Jordan Jenkins - contract extension?

There has been a lot of criticism of Mac not resigning guys before they hit FA and essentially negotiating against himself, so with a new GM thankfully here we have some guys who are up for extensions.

Jordan Jenkins is one of them and turnonthejets.com did a great breakdown of him here http://turnonthejets.com/2019/07/toj-new-york-jets-film-review-jordan-jenkins-2018-season/#more-50004

Jenkins isnt going to be a star nor is he a prototypical "edge rusher" but he can play 3-4 OLB which should be the defense we run if Polite turns into a true edge rusher, he plays the run really well and has improved every year hes been in the league.  To me, he seems like someone who you could get now for under "FA market value" and you allow him to take some risk off the table in case he gets hurt.  

• Upvote 2

seemed like he missed time due to injury but I checked his stats and he was only out 2 games in his rookie year... 

37 starts in 3 years, getting a little better every year and now has a real defensive coaching staff - resigning him now could be a very good idea, and good a offseason discussion thread 

You would have to sign him to somewhere near Henry Anderson’s contact. Both finishing with 7 sacks in blitzing situations last year. 

3 years 25 million. 8.4 annually

Really like Jenkins and his development coming out of the third round. Each year he seems to get better and is easily coached. 

However, Jenkins would have to have a monster year and go to the pro bowl for us to give him any where near 8.4 million and up after this year. 

He is set to make under 1 million this year. Would make no sense to extend him and pay him almost 7 times as more than we would this year on the risk of us losing him in free agency next year  

24 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

37 starts in 3 years, getting a little better every year and now has a real defensive coaching staff - resigning him now could be a very good idea, and good a offseason discussion thread

Anderson - 8 million 

L.Williams - 14 million 

Cj Mosley - 17 million 

Williomson - 7.5 million 

We are paying way to much for run stopping defensive players who flash in pass rushing abilities. 

Paying for a linebacker who doesn’t have true pass rushing talent or proven consistent track record, would not be such a good idea. 

I think it’s a good idea to pay Jenkins under 1 million this year for the potential 7 to 10 sacks he might bring and worry about his contract next year

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

You would have to sign him to somewhere near Henry Anderson’s contact. Both finishing with 7 sacks in blitzing situations last year. 

3 years 25 million. 8.4 annually

Really like Jenkins and his development coming out of the third round. Each year he seems to get better and is easily coached. 

However, Jenkins would have to have a monster year and go to the pro bowl for us to give him any where near 8.4 million and up after this year. 

He is set to make under 1 million this year. Would make no sense to extend him and pay him almost 7 times as more than we would this year on the risk of us losing him in free agency next year  

Good post - I started to respond that there is no way he gets $8 per, but then I looked at the OLB contracts on overthgcap.com and there is basically guys making $1.5-4 on their rookie deals or someone like anthony barr who is getting $15.  

I think getting a starting OLB for 4 years $20-24 million would be a great deal for the team, just not sure he would take it.

Average player at best right now. His PFF score for last season was 52.4 which is below average. 8 mil no flipping way. That PFF score means he makes mistakes and whiffs on some plays just like that Tannyhill run. If u got the edge than that’s your job and your getting paid millions to do it. Miami knew Jenkins would bite there because they watched tape of him. They were right. He better show a lot this season or he’s a goner!  

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

8 seems about right in today’s market. If he gets 7 plus sacks again this year? 

He will want more than 8 per and teams will pay him more in FA.

He has to show it again.  Last season was the first time he showed any ability ever as a pass rusher and 7 sacks is just ok for a fulltime OLB let’s not get carried away he’s so far been Bryan Thomas

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rsherman28 said:

Anderson - 8 million 

L.Williams - 14 million 

Cj Mosley - 17 million 

Williomson - 7.5 million 

We are paying way to much for run stopping defensive players who flash in pass rushing abilities. 

Paying for a linebacker who doesn’t have true pass rushing talent or proven consistent track record, would not be such a good idea. 

I think it’s a good idea to pay Jenkins under 1 million this year for the potential 7 to 10 sacks he might bring and worry about his contract next year

This is right.  You can’t pay all of these guys.  The only reason we are having this discussion is because Mac’s drafting has been so bad. 

Williamson was an expensive plug.  The Jets can’t afford all of these guys in 2020. 

If Jenkins was smart he takes a fair extension this year.  He makes too little this year.  He should get some money in his pocket now.  

In 2020, one of Anderson or Leo is not on the team.  

5 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

8 seems about right in today’s market. If he gets 7 plus sacks again this year? 

He will want more than 8 per and teams will pay him more in FA.

If gets 7 sacks again this year I would not bring him in for 8 million annually. I understand he might get that in FA but teams overpay in free agency all of the time. 

With this teams overalls needs and Leo being in a contract year, I just can’t see us dishing out this contract unless he is the long waited answer as at pass rusher we desperately need. For him to be that, kid has to break double digit sacks and be around 15-20 QB hits. 

Also, if Tru underperforms again and Roberts doesn’t play up to his new contract, Douglas may be forced to dump even more money into the corner position just to get a reliable #1 corner. The way these contracts stand, we are stuck with Tru for the rest of the year and would take a small hit on Roberts if we move from him. 

5 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Average player at best right now. His PFF score for last season was 52.4 which is below average. 8 mil no flipping way. That PFF score means he makes mistakes and whiffs on some plays just like that Tannyhill run. If u got the edge than that’s your job and your getting paid millions to do it. Miami knew Jenkins would bite there because they watched tape of him. They were right. He better show a lot this season or he’s a goner!  

He sold out on the run game to get those 7 sacks.. he is definitely upgradable . 

5 hours ago, Nixhead said:

That Miami play was not his best but Jenkins has had good value for where he was drafted. 

Being drafted in the third out of Georgia the same year we took a MLB in the first round. Jenkins I think has done a good job fitting into his role and not doing too much extra so expectations don’t get un  realistic. 

He is also been through a couple different linebacker coaches and all of them rave about the way he practices and what he brings to meetings. Jenkins has great durability as his starting stats were mentioned above. Each year he also raises his sack total from the year before. 

Average outside line backer as of now is about right but labeling him at best might be taking away from him a little.

PFF is accurate, but they can’t grade a play were Jenkins kills his guy and gets extra attention and someone else gets the play. Being on the outside, if he set the outside correctly and the offense notices, the play will move to the inside and someone else may get a tackler for a loss or sack and boost there PFF grade. However that won’t show for Jenkins in that play. 

If he can keep developing he will get his contact on some NFL team or maybe here

14 hours ago, BCJet said:

There has been a lot of criticism of Mac not resigning guys before they hit FA and essentially negotiating against himself, so with a new GM thankfully here we have some guys who are up for extensions.

Jordan Jenkins is one of them and turnonthejets.com did a great breakdown of him here http://turnonthejets.com/2019/07/toj-new-york-jets-film-review-jordan-jenkins-2018-season/#more-50004

Jenkins isnt going to be a star nor is he a prototypical "edge rusher" but he can play 3-4 OLB which should be the defense we run if Polite turns into a true edge rusher, he plays the run really well and has improved every year hes been in the league.  To me, he seems like someone who you could get now for under "FA market value" and you allow him to take some risk off the table in case he gets hurt.  

Jenkins gets caught out of position a lot . When he has a clear objective like rushing the passer he's a decent/good option with 7 sacks but I do not think he is a particularly good all around LB. He does not adjust well on his feet and looks very awkward at times when he needs to make a quick read. I did not look at the film review because I feel there is not enough in those film reviews to make an objective decision on a player but based on what I saw from him last year I would rate him a good pass rusher and a below average OLB. 

14 hours ago, BCJet said:

I think the new GM and head coach will want some time to evaluate the entire team before they start handing out extensions. If that takes a full season and they lose a guy like Jenkins in free agency next year as a result, so be it. The Jets already have a lot of money committed to the LB position in Mosley and Williamson. 

• Upvote 1

I like Jenkins.  He hit the performance escalators, so his salary is a bit over $2M this season, not under $1M. Much of it probably depends on what they want to do on D.  Does he fit?  If they are going towards more 4-3 base, probably not.  The idea of extending him is to get a bargain.  Give him some guarantees now in exchange for a discount price.  He seems like a decent, dependable player to me.  I doubt I'd do $8M per for him - more like signing him through 2022 for $24M. If that's too little, fine. 

FWIW, Jenkins, Shell and Rashard Robinson all hit the escalators. I am sure that is why they cut Robinson.  It is okay to have a guy like that around at $700k, but at $2M it is quite a different story.  Particularly since he made the escalator almost purely based on snaps he took in San Francisco.