New Look At Possible Trade Partners For Adams With New Draft Rankings And Team Needs

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, we do.  That's what happens when you hand an ILB a deal that hammers your cap at the rate of $17.5M+ over the next 3 seasons.  

You do realize we'll have to pay Darnold too, right?  

I thought the Mosley contract was stupid. That money could have been spent on 2 good offensive lineman.

That being said, I don't think we have salary cap issues.

Sam is under contract for another 2 years. 3 if you include the 5th year option.

Jets have 60 mill in cap space going into next season which is 12th most cap space available. Add in a few cuts and we can get to 80 mill available easy.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, we do.  That's what happens when you hand an ILB a deal that hammers your cap at the rate of $17.5M+ per over the next 3 seasons.  

You do realize we'll have to pay Darnold in a couple years too, right?  

Macc, the gift that keeps on giving.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And based on this inequality, and Adams being viewed as the best player on the team, you think its smart to pay him market value rather than fix the inequity on the roster?  Yes, its possible to do both at the same time.  No, its not smart to try to do so.  

Unfortunately, we've been watching several GMs try to fix the inequity of talent on the roster.  Woody would have done better just using the consensus JN draft thread.  Now we have JD, who may or may not do better.  We can only hope.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Macc, the gift that keeps on giving.  

You are against paying an ilb a huge contract but you want to pay a safety that playrs like an ilb a huge contract.

You also said we will only go as far as Darnold will take us, agreed.  that is why we can sacrifice a safety to get a Wr and and olineman if some team wants to trade us a bounty for Adams.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, PepPep said:

You and I both know full well that the Jets can pay Jamal AND field a competitive team. Its complete b.s. that resigning Jamal is the one thing that will hand-cuff this team from future success. It's just not true. There's always ways to find money to pay good players on your team. Don't the Jets have an out to cut Bell next year without much of a cap hit? If they draft a franchise LT they won't have to pay big money to one for at least a few years right? Don't they have a solid starting CB in Bless signed on a cheap rookie contract? Aren't the Jets planning to draft a potential #1 WR in this deep WR draft? What am I missing? 

Look, I get it, trading Adams may be the best move for the franchise. JD may not see the value in signing a safety to a large contract. Getting a 1st round pick at this juncture might be critical in the rebuild and Darnold's development if the Jets can get a top WR or O-line prospect.

But this narrative that the Jets cannot field a competitive team or rebuild around Darnold while re-signing Jamal Adams is just not true and every person who pushes it knows it. 

Good players don’t demand top dollar. Great ones do. Newsfash! Jamal ain’t a great player. He’s decent. That’s not worth 15 M per year. Just ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You are against paying an ilb a huge contract but you want to pay a safety that playrs like an ilb a huge contract.

You also said we will only go as far as Darnold will take us, agreed.  that is why we can sacrifice a safety to get a Wr and and olineman if some team wants to trade us a bounty for Adams.

I have no insider information to gauge whether there are any teams willing to offer a "bounty" for Jamal Adams.  I also have no idea what kind of players the new GM is capable of drafting.  

Does he draft?

Jachai Polite over Chase Winovich

Stephen Hill over Alshon Jefferey

The Infamous Idzik 12

I guess I'd rather see him keep Pro-Bowl players on our roster.  I thought the purpose of the draft was to draft elite talent at as many positions as possible so the team could contend for something.  

37 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

I thought the purpose of the draft was to draft elite talent at as many positions as possible so the team could contend for something.  

* At premium positions wherever possible

Hence why several early round draft picks spent on OL, WR, EDGE and/or CB would be more valuable than paying an "elite talent" at a position that doesn't matter.  

Teams that make high picks at non-premium positions and/or spend big money on non-premium positions never "contend for something".  

Paying Jamal would just be doubling down on the strategy of an old regime.  JD paying Adams $15M per would only tell me we're screwed.  Letting him walk while getting nothing but a compensatory pick would only be slightly better.

1 hour ago, Jetscode1 said:

Yes, I prefer watching Jets football versus reading player draft profiles.

That great Jets football that hasn't had a winning season in 4 years and hasn't made the playoffs in nearly a decade?  THAT Jets football?

Draft profiles are all we've got my man.  This roster blows.  Unless you're the cheating Pats, you can't hope to win without depending on a bunch of cheap, young unknowns.  

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hence why several early round draft picks spent on OL, WR, EDGE and/or CB would be more valuable than paying an "elite talent" at a position that doesn't matter.  

Teams that make high picks at non-premium positions and/or spend big money on non-premium positions never "contend for something".  

Never?  The defending champs are paying their safety (McCourty) quite a lot of money.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That great Jets football that hasn't had a winning season in 4 years and hasn't made the playoffs in nearly a decade?  THAT Jets football?

Draft profiles are all we've got my man.  This roster blows.  Unless you're the cheating Pats, you can't hope to win without depending on a bunch of cheap, young unknowns.  

Yes, I've watched THAT Jets football for many a decade.  Foolhardy I know.  Many years ago  I used to enjoy reading draft profiles.  I used to make a short list and post mock drafts.  Did a decent job but learned the Jets didn't want my advice and there were many posters more knowledgeable than I.  Woody could have used the draft thread to build a deeper roster than the idiots he's chosen to run our drafts under his tenure.  

1 minute ago, Jetscode1 said:

Yes, I've watched THAT Jets football for many a decade.  Foolhardy I know.  Many years ago  I used to enjoy reading draft profiles.  I used to make a short list and post mock drafts.  Did a decent job but learned the Jets didn't want my advice and there were many posters more knowledgeable than I.  Woody could have used the draft thread to build a deeper roster than the idiots he's chosen to run our drafts under his tenure.  

Yes, agreed.  The GMs Woody has hired have been awful.  Preaching to the choir there.

But having said that, we have to assume that Douglas is going to be good at his job, or at least significantly better.  The Johnsons had a lot less to do with his hiring, since he presumably came here moreso because of the Gase/Darnold duo than anything else.

If Douglas sucks at his job, we're screwed regardless.  Might as well hope he's good and giving him as many draft picks as possible.  He's got a 6-year contract so he's not going anywhere for a long time.  

4 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

McCourty is getting paid $13M.  Maybe not as cheap as you suggested.

And I'm saying anything the Pats do when it comes to allocating resources should be thrown out of the equation.  They save on the cap by paying Brady under the table, so they can afford to splurge a bit elsewhere.

Besides, McCourty is more of a FS/CB than a SS.  He has 5 INT's this season (26 for his career, plus 86 PD's) even at 32 years old. 

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Paying Jamal would just be doubling down on the strategy of an old regime.  JD paying Adams $15M per would only tell me we're screwed.  Letting him walk while getting nothing but a compensatory pick would only be slightly better.

The Ravens currently have pretty big contracts tied to a safety, a guard, a DT, a kicker and a punter.

Edit:. I'm coming back to add that I don't necessarily care one way or another what the outcome is with Adams. I think both scenarios can be positive for the Jets.

I do however disagree with the notion that you can only spend money on premium positions.  Guys worth big money at "premium" positions aren't shaking free often to pay them.  Those have to come from within.  

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The Ravens currently have pretty big contracts tied to a safety, a guard, a DT, a kicker and a punter.

Marshal Yanda is an all-time great G and future HOFer.

Earl Thomas is a 7X Pro Bowl FS and possible future HOFer.

Justin Tucker is the best Kicker in the game.  Worth every penny.  Just look at how many threads were devoted to Kickers this season then tell me he's not.  

Their P is the 3rd highest paid in the game, but nothing exorbitant.  

You've got me on Brandon Williams.  He's an overpaid NT/3-4 DE.  

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, agreed.  The GMs Woody has hired have been awful.  Preaching to the choir there.

But having said that, we have to assume that Douglas is going to be good at his job, or at least significantly better.  The Johnsons had a lot less to do with his hiring, since he presumably came here moreso because of the Gase/Darnold duo than anything else.

If Douglas sucks at his job, we're screwed regardless.  Might as well hope he's good and giving him as many draft picks as possible.  He's got a 6-year contract so he's not going anywhere for a long time.  

The Johnsons (CJ this time) had more involvement in this hire as Woody outsourced his hiring to Korn Ferry, then went NFL insiders to hire a scout who couldn't draft.

Idzik had 12 picks that one year.  Only five years ago, I wonder how many are still active on an NFL roster?  He picked Calvin Pryor over several good WRs but he did find us Jace Amaro.  Good times.   

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Justin Tucker is the best Kicker in the game.  Worth every penny.  Just look at how many threads were devoted to Kickers this season then tell me he's not.  

So you're saying its a good idea to acquire/retain/pay elite players?  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But they aren't premium positions.  If your argument is that it's ok to pay these non premium positions big money if they are studs, then paying Adams shouldn't be such a ridiculous notion.

15 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Now take a look at the young players they've taken in the draft/signed recently at premium positions:

• QB Lamar Jackson (2018 draft, 1st rounder)
  • LT Ronnie Stanley (2016 draft, 1st rounder)
  • WR Marquise Brown (2019 draft, 1st rounder)
  • RT Orlando Brown (2018 draft, 3rd rounder)
  • CB Marlon Humphrey (2017 draft, 1st rounder)
  • EDGE Jaylon Ferguson (2019 draft, 3rd rounder)
  • CB Brandon Carr (signed to 4-year contract in 2017)

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

But they aren't premium positions.  If your argument is that it's ok to pay these non premium positions big money if they are studs, then paying Adams shouldn't be such a ridiculous notion.

G is a premium position.

FS is a much more important position than SS.  

Now see above for what the Ravens have done in the draft/FA.  Once you build that core of premium talent at premium positions, THEN you can spend at non-premium ones.  

You don't make a Jamal Adams the core of your team.  That's something the Redskins did with Landon Collins and it failed miserably.  

Do one of those DraftNetwork mocks and select the Jets and Cowboys. Assume you get the Cowboys 1 and 3. This is what my spectacular mock drafting yields us in just the first three rounds: 

1-10: Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama

1-15: Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson

2-42: Daryl Williams, C, Mississippi 

3-68: Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah

3-74: Gabriel Davis, WR, UCF

3-79: JK Dobbins, RB, Ohio State

Take that $15 mil per Adams wants and use it to pay Brandon Scherff or Yannick Ngakoue

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Do one of those DraftNetwork mocks and select the Jets and Cowboys. Assume you get the Cowboys 1 and 3. This is what my spectacular mock drafting yields us in just the first three rounds: 

1-10: Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama

1-15: Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson

2-42: Daryl Williams, C, Mississippi 

3-68: Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah

3-74: Gabriel Davis, WR, UCF

3-79: JK Dobbins, RB, Ohio State

Take that $15 mil per Adams wants and use it to pay Brandon Scherff or Yannick Ngakoue

We get it.  You prefer playing Jets mock GM versus watching All-Pro talent on the field.  I wish it was as easy as that.  I recall the 2012 draft, most of us arguing over who the Jets would choose.  Many wanted Melvin Ingram, others wanted David Decastro.  Many argued over drafting a guard in the first round for a non-premium position.  We draft Quinton Coples.  Go figure.  I'd keep Adams and encourage him to build a HoF resume here with the Jets.

2 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

We get it.  You prefer playing Jets mock GM versus watching All-Pro talent on the field.  I wish it was as easy as that.  I recall the 2012 draft, most of us arguing over who the Jets would choose.  Many wanted Melvin Ingram, others wanted David Decastro.  Many argued over drafting a guard in the first round for a non-premium position.  We draft Quinton Coples.  Go figure.  I'd keep Adams and encourage him to build a HoF resume here with the Jets.

Copies was an outright dog that we only drafted because Rex thought he could get him to play hard 

• Upvote 1