Darnold is 11th in QB Rating right now, ahead of Brady, Rodgers, Garoppolo, Wentz, Lamar Jackson....

He's only played two games but they've been against decent competition and, in the case of Buffalo, an excellent Defense.

More importantly than where he stands now I believe is the trend we're seeing.  He's getting better and I'd dare say we've seen the infamous "breakout" that you hope to eventually see with a rookie QB. (Reminder:  Sam Darnold has not yet played 16 games.)  Since missing those 3 games last November he's been an excellent QB in every one of his last 6 games except vs. New England at the very end of last year as the Patriots were heading towards another Super Bowl.

The two things most impressive to me so far....

1. Taking care of the football.  1 INT this year.

2. High completion percentage.  Averaging 70% so far this year.

Sam's last 6 games (including that NE game)...

131 for 198 (66%), 1444 yards, 9 TDs, 2 INTs.

213926416_ScreenShot2019-10-14at9_30_06AM.png.7b0ae9c20cdc5b8b40270870d53446f1.png

724905732_ScreenShot2019-10-14at9_30_37AM.png.151454d9d6f605d9ccb50fdb8e3c7e03.png

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I've said it in multiple threads on here:  9 TDs to 2 INTs over last 6 games.  Baker, Allen, Jones?  these guys have 2 INTs by halftime in one game each and every week!  

But in all seriousness, the big knock on Sam was always his turnovers.  People sort of compared him to Favre; the "gunslinger" who takes chances, but unfortunately with that comes the INTs.  Now if we can get the Favre "gunslinger" TDs, and not the INTs?  man oh man!!  and imagine when we have Douglas actually run an off season and maybe we get an Oline!  The future is bright!!

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I've said it in multiple threads on here:  9 TDs to 2 INTs over last 6 games.  Baker, Allen, Jones?  these guys have 2 INTs by halftime in one game each and every week!  

But in all seriousness, the big knock on Sam was always his turnovers.  People sort of compared him to Favre; the "gunslinger" who takes chances, but unfortunately with that comes the INTs.  Now if we can get the Favre "gunslinger" TDs, and not the INTs?  man oh man!!  and imagine when we have Douglas actually run an off season and maybe we get an Oline!  The future is bright!!

I think the biggest improvement with Sam has been between the ears, and it may have happened during that 3 week layoff when he was hurt last November.  I'll also put myself in the camp of people who think the $10M we paid McCown last year was worth every penny.  It was a good investment to make having a guy like that in Sam's ear for his rookie year and getting Darnold off on the right foot.

I think Sam is processing risk/reward very quickly in his mind now on every drop back.  If he knows the situation (having a lead late vs. being down by 2 TDs) he seems to process whether or not a risky throw is worth it.  He throws balls away at the right time, doesn't take too many sacks, and tucks and runs pretty safely.

We all knew he had the arm and slight above average running ability for a QB when he came out of college.  But the two things that will turn him from good to great are his decision-making and truly elite ability to maneuver in the pocket forward, backward, left and right as if he has eyes in the back of his head.  This latter skill reduces sacks, adds another second to his time to make a decision and also creates some different throwing lanes and angles that seem to help him find guys crossing the middle like Crowder, etc.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think the biggest improvement with Sam has been between the ears, and it may have happened during that 3 week layoff when he was hurt last November.  I'll also put myself in the camp of people who think the $10M we paid McCown last year was worth every penny.  It was a good investment to make having a guy like that in Sam's ear for his rookie year and getting Darnold off on the right foot.

I think Sam is processing risk/reward very quickly in his mind now on every drop back.  If he knows the situation (having a lead late vs. being down by 2 TDs) he seems to process whether or not a risky throw is worth it.  He throws balls away at the right time, doesn't take too many sacks, and tucks and runs pretty safely.

We all knew he had the arm and slight above average running ability for a QB when he came out of college.  But the two things that will turn him from good to great are his decision-making and truly elite ability to maneuver in the pocket forward, backward, left and right as if he has eyes in the back of his head.  This latter skill reduces sacks, adds another second to his time to make a decision and also creates some different throwing lanes and angles that seem to help him find guys crossing the middle like Crowder, etc.

Totally agree with the McCown thing.  I know people on here get sensitive with the Jets-giants comparisons, but watching jones and eli interaction on the sidelines is cringe-worthy.  I mean every time Sam made a play last year, there was McCown clapping him up, giving encouragement.  when he threw an INT or made a bad play, there was McCown on the sidelines with Sam looking at the tablet, reviwing the play(s) to help him get better.  Say what you want, but that is invaluable.  having an angry backup looking for you to screw up so he can get back in there helps no one.

am sure uncle josh mentored to the best of his ability and that sam will always speak of him highly.

best thing was sam watching that mug play \like sh*t for three weeks...

" i can do THAT in my sleep and this dude has been in the league 15 years? LMFAO all the way to the mf bank!!!!"

200.gif

• Haha 1