James Burgess, Arthur Maulet, Bless Austin, Tarell Bashem.....

jetstream23

33 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

That is true but some people thought Bless had 1st round talent. Maulet is a nice surprise but to your point I think we need to start considering the fact that it seems like the entire defensive coaching staff might be really good at teaching and developing players as well.

Wouldn't that be something!  If Gregg and his staff are turning guys like Austion, Fatukasi, Phillips, etc. into starting caliber (and in some cases excellent starting caliber) NFL players then lookout!

It would go a looooong way if the Jets felt they didn't need to use a pick in the first 3 rounds on a CB.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It would go a looooong way if the Jets felt they didn't need to use a pick in the first 3 rounds on a CB.

I hope they don't draft a CB in the first 4 rounds, and address what is still a need position later in the draft and make it a priority in free agency. We need to load up on Olineman and especially WR's this draft because it so damn deep at those positions. First four picks need to be Oline and WR.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RobR said:

I hope they don't draft a CB in the first 4 rounds, and address what is still a need position later in the draft and make it a priority in free agency. We need to load up on Olineman and especially WR's this draft because it so damn deep at those positions. First four picks need to be Oline and WR.

Draftek has a current mock with the Jets going OT, Center, WR, CB.....I like the positional attack but we're going to Draft too late to land Andrew Thomas as they currently have us doing.

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Draftek has a current mock with the Jets going OT, Center, WR, CB.....I like the positional attack but we're going to Draft too late to land Andrew Thomas as they currently have us doing.

I still want to go WR/OL with our first two picks and if the right player is there I don't care which way they do it. Then  rounds three and four hit the same positions.

You know I always bang the drum for Oline but we need to come away with two receivers with our first four picks. Not only is the crop good but they're some big mofos and we need that in the worst way.

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

These are the types of guys that Gregg Williams has to work with.  Good, hardworking players....but nobody on the planet thinks they should be starters in the NFL.  They're starting for the Jets these days.

Doesn't matter.  We have a wizard at work, a leader of men, a guy who is putting schemes and plans together that are winning games and holding John Gruden, Derek Carr and the 6-4 Raiders to 3 points.

Let's hear it for Gregg Williams!

usatsi_13369732.jpg.356d3066ef5076d7f95a9fe9e9e17dfd.jpg

I fear we lose him after this year.  Has nothing to do with yelling.  He is a master tactician.  Brilliant with X’s and O’s.  Gase is actually supposedly the same way (with a strong QB).

So, how would Bowles and Kacey Rogers be doing with the EXACT same Defense right now?  Jets might be winless right now..

• Upvote 1

Just now, RobR said:

I still want to go WR/OL with our first two picks and if the right player is there I don't care which way they do it. Then  rounds three and four hit the same positions.

You know I always bang the drum for Oline but we need to come away with two receivers with our first four picks. Not only is the crop good but they're some big mofos and we need that in the worst way.

Two OLinemen minimum in the first 4 picks (two picks in Round 3).  I really want to see a similar strategy to 2006 and going after the most critical OLine spots of LT and Center.  I need to learn more about whether it would be a huge fail if the Jets don't address OT until the middle rounds.  Part of me wants to see the Jets trade back from their expected 9-12 spot to somewhere around 18-25, accumulate some more picks and get a Center like Tyler Biadasz from Wisconsin. Then come back with a WR and OT later.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I fear we lose him after this year.  Has nothing to do with yelling.  He is a master tactician.  Brilliant with X’s and O’s.  Gase is actually supposedly the same way (with a strong QB).

I'm not so sure.  Maybe Gregg Williams likes what's being built here and if thinks the Jets have the QB who can take them somewhere he might want to stick around.

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think the Cornerback play has become something really noteworthy.  Think about where we were with Trumaine Johnson and Daryl Roberts as the 1 and 2.  The Jets were getting torched as they rotated guys around.

Bless Austin is looking like a real find and Maulet has earned a spot on the field.  Amazing what those two guys are doing to keep the Jets respectable back there in the secondary, allowing Adams to come up more, etc.

And Roberts is still serviceable, just hurt.

I agree on Austin and Maulet....not to mention Hairston, also hurt that may be serviceable.

How is it that Williams can make cast offs and rookies look OK, but Bowles never did?

Hmm...

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Two OLinemen minimum in the first 4 picks (two picks in Round 3).  I really want to see a similar strategy to 2006 and going after the most critical OLine spots of LT and Center.  I need to learn more about whether it would be a huge fail if the Jets don't address OT until the middle rounds.  Part of me wants to see the Jets trade back from their expected 9-12 spot to somewhere around 18-25, accumulate some more picks and get a Center like Tyler Biadasz from Wisconsin. Then come back with a WR and OT later.

It would be a huge problem if we think we can get great Oline later in the draft because it is deep at the position. There is going to be a run on OT's and WR's and they are both need positions. Get it done Tanny and try and get too cute.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RobR said:

Who are the OL's and WR's you'd be ok with us drafting in the top 15?

The way the season is projecting, I'm thinking we're going to be picking the 12-15 range. Likely means we are out of the Jeudy, Lamb, Thomas and Wirfs range. 

4 minutes ago, RobR said:

It would be a huge problem if we think we can get great Oline later in the draft because it is deep at the position. There is going to be a run on OT's and WR's and they are both need positions. Get it done Tanny and try and get too cute.

Haven't we seen enough at this point to know that a WR is largely irrelevant until you can protect the QB?

With a  good OL, even marginal WR's can look pretty dang good.

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Who are the OL's and WR's you'd be ok with us drafting in the top 15?

The way the season is projecting, I'm thinking we're going to be picking the 12-15 range. Likely means we are out of the Jeudy, Lamb, Thomas and Wirfs range. 

It's way too early to tell. So much is going to change between now and the draft so I like to start with the Senior Bowl and then I'll do some tape. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Haven't we seen enough at this point to know that a WR is largely irrelevant until you can protect the QB?

With a  good OL, even marginal WR's can look pretty dang good.

I agree and that is why I want to draft two of each. We can't miss on this WR class and by the fourth round it's going to be 2014 all over again. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm not so sure.  Maybe Gregg Williams likes what's being built here and if thinks the Jets have the QB who can take them somewhere he might want to stick around.

In this Era Gregg is not hireable as a HC. The Jets are lucky to have him.  The hire the Johnsons need to make is a real OC. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm fearing that they might be picking much lower than anticipated 3 weeks ago.  We're right in the midst of a soon to be, at the very least, 5 game winning streak.