patsie and bills gripe

rangerous

i watched some of this game and noted quite a few penalties that should've gone the bills' way.  but that should be expected by now since they were playing the patsies.

but the one i really take issue with is when allen was knocked by a helmet to helmet hit.  apparently there was a hold on the play so personal foul was negated by the bills penalty.  okay that may be the way the rules are but it seems awful stupid that a personal foul that could seriously injure a player is held in the same regard as an offensive line hold.  in my mind, if the nfl wishes to curtail helmet to helmet hits, they need to make personal fouls above all.  in the same vein, though not as severe, there was a play where the patsies were offsides.  it was a 'free' play and allen missed the pass.  but the bills also got tagged for holding and the down was replayed (off setting penalties).  this doesn't seem right.  the hold wouldn't have happened if the patsies weren't offside so this is a case where one penalty causes another.  it doesn't make sense.

• Upvote 2

Two things: First, Brady was bad. That was encouraging. Second, Allen was really bad. I listened to part of the game while driving in New England and Patriot homer Scott Zolak was repeatedly laughing out loud at Allen’s decision making, saying he doesn’t “have it” and advising the Bills to draft a QB “right now.”

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i watched some of this game and noted quite a few penalties that should've gone the bills' way.  but that should be expected by now since they were playing the patsies.

but the one i really take issue with is when allen was knocked by a helmet to helmet hit.  apparently there was a hold on the play so personal foul was negated by the bills penalty.  okay that may be the way the rules are but it seems awful stupid that a personal foul that could seriously injure a player is held in the same regard as an offensive line hold.  in my mind, if the nfl wishes to curtail helmet to helmet hits, they need to make personal fouls above all.  in the same vein, though not as severe, there was a play where the patsies were offsides.  it was a 'free' play and allen missed the pass.  but the bills also got tagged for holding and the down was replayed (off setting penalties).  this doesn't seem right.  the hold wouldn't have happened if the patsies weren't offside so this is a case where one penalty causes another.  it doesn't make sense.

I hear what you are saying but I'm not sure there is a perfect solution - and that being the case, I'm not sure that the current rules are any worse than the alternatives. 

If the goal is to treat personal fouls "above all", then are you OK that defensive PI on deep passes is a much greater on-field penalty than even a dangerous personal foul?  Would you be in favor of a rule that gives an offensive team that is the victim of an illegal helmet to helmet hit an automatic first and goal from the one?  That would presumably have some additional deterrent effect, but it would dramatically change the game of course.  

One modest proposal maybe could be to net out the personal foul against the penalty on the other side of the ball instead of nullifying the play.  Not really a game-changer from a safety/deterrence standpoint, but it would at least give the team who did not commit the personal foul a 5-10 yard benefit (depending on the type of penalty committed) rather than an offsetting "no play".

3 minutes ago, AFCEastFan said:

I hear what you are saying but I'm not sure there is a perfect solution - and that being the case, I'm not sure that the current rules are any worse than the alternatives. 

If the goal is to treat personal fouls "above all", then are you OK that defensive PI on deep passes is a much greater on-field penalty than even a dangerous personal foul?  Would you be in favor of a rule that gives an offensive team that is the victim of an illegal helmet to helmet hit an automatic first and goal from the one?  That would presumably have some additional deterrent effect, but it would dramatically change the game of course.  

One modest proposal maybe could be to net out the personal foul against the penalty on the other side of the ball instead of nullifying the play.  Not really a game-changer from a safety/deterrence standpoint, but it would at least give the team who did not commit the personal foul a 5-10 yard benefit (depending on the type of penalty committed) rather than an offsetting "no play".

if one of the objects of the referees  and rules is to protect the players then certain personal fouls need to be considered above all and applied even if there other fouls on the play.  imo holding calls are mainly caused by the olineman trying to keep his qb from getting creamed.  i don't think there penalty should be changed but maybe they need to be judged less harshly.  and this is more apparently so when you see how the patsies don't get too many holding calls.  i think if there is an obvious flagrant foul, the player should sit without replacement for a play or two like they do in hockey.

7 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

It was probably an 8 yard penalty. Are we just to ignore things the Pats do wrong?

Thank you.....

And it precisely this level of NFL favoritism why I do not give the Pats the moniker of best team ever or Brady the title of the GOAT!!

IMO you can't hold the Pats as the "best" when a team is favored in this way and the truth is Montanna might still be playing and winning championships if the NFL favored them in this manner year after year after year.....

• Upvote 2