Mariota

LockeJET

17 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

Hes a guy who I'd like us to target as a backup quarterback in the off season. He's an unrestricted free agent and I'm not sure a team is gonna sign him to start.

Too expensive for a backup.  He's only a good fit for a team that isn't sure about their starter or needs a stopgap guy.  He's a poor fit here. 

I know, we're not 100 % sure on Sam, and Douglas probably isn't either.  But there's really no question he's the 2020 starter. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Too expensive for a backup.  He's only a good fit for a team that isn't sure about their starter or needs a stopgap guy.  He's a poor fit here. 

I know, we're not 100 % sure on Sam, and Douglas probably isn't either.  But there's really no question he's the 2020 starter. 

Too expensive? How? Do you think that he'll be getting offers from other teams to be a starter? If not then he's going to be getting back up money.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Who knows? Be interesting to see what Mariota is worth on the open market. I don't see any team handing him their starting job. Best hope would be an "opportunity to compete," which is really just an opportunity to be a place-holder, anyway. 

He is the kind of guy I wouldn't mind as a backup. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

Who knows? Be interesting to see what Mariota is worth on the open market. I don't see any team handing him their starting job. Best hope would be an "opportunity to compete," which is really just an opportunity to be a place-holder, anyway. 

He is the kind of guy I wouldn't mind as a backup. 

Oh I definitely agree, I'd be very much OK with bringing him in too. 

But as a former # 2 overall pick, Mariota would have to be on the more expensive end as far as backup QB's go.  He'd either be as expensive or more expensive than guys like Keenum ($7.5M per), Bridgewater ($7.3M) and Tannehill ($7M).  For a team like us with a million needs, that's a luxury we can't afford.  

3 hours ago, LockeJET said:

Hes a guy who I'd like us to target as a backup quarterback in the off season. He's an unrestricted free agent and I'm not sure a team is gonna sign him to start.

Agree with talking to Mariota.  Not sure what the money looks like but doubt anyone pursues him as a starter until he proves himself.

16 hours ago, LockeJET said:

Mariota most likely wants a chance to start on anrher team. Playing behind Darnold is not going to be his first choice. I would bet he ends up on Miami or the Pats. 

He needs to go some where to build his confidence up and get behind a coaching staff that believes in him.  Marcus has never the same after he broke leg and had flare ups with his wrist.  I don't think hes finished but he's a guy who feeds off of positive surroundings.  I've been an Oregon fan my whole life and he is the greatest quarterback I ever saw and the best person the program ever recruited.