Thinking out of the box.

Torus34

There's a lot of ink spilled on the ability of a quarterback to lead the offense. Some QB's just exude enthusiasm. Anyone watching Mr. Patrick Mahomes can't help but notice the joy he finds in playing the game. He smiles more than any QB in recent history. And it's infectious! It puts SARS-CoV-2 to shame! Chances are that you can think of several other QB's, past and pre4sent, who give off sparks.

So far, so good. I submit that the same ability to spread enthusiasm's just as important in defensive squads. They can't win if they can't score, right? Perhaps the Jets would do well, especially at this present 0-6 nadir, to seek a regular catherine wheel of enthusiasm for the defense. Talent's great, true. But attitude also counts for a lot. 

4 hours ago, Torus34 said:

There's a lot of ink spilled on the ability of a quarterback to lead the offense. Some QB's just exude enthusiasm. Anyone watching Mr. Patrick Mahomes can't help but notice the joy he finds in playing the game. He smiles more than any QB in recent history. And it's infectious! It puts SARS-CoV-2 to shame! Chances are that you can think of several other QB's, past and pre4sent, who give off sparks.

So far, so good. I submit that the same ability to spread enthusiasm's just as important in defensive squads. They can't win if they can't score, right? Perhaps the Jets would do well, especially at this present 0-6 nadir, to seek a regular catherine wheel of enthusiasm for the defense. Talent's great, true. But attitude also counts for a lot. 

Chicken or the egg?

I would be smiling from ear to ear if I knew I was even pretty good and had Reid calling plays while having all those tools/toys at my disposal 

Put Mahomes on this Jets team and see how much he smiles. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

imo the issue with the jets is they have had no on field leadership for quite a few seasons.  they need the guys who will come in and kick the butts of the under performers.  they need guys who will get them mentally ready to play the game.  and if they don't get the motivation from the players then it has to come from the coaches.

Just now, CTJetsFan said:

Most people don't smile when they go to a job where they, and everyone around them, is failing miserably and are being ridiculed by the civilized world.

Hi! Thanks for the response.

That's a part of my point. Perhaps the Jets, at this time, shouldn't be looking for 'most people' in the draft but rather that exceptional person who will bring with him a 'can do' attitude. I rather doubt they'll get that as a perk with any highly-rated first round choice. Those worthies -- the cream of the crop, as it were -- are probably looking ahead to the Super Bowl in the not too distant future. They're Mr. Le'Veon Bell problems on the hoof if selected by a team currently in the position of the Jets.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

31 minutes ago, rangerous said:

imo the issue with the jets is they have had no on field leadership for quite a few seasons.  they need the guys who will come in and kick the butts of the under performers.  they need guys who will get them mentally ready to play the game.  and if they don't get the motivation from the players then it has to come from the coaches.

Yup!!! I think that the rare ability to inspire others to do their best -- even when you know for certain that your team's not up to making the play-off's -- is an overlooked 'statistic' in evaluating whether or not to pick up a new face on a team. These are a team's 'sparkplugs'. In fact, that 'name' was given to a baseball player of many season's past.

I suspect, too, that a tendency to pay more attention to a team's offensive squad than its defensive squad can hurt the overall win percentage. You don't need the world's best offense if you've got the best defense around. Part of a great defense is attitude. Based on some of the games I've watched this season, a good defense and a guy who can split the uprights inside of 55 yards is very tough to beat. 

Regards, stay safe 'n well.