“No Playoff Mandate” for Gase 2.0

JetsLife

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You'd be surprised how little the stadium noise matters and how much the personal insults do.  Only 80,000 fans in a stadium.  There are tens of millions of people Tweeting and re-Tweeting a constant barrage of insults.

Do you think Adam Gase had a nice October last year when his wife couldn't go into a furniture store to buy a dresser for her new house she just moved into without hearing call in radio shows, reading Tweets, and seeing airplanes calling for her husband's head?  Do you think Sam Darnold enjoys reading about the fanbase taking shots at his offensive linemen and running backs?  Do you think Christopher Johnson wants to spend his money and his time trying to please a bunch of rude, selfish, entitled ingrates who dare to call themselves diehard fans?  Do you think it was good for the Jamal Adams brand to be associated with a team being called dysfunctional by its own fanbase day after day after day?

Social media influences players to reconsider the effort they give to their existing teams.  Social media prevents FA's from considering certain teams as a positive destination.   Social media bullying of players is a distraction and prevents playbook comprehension and practice execution. 

These coaches and players are human.  If they think their own fans have quit on them, they'll quit on us, just collect a paycheck, make excuses for not playing.  Sound familiar?  Poisonous SOJF's do more damage than enemy fans in MetLife Stadium could ever do.  It's time to stop.

SAR I

You don't think every single fanbase acts this way?  There aren't fan forums where people can and do criticize their team in every single NFL city?  If our players are that mentally weak then they simply don't have what it takes to make it in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Do you think Adam Gase had a nice October last year when his wife couldn't go into a furniture store to buy a dresser for her new house she just moved into without hearing call in radio shows, reading Tweets, and seeing airplanes calling for her husband's head? 

I think he and his wife had a wonderful October last year.  He was making a millions in a job he was fortunate to get (after he mouthed off to his previous owner to get himself fired) and she was probably thrilled at how financially secure they were and how they could buy nice things, travel, have leisure time, etc.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Metlife stadium does look like an air conditioner.  Fans are complaining because they spent a fortune and that's what they ended up with.  Meanwhile, other teams ended up with much much nicer stadiums.  

No, the fans who are complaining are the ones who don't have season tickets.  I've never been to a Jets home game in MetLife and heard anyone say a negative word.  Paying customers are the ones who matter.  You pretzel-eaters get what you pay for.

The Johnsons are bad owners.  They meddle way too much. 

Meddle?  I applaud Woody Johnson for seeking out the help of NFL experts like Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf over the years instead of pretending he's a football man when he isn't.  It's rare that a billionaire with an ego would do such a thing.  As for Christopher, he's been aggressive, traded up to get a QB, fired his GM early to get the best candidate possible, went for the first experienced head coach on the offensive side of the ball since the 90's.  Has been very positive with the players and fans on the social issues we are facing.  None of this is "meddling".  That's a bunch of BS.  Just say you hate the guy, don't make up stuff.

Adam Gase did a sh*t job last season.  It's one thing to lose due to injuries, it's another thing to get blown out as often as they did (plus lose to an 0-7 and 0-11 team in the same season).  He's proven he can't elevate a bad team. 

This may be the funniest thing you've ever written.  Gase takes a 1-7 joke and motivates them to finish 6-2 and he did a "sh-t job" and "can't elevate a bad team".  You may be the best Patriots fan masquerading as a Jets fan I've ever seen.  Kudos.  PatsFanTX, is that you?

If our players are so mentally weak that they can't succeed due to some negative comments made in a fan forum (which I'm sure happens in every single fan forum, btw) then we're lucky that they're being weeded out. 

It's not 1980 anymore.  Joe Klecko can't just grab his lunchpail and head off to Hofstra oblivious to the world around him.  Today it's a constant barrage of negativity, and even the strongest-minded athlete can't be immune to it forever, they all crack eventually, and the bullying and distraction hurts them and the team on the field.  You want a pretty stadium and you want to sh-t all over the team.  You've got your priorities backwards.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You want a pretty stadium and you want to sh-t all over the team.  You've got your priorities backwards.

MetLife was the most expensive stadium in the NFL at the time ($1.6B) and they built an AC.  Wonderful job!

My priority is for the Jets to win a Superbowl but none of it matters to the Jets' success.  If we had a great HC, that would make a huge difference.  My opinions on this forum don't affect the team in the slightest bit.

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No, the fans who are complaining are the ones who don't have season tickets.  I've never been to a Jets home game in MetLife and heard anyone say a negative word.  Paying customers are the ones who matter.  You pretzel-eaters get what you pay for.

Meddle?  I applaud Woody Johnson for seeking out the help of NFL experts like Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf over the years instead of pretending he's a football man when he isn't.  It's rare that a billionaire with an ego would do such a thing.  As for Christopher, he's been aggressive, traded up to get a QB, fired his GM early to get the best candidate possible, went for the first experienced head coach on the offensive side of the ball since the 90's.  Has been very positive with the players and fans on the social issues we are facing.  None of this is "meddling".  That's a bunch of BS.  Just say you hate the guys, don't make up stuff.

This may be the funniest thing you've ever written.  Gase takes a 1-7 joke and motivates them to finish 6-2 and he did a "sh-t job" and "can't elevate a bad team".  You may be the best Patriots fan masquerading as a Jets fan I've ever seen.  Kudos.  PatsFanTX, is that you?

It's not 1980 anymore.  Joe Klecko can't just grab his lunchpail and head off to Hofstra oblivious to the world around him.  Today it's a constant barrage of negativity, and even the strongest-minded athlete can't be immune to it forever, they all crack eventually, and the bullying and distraction hurts them and the team on the field.  You want a pretty stadium and you want to sh-t all over the team.  You've got your priorities backwards.

SAR I

Meanwhile, I was planning on seeing the Jets play in the (at least, seemingly) awesome SoFi stadium this year.

CJ traded up to get a QB?  If CJ was such a great GM then why did he bother to "fired his GM early to get the best candidate possible"?  He could've gone full Jerry Jones if he wanted to.

CJ hired the first offensive coach since the 1990's?  Hasn't the Johnson family owned the team for ~20 years?  Couldn't they have hired an offensive coach sooner?

Gase finished 6-2 but lost to the 0-11 Bengals, beat the QB3 Steelers, beat the resting-for-the-playoffs Bills, beat the crappy Giants and Redskins, and needed a last second FG to avoid getting swept by the crappy Dolphins.  "What a great job he did!"  

• Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Meanwhile, I was planning on seeing the Jets play in the (at least, seemingly) awesome SoFi stadium this year.

Me too.  Sad that we can't.  Not because of a building.  Because I've got friends in LA.

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

CJ traded up to get a QB? 

Yes.  What, you think he let Maccagnan make the biggest move in the NFL preseason all by himself?  CJ was on a yacht reading Twitter when he found out?  Please.

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If CJ was such a great GM then why did he bother to "fired his GM early to get the best candidate possible"? 

CJ isn't a GM.  But he gave the order to trade up to the top of the draft to guarantee one of the top QB's.  Getting rid of Maccagnan right after the draft was brilliant as it guaranteed him the chance to get a great GM candidate before any other NFL team and allowed JD to get a full season with the team to study the roster before feeling any pressure to make moves.  Extremely aggressive to do it that way, opened himself up to big criticism, but it's working very well and if we ever win the Super Bowl likely goes down as the reason why.

18 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Gase finished 6-2 but lost to the 0-11 Bengals, beat the QB3 Steelers, beat the resting-for-the-playoffs Bills, beat the crappy Giants and Redskins, and needed a last second FG to avoid getting swept by the crappy Dolphins.  "What a great job he did!"  

If Gase were managing the September Jets I would agree with you.  The November Jets looked nothing like the September Jets.  Getting a 1-7 team decimated by illness and injury to go 6-2 was one of the greatest coaching jobs in team history.  Getting a locker room whose culture was built on smoking weed and quitting mid-season to instead play beyond their capabilities and win 6 of the last 8 was remarkable.

SAR I

So we're going back and forth on whether Gase is the coach to lead this team to a Super Bowl.  Why bother???  We'll see on Sunday!  He;'s had a full off season with a new OL and a QB who knows his system.  If they are good on Sunday we're in good shape.  If not, we're not.  Regardless of how it turns out, let's leave the excuses (Covid, injuries, new players) behind and face reality.  

Bring it on!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Interesting, I really thought Christopher Johnson seemed like the kind of guy who would meet with Gase and say....

"You better get this team in the f*cking playoffs or...

angry kristen wiig GIF  !"

In the current situation, mandating the playoffs will put too much pressure on a young team, Darnold, and Gase. So, you take the hope for the best prepare for the worst type of approach right now. If the Oline gels quick and is good and Darnold plays well that will be the start and if by some chance both Perriman and Mims do well this year along with TEs, Bell/Gore, etc. we could surprise as our D likely will be solid again like last year. Surprise meaning we could make the playoffs as there are 7 spots there now.

15 hours ago, JetsLife said:

So says below.

This as epitaph of a loser. In certain organizations anything less than a Super Bowl title = failure.

Or IOW: Christopher Johnson only wants to feel like he’s trying to win - not actually do what is necessary. Great ownership demands playoffs at minimum every season. Chris Johnson? He was born with the right last name. He seemingly accepts progress over championships.

With an Ace up his sleeve Jan. 19, he opts for a risky bet on Gase. Not least because Peyton influenced him.

Now Chris is doubling down on that risky bet. 

When this all shakes out one must hope Joe Douglas is for real and the Johnsons become hands off. 

The more they’ve led this franchise post Parcells regime extended, the worse its become. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/ny-jets-adam-gase-no-playoff-mandate-2020

Here's the flip side.  If Gase gets this roster into the playoffs he should get a lifetime contract as HCNYJ.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

You probably don't remember, but the Bills had Levy/Kelly, the Dolphins had Shula/Marino, the Colts had Manning, and the Patriots had Belichick/Brady in that span since the mid-70's you refer to.  The Jets have been put through the buzzsaw of Hall Of Fame coaches and quarterbacks since Eubank/Namath.  Again, it's the cycle.  Looks like its our turn to dominate now.

Please, you know enough to know that all NFL teams say that and with Shula/Levy/Marino/Kelly/Manning/Brady in our division since 1975 it was hard enough just to get to the playoffs we did get to and have some success in.

Yes, I was there, I was one of the fans who paid the money in November and didn't quit on the team.  I sat next to a bunch of random fans with the season ticket holders missing the game.  Justice.

Yeah, because the Buffalo Bills are soooo scary, and the beat-up Jets 6-2 record against the same type of teams the Bills beat perfectly healthy was soooo uninspiring.

You need to turn off ESPN, stop reading Twitter, and use your eyes.  The media is playing you like a fiddle.

SAR I

I know losers make excuses for poor results. Winners dont make excuses they find a way to win. You are embracing the loser mentality. The Jets have embraced that same mentality for decades. The Bills are WAY better than us and will win more games than us this year. They are pretty much better than us at almost every position. 

30 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes.  What, you think he let Maccagnan make the biggest move in the NFL preseason all by himself?  CJ was on a yacht reading Twitter when he found out?  Please.

Of course the owner can veto anything he wants but that's still the case under Joe D.  So you're apparently saying you think CJ has been the GM since Woody left for England.

14 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I know losers make excuses for poor results. Winners dont make excuses they find a way to win. You are embracing the loser mentality. The Jets have embraced that same mentality for decades. The Bills are WAY better than us and will win more games than us this year. They are pretty much better than us at almost every position. 

Sustained excellence, unlike luck is a result of a lot of hard work and planning.  

Attitude doesn't begin to get it done.  It's the lament of a lazy fans everywhere.   The Bills have had their GM and HC in place for 3 full seasons.  The Jets have had their HC and GM in place for 1 season.  The Bills haven't won a thing yet.  Choking in the playoffs doesn't show a winning attitude.  It shows the spot was too big for them. 

44 minutes ago, kmnj said:

except QB

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Of course the owner can veto anything he wants but that's still the case under Joe D.  So you're apparently saying you think CJ has been the GM since Woody left for England.

I think Christopher Johnson pulled Maccagnan in a room and said “Find a trade partner in the top five and get me in position to draft one of the blue chip quarterbacks.  That’s an order.  Understood?”

And then Maccagnan came to CJ with a few deal options and they went with the one from the Colts.  

Just like that.   Doesn’t make CJ a GM. Just means he’s an owner who knew what all Jets fans knew-  50 years is long enough to wait for a franchise quarterback.  

SAR I

• WTF? 1

From everything Hughes has said, Christopher Johnson is absolutely obsessed with righting the Jets ship.  He was given the franchise three years ago.  Takes it personally.  Is constantly around the team. Whether he has a stronger belief in Douglas over Gase... who knows.  But my guess is that a "no playoff" edict is so not to upset the working relationship for JD's benefit (rather than a ringing endorsements of Gase's ability.)  Although I think Christopher Johnson probably does consider him the right guy for the job.  But the direction of the franchise is more dependent on JD right now.  And whatever Gase does is linked to Sam's development.  And if that doesn't happen... playoff or not CJ is going to want some answers.  A bad record with a decent offense Johnson could probably live with.  But a stagnant one the public pressure from the press and fans even Christopher Johnson will feel.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Gase was a strong supporter of bringing in Douglas and very much part of the subsequent dismantling of the roster.

Gase is a full participant of the rebuild and will be here at least two more years after this one.

I tend to agree with you regarding the 1st paragraph (especially considering they trusted Gase to be the GM for a while before Joe D was hired).  You're probably right regarding the 2nd paragraph but I think that's a little less certain.  If we stink this year (though I don't think we will), I could see Gase getting fired.

19 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Playoff mandates are ridiculous. Judge by the way the team plays. You can go 11-5 and miss the playoffs or go 8-8 and qualify.

Yeah, remember when that happened with the Cheats with Matt Cassell in 2008? That was awesome. What was more awesome was what happened on September 8th. This is at least the 3rd time that I've mentioned Bernard Pollard's name in as many days. BERNARD POLLARD!  Works better than "Beetlejuice!" You should try it! Everyone should.