Netflix Aaron Hernandez Documentary

JTJet

1 hour ago, slats said:

First, “the homo thing,” is not cool. At all. 

Second, I only opened this thread to comment that I thought they leaned way to heavily on the gay angle, having that other gay player -who, to my knowledge, has never killed anyone- commenting on Hernandez without having ever met him. 

Didn't like that either. RYan O'Callaghan has had a very difficult time in his life, and wish him no ill, quite the contrary. But his segments looked they were added in to give the documentary a PC veneer. His experiences weren't Hernandez's. It's not a gay thing. He isn't a murderer nor a sociopath. O'Calloghan's problems really have nothing do with Hernandez's(Aside; many years ago the Chargers' front office had a team of psychologists examine the kinds of personalities who tended to play in different position groups; OL guys being the most organized and cerebral, QBs being the best leaders, corners having short memories, WRs and TEs having huge egos, pass rushers being lunatics, etc. ) . Keeps coming back to Hernandez being a very bad guy even if some of his issues arose from and contributed to his crimes. Because you can explain those things doesn't excuse them. There are tons of people who have crappy childhoods, terrible parents, get involved in dumb things, abuse substances and may have CTE. And yet almost none of those people  murder 3 people and almost kill another. 

• Upvote 3

On 2/22/2020 at 10:30 AM, Biggs said:

I'm heterosexual and the hetro thing never made me want to kill myself.  There were a few women who drove me bat sh*t crazy.  Probably doesn't count.

Dude i think being a hetero in a hetero society vs being gay in a hetero society are two very different things

• Upvote 3

On 2/22/2020 at 10:28 AM, slats said:

First, “the homo thing,” is not cool. At all. 

Second, I only opened this thread to comment that I thought they leaned way to heavily on the gay angle, having that other gay player -who, to my knowledge, has never killed anyone- commenting on Hernandez without having ever met him. 

Slats, i said the “ homo thing” for brevity. I wasnt bashing or goofing on “homos”

imo, youre way too sensitive. 
im not gonna change. Neither will you so we can agree to disagree but its a free country and i can say what i want

22 hours ago, Bugg said:

Didn't like that either. RYan O'Callaghan has had a very difficult time in his life, and wish him no ill, quite the contrary. But his segments looked they were added in to give the documentary a PC veneer. His experiences weren't Hernandez's. It's not a gay thing. He isn't a murderer nor a sociopath. O'Calloghan's problems really have nothing do with Hernandez's(Aside; many years ago the Chargers' front office had a team of psychologists examine the kinds of personalities who tended to play in different position groups; OL guys being the most organized and cerebral, QBs being the best leaders, corners having short memories, WRs and TEs having huge egos, pass rushers being lunatics, etc. ) . Keeps coming back to Hernandez being a very bad guy even if some of his issues arose from and contributed to his crimes. Because you can explain those things doesn't excuse them. There are tons of people who have crappy childhoods, terrible parents, get involved in dumb things, abuse substances and may have CTE. And yet almost none of those people  murder 3 people and almost kill another. 

The documentary was made for entertainment value. Not scientific research, the other gay NFLer is brought in to create a narrative as was the LB that retired after on year. Netflix is in the business of entertainment. All in all it was an interesting 3 or so hours, with no more answers as to why. Just assumptions. 

well except that the mother was a POS. That’s pretty clear and his friends weren’t any better. 

23 hours ago, Bugg said:

Yep.  He was a sociopath, and his upbringing did him no favors.  Doesn't mean we can't call him a POS.

41 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

The documentary was made for entertainment value. Not scientific research, the other gay NFLer is brought in to create a narrative as was the LB that retired after on year. Netflix is in the business of entertainment. All in all it was an interesting 3 or so hours, with no more answers as to why. Just assumptions. 

well except that the mother was a POS. That’s pretty clear and his friends weren’t any better. 

Get that. But neither guy really added anything. 

There really are answers why though: Hernandez was a sociopath. His background no doubt contributed to that. But he had a choice; we all do every day.  And he choose to go bad. What gave him more of a chance to do bad things was being a great athlete because it allowed him from a very young age to manipulate people and situations to his advantage. Which made it a horrifically fascinating story, because there are very few people like that. In these terms; Lawrence Taylor or John Matuzak might have done some loony things, but neither them nor anyone else murdered 2 people over a spilled drink with all the thought you might give to changing your socks or paying your electric bill. And then go right to training camp like it's no big deal. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I don't.  Most people don't care who you're sleeping with. 

Thats true but when u have a crazy macho dad and youre the te for the pats i can see differently

man its easy for heteros think its easy for homos . Oh no, i said “heteros” i hope thats not offensive my bad

8 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Slats, i said the “ homo thing” for brevity. I wasnt bashing or goofing on “homos”

im not gonna change. Neither will you so we can agree to disagree but its a free country and i can say what i want

Personally, I’m not all that sensitive, but I need to try to be as a mod here. So while the country’s free and so is this website (unless you’re interested in becoming a premium member!), I can stop you from posting if you can’t possibly stop yourself from typing slurs. I think stopping using slurs is probably the better option for both of us. 

Thanks! 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Personally, I’m not all that sensitive, but I need to try to be as a mod here. So while the country’s free and so is this website (unless you’re interested in becoming a premium member!), I can stop you from posting if you can’t possibly stop yourself from typing slurs. I think stopping using slurs is probably the better option for both of us. 

Thanks! 

I understand. But homo isnt a slur. Its just short for homosexual. So if i wrote the full word homosexual out, this wouldnt be happing? kinda silly to me. 
I wasnt goofing on gays. I support and respect gay folks. Sure i do make gay jokes at times but what bothers me is this “untouchable” status thats created. Thats where, to me, the hypersensitivity begins. I didnt call the dude a faggot....

Nobody would make any comments if someone said “that limey” or “drunk irishman”

ok rant over. Hernandez was a pos though....kinda felt for him one level....sounded like a fun guy at times but no excuses for his deeds

11 hours ago, HighPitch said:

It is a free country. Which is why I can say to you, you don't have to change.

That being said if you don't you will be banned.

Thanks @slats you are 100% right.

I watched it.  They didn't seem to mention that he was a gang member at all.  Was there a reason for that, or are the acting like he wasn't now?  

Seemed like the girlfriend came across looking good and I think she had to give a ton of access, like all those telephone tapes.  I know some of the "Blood-for-life" tattoos were post-incarceration, but I thought it was well known that he hung with the "wrong crowd" from before the draft.