ESPN -- Chad Pennington

AVM

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually agree with Bob and 124. I don't know what it is, call it gut feeling, but I just believe Pennington is going to come back and stay relatively healthy. I think he will be the Jets starting quarterback next year and that is a major reason why I would rather draft & develop a quarterback whether than throw away a proven Pro Bowler on Rivers or give up basically a 1st-rounder for Schaub.

Pennington is a decent starter and that's exactly what he will be next year. This team will never win a Super Bowl with him, his arm is too damn weak. But he has shown in the past that he can lead this team into the playoffs. Without Herm to impede progress, maybe we can luck up and get to the big game even with Pennington. He needs to accept the pay-cut, which is a very fair offer, IMO.

Pretty much sums up how I feel. Chad will take the pay cut imo. Because that is the type of player he is. I also thought I heard Mort say that Chad was way ahead of schedule.

wow, i should post relevant things more often...people actually post back lol.

and btw--this is the ONE player i expect to take a pay cut....and im with bob and 124(as if everyone didnt already know that).....may he come back and bring the excitement that i missed all year long with him.

**this btw, is how mangini will beat the pats next year :-D

Pennington is a decent starter and that's exactly what he will be next year. This team will never win a Super Bowl with him, his arm is too damn weak. But he has shown in the past that he can lead this team into the playoffs. Without Herm to impede progress, maybe we can luck up and get to the big game even with Pennington. He needs to accept the pay-cut, which is a very fair offer, IMO.

Why keep him then? to make Jets fan suffer? If anybody in the front office feels the same way and he is still here next yr...Expect to lose.

What the hell does that mean?

He can consistently throw the football to a RB on the swing out of the backfield or can he hit a WR on a 2-yard slant?

He is obviously not throwing yet.

He said his healing was way ahead of schedule. That is one of the reasons why the Jets are now approaching him with a new insentive based deal.

Btw, Pennington will be the Jets starter next year and win a Super Bowl as QB of the New York Jets. All this talk of bringing someone in and even if they do - it will just push Chad to a new level.

if he REALLY believes he can come back, he'll do it, plain and simple. If he can get out there and be the chad of old, the players will support him and rally around him. If he doesn't believe he can come back, then whats the point in having him on the team anyway?

i know its already been said...but this is just more proof that this organization is going in the right direction, its brilliant. Kudos to the boys in the front office(amazing what happens when bradways not in charge isnt it?)

Why keep him then? to make Jets fan suffer? If anybody in the front office feels the same way and he is still here next yr...Expect to lose.

Because he is a better stop-gap quarterback than Kerry Collins or Jon Kitna. Pennington can be the starter for the next two seasons while a QB develops and he gives us a better chance to win than anyone who will be on the free agent market.

Because he is a better stop-gap quarterback than Kerry Collins or Jon Kitna. Pennington can be the starter for the next two seasons while a QB develops and he gives us a better chance to win than anyone who will be on the free agent market.

I refuse to believe Chad Pennington is the BEST option to play QB for the NYJ. At this point we don't know what the options are...June 1st we will have a better view of the NFL landscape.

I agree with Troll on this one.

Kitna is nothing special and we all know that Collins isn't either. If you can't win with Porter / Randy Moss then you're not going to win with Coles / McCareins, I don't care who the coach is. Collins flat out sucks and has ever since his days in Carolina and 1 lucky year with the Giants which he followed up with what? 23 fumbles?

Rivers' arm < Pennington's arm after 2 torn rotator cuff surgery's

Rivers will not do anything in the pro's...I've said it all along and I'm sticking too it...he was over-rated to begin with......the same will go with Vince Young aka the next current Michael Vick....good, not great and will never lead his team to a Super Bowl.

The only guy in the NFL right now that has a realistic shot of coming to the Jets that I wouldn't mind seeing here is Matt Schaub...but why should we give up the 36th overall pick in the draft for someone that hasn't proven anything yet when we can do that 4th overall and save a draft pick?

Draft Cutler.

a franchise begins with QB...

I'd be shocked if the new young regime doesn't draft Cutler..Thet all grow up together..

Sign Collins for a year to groom Cutler.

maybe this is just me...but i dont want the ol' drunk grooming anything, much less a "franchise quarterback"

Looking back, I don't know if Chad ever had the goods to be over the middle of the pack. High rating #'s in 02 - but after that he doesn't make the plays. Injured or well - he throws a lot of marginal to bad passes. And allowing most of his routines (Hackett) have been shorter flat or post tosses you cant even guage his deep ability (inability). Warrior, leader, love the guy, but if by some miracle his arm isn't toast, he's mediocre and not the answer.

Maybe one of you capologists can help me out here. This isn't really a pay cut, is it? I was under the impression that the NFLPA doesn't allow actually pay cuts, much like the way the MLBPA stepped in during the A-Rod to Boston debacle.

Is it just a transfer of cap money to later in the contract?

This is the topic I worked on just now for my New York Jets Video Blog. Check out my opinion on this subject in Video Format here: http://mynyjets.blogspot.com

--- I am thrilled with this decision. I like how the Tannenbaum and Mangini era has begun. Chad was a great guy for us the past few years, but he has also been injured more often than not. It is time for a pay cut or to show him the door.

Maybe one of you capologists can help me out here. This isn't really a pay cut, is it? I was under the impression that the NFLPA doesn't allow actually pay cuts, much like the way the MLBPA stepped in during the A-Rod to Boston debacle.

The difference is, Pennington's base salary isn't guaranteed. A-Rod's salary was guaranteed.

Agreed.

It would be great to keep him as a backup or starter or whatever he can do, but for the low low low bargain price of someone who hasn't played a full season.

Love the Chad, just not the $$$.

BZ

agree,, cant show chad any love unless the price os Dollar Store Variey

This is the topic I worked on just now for my New York Jets Video Blog. Check out my opinion on this subject in Video Format here: http://mynyjets.blogspot.com

--- I am thrilled with this decision. I like how the Tannenbaum and Mangini era has begun. Chad was a great guy for us the past few years, but he has also been injured more often than not. It is time for a pay cut or to show him the door.

ST, just watched your latest video on Pennington...tell me how you really feel? LOL...but, seriously, I think the Jets should address the QB situation via trade and not waste a pick in an early round on a QB. We have too many other positions to address. That's just my opinion.

This is pretty much an ultimatum. There is no way Chad can stay without taking the pay cut. How embarassing would it be for the Jets to ask, have Chad say no, and then just say OK nevermind then Chad!!

Mangini has no loyalties, and has only the team's best interest in mind. I love this move, but the rest of the high-pricers might be shaking in their boots.

Good. Let them worry. Coming off 4-12, change is needed, and some of the high priced guys did not step up, or or getting up there in age, and not earning their keep.

It is called renegoiate or get cut and get nada for coin!!!!!!

I luv it, these guys have read my plan and are executing!!!!!!!

Archived