We have to get back to the Playoffs

Jetster

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Confused.  I thought this was a playoff roster when healthy.  You think it will get worse? 

No.  But....

I now know who Sam Darnold is and I love it.  Two seasons of passing the eye test.  Minimizing mistakes.  Top 10 QBR with weak WR's.  He can win a Super Bowl here.  My prayers have been answered.

I now know half of who Adam Gase is and I'm in a good place.  He's got the toughest part down pat-  leadership/overcoming adversity/culture.  Jury is still out on strategy-  playcalling/creativity/halftime adjustments.  Need to see him with a healthy roster, but I'm feeling pretty good about his abilities as he marvelously navigated a 6-2 back half with an injured roster.

But Joe Douglas?  I don't have a clue.  I like him.  Looks like he has a good pedigree.  But its his offseason now.  The pressure is on JD, not Sam, not Gase. 

So, if the roster is reloaded decently, we definitely should be a 9+ win team.  Tough schedule, but do-able.  But if JD swings and misses, its another year of looking from the outside.

SAR I

3 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

So it's the Jimmies and the Joes, not the X's and the O's. Give JD 3 years they will be in the playoffs. I guarantee it, lol.

See post above.....we pretty much know Darnold and Gase and their upsides and downsides.

JD is a complete unknown.  GM is so important in today's NFL.  We've got a lot of holes to fill, holes that 80% of the other teams need to fill as well.

SAR I

3 hours ago, JetsLife said:

I think you and other buyers of this AFC champions gear jinxed us for the next decade. All that stuff belonged in Pakistan like you said. Do some voodoo chants on said gear so we make the playoffs next year. 

Done.  I only wore it once anyway.

SAR I

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Christopher Johnson needs to let the front office and coaches know there is a playoff mandate in 2020. No playoffs and they're fired.

1.  Absolutely the wrong move for a coaching staff exactly 1 year old and a GM + front office exactly 0 years old.

2.  Absolutely the wrong move for a franchise that finds it difficult to recruit top coaches and free agents due to its poor reputation in many areas, one of which is a knee-jerk over-reaction to whiny fans.

"Hey, Joe Douglas, you were the hottest young name in 2019 and we hired you after the draft and FA period, but you're fired if you don't make the playoffs after your first draft."  Do you even read what you type after you've typed it?

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

1.  Absolutely the wrong move for a coaching staff exactly 1 year old and a GM + front office exactly 0 years old.

2.  Absolutely the wrong move for a franchise that finds it difficult to recruit top coaches and free agents due to its poor reputation in many areas, one of which is a knee-jerk over-reaction to whiny fans.

"Hey, Joe Douglas, you were the hottest young name in 2019 and we hired you after the draft and FA period, but you're fired if you don't make the playoffs after your first draft."  Do you even read what you type after you've typed it?

SAR I

If we have another losing season and don't make the playoffs I don't see how you keep it all together. Fire Gase but keep Douglas? Odds are his off-season was a dud if we end up with another  losing season. I'd be open to keeping Douglas but the Jets may need a franchise RESET when Woody is back from across the pond. There is NOTHING WRONG with putting PRESSURE on the people in charge to win. The Jets should not accept another wasted/losing seasons. Every year it's more excuses why they finished the season with 9+ losses. It's going on a decade of futility for the Jets. It's pathetic.

4 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

We've missed the playoffs for far too long. Before we enter the free agency and NFL draft phases of the off-season Christopher Johnson needs to let the front office and coaches know there is a playoff mandate in 2020. No playoffs and they're fired.

Animated GIF

I get the sentiment, but you really have to see how the season goes and how the team responds to different types of adversity. What if they go 10-6 but miss the playoffs? 9-7?

What if Darnold gets Ebola and they go 8-8, but win their last 8 games with a backup QB that Douglas signed?

I think we need to see a greatly improved roster and team. Beyond that, I want to see what they actually do before determining job status for 2021. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

If we have another losing season and don't make the playoffs I don't see how you keep it all together. Fire Gase but keep Douglas? Odds are his off-season was a dud if we end up with another  losing season. I'd be open to keeping Douglas but the Jets may need a franchise RESET when Woody is back from across the pond. There is NOTHING WRONG with putting PRESSURE on the people in charge to win. The Jets should not accept another wasted/losing seasons. Every year it's more excuses why they they finished the season with 9+ losses. It's going on a decade of futility for the Jets. It's pathetic. 

We all feel your frustration.  Truly.  You know this.

The reset just happened!  Bowles and Maccagnan and the entire front office, the entire coaching staff, even the Jets President were all terminated in 2019.  So you got what you wanted!  Complete reset!

What's disappointing- for you-   are the injuries and the mono.  You can't see past them.  You think we suck.

What's exciting- for me-  is that I can see through all the challenges and know that 6-2 after 1-7 was an unbelievable accomplishment for every man and woman working at Florham Park and there is no where to go but up from here. 

In many ways this was better than a one-and-done playoff appearance.  We are now pressure-tested, we now know that this team is tough and does not crumble in the face of adversity.  We know we have a tight team that rallied behind its coach against all odds and the media and some nasty fans.  We know we have some surprising depth and some young draft picks look like they might actually be really good.

I can't get you out of your funk, so I won't try.  What I can tell you is that there are 1000 excited Jets fans out there for every 1 of you who are down in the dumps.  Get over yourself.  Learn to view the glass as half full.  Trust me; this time it actually is.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

It would be nothing short of amazing if the Jets actually made the playoffs in 2020. The drafting had been so poor for so long that this team is without a doubt the very most untalented team in Jets history.

A coach who can get his team to play hard sometimes compensates for talent.  Something Gregg Williams and Adam Gase proved to us this season.

SAR I

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

We all feel your frustration.  Truly.  You know this.

The reset just happened!  Bowles and Maccagnan and the entire front office, the entire coaching staff, even the Jets President were all terminated in 2019.  So you got what you wanted!  Complete reset!

What's disappointing- for you-   are the injuries and the mono.  You can't see past them.  You think we suck.

What's exciting- for me-  is that I can see through all the challenges and know that 6-2 after 1-7 was an unbelievable accomplishment for every man and woman working at Florham Park and there is no where to go but up from here. 

In many ways this was better than a one-and-done playoff appearance.  We are now pressure-tested, we now know that this team is tough and does not crumble in the face of adversity.  We know we have a tight team that rallied behind its coach against all odds and the media and some nasty fans.  We know we have some surprising depth and some young draft picks look like they might actually be really good.

I can't get you out of your funk, so I won't try.  What I can tell you is that there are 1000 excited Jets fans out there for every 1 of you who are down in the dumps.  Get over yourself.  Learn to view the glass as half full.  Trust me; this time it actually is.

SAR I

You're not telling me anything I already don't know when it comes to the injuries the 2019 Jets team faced. I watched every single game. I don't blame Joe Douglas for Mac's draft picks and free agent signings - I do blame them for signing Ryan Kalil. The Jets are obviously a work in progress with both Joe Douglas and Adam Gase entering their first off-season together. At the same time I expect, to see this team improve upon their 7-9 record.

The Jets have plenty of resources available to them to improve upon this team in both phases of the off-season, first free agency, then the 2020 NFL draft. Entering the free agency the Jets are projected to have around the 10th most salary cap space at $65.3 million. Heading into the draft they currently have 8 draft picks with half of them in the first 79 picks. Joe Douglas has a chance to really put his handprint on this team in the 2020 off-season.

Bottom line, if you want to tote the Jets 6-2 finish vs the weak part of the schedule, then you better expect them to make big improvements for next season when they get a bunch of players healthy, and make some additions to the team via free agency and the draft. Joe Douglas and the rest of the scouts and coaches have enough information from the 2019 season to make some shrewd decisions in how they want to move forward shaping the 53 man roster for the 2020 season. 

The HONEYMOON with the Jets IS OVER for Adam Gase. It's time to show us he can build an offense that fits the pieces we have instead of forcing the players to fit an offense he wants to run. Part of being a great coach is listening to your players and devising a game plan that will get the most production. 

Lastly, you say I'm in a funk. No I'm not, however, I'm a fan of a team that's in an almost decade long funk. NOT ONE winning season or playoffs since 2010. Ownership needs to apply pressure on this coaching staff and everyone in the building and demand this team make the playoffs next season. Let's say they go 10-6 and just miss the playoffs. Obviously I wouldn't want to blow it all up, but I would want to remove the weakest links on the coaching staff and in the building. Hold people accountable. NO MORE EXCUSES!

The truth about you @SAR I, is you exhibit narcissistic personality traits the way you brag about your money, BMW's and sign your name at the end of each and every one of your post. You are a myopic Pollyanna Jets fan. That's your shtick which is fine, just don't tell me to get over myself. 

Best regards,

playtowinthegame