ESPN -- Chad Pennington

AVM

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got this from an inside source of ours at Hofstra.

Chad's New Contract As Proposed By The Jets

$1 base pay

$500 per month car allowance

$40,000,0000 annual bonus (to be be paid in the event that Chad starts 16 games in any regular season)

This is pretty much an ultimatum. There is no way Chad can stay without taking the pay cut. How embarassing would it be for the Jets to ask, have Chad say no, and then just say OK nevermind then Chad!!

Mangini has no loyalties, and has only the team's best interest in mind. I love this move, but the rest of the high-pricers might be shaking in their boots.

If he doesnt agree to it, it will be a PR nightmare for him. JMO.

After how he went off on the NY media....He will get crucified. Especially with Herm out of town...they will need something to talk about and this will be the next hot topic in NY.

Said we officially asked him to take a pay cut---$1 million base salary, $8 in on field incentives.

Have at it

What? just save 5 million in base salary.... It is not enough. He will have 6 million in base salary and 6 million in bonuses for 2006.... 5 million off the 2006 team salary cap is not enough but it may be a good start.. I hope others will follow CP's action if he accepts it.

After how he went off on the NY media....He will get crucified. Especially with Herm out of town...they will need something to talk about and this will be the next hot topic in NY.

He played hurt for us three different times so not sure he will get crucified in the press.

Either way, Pennington is made the villian for Bradways bad contract and Herm's decision to play him with a torn RC.

Hope he makes it back healthy. Class guy and the only excitement the Jets have had lately has come with him at QB.

I love Chad and I really hope he does accept this deal because if not you've gotta believe that he will be released and either Brees, Rivers or Cutler is our starting QB in 06.

Chad, I believe, is going to come back and play very well. I still believe that he was rushed last time and this time that he has plenty of time (10 months) where there would be no more excuses left.

Also, I'm not really sure of what this is all about. I didn't see the Mort Report so could someone clarrify it more for me? Is it that they want him to take a $1 mill cut or do they want him only getting $1 mill in total for next year? This and other sites seem to be disagreeing....

I actually agree with Bob and 124. I don't know what it is, call it gut feeling, but I just believe Pennington is going to come back and stay relatively healthy. I think he will be the Jets starting quarterback next year and that is a major reason why I would rather draft & develop a quarterback whether than throw away a proven Pro Bowler on Rivers or give up basically a 1st-rounder for Schaub.

Pennington is a decent starter and that's exactly what he will be next year. This team will never win a Super Bowl with him, his arm is too damn weak. But he has shown in the past that he can lead this team into the playoffs. Without Herm to impede progress, maybe we can luck up and get to the big game even with Pennington. He needs to accept the pay-cut, which is a very fair offer, IMO.

He played hurt for us three different times so not sure he will get crucified in the press.

Either way, Pennington is made the villian for Bradways bad contract and Herm's decision to play him with a torn RC.

Hope he makes it back healthy. Class guy and the only excitement the Jets have had lately has come with him at QB.

:foshizzle:

If I were him, there's no way I'd take a paycut. He may never play again, might as well get his money while he can. Lets say he restructures his contract and then he either can't come back or gets injured again, then he will regret taking a cut. Why would he give up guaranteed money with such a questionable future, especially for a HC who isn't as loyal to him?

If I were him, there's no way I'd take a paycut. He may never play again, might as well get his money while he can. Lets say he restructures his contract and then he either can't come back or gets injured again, then he will regret taking a cut. Why would he give up guaranteed money with such a questionable future, especially for a HC who isn't as loyal to him?

He takes the paycut because he is a competitor and it's the only way he'll be allowed back on the field, which is what he cares about more (and that's why most fans are pulling for him to pull off the miracle).

And another thing...I wish some of you would quit with the "he was rushed into service before he was completely healed" stuff.

Now, is Chad a bright guy or a dumb idiot? A player I would think has the final say whether he's ready to play or not and Chad would be dumb as rocks to come back before he was healthy. It's not like he was playing for a contract or he had a gun to his head...he was signed and delivered before that last injury.

Face it, this guy is an accident waiting to happen...you ain't going to become a franchise QB in this league just shy of 30 years old and never have played a full season. And just like our HC, I think it's time to turn the page with Chad and get a younger guy in there. Preferably we do it before the draft so we don't have to waste a first round pick if we start to get itchy.

chad will take the deal. why? because $1M is more than $0 and nobody else is going to give him a contract.

an incentive laden deal is best for both parties - the jets can keep amortizing the cap hit and chad has the opportunity to prove he can still play. he cannot get a better deal elsewhere.

He will get crucified because the press has nothing else to work with. Herm going to KC put them on edge...with Mangini's gag order in place...they will need to create a story and sell papers.

It's inevitable.

Yo Barton, let me sum it up:

PennyBoySissy = Pus sy

Bull****. The kid could get hit by a truck,get up and hobble into the game if you asked him too. He's got a lot of heart and I respect him,He is a warrior.

That said...He is accident & injury prone....might be a little brittle. But the man isn't a pussy. Tx

Even you need to come back to reality once and a while and play fair. Nobody wants to read your shtick over and over again if you don't mix a little truth in.

Bull****. The kid could get hit by a truck,get up and hobble into the game if you asked him too. He's got a lot of heart and I respect him,He is a warrior.

That said...He is accident & injury prone....might be a little brittle. But the man isn't a pussy. Tx

Even you need to come back to reality once and a while and play fair. Nobody wants to read your shtick over and over again if you don't mix a little truth in.

Yea, you're right Smizz.

Please keep in mind, I have never questioned PennyBoy's heart and desire to play football. He has done everything possible.

My bad on that post.

Archived