Brett Kollmann: Eagles Roster Construction

win4ever

5 minutes ago, win4ever said:

On mobile, can't imbed.

Essentially, Eagles on defense built up a strong DL that can rotate in and out, and invested in safeties. They went cheap on CB as a market inefficiency. I'm wondering how much Douglas is influenced by this, and could explain the lack of urgency for CB help. It would also explain why there are rumors about Clowney. Anyway, found it interesting.

And yes, same guy that said Hackenberg would be a steal, but content has gotten much better now.

I don't know how much urgency you could have.  What the hell is out there as far as CB's go?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Essentially, Eagles on defense built up a strong DL that can rotate in and out, and invested in safeties. They went cheap on CB as a market inefficiency

My man John Tobin has screeched ( literally) for years about as connected to his own take on Revis.

Could be JD is doing this..    good post on a current hot topic.

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

My man John Tobin has screeched ( literally) for years about as connected to his own take on Revis.

Didn't they sign a safety from Philly too? Interesting. I'm not against trading for Clowney with a 4. Leo, Anderson, QW, Clowney, McClendon, Shepard, Foley fat, that's a bad azz group

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

They went cheap on CB as a market inefficiency.

I completely agree with this statement. The days of 7 step drops and corners needing to man for 4 seconds are gone. Stop the run, get a lead and make the opponent one dimensional, run late. That is the formula for success in today's NFL IMO

Or you can be like the Patriots who prioritize CBs and have used that formula to go to 3 straight Super Bowls.

Or be like the Saints and have 1 draft so good it fixes your whole team.

My point is just that this guy is overselling the Eagles formula. The eagles pay their best players and don’t fear FA. That’s how they do it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I'm not sure you can ever come back from "Hackenberg will be a steal" but maybe I'm just being too harsh.

I can't ever take Kollman too seriously again after that one.  It's unfair because even an NFL GM got it wrong but wow did he have me convinced Hack was going to be at least pretty good.

58 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Didn't they sign a safety from Philly too? Interesting. I'm not against trading for Clowney with a 4. Leo, Anderson, QW, Clowney, McClendon, Shepard, Foley fat, that's a bad azz group

I think Foley Fat might end up having a better career than Shepherd.

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Or you can be like the Patriots who prioritize CBs and have used that formula to go to 3 straight Super Bowls.

My point is just that this guy is overselling the Eagles formula. The eagles pay their best players and don’t fear FA. That’s how they do it.

The Eagles invested in their Def and Off line when they didnt need to, thats how they got the depth they have.  Drafting Derek Barnett was the perfect example, they didnt need a DE but he was there and helped their pass rush immensely.

I think the point about the eagles is that Off and Def lineman rarely become available in FA or by cuts.  However we could easily find someone like Janoris Jenkins as part of the cut downs. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, nycdan said:

I'm not sure you can ever come back from "Hackenberg will be a steal" but maybe I'm just being too harsh.

That was a rough one, especially because he was hellbent on saying everyone else was missing out on the kid.  I think part of the problem was that he's a Texans fan, and Bob O'Brien was rumored to love him.  So he probably researched him with hope that he'd be good, saw some things and extrapolated from there.   But it was a bad miss.  

I gotta be honest, I thought Hackenberg would improve if his mechanics got better, but I was wrong.  

7 hours ago, flgreen said:

I don't know how much urgency you could have.  What the hell is out there as far as CB's go?

There are trade candidates.  

7 hours ago, Losmeister said:

I wish pre-season had more All 22 angles so I could see what the defense was doing better.  It'll be interesting to see how they hold up, because I have a feeling they are going to send blitzes, have CBs sit on short routes, and hope the safeties take away the deep throws.  I've been noticing the 2nd and 3rd teams giving up a ton of vertical space, which makes me wonder if they are being told to sit on the shorter routes in accordance with the blitzes.  But I can't tell for sure with the TV angle focused on Aurther Blank standing in a booth.  

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

I'm interested in Clowney but it also depends on the cost.  I'm not giving up a top 3 pick plus all that money when we have depth issues to begin with.  

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I'm really curious as to how the Jets secondary plays on blitzes, especially how the safeties rotate.  I wish Maye was healthy so he could act better as the FS.

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

So mac really was a genius by drafting box safeties and run stuffing interior dline?  Who knew!  Why was he fired!?!?!

Well the difference between Mac and Roseman was that, the latter actually got talent on the field.  We got Nathan Shepard, Almost QB Pressure King Leo.  

5 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I think it's hard to emulate the Patriots because Brady/Bellichek make almost anything work out.  Put Brady/Bellichick on this roster, and I'd bet the bank the Jets make the playoffs.  

Saints had an unbelievable draft (so did Colts last year) but that's further down the road.  

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I can't ever take Kollman too seriously again after that one.  It's unfair because even an NFL GM got it wrong but wow did he have me convinced Hack was going to be at least pretty good.

He had be believing, I'll be lying if I said I didn't see his points in that video.  I was all into the mental game genie that was Hackenberg, so I thought all you really had to do was fix his mechanics.  I was wrong.  I hated his film and should have stuck with that.  

5 hours ago, Larz said:

Good watch 

eagles also put lots of resources into oline and right tackle 

They also go heavy on red zone threats.  Jeffery, Ertz, Goddert, now Arcega-Whiteside.  It'll be interesting as to where the Jets go with receivers.  

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

The Eagles invested in their Def and Off line when they didnt need to, thats how they got the depth they have.  Drafting Derek Barnett was the perfect example, they didnt need a DE but he was there and helped their pass rush immensely.

I think the point about the eagles is that Off and Def lineman rarely become available in FA or by cuts.  However we could easily find someone like Janoris Jenkins as part of the cut downs. 

I agree, they doubled down on areas they didn't need to create a great rotation.  Even the Ertz/Goddert thing, where they wanted to have double mismatches.  At the time, I believe they also had Burton at TE.  They went for BPA but players that fit the scheme.  

• Upvote 2