PSA: Let's let Darnold become a top 25 QB before we go calling him our franchise QB

PCP63

1 hour ago, PCP63 said:

Maybe. But people need to stop being homers. Darnold has promise. But he's very far from a sure thing. 

Hell, I've even seen people talking about him taking a step up, and us winning this year. Delusional.

Oh, **** you, you ****.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Oh, **** you, you ****.

Problem with what I said? You think that we're going to be a competitive team this year? Our OL is still trash, our WRs are trash, our HBs are nothing special (Bell doesn't fit the scheme), our CBs are trash, our DL is only passable. Yet somehow you think we can win?

Look, I obviously want to win as well. And I hope we do. But I also realize that we are far from being competitive.

• Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I never understood the need to "rain on others parade."  If some fans want to believe in Darnold and what he can become, I don't get the need to shout them down.   There will always be those that go over board but most just want to get excited about a quarterback that is may be the most talented we have had since Namath.    He is just going into his third year and has not had the most stable situation in the world, between his poor OL play, injuries or illness, lack of elite weapons, he has still shown plenty of flashes of what he is capable of.  Lets hope he can begin to put it all together with an improve line, more talented offensive players and another season of experience under his belt.  

It's the time of hot takes.

Say it. Don't back down.

23 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Yes, the effusive praise for Darnold can get annoying - especially when accolades are bestowed upon him for no reason other than being a homer, but the same goes for pissing in people's cheerios who believe he has what it takes to become good/great ?‍♂️

Tl;dr - everyone sucks

I don’t think that accolades are bestowed upon Sam for no reason.  He makes “wow” plays like I’ve never seen a Jets QB make before - and I’ve been a Jets fan for over 40 years (I came aboard just as Namath left).  That gets people excited, including me.  However, I agree that, despite what my heart tells me, Sam won’t be a true franchise QB until he puts together a complete season of consistent strong performance.  In all honesty, probably two.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, MykePM said:

I don’t think that accolades are bestowed upon Sam for no reason.  He makes “wow” plays like I’ve never seen a Jets QB make before - and I’ve been a Jets fan for over 40 years (I came aboard just as Namath left).  That gets people excited, including me.  However, I agree that, despite what my heart tells me, Sam won’t be a true franchise QB until he puts together a complete season of consistent strong performance.  In all honesty, probably two.

I have no issue if you truly feel this way, but you have to admit stating such subjective statements like this come off as totally homer and offer no real insight - or any chance at critiquing in any kind of concrete way.

Offering up statements like that don't exactly bolster your argument.

And just for the record, I like Darnold quite a bit.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Hopefully he becomes not only top 25, but top 5. Until then, he's still not even top 25, and we all need to calm down. 

Agreed. Posters on this site constantly jump to conclusions and Sammy being a franchise QB is probably their biggest. Sammy has done nothing thus far other than show flashes of brilliance. 

With that said, I agree with all of those posters that we need to build around Sammy. We'll never know what he is at his peak unless we put competent people around him. Right now the overall talent around Sammy is garbage. The biggest single off-season improvement this team can make is to fix the OL. If the OL gets fixed, EVERYONE on offense and defense will benefit, but particularly Sammy.