Analysts weigh in with their favorite picks of NFL Draft

jetstream23

The edge guys probably have the edge here. 

Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams co-favorites for defensive rookie of the year

Posted by Mike Florio on May 6, 2019, 11:02 PM EDT

gettyimages-1145124270-e1557198105104.jp
Getty Images

The first two defensive players in the draft have something else in common: They’re the co-favorites to be named the 2019 defensive rookie of the year.

Caesers Palace has set the odds at +400 for 49ers defensive end Nick Bosa and +400 for Jets defensive lineman Quinnen Williams. For each, that means a $100 bet would win $400.

Bills defensive lineman Ed Oliver lands next at +550, Steelers linebacker Devin Bush comes in at +700, and Bucs linebacker Devin White sits at +800 along with Raiders defensive lineman Clelin Ferrell. Jaguars defensive end Josh Allen has +1000 odds.

Allen, frankly, is the most intriguing of the bunch. He joins a team with a potent defense, which should give him plenty of favorable matchups. He could end up with more sacks than any of his peers, and that could deliver the award.

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It’s obvious the Jets actually did not want to draft Q, but because Macc did not get what he deemed enough to trade out he basically said give me that kid they say is the best in the draft something Williams I think, that’s when the Jets war room stormed out in disgust.

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I'm actually not laughing.  I like Macc.

It was a joke and a reference to the "What if?" thread.  But I'm with you.  Although I can't say I like him I do think he takes more bullets than he should around here.  Let's see what a new coach can do with the franchise QB Macc drafted and all this new talent that he's acquired.  A lot of people forget that we've only had one coach under Macc....and he wasn't all that good.

I was leaning Josh Allen, but I can completely envision a scenario where we took him, he was 'good' and QW went on to become a perennial all-pro DT for Tampa, continuing in the tradition of Sapp and McCoy, while we look back and say "why didn't that idiot draft QW, who was the best player in that draft?".

This wasn't a case of Gruden drafting Ferrell, where he had better be far more right than wrong of he's going to get roasted.  Macc took the best football player on the board, possibly by a wide margin.  The fact that he's a DT might make it seem like 'kissing your sister', but I'd say it's more like 'kissing your second cousin, in West Virginia, and she's really hot'.

Okay, so that took a weird turn.

Round 1, Pick 6 (6): Leonard Williams, USC DE

Round 2, Pick 5 (37): Devin Smith, Ohio State WR 

Round 3, Pick 18 (82) (from Texans): Lorenzo Mauldin, Louisville OLB

Round 4, Pick 4 (103) (from Jaguars): Bryce Petty, Baylor QB

Round 5, Pick 16 (152) (from Texans): Jarvis Harrison, Texas A&M OG

Round 7, Pick 6 (223): Deon Brown, Northwestern State (LA) NT

The Jets got the best football player in the draft at No. 6 overall, and he happens to be a perfect fit for everything they want to do.

OK, yeah: That makes four first-round picks spent on defensive linemen in five years. Yes, they'll have to deal with the logjam somehow and may have to trade for more offensive help to justify this pick. But you don't pass at Calvin Johnson because you drafted Mike Williams, and you don't pass on Leonard Williams because you drafted Quinton Coples.

The Jets knew they had to come out of this draft with a playmaker, though, and though they had to pass on Kevin White to take Williams, they snagged Smith at the top of the second round. It'll be interesting to see whether the Jets' top two picks from this draft beat out the Chicago Bears' (White and Eddie Goldman).

Harrison is a desperately needed influx of youth on the offensive line.

But buried deep in the middle there? Bryce Petty, one of the best-of-the-rest quarterbacks who some were talking about as potential late climber. Instead, the Jets maneuvered into place to get him near the top of the fourth round. He's not only an excellent value but pushes and covers for third-year man Geno Smith.

Though Ryan Fitzpatrick will be the Jets' best quarterback this season, who's starting under center in 2016 and beyond—and who's traded for whatever can be gotten—could be determined this training camp.

Grade: A

12 hours ago, slats said:

The edge guys probably have the edge here. 

Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams co-favorites for defensive rookie of the year

Posted by Mike Florio on May 6, 2019, 11:02 PM EDT

gettyimages-1145124270-e1557198105104.jp
Getty Images

The first two defensive players in the draft have something else in common: They’re the co-favorites to be named the 2019 defensive rookie of the year.

Caesers Palace has set the odds at +400 for 49ers defensive end Nick Bosa and +400 for Jets defensive lineman Quinnen Williams. For each, that means a $100 bet would win $400.

Bills defensive lineman Ed Oliver lands next at +550, Steelers linebacker Devin Bush comes in at +700, and Bucs linebacker Devin White sits at +800 along with Raiders defensive lineman Clelin Ferrell. Jaguars defensive end Josh Allen has +1000 odds.

Allen, frankly, is the most intriguing of the bunch. He joins a team with a potent defense, which should give him plenty of favorable matchups. He could end up with more sacks than any of his peers, and that could deliver the award.

Bucs LB Devin White at 8/1 is the play. 

Linebackers are good bets to win DROY because they accumulate large tackle numbers and a few sacks.

The Bucs are a high scoring offense with a bad defense.  Good situation for White to rack up big defensive stats.

Archived