All 19 food stands at MetLife Stadium,ranked worst to best

joewilly12

All 19 food stands at MetLife Stadium, ranked worst to best 

By Jeremy Schneider | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com | Posted September 15, 2019 at 06:00 AM | Updated September 15, 2019 at 07:16 AM

1da_copyofcopyofcopyofcopyofsidebyside.j
Jeremy Schneider | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

While there may not be much good football played at MetLife Stadium this year (by the home teams, anyway) there's still enough quality eats to satisfy even the hungriest Giants and Jets fans. 

There's food everywhere you look at every level of the massive stadium in the Meadowlands, ranging from simple offerings like burgers and fries to fancier fare like tacos and Korean BBQ. But which food stand is the best at MetLife? 

We went to the Jets' season opener last Sunday and spent the game walking around MetLife, trying every single different food stand and ranking them from worst to best. Somehow we survived. 

What do you think of the food at MetLife? Where are you eating when you go to a game? Let us know in the comment section. 

19. WingMan NYC
19. WingMan NYC

How hard is it to get freaking chicken wings right? I'm not saying I expected the best wings I've ever had, but I did not expect them to be among the worst. Yeesh. Over-fried, under-sauced scrawny flavorless wings that cost 14 bucks! They were the "food item of the game," meaning they're normally $16. Considering how poorly the game went for the Jets, I guess that's fitting. I got the "hot honey" sauce, which was decent. They have classic buffalo and Parmesan garlic as well. 

18. Nona Fusco's
18. Nona Fusco's

A meatball sub is hardly ambitious. You probably had an solid one in your middle school cafeteria. But the only thing solid about this concoction was the cheese, which was plasticky and gross. The sauce tastes like it came right out of a Prego jar, and the meatball itself was flavorless. The chicken cutlet sandwich looked like a better sandwich, though it was $16, four dollars more than the meatball parm. 

17. The Original New York Cheesesteak Company
17. The Original New York Cheesesteak Company

A sandwich known to be from Philly bragging about being from New York, at a stadium in New Jersey for two teams that say they're from New York. I'm confused. And hungry, because I only managed one bite of this dry excuse for a cheesesteak. Credit the stand for offering cheesesteaks with and without onions (I didn't dare say wizwit) but I could have made a better steak with Steak-umms. Flavorless and dry. Just another reason for Giants fans to hate the Eagles. 

16. Cheetos Popcorn
16. Cheetos Popcorn

People love Cheetos. People love Popcorn. Why not combine the two? There was just one stand offering this that I saw, all the way in the upper deck at section 329. A friend of mine described them as "drunkenly delicious," and had I downed a few $15 beers I'm sure I would have enjoyed these more. If you really like Cheetos, you should try them. But otherwise, not really worth the trip or the nine bucks. Just tasted like cheesy, salty popcorn. 

e82_screenshot20190909at121339pm.jpeg
15. New York Delicatessen 

Hobby's Deli, this is not. Pastrami hoagies, corned beef hoagies and turkey wraps are the main item menus. We tried the pastrami hoagie, and the meat was limp and lacked flavor. I though the roll was whole wheat, but was pleasantly surprised to bite in and find out it was rye, and surprisingly good. The meat itself, not so much. 

14. Local Pizza

Conveyor belt pizza. You're from New Jersey. Show some self-respect. 

30b_screenshot20190909at115156am.jpeg
13. Bubba Burger

Their slogan is "you'll never bite a better burger than a Bubba." They lied to me. This burger was just okay. Not amazing. Not bad. If you're really craving a cheeseburger at a game, this will get the job done. It was a bit overdone, and there was none of the "stadium sauce" that the menu promised — I had to settle for ketchup. 

3f2_img3527.jpeg
12. Boardwalk Fryer

Who's dumb enough to try fried clams at a football game? This guy! To the surprise of no one, they aren't very good — I just hope they weren't fished out of the swamps of the Meadowlands. The chicken fingers, french fries and hot dogs they also serve are par for the course, standard stadium food. 

6e7_screenshot20190909at115140am.jpeg
11. Global Pies

Hungry, but not starving? Not exactly sure what you want? Maybe wanna sneak in something savory and sweet? You've come to the right place. Global Pies is a fancy name for an empanada spot, and it offers a variety of fillings. Braised pork, Salisbury steak, Colombian chicken, corned beef, shepherd's pie and street corn are the savory options, while s'mores and apple are dessert pies. We went with the Colombian chicken and s'mores, which were both tasty though not distinctively so. You can get two for $10, which isn't a bad deal.  

158_screenshot20190909at120232pm.jpeg
10. Mr. Tot

Who doesn't love tater tots? They're trendy finger food, and pretty hard to get wrong. The tots themselves were good, not over-fried while still maintaining a nice crisp texture. The beer cheese and bacon were yummy as well. The vegetarian option, featuring cauliflower tots with kewpie mayo, a Japanese seasoning called frukaki, pickled red onions and a chili paste called Sambal, is easily the most high-brow food item at the stadium. Still, $12 for tater tots, even a hearty portion, is a bit much. 

9. Franks

Hot dogs? Hot dogs. Thumann's hot dogs to be specific. Overpriced? Probably. But you paid 40 bucks to park, so what did you expect? Pass the mustard. 

25c_screenshot20190909at120254pm.jpeg
8. Petite Greens & Grains

Healthy food at a football game? Healthy food at a football game! If you're looking to avoid hot dogs, burgers and other sodium-saturated options, you could do a lot worse than this, which is situated at section 144. They have Quinoa bowls, salads, fruits and soup among other offerings. The quinoa bowl with chicken was especially flavorful while being more hearty and satisfying than a typical salad. The garbanzo bean stew was more like a soup than a stew, thinner than I was expecting, but had a nice curry-esque kick to it. 

7. Liberty Sausage 

Premio Italian sausages, sweet or hot, with peppers and onions. You know exactly what you're getting, which is a middle of the road sausage sandwich. Low risk, low reward, classic stadium fare. 

bb8_screenshot20190909at120211pm.jpeg
6. Bahnbekyu Korean BBQ

Just a few years ago many people didn't even know what Korean food was. Now, it's become so popular that it's being offered at football stadiums? What a time to be alive. Bahnbekyu offers Korean pulled pork sandwiches and Korean pulled pork bao sliders at Metlife Central. We tried the latter, and while the bun isn't fluffy enough and the pulled pork was too salty, it certainly hits the spot if you're craving Korean BBQ. But $14 for a sandwich or three sliders is a bit steep. 

7d0_screenshot20190909at115100am.jpeg
5. Lucky's Noodles and Dumplings

These weren't the best noodles I've had by any stretch. But they were probably on par with any lo mein from your local takeout Chinese spot. The noodles were properly cooked and the sweet chili sauce was sweet and spicy as advertised. The char-sui pork was a bit dry, but had a good porky flavor. We tried the dumplings as well, which were passable but not worth waiting on line for at MetLife Central. 

5e1_screenshot20190909at120324pm.jpeg
4. The Fat Rooster

Chicken sandwiches may be the hottest item in the fast food game, with the Popeyes vs. Chick-fil-A rivalry taking social media by storm. While the Fat Rooster's chicken sandwich isn't as good as either, but it's still pretty tasty. It's a pretty big piece of chicken and the spicy seasoning gives it a nice kick. The honey mayo and dill slaw were forgettable, but the chicken is good enough to make the sandwich stand out. But was it worth $15? Probably not. Head to MetLife Central or sections 212, 240 and 317 if you're craving one. 

26c_screenshot20190909at121200pm.jpeg
3. Doughmazing! 

Half the fun of eating cookie dough is that you know you aren't supposed to. But Doughmazing features safe-to-eat cookie dough in a handful of flavors, including mint chocolate chip and s'mores which we tried. They were both delicious, even if this stuff isn't as good as the real thing. A nice alternative to ice cream, which can be found right at MetLife Central. 

b1a_screenshot20190909at115038am.jpeg
2. Tacos Raqueros

This could be No. 1 just on value. Three fairly large tacos for $10? Sign me up. The tortillas were limp and boring, but all three fillings we tried (chicken, pork and beef) were all pretty enjoyable — the pork was especially tasty — and the hot sauce I requested with them brought the heat. They have burritos if you're looking for a more filling option, as well. Look for these tacos at MetLife Central and sections 117, 217, 234 and 313.

ced_screenshot20190909at120336pm.jpeg
1. Stadium Gyro

Football screams Greek street food, doesn't it? I did not expect this to be the best thing I tasted all day, but it absolutely was. The pita was soft and fluffy, the vegetables crisp and the tzatziki was creamy and surprisingly flavorful. But it was the beef that sealed the deal. The beef was ground — not the typical slices of meat you'll see in a gyro — but this made for even bites and a streamlined dining experience, and tasted so good I had to stop myself from eating too much. They have a chicken option as well (no lamb), for the same $12. Stadium Gyro has stands at MetLife Central and section 314. No, MetLife Stadium isn't a center of Greek culture, but they somehow nailed their signature sandwich.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Have you ever watched a bulldog vomit on the sidewalk and then proceed to lick up that vomit? That’s what eating at the stadium is like. The food there is truly disgusting and they have no excuse considering how good the food options are at CitiField and even low-rent Yankee Stadium. I had a cheesesteak the first time I went there and as I was eating it I actually wondered if this is what Ed Gein felt like when he was eating a human foot. Really horrific. Has to be the worst stadium in sports.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

This is why people tailgate so they can eat quality fresh prepared foods and not preservative loaded overpriced garbage in the stadium. 

The price of some of that stuff is criminal. 

7dcedyqlue331.jpg

I don't know what tailgaters you're referring to, but the typical Jets fan is eating price club processed meats and drinking cheap gas station beer.  Just so they can save $15 on getting fat and drunk.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don't know what tailgaters you're referring to, but the typical Jets fan is eating price club processed meats and drinking cheap gas station beer.  Just so they can save $15 on getting fat and drunk.

SAR I

I can assure you when I tailgate with friends and family its quality fresh meats usually purchased from Restaurant Depot, CostCo or if i have time the local butcher shop and freshly prepared salads homemade. 

Bubba burger?  Yea no thanks. 

The sausage on that grill looks 10x better than the stadium imitation dog food they sell. 

• Upvote 1

There are ways of grossing people out and most of you have done it successfully. Esp when you have to spend 20 for your lunch. Before reading this I didn't know it was that bad! I was dumb enough to think it was pretty good. When I go with my brother or by myself I bring a sand.  When I go with our kid we buy lunch because I don't want him to think I'm cheap and anyways he won't tolerate it. Just a side story an example of intentionally trying to creep people out. My daughter called to speak to my wife today and went out of her way to tell her she bought used clothes specifically off of dead people. She knew the reaction she would get from her Mom who has over the years begged her not to buy used clothes. To the best of my knowledge she doesn't know who owned the clothes previously or if they were dead. She just said it for the effect like some of you did about the food. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

There are ways of grossing people out and most of you have done it successfully. Esp when you have to spend 20 for your lunch. Before reading this I didn't know it was that bad! I was dumb enough to think it was pretty good. When I go with my brother or by myself I bring a sand.  When I go with our kid we buy lunch because I don't want him to think I'm cheap and anyways he won't tolerate it. Just a side story an example of intentionally trying to creep people out. My daughter called to speak to my wife today and went out of her way to tell her she bought used clothes specifically off of dead people. She knew the reaction she would get from her Mom who has over the years begged her not to buy used clothes. To the best of my knowledge she doesn't know who owned the clothes previously or if they were dead. She just said it for the effect like some of you did about the food. 

Used clothes off dead people?  If the people are dead how can they sell their clothes?  Right off the body? Or in a thrift or goodwill store? 

True story a friends son dropped out of college hated it, so I find out he goes to used clothing stores and buys certain brands and styles and re-sells them on-line. Last I heard he's making $1200 a week and expanding his business to other items as well. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

All the money fans pay to attend games PSL,ticket,parking you would think the stadium could and would do better. 

This a poor reflection on the Johnson's and Mara's and Tisch's 

The Jets also give STH's Jets cash when you renew so the food is basically free the first couple of weeks. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Have you ever watched a bulldog vomit on the sidewalk and then proceed to lick up that vomit? That’s what eating at the stadium is like. The food there is truly disgusting and they have no excuse considering how good the food options are at CitiField and even low-rent Yankee Stadium. I had a cheesesteak the first time I went there and as I was eating it I actually wondered if this is what Ed Gein felt like when he was eating a human foot. Really horrific. Has to be the worst stadium in sports.

Looks like they're serving Sam's spleen.