The Anderson (and Shell) Conundrum

varjet

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Shell is one of only two starters on the OL I would be comfortable ever starting again in an NFL game. 

He's not great but he's solid, still relatively young, and a homegrown guy. 

Harrison at Center should be given a shot to start next season. I think Edoga should be given an opportunity to continue to develop and compete for a starting spot at RT. I think A.Lewis should be brought back and given an opportunity to compete for a starting OG spot. This, of course depends on who else the Jets sign in FA.

As far as RT: I'd much rather have Edoga compete for the RT spot with a Rd. 1 or Rd. 2 rookie than the Jets bringing back Shell for any kind of borderline starter or proven vet backup money. Let's just say, he's not worth much more than 3 mil a year and will be asking for closer to 6 mil a year. No thank you.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

As far as RT: I'd much rather have Edoga compete for the RT spot with a Rd. 1 or Rd. 2 rookie than the Jets bringing back Shell for any kind of borderline starter or proven vet backup money. Let's just say, he's not worth much more than 3 mil a year and will be asking for closer to 6 mil a year. No thank you.  

I agree with you, but the Jets have perhaps what is currently the worst/understaffed OL roster in the NFL.  May not even be close.   Harrison, Winters, Edoga and McDermott are under contract.  That is it.  

So basically, another team would pay Shell $6mm but the team with basically no OL and $60mm+ of cap space before more cuts that actually played with him 4 years does not think Shell is worth that?  

That is why I come back to the same place.  Make the two of them fair offers now, but if they turn them down to try their luck in the FA market, basically half the offers when they come back, so just find someone else to sign.  Or have the offer explode.  Robbie gets $10mm per year now, x3, half guaranteed, or $8mm after FA.   Shell gets $4m x3, half guaranteed, $2mm after FA.

I would have to think JD has already tried to sign them, and he was turned down by both.  No other explanation really. 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

Harrison at Center should be given a shot to start next season. I think Edoga should be given an opportunity to continue to develop and compete for a starting spot at RT. I think A.Lewis should be brought back and given an opportunity to compete for a starting OG spot. This, of course depends on who else the Jets sign in FA.

Harrison is the other guy I was thinking of.

Not crazy about anyone else. 

On 1/19/2020 at 5:34 PM, phill1c said:

I'm inclined to bring both back for reasonable contracts.

• For Anderson, he has speed. You can't teach that and it's the most important weapon a WR has. He plays an important role. taking the top off. So, yeah, you may have to pay a premium

I'm sure we'd all like to keep both on reasonable contracts...but then you go on to say for Anderson, you may have to pay the man a 'premium'?

The issue isn't the players per se, but the amount they'll command on a new contract....and, Anderson isn't worth a 'premium' at this point IMO.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:59 PM, varjet said:

We actively debate as to whether Robby Anderson would be worth a large multi-year contract with the Jets.

Without Anderson, the Jets’ WRs would be Crowder and V. Smith.   The Jets obviously need a WR, even if they draft one or two.

It would make me a little jittery to pay Anderson a large contract.

So this is where I get lost-if the Jets have one of the worst, if not the worst, WR corps without Anderson, and they have not renewed him yet and many in the know don’t think he is worth the risk of a large contract, why would another team pay him a large contract?  Do they take greater risks?  Are their WRs even worse?   Maybe Anderson is not worth as much money as people think, and the Jets could sign him for a more fair/lesser amount of money.

I think the same thing could be said about Shell, even as a backup.  If a team with an OL as bad as the Jets don’t think that Shell is worth a lot of money, why would another team?

And the Jets have been watching Robby and Shell for four years.  I just don’t understand.  

For Robby they should use the transition tag allowing Jets to match any offers made for him. That way we see what he's worth and make the decision as to whether or not we want to match any offer he gets. Also, buys more time to see what other WR scenarios we may want to pursue. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 4:48 AM, Smashmouth said:

Robbie made a few very nice catches this year and at times even made a few nice contested ones but that was not the norm before this year. If anyone was within a few feet to contest the pass is was almost certainly not caught or a drop. He can't run a WR screen because he gets tossed like a rag doll. Did everyone forget this stuff because he made some nice plays in a contract year ? He's a number 3 and  that's about it.

...before this year.. Well, a) he's a year older and wiser. Didn't have the bad offseason. had a qb to practice with.

SHOWED DEVELOPMENT.

I wouldn't overpay. but, really, in the grand scheme of an NFL football team salary wise, management very rarely does because the amount of guaranteed money makes all those "outrageous, cap killing, overpayments" irrelevant after two years anyway.

The Jets should re-sign Anderson because it's not going to be expensive if they both want it and Anderson has shown growth, professionally and personally, which is exactly what you're looking for in a player and teammate.

On 1/22/2020 at 4:54 PM, UnknownJetFan said:

For Robby they should use the transition tag allowing Jets to match any offers made for him. That way we see what he's worth and make the decision as to whether or not we want to match any offer he gets. Also, buys more time to see what other WR scenarios we may want to pursue. 

Agree

On 1/21/2020 at 3:06 PM, PepPep said:

Lewis, Harrison and Compton all May start next year which is fine if we draft a stud LT and sign Conklin

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Lewis, Harrison and Compton all May start next year which is fine if we draft a stud LT and sign Conklin

Not Compton.  I am thinking another FA, or a 3rd round draft pick.

Could also be Beachum at LT while we draft a WR or Epenesa.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 12:22 AM, Beerfish said:

We see the guys on KC get a short medium pass and have the potential to go all the way.

It helps to have Kelce and Watkins lining up next to him.

That's what it's about: having a corps of receivers that each pose [unique] problems. I'm for keeping Anderson AND getting more talent at the other spot, Thomas's spot. Or just drafting a Kelvin Benjamin type for development. IMO, WR is not the dire need it has been, assuming Anderson is resigned. Depth is an issue, which is saying more 2nd/3rd day draft pick. I mean, we got Smith for a hill of beans...

OL: nothing helps a passing game like a running game. And nothing wins in December and like a running game. Don't get me wrong, a passing game is a must and is the first priority, offensively. But a running game augments a passing game and puts teams away AFTER you have a 3+ score lead. So, with TWO high-quality FAs, the Jets need to come up with one of them. My preference: Scherff. My dream: Scherff and Castonzo. Then I draft Edge and CB and whatever knicks and knacks I can get. a guy can dream...

• 6 months later...
On 1/20/2020 at 4:57 AM, MichaelScott said:

An IQ south of a illiterate, empty jar of mayo will give anyone the sense of "something not right"

(Yeah, illiterate empty jar of mayo. Not just an empty jar)

@Trolly McTrollface are you still bothered by people noting Anderson's intellectual disabilities? This is kind of old news at this point, no?