Jump to content
BettyBoop

Clowney, Peters, Virtual Draft

Recommended Posts

The free agency dust has settled and we're gearing up for the virtual draft.  Additional moves will likely be made and they will have a significant impact on our draft.  I simply do not understand why Douglas has not signed Peters to a "Fant-like" deal.  He is the perfect bridge guy who would provide a quality LT starter, or a quality RT starter if you draft a LT at #11 and will provide far more flexibility @ #11 and subsequently the rest of the draft.  I just don't get it.

Unless of course, Douglas needs that last clump of cash for a big-time signing.  The only guy out there that fits that description is Clowney.  Is Douglas really interested in a guy who seemingly does not fit the template he is looking for?  Could he be swinging for the fences hoping to turn this defense into the '86 Bears?!  Verrrrrry interesting!

Both scenarios will have a profound impact on the draft.  Here's my guess for both:

                                     Signing Peters                              Signing Clowney

First Round:                Jerry Jeudy, WR                              Josh Jones, OT

Second Round:           Matt Peart, OT                               Tee Higgins, WR

Third Round:               Bradlee Anae, Edge                       Ben Bartch, OL 

Third Round:               Troy Pride, CB                                Michael Pittman, WR

Fourth Round:             Collin Johnson, WR                       Darnay Holmes, CB

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I actually like the Peters draft more

I do too.  I'm not big on Clowney and I really think Anae could be a difference maker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Peters draft better. If we swap Troy Pride for Pittman in the 3rd, that would be a great draft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 9:01 AM, BettyBoop said:

The free agency dust has settled and we're gearing up for the virtual draft.  Additional moves will likely be made and they will have a significant impact on our draft.  I simply do not understand why Douglas has not signed Peters to a "Fant-like" deal.  He is the perfect bridge guy who would provide a quality LT starter, or a quality RT starter if you draft a LT at #11 and will provide far more flexibility @ #11 and subsequently the rest of the draft.  I just don't get it.

Unless of course, Douglas needs that last clump of cash for a big-time signing.  The only guy out there that fits that description is Clowney.  Is Douglas really interested in a guy who seemingly does not fit the template he is looking for?  Could he be swinging for the fences hoping to turn this defense into the '86 Bears?!  Verrrrrry interesting!

Both scenarios will have a profound impact on the draft.  Here's my guess for both:

                                     Signing Peters                              Signing Clowney

First Round:                Jerry Jeudy, WR                              Josh Jones, OT

Second Round:           Matt Peart, OT                               Tee Higgins, WR

Third Round:               Bradlee Anae, Edge                       Ben Bartch, OL 

Third Round:               Troy Pride, CB                                Michael Pittman, WR

Fourth Round:             Collin Johnson, WR                       Darnay Holmes, CB

 

Agreed. Really hoping we sign Peters. Baffled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark my words. 

Michael Pittman Jr will not last into the 3rd round. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

josh jones at 11? woof

Scenario: All 4 OT are off the board, Okudah off the board, we cant trade back, then JD would be forced to go with BPA to fill an obvious need at OL, CB or edge and that would be CB Henderson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

josh jones at 11? woof

A tradedown from #11 then taking Jones makes more sense.  

And the draft if Peters is signed is more to my liking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Scenario: All 4 OT are off the board, Okudah off the board, we cant trade back, then JD would be forced to go with BPA to fill an obvious need at OL, CB or edge and that would be CB Henderson. 

i dont see it. i think if that all happens that the pick is the next all-pro level player at a position of need...and thats Lamb.

i know we are not amazing at corner but consider that last year corner was not our issue, and this year we are returning:

 

Pool

Austin 

Maulet

Dessir

+ Adams + Maye

every mock draft i do...i come out with an OL and a WR in the first 2 rounds in some order...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 6:01 AM, BettyBoop said:

The free agency dust has settled and we're gearing up for the virtual draft.  Additional moves will likely be made and they will have a significant impact on our draft.  I simply do not understand why Douglas has not signed Peters to a "Fant-like" deal.  He is the perfect bridge guy who would provide a quality LT starter, or a quality RT starter if you draft a LT at #11 and will provide far more flexibility @ #11 and subsequently the rest of the draft.  I just don't get it.

Unless of course, Douglas needs that last clump of cash for a big-time signing.  The only guy out there that fits that description is Clowney.  Is Douglas really interested in a guy who seemingly does not fit the template he is looking for?  Could he be swinging for the fences hoping to turn this defense into the '86 Bears?!  Verrrrrry interesting!

Both scenarios will have a profound impact on the draft.  Here's my guess for both:

                                     Signing Peters                              Signing Clowney

First Round:                Jerry Jeudy, WR                              Josh Jones, OT

Second Round:           Matt Peart, OT                               Tee Higgins, WR

Third Round:               Bradlee Anae, Edge                       Ben Bartch, OL 

Third Round:               Troy Pride, CB                                Michael Pittman, WR

Fourth Round:             Collin Johnson, WR                       Darnay Holmes, CB

 

I'd be fine with either of those combos in Rounds 1,2 (Jeudy/Peart or Jones/Higgins).

Getting the Higgins-Pittman pair at WR would be home run in a draft where you also got a solid OT prospect and addressed CB by the end of Round 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

i dont see it. i think if that all happens that the pick is the next all-pro level player at a position of need...and thats Lamb.

i know we are not amazing at corner but consider that last year corner was not our issue, and this year we are returning:

 

Pool

Austin 

Maulet

Dessir

+ Adams + Maye

every mock draft i do...i come out with an OL and a WR in the first 2 rounds in some order...

Pedestrian 2ndery but wr is deep in draft- Henderson is a very very good cb. You will not find a cb like Henderson in the second round But you will be able to get a very very good wide receiver in the second round

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Pedestrian 2ndery but wr is deep in draft- Henderson is a very very good cb. You will not find a cb like Henderson in the second round But you will be able to get a very very good wide receiver in the second round

generally speaking agree, but both are positions of need...and if u can get who you consider a superstar level guy at either u do it. this is the same reason i'd take Okudah, although i think WR, EDGE and OL are both much bigger needs.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I would still love to see one of the top 4 at OL instead of Jones..

But I like the Clowney draft a lot better.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Although I would still love to see one of the top 4 at OL instead of Jones..

But I like the Clowney draft a lot better.

Me too. 

Walking away with Josh Jones, Tee Higgins and Michael Pittman along with picking up a defensive end in which the biggest negative on him is the outside hype that surrounded him, not his actual contribution to his teams as an actual player. 

Not to mention that this is also a guy who turns it up while in the playoffs in terms of being just a total disrupter of the offense. 

 

That's a win in my book. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 9:04 PM, 32EBoozer said:

I actually like the Peters draft more

It seems like the consensus is 50-50 between the two mocks.  I know that Josh Jones is a bit of a reach at #11 but I have a suspicion that Douglas likes him perhaps more than one or two of the Big-Four.  From what I've read he seems like an outstanding project who has suffered from having five different line coaches in four years.  He needs a good technician as OL coach to fix his problems but they are fixable.  Just not sure if Frank Pollack is the guy to do it.  Also, with Clowney on board the hope is his impact will allow the Jets to make due with a fourth round CB to step in and contribute.

On the other hand, I really like the idea of having Peters start at LT and groom Peart who I think can be a solid starter in 2021.  It's a more balanced (between offense and defense) approach that I think it would help the team overall.

Lastly, for those who are saying "I know for a fact that so-and-so won't be there in the third round!", please for everyone's sake, please tell us who is going to be drafted and when since you know how the draft will play out.  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, legends of the fall said:

Me too. 

Walking away with Josh Jones, Tee Higgins and Michael Pittman along with picking up a defensive end in which the biggest negative on him is the outside hype that surrounded him, not his actual contribution to his teams as an actual player. 

Not to mention that this is also a guy who turns it up while in the playoffs in terms of being just a total disrupter of the offense. 

 

That's a win in my book. 

Yes.  Clowney is way underrated around here. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...