What do we have that's actually good? Who are the Top 10 players you'd build around?

jetstream23

54 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i agree they're not all elite players but what team has 10 elite players?  none.  i think the question is more about the players who actually play well and show up every game.

Neither the OP nor the one I quoted asked anyone to name 10 “elite” players on the team. Just 10 good ones worth building a foundation around. 

There’s Darnold; we hope Herndon is, based on last year; Bell will possibly/probably be in decline & cut before they make the playoffs again; Adams IMO has more value in what he might bring in trade than what he brings on the field; Maye is just ok, but hardly foundational since he may not be worth re-signing; we have no real corners; we have none on the OL worth keeping for any longer than we absolutely have to; our best WRs are just ok and between those 2 only Crowder is inked past this season and he’s only foundational if there’s a stud WR also on the field; Mosley is excellent but vastly overpaid (we outbid the Ravens by 50%) iirc; DT based on predraft expectations alone; H.Anderson is fine, but is about as “foundational” as our 2 healthy WRs...

So never mind elite, and still I’m not sure there are more than 5 foundational players above who’ll clearly be worth keeping for a supposed attempt at a 2021 playoff run, even if Adams is myopically kept and extended. So from above there’s Darnold, maybe Herndon, Mosley, Adams, and I guess Crowder. Among these, so far only Mosley is elite.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

So basically because Sam Darnold has mono we should give up on him?

One thing I agree with -- if we go 0-16 we should strongly consider drafting a QB 1st overall because if that happens clearly Darnold was terrible upon returning.

the most important ability in the NFL is availability 

Sam has missed major time 2 seasons in a row and this one it was for Non Football reasons

We "give up" on Sam because he is unreliable 

the team (line, defense etc) gives up when QB1 isn't there - look at the NYG who suddenly can play football without Eli. 

or at least draft someone with actual talent who can steer the ship when Sam goes down 

serious question want to give Darnold 100 mil? cause that's where this is all leading

dude can't keep his tongue in his mouth for a month give him 100 million dollars? 

I say draft another QB and make them compete  - that's not the same as giving up on 14 in fact it's making the QB of the Jets earn the job something that hasn't happened for decades 

and by the way if he can't beat out a rookie in his 3rd year he doesn't deserve to start 

• Thumb Down 1

20 hours ago, Drums said:

steve brule GIF

It was a scary and extremely dangerous mistake, and he is lucky that no one died but are you serious? He seems like he has learned a lot from that and is always a humble guy when talking. He has shown to be a hard worker as well. 

How hard is it to press UBER on your phone? 

He might be a hard worker he might be humble

that doesn't make him elite or trustworthy of a 2nd deal. 

41 minutes ago, bitonti said:

How hard is it to press UBER on your phone? 

He might be a hard worker he might be humble

that doesn't make him elite or trustworthy of a 2nd deal. 

I understand your point. I look at it as a terrible mistake a young person made and he was lucky it wasn’t even worse. I don’t take what he’s done lightly. I honestly think he has learned and grown from it. If he demonstrates maturity and smart decision making going forward, do you hold that against him in 4 years?

On 9/24/2019 at 12:21 PM, bitonti said:

the most important ability in the NFL is availability 

Sam has missed major time 2 seasons in a row and this one it was for Non Football reasons

We "give up" on Sam because he is unreliable 

the team (line, defense etc) gives up when QB1 isn't there - look at the NYG who suddenly can play football without Eli. 

or at least draft someone with actual talent who can steer the ship when Sam goes down 

serious question want to give Darnold 100 mil? cause that's where this is all leading

dude can't keep his tongue in his mouth for a month give him 100 million dollars? 

I say draft another QB and make them compete  - that's not the same as giving up on 14 in fact it's making the QB of the Jets earn the job something that hasn't happened for decades 

and by the way if he can't beat out a rookie in his 3rd year he doesn't deserve to start 

Interesting post, but there are issues:

1) It’s way too early to be throwing around the word “unreliable” with Darnold. Last year, the guy missed 3 games and there was rampant speculation that, although he was banged up, he could have/would have played, but the jets were taking the opportunity to give him a mental break after the Miami game. (The worst game of his career) This year, the guy got Mono (which, IMO, has absolutely no bearing on his football durability going forward. I’d feel differently if he hurt his knee or throwing arm) and may only miss two games, when all is said and done.

Guys like Watson (two knee surgeries already) and Wentz have much bigger durability issues than Darnold, at the moment.

2) You can’t waste another premium draft pick on a QB. We need every pick we can get to go towards building around Darnold. The talent on this team is ass. We need a good WR or two, a good corner or two, a minimum of three new starters on the offensive line, and probably 2 pass rushers. We also just need better depth, in general. 

• Upvote 2

Wow, are we already giving up on Sam Darnold? This season was always tenuous at best & if you go back to the playoff wild card chances everyone who thought it may be possible said we HAD TO GET OFF TO A GOOD START. Blowing a 16 point lead at home to a division rival was a BAD START. 

At 0-3 with this Oline & the injuries piling up the Jets will be somewhere at the top of the draft again. What we have to hope is that we're FINALLY in the QB zone where we can trade back & get some more picks for JD to go to work. Joe Douglas should be in clearing house business B4 the trade deadline. What we need to have happen is a couple top teams lose a few DTs, maybe a safety, a WR or 2. We have 4 tradeable players. Adams, Maye, Williams, Robbie Anderson. I'd trade any of them for the right price or all of them for the right price. Leo certainly hasn't helped his cause this year so god knows what we could get for him since he's in his last year of his contract. Anderson could actually help a playoff team with a good offense, Adams could bring the highest return & if they don't want to lose Adams leadership put Maye on the block if a team loses a safety. 

Changing this teams fortunes will take drastic measures to get off this hampster wheel we've been on since 2011. The only veteran player I'd give up a pick we gain would be Trent Williams. LT would be a great starting point & you've seen what Whitworth did for protecting Goff. 

Williams- KO- New Center- Top Free Agent RG- Edoga 

You go into the 2020 draft with extra picks & hopefully in a position to trade down for more. 

On 9/23/2019 at 3:57 PM, bitonti said:

they can't build around Herndon

the guy drank enough booze to blow a point 1 4 on the NJ turnpike

the failed sobriety test ended up on TMZ

Santonio Holmes was less selfish than this dude 

meanwhile For all the people saying Daniel Jones isn't good because he's only had 1 good game  how many good games has Darnold had? Like 3 in his career maybe. Depending on how you want to define good. 

I'm not writing him off but people need to open their eyes 

WTF? I think if you hooked up everyone that has ever had a drink and has a drivers license to a polygraph, you would find a pretty large percentage  has driven when impaired. It's not smart but it's not uncommon. Herndon did it and got caught so you are saying you can't  rely on him? We have guys in this league that beat up woman and children but a guy shows poor judgment  by driving a car after a few drinks and we can't  rely on him?

On 9/23/2019 at 3:57 PM, bitonti said:

they can't build around Herndon

the guy drank enough booze to blow a point 1 4 on the NJ turnpike

the failed sobriety test ended up on TMZ

Santonio Holmes was less selfish than this dude 

meanwhile For all the people saying Daniel Jones isn't good because he's only had 1 good game  how many good games has Darnold had? Like 3 in his career maybe. Depending on how you want to define good. 

I'm not writing him off but people need to open their eyes 

WTF? I think if you hooked up everyone that has ever had a drink and has a drivers license to a polygraph, you would find a pretty large percentage  has driven when impaired. It's not smart but it's not uncommon. Herndon did it and got caught so you are saying you can't  rely on him? We have guys in this league that beat up woman and children but a guy shows poor judgment  by driving a car after a few drinks and we can't  rely on him?

Honestly, it's  pretty easy to rip the talent on this team right now. The best players on the team except Bell are not playing. Kind of hard to be excited about anyone who just stands on the sideline.  

We all hope guys like Darnold, CJ, Adams, Bell, etc lead this team out of the horrible funk but with a team in the state we are in now, we better hope not so much for the players to be the foundation, more so Joe Douglas  and Adam Gase. If we whiffed again here (and so far there is zero evidence  we didn't)  it's  not going to matter much who the players are that we have to build around. 

Defense: Mosley, Adams, Maye, Poole, Jenkins and Q. I also don’t mind moving forward with key playing time for Hewitt, Copeland  and Cashman. I also like McLendon and Henry as veteran guys. Our defense just needs to get healthy and a number 1 CB to be good. Add an edge to be very good.

Offense: Darnold, Bell, Herndon and Crowder. Maybe Robby and Edoga. Put in Edoga because the thought of having nobody to move forward with on the OL is depressing. With Edoga, I’m like ok we got one. Our offense needs a lot of work.