Rumor: Peyton Manning To The Jets?

2 hours ago, slats said:

The only way the Jets can hire Douglas is if they contractually give him control over the 53 man roster. You're making this assumption that Gase needs to be the Supreme Leader of the New York Jets. There's been no word that the power Structure at One Jets Drive is changing. Gase isn't in a position to hire someone under him or over him, they'll be separate equals each reporting to the owner. Gase and Mac clashed, largely -if reports are to be believed- because Mac froze the coaching staff away from the scouting department and didn't accept much input from him. On top of that were the indecisiveness issues. If Gase wants Douglas, maybe it's because he knows him, shares team building philosophies, and works well with him. Maybe he doesn't have to be in charge of him because he trusts him. 

If Gase is gonna have any chance of success here, he's going to need a GM who's on the same page as him, but not necessarily subservient. 

Regardless of what it ends up saying on the letterhead Gase already has control of the roster. So to some extent it's going to have to be somebody who's going to get with the program because there are some consequential decisions that got made while nobody was looking.

It's going to be a while before there's even a chance that anything concrete is going to come out as far as what exactly was going on for the last four months. Last week didn't just up and happen out of nowhere and of the two of them Maccagnan is the one who never saw it coming. So I think you can make some inferences as far as Gase's intentions where the personnel decisions are at cross purposes.

First of all, when it came out that Gase wasn't interested in Bell, it didn't mean at that price. Gase's running game is outside zone and he's not going to change it because of trivial things like the roster he had or the talent that was on the market. The linemen for that are completely different from the ones for gap blocking for Bell, the latter basically being just the prototypical big fat monsters like Carpenter and Harrison and Shell that Maccagnan tended toward anyway.

Udoga wasn't a Maccagnan pick just as obviously as Williams was. He drafts like he drafts, and after five years you know what he goes for even when in a lot of cases it's not clear why. The tackle we claimed from the Patriots the day before Maccagnan got fired weighs like 280 pounds. Carpenter gone and the guys who are rumored to be on the block now on one hand, and the rookies and futures deals and guys who got tendered on the other, it sure seems like Gase was being disingenuous as far as fitting the scheme to personnel.

Speaking of that, pretend you don't already know who the defensive coordinator is, then look at the depth chart and guess. When Williams was hired they made it a big selling point that he wasn't going  to ask for anything personnel-wise. Ignoring the 3-4/4-3 thing that isn't a thing, I still don't have any earthly idea what this is supposed to look like, but even money it's going to involve, in order, Adams at linebacker for want of actual linebackers, bringing another safety down as a fake linebacker for basically the same reason, running out of defensive backs in the middle of a play call, an uncovered touchdown, and sideline fisticuffs.

Maybe there's an understanding that Williams gets to come grocery shopping next year but if I had to bet on it I doubt he and Bell are going to be here longer than absolutely necessary.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

As an example of first go round people in positions, how dumb are you. 

Holy sh*tballs, you can't be serious? We're talking about GMs...you used first time HCs as an example and then I pointed out how your example doesn't work...Are you saying that this is not what happened because it's kinda right there in the posts..

19 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Holy sh*tballs, you can't be serious? We're talking about GMs...you used first time HCs as an example and then I pointed out how your example doesn't work...Are you saying that this is not what happened because it's kinda right there in the posts..

Wipe better next time and use better quality toilet paper and you avoid that.

First timers people have to start somewhere not all HC's were HC's prior and not all GM's were GM's prior. 

Teams take gambles and who really cares as long as it works out. 

What would it take to get Peyton Manning to run the Jets?

Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2019, 11:26 AM EDT

Rumor has it that the Jets would like to hire Peyton Manning to run the team’s football operations. It’s unclear whether Manning would be interested. Possibly, there’s something that could make him interested.

An offer he couldn’t refuse.

So what would it take to get Manning to say “yes” to the Jets? We spent some time spitballing about that on Monday’s PFT Live.

My seat-of-the-pants, it-ain’t-my-money-so-I-can-be-generous-with-it dart-in-the-dark was $20 million per year plus two percent of the franchise’s equity. At an estimated value of $2.9 billion, Manning’s share of the team would be worth another $29 million, and that number would undoubtedly keep growing and growing.

Would Manning be worth it? Yes. He’s destined to thrive at whatever he eventually chooses to do, and if/when he begins to run a team he will throw everything he has into it.

Which means that it will be critical for him to be ready to make the leap when he does it. And he may not be ready for that.

$20 million per year plus two percent of the equity could make him get ready. Or it could make him realize that, whenever he decides to run a team, that’s the kind of package that will be available to him.

While it may seem like a lot of money, a great executive or coach continues to have a much greater potential impact on an NFL team than a great player. With $20 million per year now middle of the pack for quarterbacks, $20 million per year for Manning would be a bargain, if he ends up being as good for a football franchise as many presume he will be.

• Thumb Down 2

2 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

First of all, when it came out that Gase wasn't interested in Bell, it didn't mean at that price. Gase's running game is outside zone and he's not going to change it because of trivial things like the roster he had or the talent that was on the market. 

Well good thing it doesn’t matter wtf scheme he runs.

47 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

First timers people have to start somewhere not all HC's were HC's prior and not all GM's were GM's prior. 

but as previously said...GMs were working in the front office...HCs were coaches before they took over the top job.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

What would it take to get Peyton Manning to run the Jets?

Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2019, 11:26 AM EDT

Rumor has it that the Jets would like to hire Peyton Manning to run the team’s football operations. It’s unclear whether Manning would be interested. Possibly, there’s something that could make him interested.

An offer he couldn’t refuse.

So what would it take to get Manning to say “yes” to the Jets? We spent some time spitballing about that on Monday’s PFT Live.

My seat-of-the-pants, it-ain’t-my-money-so-I-can-be-generous-with-it dart-in-the-dark was $20 million per year plus two percent of the franchise’s equity. At an estimated value of $2.9 billion, Manning’s share of the team would be worth another $29 million, and that number would undoubtedly keep growing and growing.

Would Manning be worth it? Yes. He’s destined to thrive at whatever he eventually chooses to do, and if/when he begins to run a team he will throw everything he has into it.

Which means that it will be critical for him to be ready to make the leap when he does it. And he may not be ready for that.

$20 million per year plus two percent of the equity could make him get ready. Or it could make him realize that, whenever he decides to run a team, that’s the kind of package that will be available to him.

While it may seem like a lot of money, a great executive or coach continues to have a much greater potential impact on an NFL team than a great player. With $20 million per year now middle of the pack for quarterbacks, $20 million per year for Manning would be a bargain, if he ends up being as good for a football franchise as many presume he will be.

Did Manning's agent write this?

Why does everyone seem to think it is a sure thing that Manning will succeed?  He has not worked in scouting or in a front office.  He has had a cushy life that would be upended by this job.  He would have to work much harder than he has worked in recent years, maybe harder than ever?

And how many top-level stars have succeeded as general managers?  I could be mistaken but the list seems awfully short.  Jerry West?  Who else?  Elway?  After signing Manning, not so much.  Larry Bird couldn't stick it out.  Isaiah Thomas was a disaster. Michael Jordan?  No.  Willis  Reed?  No.  Derek Jeter?  Jury's still out.  There's not a lot of precedent for this type of thing working out.

I am going on record as saying this would be an epic disaster.

• Post of the Week 1

The Jets desperately need someone who knows football to be running the football side of the organization. The Johnson's have valiantly tried and failed. I don't know if Manning is the answer but I do know that the Johnson's aren't so why not give it a shot. The holdup may be that Woody needs to sign off on such a high profile maneuver and if a piece of the franchise is involved then it's a process that will take time to get through. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Well good thing it doesn’t matter wtf scheme he runs.

Everything the Jets do or don't do means everything is wonderful for no ascertainable reason but the redass coach wanting to do things totally differently than one would in order to maximize the value of a player with a track record of feigning affront when he thinks he can leverage it into something doesn't matter? Is that an across the board thing or does it just cover those of us for whom aggressively not understanding things is less an intellectual limitation and more an all-encompassing life philosophy?

6 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Everything the Jets do or don't do means everything is wonderful for no ascertainable reason but the redass coach wanting to do things totally differently than one would in order to maximize the value of a player with a track record of feigning affront when he thinks he can leverage it into something doesn't matter? Is that an across the board thing or does it just cover those of us for whom aggressively not understanding things is less an intellectual limitation and more an all-encompassing life philosophy?

I’m still trying to figure out if Gase even said that Bell wouldn’t fit the scheme or if it was another assumption-turned headline from one of our fantastic beat writers.

because that makes zero sense when Gase loves guys who can be receiving backs on his constantly used screens and Gase out of all people knows this. It doesn’t take an expert to see that L Bell, for what it’s worth, will effectively run thru any gap. Inside or out.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m still trying to figure out if Gase even said that Bell wouldn’t fit the scheme or if it was another assumption-turned headline from one of our fantastic beat writers.

because that makes zero sense when Gase loves guys who can be receiving backs on his constantly used screens and Gase out of all people knows this. It doesn’t take an expert to see that L Bell, for what it’s worth, will effectively run thru any gap. Inside or out.

It’s not about scheme it’s about attitude.  Bell hasn’t played football in over a year can he quit smoking weed long enough to actually go to practice?  He’s only the 3rd highest paid RB in the league

On 5/17/2019 at 11:37 PM, SAR I said:

The only rational explanation is that a bunch of naive Mets fans conditioned to losing believe that what they see and read on social media is true and is to be emulated.  

Here's a friendly hint.

if you're going to write posts telling all of us that Yankee fans never talk about the Mets, how they're not even aware of the Mets, you need to stop talking about the Mets and Mets fans as often as you do. 

Youre welcome.  

On 5/17/2019 at 11:37 PM, SAR I said:

The only rational explanation is that a bunch of naive Mets fans conditioned to losing believe that what they see and read on social media is true and is to be emulated.

Here's a friendly helpful hint.

if you're going to write posts telling all of us that Yankee fans never talk about the Mets, how they're not even aware of the Mets, you need to stop talking about the Mets and Mets fans as often as you do. 

Youre welcome.  

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Here's a friendly hint.

Youre welcome.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Here's a friendly helpful hint.

Youre welcome.  

Image result for stuttering gifs

17 hours ago, joewilly12 said:
 2h2 hours ago
More

Jets’ Plans For GM Search Do Not Include Peyton Manning http://bit.ly/2WU0p9r 

D7By_TWWsAASDDR.jpg
3 replies5 retweets10 likes

lol wait.  Did we turn down Peyton or did he turn down us first?

https://elitesportsny.com/2019/05/20/peyton-manning-wont-take-the-new-york-jets-gm-job-report/

Peyton Manning won’t take the New York Jets GM job (Report)

05/20/2019

According to a report from Adam Schefter of ESPN, the New York Jets will not be getting Peyton Manning in the building.

There does not appear to be a Manning family reunion in the works at MetLife Stadium.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter has reported that Peyton Manning is not likely to accept the New York Jets general manager job. The job opened up last week when the Jets fired Mike Maccagnan.

Schefter revealed his report on the ESPN morning talk Get Up!. Speaking with host Mike Greenberg, Schefter painted a rather unflattering picture of the Jets situation.

“(There’s) speculation out there about Peyton Manning, but he’s not going to be the next general manager of the New York Jets,” Schefter said. “Peyton Manning would be great at anything he does. He’s not going to take that job. That’s not going to be something that happens.”

The former NFL quarterback does have connections to the modern Jets. Head coach and interim general manager Adam Gase was Manning’s positional coach and offensive coordinator for part of his Denver tenure.

“It’s not practical, it’s not realistic,” Schefter continued. “The Jets may have been interested in him. We know how close Gase and Peyton Manning are. But he’s not going to the next GM of the New York Jets.”

Manning’s name has been linked to several front office jobs since his retirement in 2016. His younger brother Eli remains the starting quarterback of the New York Giants.

Schefter did mention Joe Douglas, a more likely name to take the Jets’ helm. Douglas has spent the past three seasons as the Philadelphia Eagles’ Vice President of Player Personnel.

“I think it’s his job to lose,” Schefter said. “Some people have viewed it as a foregone conclusion that Joe Douglas would be the guy in New York. Maybe he will, maybe he won’t. I don’t think they’re that far along. But I think the Jets will come at him hard. I think they will entice him to leave Philadelphia.”

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

It’s not about scheme it’s about attitude.  Bell hasn’t played football in over a year can he quit smoking weed long enough to actually go to practice?  He’s only the 3rd highest paid RB in the league

He got caught with weed like 5 years ago. Get over it.