Mel Kipers Mock 4.0 - Rounds 1 & 2

3 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

11. New York Jets
Jedrick Wills Jr., OT, Alabama | Highlights
I thought about CeeDee Lamb here, but ultimately this class is much deeper with wide receivers than it is with offensive tackles. And if the Jets can get a starting tackle with Wills and address the receiver position in Round 2 (No. 48), that's better than the inverse. They could get two immediate starters in the top 50 picks. According to my friends at ESPN Stats & Info, the Crimson Tide averaged 7.7 yards per rush outside the right tackle in 2019, which ranked third in the FBS. Wills would help get Le'Veon Bell going.

I've been saying this same thing, that the dropoff for the OT's from the first to second round is greater than the dropoff of the WRs, but then he has the Jets taking Claypool in the second with Ezra Cleveland on the board? Think I'd rather have Cleveland and Lamb than Wills and Claypool. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Sign me up.  Claypool will be a very polarizing player, especially that high.  It's hard to teach that size and obviously he tested much better than anyone anticipated.  He's not polished, but he could do wonders in the Red Zone immediately.  Would be a could compliment to what we already have at WR.

He seems a little redundant since we already have herdnon and Griffin. I know he technically could be a WR but he's more of an Evan engram type. Not really a WR and not a guy you can ask to block. 

Pittman would be my choice and I think Hamler would be Gase's choice. Reagor, Van Jefferson and Edwards are also good options. 

Honestly, this is why I'm ok with Jeudy or Lamb at 11. The choices at 48 are fine but you can probably just wait to round 3 and take whichever of these guys fall. Then you can use your 2nd and or 3rd picks on oline talent that you can develop. 

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He seems a little redundant since we already have herdnon and Griffin. I know he technically could be a WR but he's more of an Evan engram type. Not really a WR and not a guy you can ask to block. 

Pittman would be my choice and I think Hamler would be Gase's choice. Reagor, Van Jefferson and Edwards are also good options. 

Honestly, this is why I'm ok with Jeudy or Lamb at 11. The choices at 48 are fine but you can probably just wait to round 3 and take whichever of these guys fall. Then you can use your 2nd and or 3rd picks on oline talent that you can develop. 

Why is he not a WR?

He's redundant but guys like Reagor and Hamler wouldn't be? 

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Why is he not a WR?

He's redundant but guys like Reagor and Hamler wouldn't be? 

Claypool played WR but his bodytype and movement reminds most of a Tight End. He is fast, which for his size is a huge plus, but he is not a great route runner, wasn't asked to run a full route tree in college, doesn't get much separation and doesn't have the best technique. 

Watch video on him and he looks massive and a handful for DBs but he doesn't look very fluid. You could have probably said the same thing about Metcalf last year also so there's that going for him.

• Upvote 1

If Andrew Thomas is on the board and they take any other OT, I will drive my head through a wall.  Take all you have seen and heard from the combine and from the "pundits" in recent days and flush it down the toilet.  It is worthless banter.  Thomas is the best OT in the draft.  He will be able to start at LT and won't be in any danger of getting Darnold killed due to lack of ability/technique. 

• Upvote 1

I love the Wills pick, but Claypool at 48 would be a disappointment. I am a ND who has watched Claypool a lot, he's solid and will probably play a long time in the league, but he isn't a difference making WR. There are likely to be more dynamic WRs available, I would like to go in that direction. Claypool probably doesn't help us too much early on other than as a red zone presence. 

8 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

RD 1
11. New York Jets

Jedrick Wills Jr., OT, Alabama | Highlights
I thought about CeeDee Lamb here, but ultimately this class is much deeper with wide receivers than it is with offensive tackles. And if the Jets can get a starting tackle with Wills and address the receiver position in Round 2 (No. 48), that's better than the inverse. They could get two immediate starters in the top 50 picks. According to my friends at ESPN Stats & Info, the Crimson Tide averaged 7.7 yards per rush outside the right tackle in 2019, which ranked third in the FBS. Wills would help get Le'Veon Bell going.

RD 2

48. New York Jets

Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame
Robby Anderson is gone, and Breshad Perriman and Jamison Crowder sit atop the Jets' wide receiver depth chart. Let's give Sam Darnold more weapons so Adam Gase can fully evaluate the third-year quarterback. The 6-foot-4, 238- pound Claypool lit up the combine with a 4.42 40 and 40.5-inch vertical, and he has a high ceiling if he can get in the right situation. He'd get early reps in New York.

I like that one a lot. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, AFerg726 said:

I love the Wills pick, but Claypool at 48 would be a disappointment. I am a ND who has watched Claypool a lot, he's solid and will probably play a long time in the league, but he isn't a difference making WR. There are likely to be more dynamic WRs available, I would like to go in that direction. Claypool probably doesn't help us too much early on other than as a red zone presence. 

Claypool is definitely more then just a redzone threat.  I agree he’s not a number 1 but he’s be a great number 2 and a mismatch for a lot of people covering him. 

• Post of the Week 1