out there that will better for us the most. Then we have to say what is the most important position in football. Beside QB you say OT, CB, and a DE/LB that can rush the passer. Those are my three. So let us see who is out there and who is in the draft.  So first start with our tackles. We see Carpenter, Beachum, Ijailana, Shell and Smith. Do we need to upgrade this position? Kelvum Beachum was our highest graded ot with 66 grade. The Jets offensive line was better than just 7 other teams in the NFL. So this is where I start.  So looking at the free agency group we see 2 OT free agents. One from the Dreaded Patriots, Trent Brown and the other Daryl Williams from the Carolina Panthers.  Two reasons my priority is to sign Brown over Williams. One get him away from the Patriots and the other he has a 71.0 Grade which is an Above average ranking. While Williams actually is rated 64.9 which Beachum is 65.9.   And Brown is only 26 years old.   So Jets sign this guy.  I hear the Bills are looking at him.

Tony The Wiz   ???

???

Beachem is a fine player at $8 million.  If we trade back and want to take Jonah Williams to sit a year and then take over, I have no problem with that.  But Brown didnt have a great regular season and had a great post season, with Tom Brady as his QB and Dante as the Oline coach.  I dont see him as someone you give elite LT money to.

Plus theres a huge difference when you look at Osmele and Brown.  Osele got PAID and had an elite year, so theres a fair assumption (esp when factoring in his weight loss) that he cares about football enough to not mail it in after he gets signed.  Brown has given us no such evidence (as is the case with most first time FAs) so he far riskier

29 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Beachem is a fine player at $8 million.  If we trade back and want to take Jonah Williams to sit a year and then take over, I have no problem with that.  But Brown didnt have a great regular season and had a great post season, with Tom Brady as his QB and Dante as the Oline coach.  I dont see him as someone you give elite LT money to.

Plus theres a huge difference when you look at Osmele and Brown.  Osele got PAID and had an elite year, so theres a fair assumption (esp when factoring in his weight loss) that he cares about football enough to not mail it in after he gets signed.  Brown has given us no such evidence (as is the case with most first time FAs) so he far riskier

Don't get me wrong I like the signing and just hope Kelechee is recovered from that Knee and toe injury. But he is going to be 30 and has had 7 years of football. His Guard rating did plummet to 53.7 last year. So we have to pray it goes back to the 80s when he was the top guard with David Locastro.  Look the Bills are looking at Brown and you can't find an OT this year. He has the highest rating and he is only 26. Now if he wants crazy money than say bye bye. But at least entertain it.  

7 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Wouldn't Trent Brown be an upgrade in the running game? The guys is almost 400 pounds.

If they made the same money for the same length of time, then yes that argument could work (if its actually factually correct).  The difference is Beachem has 1 year at a reasonable salary left and Brown will cost us $30 guaranteed with at least 3 years of cap hits if he busts.

Hes not good enough to force it. Once Sam plays well this year (which he will) we can likely find a Andre Witworth who wants to join an up an coming young team, for 2-3 good years, if we dont find someone in the draft.

8 hours ago, The12th Man said:

Its why they all seemingly regress. Cant sign special treatment.

Look we have a 2nd year QB and that left tackle needs to be an above arage to a goos football player. To get a great Player you have to pray in the draft you can discover one. So I would  rather start the season with Beachum at guard and Brown with his 71 rating at left tackle. At Right tackle will be Shell who has an average 62.7 rating. Winters has the same 62.7 rating.  I would move Beachum and his 66 rating inside and draft a Center in the 3rd RD.  And if you trade down and acquire a 2nd then take one of the blue chip centers in the draft. Now your offensive line would be a lot better. You would replace the center, Harrison who has a 54.1 rating.  Carpenter will be the odd man out but he can be there if an injury occurs. 

And in fact if you don't want to sign Brown you have a second option in signing Ju'wuan James who had as good a rating as Brown. I would entertain both and see what they looking for.

But now having kelechi the OT is not a priority. The Center is the priority.    

7 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Don't get me wrong I like the signing and just hope Kelechee is recovered from that Knee and toe injury. But he is going to be 30 and has had 7 years of football. His Guard rating did plummet to 53.7 last year. So we have to pray it goes back to the 80s when he was the top guard with David Locastro.  Look the Bills are looking at Brown and you can't find an OT this year. He has the highest rating and he is only 26. Now if he wants crazy money than say bye bye. But at least entertain it.  

Jet fans are going to love Osemele.  Not only was Osemele hurt last year, a rookie LT ( Kolton Miller) started next to him all year. ( not easy to break in a raw left tackle with the pass rushers you see in the Afc West)    Right there  explains  why his rating dropped-  a lot more responsibility fell on him , as he had to worry about giving the rookie help .

Like I say previous didn't fit the new blocking scheme, and he seemed more interested the last two years of world  traveling than playing football.  This offseason ( knowing he could be cut) rededicated himself to football, and is in the best shape of his life.   Will have a monster 2019 season for the Jets.   This trade will look dumb for the Raiders after the season Osemele has.

When looking at the Jets Roster and looking at who is available in this Free Agency we have to figure out what position talent wise is out there that will better for us the most. Then we have to say what is the most important position in football. Beside QB you say OT, CB, and a DE/LB that can rush the passer. Those are my three. So let us see who is out there and who is in the draft.  So first start with our tackles. We see Carpenter, Beachum, Ijailana, Shell and Smith. Do we need to upgrade this position? Kelvum Beachum was our highest graded ot with 66 grade. The Jets offensive line was better than just 7 other teams in the NFL. So this is where I start.  So looking at the free agency group we see 2 OT free agents. One from the Dreaded Patriots, Trent Brown and the other Daryl Williams from the Carolina Panthers.  Two reasons my priority is to sign Brown over Williams. One get him away from the Patriots and the other he has a 71.0 Grade which is an Above average ranking. While Williams actually is rated 64.9 which Beachum is 65.9.   And Brown is only 26 years old.   So Jets sign this guy.  I hear the Bills are looking at him.
Tony The Wiz   

Brady and Scarnecchia have made a lot of OL guys look a lot better than they are. My guess is that Brown will come back to earth quickly if we sign him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Williams would not sit a year. He would play at guard or RT till Beachum is gone. He is better than what we have.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived